JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Covid-19 Vaccine Research, Development, Ingredients and Reactions

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 789 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

g03 5/8 pp. 26-27 -  Does Christian Unity Require Uniformity?

"Today Christians may make decisions that differ from those of other Christians when it comes to matters of employment, health, recreation, or some other area that involves personal choice. Such variety could disturb some. ...

"Love for fellowman moves us to respect the rights of others to make conscientious decisions in personal matters. (Romans 14:3, 4; Galatians 5:13) Paul set a fine example in this regard when he submitted to the authority of the first-century governing body in a matter involving doctrine. (Matthew 24:45-47; Acts 15:1, 2) At the same time, he encouraged everyone to respect the conscience of fellow Christians in matters that have been left to personal decision.—1 Corinthians 10:25-33.
...   no one should be condemned for making a conscientious decision that does not conflict with Bible principles. (James 4:12)

7 hours ago, Naturale said:

Well, it is  more than condescending to say it is like "questioning the Holocaust or saying the earth is flat". No the vaccine issue does not "belong in the realm of conspiracy theories" at all, that is a seriously misguided statement.  Your comment is very condemning and shows no respect.

I apologize, Susanna. I didn't mean to offend you or anyone.

There is so much evidence of the effectiveness of vaccines that I really have trouble believing that someone actually denies it. I was just thinking aloud.

But I really didn't mean to offend and I'd rather not pursue a discussion that is only going to cause hurt feelings. You have the right to believe whatever you want and that must be respected. I wasn't going to respond in order to drop the discussion, but I thought you deserved an apology.

Edited by carlos

I can't find the post on this thread about the flu shot, but I thought I'd respond to it anyway. About 20 years ago, my friend, a sister, and I took a flu shot same day, same doc. We both got sick, but I had such extreme reactions, I ended up in bed for a long time, then in hosp, where I was diagnosed with asthma (side note: first appearance of this)among other things. Anyway, my then doc said don't accept another flu shot, ever. My father-in-law, who had lived with us, also got very sick immediately following flu shot. Previously, i found many online reports about sickness and death associated with flu shots. I haven't found any of these for a long time. Over recent years, docs have told me that the flu shots have improved and people are not getting serious reax. In a discussion with my primary, we considered the risks of flu shot and possibility of double exposures this year. Since I have epipens and live next door to a hospital, doc thought I should try the flu shot. So, after twenty years, I accepted a flu shot. No serious reax.  Hope everyone is staying healthy. y(respects each person's decision)s

Did you get the over 65 "double dose" flu shot? That is what the seniors get, I guess you can opt out and just get the single dose, I got the double dose, my arm was a little sore for about 3 days ( common ) I know you cannot be allergic to eggs, maybe some who take it don't even know if they are, my niece is, so she doesn't get one. About 5 years ago the person at the minute clinic while I was sitting down and she was standing up stuck me high on my shoulder, I even jerked a little as it hurt, that night as I was holding my tablet ( with the same arm as the shot ) my arm was very painful, I took some ibuprofen, next day still hurting, my arm was sore for months afterward, I tell that story every time I get a shot ' please don't hit me high on the shoulder "! My doctor office does not give shots, so I go to the walk ins.

From World Atlas: 

"People die from the flu in various ways. Some people develop severe breathing problems, and cannot get enough oxygen to their organs, in the same way that people die from COVID-19. When this happens, their body shuts down. This is usually caused when bacterial pneumonia develops. The flu causes so much inflammation in your lungs that it damages your lung tissues. Bacteria can then get in and cause trouble.  

Other people can experience severe dehydration with the flu, such as babies, which can be deadly. Furthermore, if your immune system overreacts to the flu, you could die. This is called sepsis. Sepsis causes those cytokine storms you might have heard of in relation to the coronavirus. When your body overreacts to the flu, it can develop so much inflammation that multiple organ systems shut down, which can kill you. 

The scary thing about the flu is that you cannot really tell who will react very badly to it. This illness turns deadly more often for older adults over 65, and children under the age of five, however."  

My reax were not from allergies. I had repetitive pneumonias and infections. Orig doc put me on strong antibiotic and thought it surprising that I had throat, ear, and sinus infections, but had managed to escape sepsis. When I eventually got to hosp, they found pneumonia and asthma, but hosp said family doc had given me enough antibiotics to treat anything bacterial. I would not like to have to repeat that experience. I have already had pneumonia this year. Hope that means I'm set for now.

