JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

M. Stephen Lett: Beware of the Power of Materialism (Matt. 6:11)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 366 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On 4/5/2023 at 3:29 PM, truce said:

@Hope Give us something from your own perspective. What is your take on this whole issue? I always love the way you express things from your own angle, including experiences personal or shared. I think this is a very fascinating thread and should receive more views and comments, more viewpoints, etc. Personally I think the way we view materialism can be relative depending on many factors. But in all I agree that greed and a lack of trust in Jehovah (for those who are his servants) are the root causes of materialism. 

Give me a bit - I'll see what I can think of... 😉 

I need a Tablet but as I can't at the moment I use the resource to have food pay taxes and try to lead a simple life, I need it but I need to be happy with what I have
Ooh this situation. I can really relate to it haha..

But I've noticed that this mindset really is giving joy. Because, when you're not able to buy it, you become creative to fix "the problem". And when you're finally able to buy a certain item, you are more than happy with it. At least, that's how it works for me

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

“Do more with less.” — Buckminster Fuller

Minimalism helps in cutting out the excess in all areas of your life, including possessions. One way to do this is by embracing the idea that one is enough. This means eliminating duplicates or unnecessary items that perform the same function and can help you focus on enjoying what you have, rather than worrying about accumulating more.

In practice, this might mean downsizing your wardrobe to only what you truly need or use, rather than having multiple versions of the same item. It might also mean simplifying your home decor to only a few carefully chosen pieces that you love, rather than filling your space with unnecessary clutter.

interesting read -

https://bootcamp.uxdesign.cc/10-rules-for-a-minimalist-life-c4dda6328bd1

I really enjoyed Bro Lett's talk and find myself thinking about it a lot since it was posted.  As we know, materialism is a quality of the heart, not the pocketbook, just like greediness is not descriptive of someone who is overweight.  What's essential is that we do our own, personal review of our hearts and minds to see if we have a proper view of material things.

What is needed vs wanted varies so incredibly greatly depending on where one lives, one's particular circumstances, we cannot say discern "materialistic" based upon someone else's possessions.  There's no need to be overly impressed with either how little or now much someone has... it's all about their attitude about it and how it affects their service to Jehovah, right? I know some friends who take a certain, almost obnoxious pride at how old and busted their car is (with no back seat to ever drive in the ministry), never stayed in a hotel - even for their honeymoon or anniversaries, clothes only from giveaways and so forth... and look down on those who don't deny themselves pleasures in life (these people are NOT pioneers or even very active in the congregation).  It's attitude, right?

We "see good for our hard work" as a reward for actually working, I think.  Looking to others to provide our necessities is not what Jehovah intends.  I once knew a pioneer sister who took the encouragement for the congregation to support the pioneers literally.  In that, she expected friends to let her live with them, contribute gas money, treat her to meals, etc., so she could live on her part-time job and pioneer.  Her father was a brother but for whatever reason, she didn't live with him.  The elders had firm talks with her... she ended up moving away from our congregation.  :hammer:

For myself - I don't think I'm materialistic.  I like nice, pretty things for myself; I'm not trying to impress anyone.  Sometimes I might overspend a bit.  I do have some debt.  :( Someone may look at my apartment or my car and think it's more than necessary.  For the most part, I make do with what I have already; I wear a lot of black! 😉  But I *do* need to make a certain amount of money to live indoors - Jehovah knows that. He obligates Himself to ensure we all have adequate food, clothing and shelter.  He also knows all of those items have monetary costs that vary wildly from place to place, from person to person. Rents are quite high in my part of the world - even for a raggedy joint - as well as fuel, groceries, everything... 😕  I try to help others as much as I can, but I have to take care of myself on one salary.  I could NEVER work part time and survive - it's simply impossible. Even with a housemate and considering we each made half of my current salary - it would be very challenging to ensure enough hours of work, have health insurance, etc... plus, we'd need a larger, more expensive place to live.

For those that work part-time and appreciate that when they're down and out, Jehovah provides someone with a bit of cash or whatever may be needed at the time (and that's happened for me, too) -  it's good to remember that the friends WITH money/ full-time jobs are the ones who make that possible.  Our building projects, support for missionaries/COs, other massive ventures, are funded by JWs with money... from decent jobs (and wise investments by the brothers at Bethel, of course).  There's no way ALL of us could quit our jobs and go into special full-time service... somebody has to pay the bills.

Therefore -- those who do work, have good salaries, have cars that can pick others up for meetings and service, can slip a couple hundred to those in need, can cover airfare for visiting speakers, support the Worldwide Work so that our friends in very poor areas can enjoy an International Convention, even if they might never be able to go... they're not *all* materialistic.  Just hoping to make friends via "unrighteous riches" and that Jehovah will bless all of our efforts. ❤️ 

Anyway -- that's what I think :) 

It boils down to this: we need to be prepared to walk away from our homes and possessions. This can happen at any time, with disasters or when the GT breaks out.

We will suffer less if we don’t have an attachment to our material things. In reality, they are just “things”, and “things” can be replaced.

One experience that was related to me recently reminded me of the need for contentment. It’s here, Brother Vitaliy Komarov's experience in prison.

