JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Covid-19 Vaccine Research, Development, Ingredients and Reactions

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 801 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

8 hours ago, Nancy M said:

Thank you Jay...Most people don't want to hear these facts and statistics. This is a powder keg!

No, these are not facts, these are lies. I don't know who that man is but everything that video is saying are twisted statistics or even outright lies. If it's in the internet it must be true, I guess.

Just to give an example: He starts by saying that from 2004 to 2014 there have been zero deaths by measles in the US. That's true. In the past, before the vaccine were introduced, every year several million people, mostly babies, contracted measles in the US. Of those, 400-500 died and tens of thousands suffered consequences for life. After the MMR vaccine was massively administered, that amount has gone down to zero. The occasional cases of measles in the US are all imported from abroad. So that figure actually proves that the MMR vaccine is very effective. Many hundreds of lives are saved by it every year. On the other hand, in other countries where babies are not given this vaccine, tens of thousands of them keep dying of measles every year. On the other hand, his figure of 108 or 168 babies killed by the MMR vaccine doesn't come from research by any hospital in Ottawa and is unjustified. The fact that someone who had been given a vaccine died doesn't mean that the vaccine was the cause of death. This twisting of facts is disgusting.

This is the problem with antivax reasoning. It's all based on hearsay, lies and twisted facts. It's an unavoidable fact that vaccines have saved many millions of lives and have eradicated diseases. Vaccines have some risks, as any other treatment, so every person must decide whether the benefits outweigh the risks. But that choice should be based on true and accurate information, not on Youtube videos full of lies and made by God knows whom.

Edited by carlos

45 minutes ago, carlos said:

The fact that someone who had been given a vaccine died doesn't mean that the vaccine was the cause of death.

And, even if they did die of the vaccine, that doesn't mean the vaccine is a deadly poison to everyone.  A minority of people have allergic reactions to things and those reactions can be fatal.  People with peanut allergies could die if they eat peanuts, but peanuts are not poisonous.  

I am allergic to some very common things that most people would not consider a problem

• Novocain
  • Benzocaine
  • NutraSweet
  • Enalapril

Just because these things affect me in an adverse way does not make them dangerous and something that ALL should avoid - it just means I should not use/take them.

Should I do a YouTube video warning everyone of the insidious dangers of these products? Should I claim they are inherently dangerous and the truth about them is being hidden?

Well, don't hold your breath for the video - after all, I can eat peanuts with no problem at all !

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

8 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

And, even if they did die of the vaccine, that doesn't mean the vaccine is a deadly poison to everyone.  A minority of people have allergic reactions to things and those reactions can be fatal.  People with peanut allergies could die if they eat peanuts, but peanuts are not poisonous.  

On occasion people have died because a vaccine they were given was in bad condition. That's sad. But that doesn't mean the vaccine is dangerous.

People die of food poisoning when they eat something spoiled, but that doesn't mean that food is dangerous, only when it goes bad.

2 minutes ago, carlos said:

On occasion people have died because a vaccine they were given was in bad condition

One of the C-19 vaccines needs to be stored extremely cold and used within 6 hours of taking it out of storage. The question is, how "exact" is that 6 hours. Will the vaccine still be usable at 6:02 minutes or will it become unstable at 5:58 minutes? It may even come down to how accurate those giving the vaccine are with their time keeping. That does not mean that this particular vaccine is inherently evil or that the ones that don't require such storage are dangerous.

At times the product is vilified when the person handling/administering the product does not follow directions - and it is the product that gets the bad name, not the person who didn't follow protocol.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

7 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

It now openly being said the covid vaccine will be mandatory in Australia when the vaccine is ready for distribution. The PM has said he’s aiming for 95% of the population, in order for it to have the desired effect. He said it will be “as mandatory as you can get”.

The CEO of Qantas said it will be mandatory for international flights in and out of Australia, quite possibly domestic as well.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/coronavirus-vaccinations-will-be-mandatory-to-board-qantas-flights-ceo-alan-joyce-says

Me after vaccine, slight side effect...but I live LOL :lol1:

Insectosaurus still.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

The coronavirus vaccine produced by Oxford University and AstraZeneca will be available on a non-profit basis “in perpetuity” to low- and middle-income countries in the developing world.

The details of arrangements to supply poorer countries came as AstraZeneca revealed the interim results of a phase 3 trial of the vaccine, which is being heralded as the first to meet the more challenging requirements of the developing world.

However, vaccine hopes for poorer nations were tempered by the head of the World Health Organization, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who said there was a risk the world’s poor could be trampled in a “stampede for vaccines”, adding that $4.3bn (£3.2bn) was still needed in order to share vaccines fairly.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/nov/23/oxford-astrazeneca-results-covid-vaccine-developing-countries

So, AstraZeneca has announced that it will not be seeking to make a profit from its sales to poorer nations which has to be a good thing.

Also, it appears to be the cheapest of all the current options for those having to pay for it t market price, as well as being easier to store (in an ordinary fridge) and lasts for 6 months.