I’ve vaccinated my children because I think a little bit of pain from an injection for a few days is nothing comparable to developing these awful diseases.

Only last years convention, all Jehovah’s witnesses in England (I think. Or maybe only those with children or pregnant or something). Anyways, we got a letter from Public Health England letting us know that there was a measles outbreak in the UK and if not been vaccinated then to stay away from convention. 

I know of some that haven’t vaccinated their children and that is 100% completely up to them, I applaud them for looking into pros and cons and deciding for their families. But those children are now relying on herd immunity. That enough other children have been vaccinated so that these diseases don’t crop up again. And those children didn’t come to the convention last year because of it. Which is a shame. 

The only reaction we got was a little 38 degree fever with one child and it disappeared in a day. Also a bit of pain to their poor arms and legs, but nothing that mummy cuddles wouldn’t help with. Hehe. 

Do you guys believe there really is a vaccine coming?

I mean they tell us on the news what government agencies have released, which could be true I suppose, but I wonder.

Because coronavirus is not just the novel covid, but a family of viruses, all of which are very common and yet none of which have a vaccine, despite the fact that this kind of virus has been known about for decades.

One of the coronaviruses is or of the viruses (other than rhinovirus) that cause the "common cold", and while we have a glue shot, we don't have a "cold shot" and probably won't any time soon.

It's kind of scary, because governments keep moving goal posts to when life should return to some semblance of normalcy, and now the goalpost seems to be fixed at "when there's a vaccine"

Thing is, if a covid 19 vaccine was that easily employable that I could be released in a year or so, then why have none of the other strains of the coronavirus obtain a vaccine?

Personally, I think we're going to have continuous and repeated lockdowns and social distancing until the new system.

I really hope I'm wrong though. I've been wrong about some of these things before

Edited by Katty

Antivirals have been around for a long time, like acyclovir. Med communities have been reluctant to prescribe antivirals as anti-infectives. As a result there has been little empirical evidence re: the effects and types of antiviral injections/treatments. I have had had many infections that could have been either viral or bacterial. I was at the ER in April with pneumonia. The Nurse practitioner prescribed me an antibiotic, without considering treatment for the fact that it could be viral. This has happened repeatedly, in my experience.  I did survive the last pneumonia. I have fought off countless pneumonias without medication, but when it was treated, I was never given an antiviral. Because of limiting their own experience with antivirals, the med community has not built up an arsenal of info with use of and types of antivirals. Just an observation based on the experience of a person who regularly has pneumonia, bronchitis, pleurisy, and a number of other respiratory infections.  YS,(Wheezer) 

Edited by kejedo

12 hours ago, Katty said:

Do you guys believe there really is a vaccine coming?

No. There are lots of viruses we live with. HIV is one of them. We don't have a cure, just meds that reduce viral load to reduce infectiousness. I think we will not be able to avoid getting Covid but when we get it we may get a shot that reduces our ability to spread it. That's as good as I see it ever getting in this system. 

HIV is a treatable virus. The available medications have improved as time went on. I do think there will be a treatment for COVID. There are already options to shorten the life of the illness once in the human body. I expect more effective treatments to arise before the availability of  a vaccine.  

Viruses are not accidents.  They serve a purpose... Pound for pound theres morevirus in oceans then bacteria.

Plus they are not alive but function as protien tools that mess with Dna and cells and protiens.... They were designed for a purpose.  We mostly live with them causing no illnesses.

I too am convinced soon there will be both a vaccine and a treatment. In fact, they are treating the virus much better now than they did in March or April, where they were simply trying all kinds of drugs to see if someone worked by sheer fluke. Just look at the huge difference in mortal victims despite the number of infections being similar.

The point about the common cold virus is a good one. But that is not just one virus, it's a whole family with hundreds of different specimens. I guess that developing a vaccine just for one of them is not commercially profitable. They would have to develop hundreds of vaccines, one for each virus. But covid19 is a single one. Besides, several vaccines exist already and they seem quite effective. What is being tested now is possible side effects, vaccine effectiveness is already achieved.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03166-8

What Pfizer's landmark COVID vaccine results mean for the pandemic

"It works! Scientists have greeted with cautious optimism a press-release declaring positive interim results from a coronavirus vaccine trial — the first to report from the final, ‘phase III’ round of human testing."

