JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2021 Governing Body Update #9

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 696 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On 11/12/2021 at 3:14 AM, Luigi62 said:

How do y'all feel about wearing amask at the KH?

Emoji Think GIF

Remember that these pilot programs also conform to local government mandates.  Some governments require masks, some do not. 

We know from our members here not all pilot programs require social distancing, masks, or vaccination. 

On 11/12/2021 at 10:38 AM, Hope said:

There are no distractions at my home.. I was surprised to hear that observation. My cat doesn't bother me during meetings.  There are more at the Hall, to be honest. People moving around, babies crying, looking to see commenters, latecomers. Brothers on duty have to count, attend, move mics around.

Perhaps the reason why some Friends stay off video. For the past mont, every  Thursday meeting, this Brothers cat jump on his chair to find his daughter. ( His reasoning)Once on her lap- they both pet the cat, on video. 

Needless to say when we start our meeting we are admonished to make sure our background is suitable, no distractions, etc.

We are all used to the babies, mics not functioning- etc/ never ( aside from an  eye seeing dog), see any other animals at the Hall. 

It’ll be an adjustment for some for all of us!!

We have not found the meetings on Zoom to have any more or less distractions than the meetings at the Hall.

If a person is easily distracted, where that person is will not be the factor in their being distracted ... they will find a distraction if one is not obvious.

At home, we can be distracted during a meeting on Zoom if we allow ourselves to. It is like the situation of a child that needs to go to the restroom several time during every meeting but can sit and watch TV at home for several hours without needing the restroom.

If we view the meeting on Zoom as a "real" Congregation Meeting, just like we do the meetings at the hall, we will not let the fact that we are in our home distract us from "the more important things".

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I was in the Truth when we still had "Book Studies", most of them held in private homes. We sat shoulder-to-shoulder on couches, LR chairs, kitchen chairs and even folding chairs.

The restroom was often quite near the room we held the Book Study in so the toilet flushing could easily be heard. We had adults, children and, sometimes. even the household pets in attendance and no one complained about being "distracted" because we were in someone's home - and we studied some rather deep publications at those meetings.

Meeting via Zoom should be less distracting than the old Book Study arrangement in private homes since we should not have to squeeze that number of people in a room never designed to hold such a meeting.

As much as I like meeting in person at being able to shake hands and hug, I am just as comfortable with the Zoom arrangement - I'm just glad we never had to miss the meetings due to the pandemic. I like to see the glass as half-full, not half-empty.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

10 hours ago, Qapla said:

The restroom was often quite near the room we held the Book Study in so the toilet flushing could easily be heard. We had adults, children and, sometimes. even the household pets in attendance and no one complained about being "distracted" because we were in someone's home - and we studied some rather deep publications at those meetings.

Br. John, I conducted a "Congregation Book Study" in a home and the brother that owned it was a father to several young, active sons.  They "rescued" a couple of baby racoons and kept them in the house.  When you attended the CBS, the racoons would hide under the couch.  During the meeting, they would reach out and try to grab your ankles or take a nibble out of your feet.

We learned to sit "stretched out" so that our feet were a little bit away from the edge of the couch.  It was a fun group and a good memory.

2 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Br. John, I conducted a "Congregation Book Study" in a home and the brother that owned it was a father to several young, active sons.  They "rescued" a couple of baby racoons and kept them in the house.  When you attended the CBS, the racoons would hide under the couch.  During the meeting, they would reach out and try to grab your ankles or take a nibble out of your feet.

We learned to sit "stretched out" so that our feet were a little bit away from the edge of the couch.  It was a fun group and a good memory.

Thanks for sharing :D

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

I too, remember those book study days with fond memories. We had a wonderful German brother who was a great teacher, and I still remember points we discussed, form even the deepest publication.

But while very enjoyable, it was a bit difficult having young children, with this particular conductor, as he would just stop talking, wait patiently, if a child made a slight noise.  Sometimes his silence was the best counsel we could have had!

Some sisters were quite frightened of this brother, but my wife and I loved him dearly.

Nice to hear other brothers experiences too.

• 6 months later...
On 11/12/2021 at 5:18 AM, WilliamChew said:

2021-11 GB Update #9 transcript.

Tanks William

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....