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/russia/UPDATE-PRISON-SENTENCES-Reliance-on-Jehovah-Helps-Brothers-Endure/

What lessons have you learned during these trials?

Just before my detainment, I had rewatched the video Young People Ask—What Will I Do With My Life? I especially enjoyed the part where the older brother shared the lesson he had learned while in the concentration camp. He did not need a lot of things. With just his bowl and spoon, he could eat and survive. I learned how true that lesson was on the second day of my detainment. I had been in court all day and didn’t get back to my cell until 9:00 p.m., long after dinnertime. My cellmate gave me his mug so that I could at least ask the guards for some hot water to make some tea. I immediately recalled the video. At that moment, a cup of tea was more important than a car or a cell phone, things I had previously thought I could not do without.

So with a bowl and a spoon, we too can eat and survive.

(the video at roughly 29:00).

10 hours ago, Hope said:

I really enjoyed Bro Lett's talk and find myself thinking about it a lot since it was posted.  As we know, materialism is a quality of the heart, not the pocketbook, just like greediness is not descriptive of someone who is overweight.  What's essential is that we do our own, personal review of our hearts and minds to see if we have a proper view of material things.

What is needed vs wanted varies so incredibly greatly depending on where one lives, one's particular circumstances, we cannot say discern "materialistic" based upon someone else's possessions.  There's no need to be overly impressed with either how little or now much someone has... it's all about their attitude about it and how it affects their service to Jehovah, right? I know some friends who take a certain, almost obnoxious pride at how old and busted their car is (with no back seat to ever drive in the ministry), never stayed in a hotel - even for their honeymoon or anniversaries, clothes only from giveaways and so forth... and look down on those who don't deny themselves pleasures in life (these people are NOT pioneers or even very active in the congregation).  It's attitude, right?

We "see good for our hard work" as a reward for actually working, I think.  Looking to others to provide our necessities is not what Jehovah intends.  I once knew a pioneer sister who took the encouragement for the congregation to support the pioneers literally.  In that, she expected friends to let her live with them, contribute gas money, treat her to meals, etc., so she could live on her part-time job and pioneer.  Her father was a brother but for whatever reason, she didn't live with him.  The elders had firm talks with her... she ended up moving away from our congregation.  :hammer:

For myself - I don't think I'm materialistic.  I like nice, pretty things for myself; I'm not trying to impress anyone.  Sometimes I might overspend a bit.  I do have some debt.  :( Someone may look at my apartment or my car and think it's more than necessary.  For the most part, I make do with what I have already; I wear a lot of black! 😉  But I *do* need to make a certain amount of money to live indoors - Jehovah knows that. He obligates Himself to ensure we all have adequate food, clothing and shelter.  He also knows all of those items have monetary costs that vary wildly from place to place, from person to person. Rents are quite high in my part of the world - even for a raggedy joint - as well as fuel, groceries, everything... 😕  I try to help others as much as I can, but I have to take care of myself on one salary.  I could NEVER work part time and survive - it's simply impossible. Even with a housemate and considering we each made half of my current salary - it would be very challenging to ensure enough hours of work, have health insurance, etc... plus, we'd need a larger, more expensive place to live.

For those that work part-time and appreciate that when they're down and out, Jehovah provides someone with a bit of cash or whatever may be needed at the time (and that's happened for me, too) -  it's good to remember that the friends WITH money/ full-time jobs are the ones who make that possible.  Our building projects, support for missionaries/COs, other massive ventures, are funded by JWs with money... from decent jobs (and wise investments by the brothers at Bethel, of course).  There's no way ALL of us could quit our jobs and go into special full-time service... somebody has to pay the bills.

Therefore -- those who do work, have good salaries, have cars that can pick others up for meetings and service, can slip a couple hundred to those in need, can cover airfare for visiting speakers, support the Worldwide Work so that our friends in very poor areas can enjoy an International Convention, even if they might never be able to go... they're not *all* materialistic.  Just hoping to make friends via "unrighteous riches" and that Jehovah will bless all of our efforts. ❤️ 

Anyway -- that's what I think :) 

Thank you, Sister Uani @Hope. This is what I've been waiting for. 

14 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

One experience that was related to me recently reminded me of the need for contentment. It’s here, Brother Vitaliy Komarov's experience in prison.

14 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

So with a bowl and a spoon, we too can eat and survive.

Yes, Paul said we should be content with 'sustenance and covering' not 'sustenance and coveting." :uhhuh:

However, there is no virtue in asceticism for the purpose of appearing more righteous or pious.

A Watchtower gave a balanced view of material things when it said, "We should strive to be content with what we have and can reasonably acquire." This varies from one person to another and is subjective. We shouldn't be judgmental of those who have more, monetarily or materially, compared to us, if they're living a balanced dedicated life. While we all need to be on guard against greediness, we also need to guard our hearts against jealousy or envy.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

Today's Day Text (April 16, 2023) puts it all in the best perspective and so very concisely. That's what I love so much about the FDS way of putting things—helping us see real world application of Scripture 💗. This sorta puts to rest the whole question of how to view material wealth ... however much we are able to acquire it in whatever circumstances we find ourselves in materially.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/h/r1/lp-e/2023/4/16

“He who knows patience knows peace.” — Chinese Proverb

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)