"Drug company Pfizer’s announcement on 9 November offers the first compelling evidence that a vaccine can prevent COVID-19 — and bodes well for other COVID-19 vaccines in development. But the information released at this early stage does not answer key questions that will determine whether the Pfizer vaccine, and others like it, can prevent the most severe cases or quell the coronavirus pandemic."

"Besides, several vaccines exist already and they seem quite effective." from Carlos

Study: Hydroxycholorquine doesn't work against Covid-19 - https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/09/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html

In this study, a randomized trial involved 479 Covid-19 patients hospitalized with respiratory illness. Some received hydroxychloroquine, and some received a placebo.

The results found strong evidence that hydroxychloroquine is "not beneficial" for adults hospitalized with Covid-19. They found "no significant difference between the hydroxychloroquine and placebo groups."

"despite President Donald Trump's promotion of the drug."

On 11/3/2020 at 4:23 PM, carlos said:

I too am convinced soon there will be both a vaccine and a treatment. In fact, they are treating the virus much better now than they did in March or April, where they were simply trying all kinds of drugs to see if someone worked by sheer fluke. Just look at the huge difference in mortal victims despite the number of infections being similar.

The point about the common cold virus is a good one. But that is not just one virus, it's a whole family with hundreds of different specimens. I guess that developing a vaccine just for one of them is not commercially profitable. They would have to develop hundreds of vaccines, one for each virus. But covid19 is a single one. Besides, several vaccines exist already and they seem quite effective. What is being tested now is possible side effects, vaccine effectiveness is already achieved.

I will wait 6 months on this new medicine. A little too early.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/09/health/lilly-coronavirus-monoclonal-fda-eua/index.html

FDA gives emergency OK to Lilly's antibody treatment for Covid-19

"The US Food and Drug Administration said Monday it had issued an emergency use authorization for Eli Lilly and Co's monoclonal antibody therapy to treat mild to moderate coronavirus infections in adults and children.

The single antibody treatment, called bamlanivimab, must be infused in a hospital or other health care setting. It is the first monoclonal antibody to be authorized for use in treating coronavirus. The idea is to kick-start an immune response against infection."

say that 10 times fast! 

On 11/9/2020 at 9:54 PM, Lee49 said:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03166-8

What Pfizer's landmark COVID vaccine results mean for the pandemic

"It works! Scientists have greeted with cautious optimism a press-release declaring positive interim results from a coronavirus vaccine trial — the first to report from the final, ‘phase III’ round of human testing."

"Drug company Pfizer’s announcement on 9 November offers the first compelling evidence that a vaccine can prevent COVID-19 — and bodes well for other COVID-19 vaccines in development. But the information released at this early stage does not answer key questions that will determine whether the Pfizer vaccine, and others like it, can prevent the most severe cases or quell the coronavirus pandemic."

There's a lot of noise about this one.. I do think maybe this is the big one.   UK has apparently preordered 30 million doses and looks to be rolling them out by december.  Its about the timing I expected, maybe a few weeks earlier (....I was thinking January/Feb 2021 for Europe).  America has operation warpseed but even so... maybe the global rollout will indeed take 3-6 months.  However you look at it, the speed (and scope) of this thing  is  set to be very impressive.    

Edited by sunshine

2 minutes ago, sunshine said:

There's a lot of noise about this one.. I do think maybe this is the big one.   UK has apparently preordered 30 million doses and looks to be rolling them out by december.  Its about the timing I expected, maybe a few weeks earlier (....I was thinking January/Feb 2021 for Europe).  America has operation warpseed but even so... maybe the global rollout will indeed take 3-6 months.  However you look at it, the speed,of this is  set to be very impressive.    

Just be careful sis and don’t forget the best medicine is chocolate. 

5 minutes ago, sunshine said:

However you look at it, the speed,of this is  set to be very impressive.    

An expert they interviewed today on tv said they have done in one year what usually takes ten.

Of course the first company to make a vaccine available will conquer the market.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-11/us-to-start-pfizer-covid-19-vaccinations-next-month-if-approved/12870104

But the vaccine, based on a novel technology that uses synthetic mRNA to activate the immune system against the virus, comes with special challenges as it needs to be stored at minus 70 degrees Celsius or below — equivalent to an Antarctic winter.

An expert they interviewed today on tv said they have done in one year what usually takes ten.
Of course the first company to make a vaccine available will conquer the market.

What did they cut down on?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”