JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Earthquakes In One Place After Another...

This has just happened so no indepth reports yet.  But it seems to have been felt across a very wide area.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-22/earthquake-victoria-melbourne-nsw-sydney-canberra-act/100481732

Reports of damaged buildings are emerging in Victoria, after a magnitude-6 earthquake was felt across Australia's south-east.

The quake was felt in Melbourne, regional Victoria as well as Sydney, regional New South Wales, the ACT, Adelaide and Launceston in Tasmania.

There are reports emerging of significant damage in some parts of Victoria.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

5 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

This has just happened so no indepth reports yet.  But it seems to have been felt across a very wide area.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-22/earthquake-victoria-melbourne-nsw-sydney-canberra-act/100481732

Reports of damaged buildings are emerging in Victoria, after a magnitude-6 earthquake was felt across Australia's south-east.

The quake was felt in Melbourne, regional Victoria as well as Sydney, regional New South Wales, the ACT, Adelaide and Launceston in Tasmania.

There are reports emerging of significant damage in some parts of Victoria.

image.thumb.png.29f3a8132e5b085428f1f32d51b4ffe7.png

Edited by Sofia

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

Video of building damage from the 6.0 in Australia:

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/magnitude-60-earthquake-felt-in-melbourne/video/1f99c71a471cd13b758cfe4f74833c00

Hong Kong (CNN)An earthquake of magnitude 6.0 struck near Melbourne in southern Australia on Wednesday, according to the Victoria State Emergency Service's news feed (VICSES News) on Twitter.

"A magnitude 6.0 #Earthquake has occurred with an epicentre near Mansfield in Victoria," the tweet from VICSES News read, calling on citizens to "please be patient as lines may be busy."

Videos on social media showed at least one building suffered some minor damage and power lines disrupted in the central business district of Melbourne, where some people could be seen on the streets following the quake.

"There is no tsunami threat" VICSES News said in a follow up tweet.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/21/australia/melbourne-earthquake-intl-hnk/index.html

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

image.thumb.png.bd7aa24314855a7d25901d05b818afd6.png

Videos on social media showed at least one building suffered some minor damage and power lines disrupted in the central business district of Melbourne, Australia's second largest city, where some people could be seen on the streets following the quake.

Melbourne residents described their shock and surprise as houses across the city began to shake, in a city which has not had an earthquake of a similar size in decades.

Poor Brother Greg, it's scary to feel those tremors. Maybe it would be good to set up tents out in the open. There might be after shocks. 

Daydream -

Scientists have discovered that daydreaming is an important tool for creativity. It causes a rush of activity in a circuit, which connects different parts of the brain and allows the mind to make new associations.

Melbourne is really in shock. They are in lockdown due to coronavirus spreading, they have had awful violent protest marches for three days, and then this 5.9 earthquake this morning. Look at how spooked this poor newsreader was when reporting about the earthquake and the lights go out!

Gotta feel for you brothers and sisters in Melbourne atm. Stay safe! 🌹🌹

1 hour ago, happiness IS said:

Poor Brother Greg, it's scary to feel those tremors. Maybe it would be good to set up tents out in the open. There might be after shocks. 

Thank you for thinking about me :givehug:

Our CO told us to have our go bags ready in case of aftershocks (so far 6 smaller quakes followed) last one not long ago. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

18 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

Thank you for thinking about me :givehug:

Our CO told us to have our go bags ready in case of aftershocks (so far 6 smaller quakes followed) last one not long ago. 

I'm so sorry Greg.  I was thinking of you but I couldn't remember your name - old age is catching up with my brain. 🙄😪  You, and all my Victorian brothers and sisters will be in my prayers tonight. Take care and stay safe. 💜

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

6 minutes ago, EccentricM said:

I went to click that to watch and it ended up being a photograph... 😄

sorry 😕 there are videos on youtube about this.

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

I was in the backyard when it happened and felt all the doors in the house shake..my initial thought was that my house was being broken in to. 😅 But soon realised it was an earthquake. 

Really love how quick our elders contacted us to check up on us…along with lots of brothers and sisters. Where else would you get such loving concern?! 🥰

3 hours ago, EccentricM said:

I went to click that to watch and it ended up being a photograph... 😄

I too went and clicked the arrow and then realized I had also forgotten to include the link. Today is 2nd day of circuit overseer visit. 9.30 am meeting for FS, followed by 2 hours of telephone witnessing, 1.30 pm more of the same witnessing. So rather frazzled by this very young 38 yr old new overseer on the circuit. Huff and puffing. 7.45 pm Meeting with pioneers. 

I apologize for my oversight, my long suffering brothers and sisters. 

image.png.337727d40101dab5ee65586823ffa614.png

Daydream -

Scientists have discovered that daydreaming is an important tool for creativity. It causes a rush of activity in a circuit, which connects different parts of the brain and allows the mind to make new associations.

1 hour ago, happiness IS said:

I too went and clicked the arrow and then realized I had also forgotten to include the link. Today is 2nd day of circuit overseer visit. 9.30 am meeting for FS, followed by 2 hours of telephone witnessing, 1.30 pm more of the same witnessing. So rather frazzled by this very young 38 yr old new overseer on the circuit. Huff and puffing. 7.45 pm Meeting with pioneers. 

I apologize for my oversight, my long suffering brothers and sisters. 

image.png.337727d40101dab5ee65586823ffa614.png

I wonder if the cat on the right ate to much chocolate? Or was it vice versa?

13 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

It is on my phone's app:

403 miles down

Screenshot_20210923_092136.thumb.jpg.4e489689e2004a1c4b55cbff6788168f.jpg

Screenshot_20210923_092044.thumb.jpg.e883d0186a54e5bd7309f9d66959c52b.jpg

Screenshot_20210923_092010.thumb.jpg.89a2608bb98a7602523e182a82aed290.jpg

I'm going to go read those 36 felt it reports.

It’s been reviewed… not in service data now 

I Googled the source for the earthquake.  It was reported by INPRES:

9440575_ScreenShot2021-09-23at9_41_46AM.png.b47b1614e235831114fee66d99ddea8a.png

Sounds like a German and Argentine seismologic collaboration:

https://www.gfz-potsdam.de/en/section/seismology/projects/inpres-global-seismological-network-cooperation-between-inpres-argentina-and-gfz/

16 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Deep earthquake then? So that’s better than shallow, hey? But massive!!!

Deep quakes are better for people living in the vicinity of the quake's epicenter, but they are actually worse in the long run because deep quakes cause larger, shallower quakes.

7 minutes ago, shali said:

So I assume they take the richter scale measurement from where the quake originated not what it feels like at the surface? 

Yes.

10 minutes ago, Sofia said:

It’s been reviewed… not in service data now 

The last three or four jaw dropping jolts (9.0+ in magnitude) have all turned out to be erroneous.

Guess the USGS isn't the only agency that suffers from "computer glitch" es.   

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

The 36 felt it reports were merged with the reports from the 6.0 in Argentina on Sep. 8th.

They turned out to be didn't feel it reports. :D 

And a number of complaints that INPRES shouldn't scare the beejeebers out of people. :D 

scary ... happened today:

also interesting: the church is ... gone