JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Covid-19 Vaccine Research, Development, Ingredients and Reactions

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 789 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The global race to secure doses of potential coronavirus vaccines continues, with more promising news about the high efficacy rate of two prime candidates.

This graph from The Economist shows that, as of November 12, Australia was second only to Canada when it came to confirmed orders of vaccine doses per person from the key developers, with rich countries snapping up more than half the projected supply.

"Less-well-off countries may have to wait years to inoculate their people," The Economist flagged.

48671a6e-8f60-4244-9dac-bf0bc246a848.png

Mandatory covid vaccines...coming to a state near you.

https://www.law.com/newyorklawjournal/2020/11/07/state-bar-passes-mandatory-covid-19-vaccination-recommendation

The New York State Bar Association on Saturday passed a resolution urging the state to consider making it mandatory for all New Yorkers to undergo COVID-19 vaccination when a vaccine becomes available, even if people object to it for “religious, philosophical or personal reasons.”

2 hours ago, Omoyeme said:

Well, so far it's not a law, only a group of lawyers suggesting that such a law is approved if most people reject to take the vaccine voluntarily. If such a law were passed, it would have a lot of ramifications. I like how the lawyers themselves admit this when they say "a mandate only be considered after there is expert consensus about the vaccine’s safety and efficacy". Everybody knows the process to test this vaccine has been shorter and less exhaustive than regular. If the state forced people to take it and it happens to have some unexpected side effects in the future, the state would have to give multimillion compensations to millions of citizens. I doubt they will risk doing this.

With the extremely tense political atmosphere the US is living right now I doubt any states will dare approving such laws of questionable constitutionality and which will certainly lead to riots and violence, besides legal processes.

As an additional reason, there will not be enough vaccines for everybody in the near future. 700 million doses would be necessary to vaccinate the whole population of the US. They're saying they could have 100 million ready by the end of the year. Once a considerable ratio of the population is vaccinated, especially the most vulnerable, cases of covid19 will plummet and then there will be no need to force anyone to take it against their will.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51176409

Covid: How do we know if a vaccine is safe? And other questions ( go to the link )

Trials of vaccines suggest they could be extremely effective in protecting people from coronavirus.

Here are some of your questions about the vaccines, and other related topics.

5 minutes ago, Omoyeme said:

What are the ingredients listed in these vaccines?

I would think at this point every ingredient is top secret because of the potential risk of theft.

U.S. Accuses Hackers of Trying to Steal Coronavirus Vaccine Data for China - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/21/us/politics/china-hacking-coronavirus-vaccine.html

As with all medical procedures each person must use their own conscience and do as much personal research as possible to make a decision that they can personally live with. And no one should make them feel bad either way. 

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

4 hours ago, carlos said:

With the extremely tense political atmosphere the US is living right now I doubt any states will dare approving such laws of questionable constitutionality and which will certainly lead to riots and violence, besides legal processes.

Speaking of U.S. constitutionality, there are legal precedents as the following article denotes:

States have authority to fine or jail people who refuse coronavirus vaccine, attorney says
Legal precedent dates back to 1905

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/states-have-authority-to-fine-or-jail-people-who-refuse-coronavirus-vaccine-attorney-says

As another example, through a U.S. federal mandate under Obama's Affordable Care Act, citizens were compelled to purchase health insurance up until 2018/19 and those who did not comply, or simply could not afford it for whatever reason, were penalized by a federal tax. (This mandate is now repealed.)

My point is that it's not implausible that U.S. Congress could well implement a law for mandatory vaccinations. We'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by Omoyeme

I would think that it would take a huge task force to able to enforce the issue, not so much as employers/employees  ( especially government workers ) or the school system, 50% of the population would welcome it, maybe, but not at first, like you said everything is a "wait and see"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/11/20/coronavirus-vaccine-economic-forecast-university-of-michigan/3778104001/

COVID-19 vaccine could return US economy to near normal by end of 2021

The outlook continues to be clouded by COVID-19 but a team of University of Michigan economists sees encouraging signs that could bring economic life close to normal by the end of 2021.

Much, though, will depend on how readily a vaccine becomes available by next summer. 

Be prepared to Zoom our meetings for another year or more, unless!

2 hours ago, Omoyeme said:

Speaking of U.S. constitutionality, there are legal precedents as the following article denotes:

States have authority to fine or jail people who refuse coronavirus vaccine, attorney says
Legal precedent dates back to 1905

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/states-have-authority-to-fine-or-jail-people-who-refuse-coronavirus-vaccine-attorney-says

As another example, through a U.S. federal mandate under Obama's Affordable Care Act, citizens were compelled to purchase health insurance up until 2018/19 and those who did not comply, or simply could not afford it for whatever reason, were penalized by a federal tax. (This mandate is now repealed.)

My point is that it's not implausible that U.S. Congress could well implement a law for mandatory vaccinations. We'll just have to wait and see.

They going to have to inject me with chocolate. Nothing more or less, but chocolate.

Big Pharma Firms will not be held accountable...

www.rt.com/news/496801-pharma-not-accountable-vaccine-effect

'Senior executive for pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca confirmed that his company cannot face legal action for any potential side effects caused by its Covid vaccine. 

Those affected will have no legal recourse'..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

37 minutes ago, Dove said:

Big Pharma Firms will not be held accountable...

www.rt.com/news/496801-pharma-not-accountable-vaccine-effect

'Senior executive for pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca confirmed that his company cannot face legal action for any potential side effects caused by its Covid vaccine. 

Those affected will have no legal recourse'..