I would imagine that here in the UK if it's anything like the flu vaccine a huge slice of the population will be offered it for free. In fact it could be that everyone who wants the vaccination here will get it free, but I suppose we'll have to wait to see how things develop.

Anyway, good to see some progress being made. 

No matter how good human scientists intentions may be, they lack wisdom.  Jeremiah 10

23 I well know, O Jehovah, that man’s way does not belong to him.

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.+

The most frequently reported autoimmune manifestations from various vaccinations are arthritis, vasculitis, encephalitis, neuropathy, and multiple sclerosis for the hepatitis B vaccine; acute reactive or chronic arthritis for the measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine; Guillain-Barré syndrome for the influenza vaccine; and various neurological disorders for the varicella vaccine.

"for all the good that science has done, it is now faced with the hard reality that many of its inventions are damaging the environment and threatening human and animal life. How plain it is becoming that man, however well meaning and intelligent, cannot solve his problems by himself"   

Edited by Naturale

On 11/21/2020 at 10:38 AM, Bob said:

I always thought the government would indirectly mandate vaccinations, by making it illegal to use government-owned property unless you are vaccinated. At least there was some talk about the airline industry requiring some sort of vaccination card or something like that before being allowed to fly.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/qantas-coronavirus-vaccination-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Qantas boss says passengers will need to be vaccinated for international flights

https://s2.washingtonpost.com/camp-rw/?trackId=5e79f418ade4e21f597f0a35&s=5fbd7d029d2fda0efb730ada&linknum=1&linktot=42

Wasgington Post

As we wrote in yesterday's letter, the U.S. vaccine program is focused on inoculating as many Americans as possible, as quickly as possible, an enormous challenge. But China and Russia are playing a deeper game, rushing to share their own state-backed vaccines with countries in need, thus buying influence that could help them shape the post-pandemic world order. “For the U.S. this creates geopolitical nightmares, because we are not in the game,” David Fidler, senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations, told our World desk.

Meanwhile, there is a deep suspicion of a U.S. vaccine in some of the same communities that most need one, according to a new survey. Fewer than half of Black people surveyed and only two-thirds of Latinos said they were likely to get inoculated. Even fewer believe the shots will be safe and effective.

Operation Warp Speed

https://www.defense.gov/Explore/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Operation-Warp-Speed/

distributed by the military,  of all people!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-vaccine-distribution-60-minutes-2020-11-08/

Is this not intimidation?  or what?

NPR:

Dr. Moncef Slaoui, chief scientific adviser for Operation Warp Speed and former Moderna board member, says he's "ecstatic" about the news. He says the announcement exceeded his expectations for efficacy and will be key to ending the pandemic.

"If enough of us get vaccinated, there is a good chance that we keep this virus at very, very low levels, which means we can go back to normal life — fully normal life," Slaoui says.

Edited by Omoyeme

The man in the video and us here are just people on the internet with an opinion.  Since we are not doctors, we don't have the right to make significant comments about vaccines being either safe or unsafe, but how about advise people to do some research.  For information from doctors who give the pros and cons on vaccines go to "Physicians for informed consent".

So regarding the the US, the  government paid out $4.4 billion over more than 30 years covering injuries relating to a host of vaccines—from flu to polio, but payouts for potential injuries from Covid-19 vaccines will be covered by a far less-generous program known as the Countermeasures Injury Compensation Fund, which was set up in 2010 to cover harm resulting from vaccines for a flu pandemic, or drugs to treat an anthrax or Ebola outbreak, for example.  The Countermeasures Injury Compensation Program has been designated to handle any issues with a COVID-19 vaccine under the Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness (PREP) Act. The program is run by an agency under the US Dept of Health and Human Services. The PREP Act was designed to limit legal liability in matters relating to matters of public importance. In this case, fighting against COVID-19.  If a person is injured  there is a lot more immunity for the drug manufacturers than for the patient.The Countermeasures Injury Compensation Program does not pay for experts,for costs, for getting medical records and it does not pay for an attorney.

Edited by Naturale

One of the vaccine trials is being run by Oxford University and AstraZeneca.  It is one of the trial vaccines Australia has signed up for.  This week it released its phase three trial results.  There was some controversy in the results.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-28/has-australia-picked-the-covid19-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-dud/12928128

"The interim results of the phase 3 trial found the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine was 62 per cent effective in people who received two doses.

But when volunteers were given a half dose followed by a full dose, that efficacy shot up to 90 per cent.

The company later acknowledged that the half dose was a "manufacturing issue" and given to the trial participants by mistake.

It also revealed only 2,741 people had been given the half dose while 8,895 people received the two full doses.

Facing increasing pressure to clarify the data, AstraZeneca chief executive Pascal Soriot said on Friday it would now likely conduct a new global clinical trial to assess the vaccine's efficacy."

I'd be wondering how they thought it's ok to even publish this as a credible result!  However, they have admitted it needs to do the trials anew to get an "unpolluted" result.

"[AstraZeneca] hasn't handled it the best," RMIT immunology and vaccine expert Kylie Quinn said.

