JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Covid-19 Vaccine Research, Development, Ingredients and Reactions

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 759 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:38 AM, ChocoBro said:

Can somebody with some medical knowledge please explain this?

Do I understand correctly: in layman's terms, this means they are planning to inject something reminiscent of a virus into our system that enters affected cells and tells those affected cells to produce a protein that is intended to ward off or block connection for the wild virus. 

Whatever it is I'm not taking it. 

Edited by runner92

• 2 weeks later...

Well what I understand is that the coronavirus vaccine has plasma in it, that is, is made with plasma, given permission from WHO (the World Health Organization). 

So, since plasma is a blood product itself, and not a factor it is not a conscience matter whether to accept the COVID19 vaccine.

Edited by Luezette

A missing word

And if, after all of their testing, they decide that the vaccine is safe, I will NOT take it.

The flu vaccine in itself is good so next month I'll get my yearly flu vaccine (next month because my daughter, who works in the health field, says that October is the best time for the flu vaccine).

6 hours ago, Luezette said:

Well what I understand is that the coronavirus vaccine has plasma in it, that is, is made with plasma, given permission from WHO (the World Health Organization). 

So, since plasma is a blood product itself, and not a factor it is not a conscience matter whether to accept the COVID19 vaccine.

I think there will be different versions, all reckoned to be the best. I'm not closing the door on anything yet, let's just see how it all works out.

7 hours ago, Luezette said:

I couldn't find this in any research I did. Do you have a link that shows the COVID vaccine contains plasma?

On 5/26/2020 at 10:45 AM, JennyM said:

I heard about GMO food. But whats the side effects. 

Toxicity. Genetically engineered foods are inherently unstable. ...
  • Allergic Reactions. ...
  • Antibiotic Resistance. ...
  • Immuno-suppression. ...
  • Cancer. ...
  • Loss of Nutrition.

24 minutes ago, Naturale said:

I did a search for the word "plasma" since I wasn't going to read through the entire thing, but I did not find one occurrence of "plasma" in that document unless I am looking for the wrong word.

I do not believe, thought, that the brothers have published anything that forbids vaccination on that basis though. I am looking around to be sure. 

8 hours ago, Luezette said:

Do you have a source for this?  Because I believe you are confusing two things. 

The vaccine will not contain plasma.  That's not how vaccines work. 

There is a current treatment that uses plasma, but this is not the vaccine. 

The plasma treatment is different than the vaccine. Thet are not the same. 

38 minutes ago, Bob said:

I did a search for the word "plasma" since I wasn't going to read through the entire thing, but I did not find one occurrence of "plasma" in that document unless I am looking for the wrong word.

I do not believe, thought, that the brothers have published anything that forbids vaccination on that basis though. I am looking around to be sure. 

Yes whether to have plasma is a conscience matter as far as I understand :)

It is there shown in the pdf as bovine "albumin" since the major protein in plasma is albumin. 

Large quantities of bovine albumin can be readily purified from bovine blood, a byproduct of the cattle industry.

The oval albumin is simply from egg white

There is also the recombinant human albumin which apparently is genetically engineered from rice

Edited by Naturale

21 minutes ago, Naturale said:

It is there shown in the pdf as  "albumin" since the major protein in plasma is albumin. 

Large quantities of bovine albumen can be readily purified from bovine blood, a byproduct of the cattle industry.

There is also the recombinant human albumin which apparently is genetically engineered from rice

Also  human albumen from human blood plasma.  Human serum albumin is the serum albumin found in human blood. It is the most abundant protein in human blood plasma; it constitutes about half of serum protein.

Edited by Naturale

3 hours ago, Naturale said:

It is there shown in the pdf as bovine "albumin" since the major protein in plasma is albumin. 

Large quantities of bovine albumin can be readily purified from bovine blood, a byproduct of the cattle industry.

We're getting off-topic.  If you want to discuss vaccines or anti-vaxxer reasonings, please feel free to start a new topic.  Let's keep this one specific to Covid-19 vaccines.

Bottom line and on point is this.  People keep confusing plasma infusion treatments with a Covid-19 vaccine.  These are not the same thing.  If this is why some Christians are refusing to get a Covid-19 vaccine, because they have confused plasma infusion treatments with vaccine ingredients, then they are not basing their conscience decision on truth and fact but, instead, are basing their decision on confusion and false belief.  We do not want to base our decisions on confusion and false beliefs.