That's why the VICP (vaccine injury compensation program) was created in 1986. Compensation for vaccine injuries are paid by the vaccine injury compensation trust fund.  These funds come from a tax on vaccines recommended by the CDC.

According to HRSA.gov/vaccine-compensation,  it comes under the Countermeasures Injury Compensation Program (CICP)

My thought on that is, that by the time it gets to that point the damage has already been done, and Pharma has the legal right to keep on producing and selling the drug without being held responsible and without any moral obligations or even remorse.. 

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

8 hours ago, Omoyeme said:

Yes, you are right, Sandra. There are legal precedents and if the government wants to do it they will. What I meant is rather that, if they try to force individuals to take a vaccine against their will, it's not so easy. There will be thousands of legal processes. Some judges might fail in favor of the governments, others might not. Someone would appeal it up to the Supreme Court. It would take years to resolve it and by then it would be a moot point. I don't think any government is interested in going down that rabbit hole.

But who knows.

3 hours ago, Dove said:

My thought on that is, that by the time it gets to that point the damage has already been done, and Pharma has the legal right to keep on producing and selling the drug without being held responsible and without any moral obligations or even remorse.. 

Maybe they wouldn't face legal consequences, but imagine the discredit of being known as the company that sold that vaccine that harmed millions. Nobody would trust their products again.

The idea that all laboratories are evil companies that intentionally try to harm people is a stereotype promote by adepts of pseudoscience. Labs work for money, as everyone else, but in my opinion they are the first ones interested in selling safe and effective treatments. At times greedy individuals have caused much harm, that's true, but it's also true that mostly they sell drugs that work very well and have healed millions or made life more tolerable for them. This vaccine has been developed following the official safety protocols, it has been tested in many thousands of people without important side effects. It should be quite safe. Of course there might be side effects that don't manifest themselves until years later, this is not impossible. Still, if the choice is millions dying now versus a possibility of maybe have an undetermined number of people suffer some kind of side effects (or maybe not) in the future, it still seems advantages outweigh disadvantages.

"in my opinion they are the first ones interested in selling safe and effective treatments."

This company tried to market a safe drug, what a horrible reaction it had!

After 60 years, scientists uncover how thalidomide produced birth defects - https://www.dana-farber.org/newsroom/news-releases/2018/after-60-years--scientists-uncover-how-thalidomide-produced-birth-defects/

"More than 60 years after the drug thalidomide caused birth defects in thousands of children whose mothers took the drug while pregnant, scientists at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute have solved a mystery that has lingered ever since the dangers of the drug first became apparent: how did the drug produce such severe fetal harm?"

On 11/20/2020 at 9:28 AM, Omoyeme said:

The discussions of mandetory vaccinations are taking place all over the world.  No government has come right out and said it will be implemented but none have said they will take "No jab,  no job" off the table either.  I think that as reportedly happened in Denmark last week, proposals to write it into law, are for the moment to gauge public reaction (the Danes protested on mass and the Bill to was withdrawn).

Personally I think it will be on a country by country (even a region by region) basis.  If in a country like say Singapore (China, who have already rolled out their own vaccine f Im not mistaken), it is announced and they get 95% vaccinations right off the bat, there will be no need to introduced draconien mesures.  If "vaccine hesistancy" as they call it gets stuck, despite social pressure and no doubt a rigorous media campaign at say 40 or 50% they will just have to "bring out the big guns".  In the end its the numbers they are after. If it can be done without sending the army door to door, I can't see why they would. 

With 80-90% vaccinated the 10-20% that hold out will probably be left to do so until they run  out of food (No Codiv passport no entre to public spaces including supermarkets), money ("No jab, no job" as the Australian authorities suggestion ) and/or they could just be rounded up and placed in the quarantine centers being built all over the world until they comply as the New Zealand  Premier said recently regarding travellers.  Ultimately I think it will be like a mobile Phone, you don't have to pass a law mandating it, you just have to make life unlivable without it.  Then , when by far the majority already have it,  there will be no pushback to laws to "deal" with the stragglers.

As for the timing,  the  Canadan health minister speculated that country will be pretty much vaccinated by the end of 2021.  If the past events are anything to go by,  all the countries on earth will be in Lockstep as far as timing is concerned.  2021 will definitely be "the year of the vaccine".

Edited by sunshine

Here in the USA the news is talking about not traveling during the upcoming holidays, at the same time they are giving tips on how to stay safe if you do plan to travel! This country has turned the virus into a political statement as the whole world has been watching, like the flu shot 50-60% of the population doesn't get one, there are still debates about wearing mask and plenty still refuse to wear them! I have stated before that schools, colleges, many work places will probably require a vaccine shot when available, unless excused by a doctor or for religious reasons, the other half or so will procrastinate or just plain refuse, I do believe!

1 hour ago, Lee49 said:

Here in the USA the news is talking about not traveling during the upcoming holidays, at the same time they are giving tips on how to stay safe if you do plan to travel! This country has turned the virus into a political statement as the whole world has been watching, like the flu shot 50-60% of the population doesn't get one, there are still debates about wearing mask and plenty still refuse to wear them! I have stated before that schools, colleges, many work places will probably require a vaccine shot when available, unless excused by a doctor or for religious reasons, the other half or so will procrastinate or just plain refuse, I do believe!

Yeah and I never got the flu shot, not because I'm some anti-vaxxer, but because I'm not worried about dying from the flu. In my line of work, I'll be required to get a covid vaccine as my employer told me it is mandatory. 

I always thought the government would indirectly mandate vaccinations, by making it illegal to use government-owned property unless you are vaccinated. At least there was some talk about the airline industry requiring some sort of vaccination card or something like that before being allowed to fly.