"The error in the dosing is disappointing, disappointing to hear that that would happen at this particular point in time.

"But this whole situation highlights the importance of clear communication of exactly what's being done.

"And I hope in one respect the reaction [across the world] reassures the community how much scrutiny there is, and that by the time it gets approved by a regulatory body we can be reassured their vaccines have gone through a very high level of scrutiny:"

I'm hoping we get to the new world before this vaccine is approved and "ready".

Covid cases are declining significantly in most areas of the UK and Britain.  The same disease doesn't go on indefinitely.  (No doubt as it starts to naturally disappear the governments will give the vaccine the credit)  We'll soon be onto the next virus as this system pants on.  In Yorkshire over 10,000 Turkeys had to be culled due to bird flu. Let's hope that particular virus doesn't mutate and infect any humans.  that's how the 1918 flu pandemic began - from an avian virus.

Edited by Naturale

The 1918 flu pandemic was so deadly as a direct result of the appalling living conditions at this tragic time. The trenches would have been the perfect breeding grounds for infections among the World War One soldiers. Patrick Saunders-Hastings at Carleton University in Ottawa says  “The virus emerged when populations, which previously had little contact with each other, were brought together on the battlefield,”   “And on a lot of cases they were dealing with other injuries and they were under-nourished.” Vitamin B deficiencies, in particular, have been noted to increase mortality rates in later pandemics, he says.

Those left at home were still living in closed, crowded conditions that led to greater exposure to the virus. This not only accelerated transmission, increasing the chances that people would become infected; it also increased the severity of the symptoms.   It is well understood that improved sanitation and hygiene, associated with industrialisation and general reductions in poverty, have contributed significantly to overall reductions in infectious disease mortality in the 20th Century.

Analysing records from Chicago during the 1918 pandemic shows factors such as population density and unemployment directly influenced someone’s chance of catching the disease.

Edited by Naturale

So I just looked at the 1918 flu strain and it was H1N1 influenza A virus. whereas the current flu strain in the turkeys  is flu strain H5N8

Bird flu, or avian flu, is an infectious type of influenza that spreads among birds. In rare cases, it can affect humans. There are lots of different strains of bird flu virus. Most of them don't infect humans. But there are 4 strains that have caused concern in recent years:

H5N1 (since 1997)

H7N9 (since 2013)

H5N6 (since 2014)

H5N8 (since 2016)

Although H5N1, H7N9 and H5N6 don't infect people easily and aren't usually spread from human to human, several people have been infected around the world, leading to a number of deaths. H5N8 has not infected any humans worldwide to date

No humans have been infected with H5N1, H7N9, H5N6 or H5N8 bird flu in the UK – this includes the type of H5N6 virus recently found in humans in China. Plans are in place to manage any suspected cases. H5N8 bird flu has been found in some wild birds and poultry in the UK. H5N6 has also been found in some wild birds in the UK but is a different strain to that seen in China.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bird-flu/

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00loB7Hun_wynH_h4klsec5h-Tl4w:1606674089113&q=Is+the+Spanish+flu+still+with+us%3F&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiqneeyr6jtAhVKrFkKHYy2B4sQzmd6BAgLEAU&biw=914&bih=472

Is the Spanish flu still with us?

Descendants of the 1918 H1N1 virus make up the influenza viruses we're fighting today. “The 1918 flu is still with us, in that sense,” said Ann Reid, the executive director of the National Center for Science Education who successfully sequenced the genetic makeup of the 1918 influenza virus in the 1990s.Sep 3, 2020

I’m avoiding that vaccine for a little bit. I’m sorry, but doctors and governments lie and twist things too. Sometimes they don’t even know what in the world they’re talking about. Even a personal doctor I had was trying to get me on blood pressure medication for a symptom I had. When I finally looked at my own chart, I was very low in Vitamin B12. I read up on it and found out that what I was experiencing was a symptom of being low in B12. Started taking some and my symptom went away. When I feel it coming back, I take B12 and it goes away. My doctor didn’t even bother to tell me I was low in that vitamin. She went straight to a pill, probably for a kickback. 

I don’t automatically trust anything and will dig into it before I make a decision. I will wait and see what happens with this vaccine too.

Edited by runner92

41 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00loB7Hun_wynH_h4klsec5h-Tl4w:1606674089113&q=Is+the+Spanish+flu+still+with+us%3F&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiqneeyr6jtAhVKrFkKHYy2B4sQzmd6BAgLEAU&biw=914&bih=472

Is the Spanish flu still with us?

Descendants of the 1918 H1N1 virus make up the influenza viruses we're fighting today. “The 1918 flu is still with us, in that sense,” said Ann Reid, the executive director of the National Center for Science Education who successfully sequenced the genetic makeup of the 1918 influenza virus in the 1990s.Sep 3, 2020

This virus is going to be with us too. I know people don’t want to hear it, but there has never been a cold vaccine. The antibodies from COVID don’t even last, so what makes them think the vaccine will work? The flu vaccines aren’t even fool proof. 

Edited by runner92