If a Christian chooses to reject a vaccine because it contains a blood fraction called albumin, that is their choice.  We all need to remember, however, that blood fractions are a conscience decision.  Accepting a vaccine that contains albumin is a conscience decision.

It is dangerous to present our conscience decisions as facts.  It is irresponsible to claim that plasma is an ingredient in a vaccine when the reality is the ingredient is a blood fraction like albumin.  

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

It is dangerous to present our conscience decisions as facts.  It is irresponsible to claim that plasma is an ingredient in a vaccine when the reality is the ingredient is a blood fraction like albumin.  

Please don't misquote me bro - :/   I very clearly did state that whether to have plasma or not is a conscience matter.  

I was not getting confused with plasma infusion treatments either.

The major protein in plasma is albumin. 

In some cases a small amount of a blood fraction, such as albumin, may be included in a vaccination -  blood plasma derived albumin.  It is often bovine, it can be human.
The pdf info is simply a CDS document from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.  A factual document showing what ingredients can be used in vaccines generally since Bob asked  "Do you have a link that shows the COVID vaccine contains plasma?"  So since a Covid vaccine has not been developed yet as such then there is no way of knowing what the ingredients are going to be yet.  However the doc simply shows what substances can be used in vaccinations generally and this can be in some cases blood plasma derived albumin.  It can often be bovine, it can be human.

Edited by Naturale

Just reading this topic through. I have to clear something up.
Taking plasma itself, is NOT a conscience matter as it is part of the 4 main parts of blood.
RED, WHITE, PLATLETS, PLASMA.

Albumin is a fraction of Plasma and THAT is a conscience matter.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I appreciate the explanation on plasma vs albumin. When this vaccine/vaccines become available, we will have more information to make an informed decision. We’ve got the time now to wait and see. No need to make assertions whether you will or won’t take the vaccine now. If we’ve ever had a vaccine in the past, then we may have had albumin. If that didn’t bother our conscience then, why will it now?

Taking plasma as a treatment is not an option, that’s much easier to decide.

12 hours ago, Fiona said:

Just reading this topic through. I have to clear something up.
Taking plasma itself, is NOT a conscience matter as it is part of the 4 main parts of blood.
RED, WHITE, PLATLETS, PLASMA.

Albumin is a fraction of Plasma and THAT is a conscience matter.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Yes absolutely. I had meant plasma in the context of what was being said there about the major protein being albumin. 

• 2 weeks later...

If a vaccine  is developed and ready  for use ,I wouldn't  be surprised  if we get some guidance  in a well researched article from the society. . it will still could be a conscience issue issue. With so much  information  available many will struggle to understand it'll.

I  can also see pressure being applied for people to take the vaccine.

Unless these new vaccines are deigned and manufactured in a manner far different than vaccines now widely used there is little need for more information. It behooves all of us to understand the source and practice of vaccines. So far there is no evidence that th preparation of this vaccine is any different than the ones used over the last 50 years. It became confusing when some on this forum and elsewhere that direct plasama infusion and the vaccines one and the same. The use of vaccines should be something we have already researched and made a personal descision on just as when we rearched the use of blood fractions. We should not be basing our descisions on what others have decided for them selves.  

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

46 minutes ago, Old said:

Unless these new vaccines are deigned and manufactured in a manner far different than vaccines now widely used there is little need for more information. It behooves all of us to understand the source and practice of vaccines. So far there is no evidence that th preparation of this vaccine is any different than the ones used over the last 50 years. It became confusing when some on this forum and elsewhere that direct plasama infusion and the vaccines one and the same. The use of vaccines should be something we have already researched and made a personal descision on just as when we rearched the use of blood fractions. We should not be basing our descisions on what others have decided for them selves.  

You are so spot on brother.  It's to bad people don't or maybe won't do research on vaccines and the history behind them. It reminds me of people in false religion who won't even examine the truth and are so blinded!

1 hour ago, Old said:

A QFR just to refresh the difference between a vaccine and a serum shot of antibodies given after contracting a disease.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1974409?q=serum&p=par

Its still a conscience decision whether or nor to take a vaccine (including all the current ones out there). The safety of using vaccines is a different matter, and may also influence your own personal decision. But by and large, vaccines are generally safe and very effective in controlling and eliminating diseases.

This is our current understanding. We don’t know how the COVID vaccination will play out. If it follows the traditional way, and we had no objection due to conscience, then nothing changes there.  The safety side, as I said, is another argument. Are we convinced that the Covid vaccine has had the time to be fully tested and proven to be safe?