JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hurricane IAN

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 563 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

3 hours ago, Doak said:

Could it be that when the Bible refers to earthquakes in one place after another, is it referring only to literal earthquakes or to natural disasters in general?

Earthquakes used as a metaphor?    A seismic event sends out literal shockwaves.  Other natural events send out 'shockwaves' in the form of property damage , loss of everything in a couple of minutes , death.

Sometimes after an election, the comments say "the status quo experienced an earthquake" (shockwave, disaster).

The FDS tells us there will be no natural disasters in the New World.  So, are they "natural" in the first place?

17 minutes ago, Doug said:

Earthquakes used as a metaphor?    A seismic event sends out literal shockwaves.  Other natural events send out 'shockwaves' in the form of property damage , loss of everything in a couple of minutes , death.

Sometimes after an election, the comments say "the status quo experienced an earthquake" (shockwave, disaster).

The FDS tells us there will be no natural disasters in the New World.  So, are they "natural" in the first place?

I understood the question as "is the prophecy merely about Earthquakes or should we had Tornados and Tsunamis and Hurricanes, etc..." ?

5 hours ago, Doak said:

Could it be that when the Bible refers to earthquakes in one place after another, is it referring only to literal earthquakes or to natural disasters in general?

I had that question for many years because I couldn't understand why there would be more earthquakes in the last days. 2Tim3:1-5 describes mankind's attitude during the Last Days and it is easy to see how that attitude can cause wars, famines, pestilence and all of the other signs, but I couldn't understand how mankind's degrading attitude would cause more physical earthquakes.

Then many years ago there was a special talk that highlighted that it isn't just an increase in the number of the earthquakes but the effect of the earthquakes will increase. Obviously due to mankind's overpopulation and building standards, earthquakes now cause more pain and distress that they did in the past. So part of the fulfillment is not just an increase in earthquakes but the damage they do. 

Interestingly in recent years the quest for more oil has developed some techniques that actually cause more earthquakes. Then in the last few years the brothers have discussed how the increase in natural disasters is due to environmental changes, which is due to mankind's mismanagement of the planet. 

So the scripture about earthquakes appears to include natural disasters in general too. Earthquakes and natural disasters have increased and so has the pain and distress they cause. They all have the same root cause such as overpopulation and mismanagement of the planet.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

6 hours ago, Doak said:

Development of GIS-based Database of Active Faults in the Middle East. The Middle Eastern region is located at the junction of major tectonic plates, namely the African, Arabian and Eurasian plates with relatively high tectonic and seismic activity.

Jesus lived in the middle east. So, the question to ponder is, had Jesus lived in what is now:

• Florida, would he have said hurricanes
  • Hawaii, would he have said volcanos
  • Siberia, would he have said blizzards
  • South Pacific Islands, would he have said tsunamis
  • You get the idea ...

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I had that question for many years because I couldn't understand why there would be more earthquakes in the last days. 

So the scripture about earthquakes appears to include natural disasters in general too.  They all have the same root cause 

When it comes to causation ,  it seems to me the Great Deluge of 2370 B.C.E. should be at the top of the list.

g75 8/1  pp. 451  "How much easier, and in harmony with facts and evidence available , to acknowledge the tremendous reshaping of the earth's surface by the torrential deluge of Noah's time.  Only water, under great pressure , carrying boulders and debris , could gouge deep valleys , loosen and carry away mountainsides."

It seems all that water sloshing around must destabilize the tectonic plates.  Add to that human activity  .    .

5 hours ago, Doug said:

When it comes to causation ,  it seems to me the Great Deluge of 2370 B.C.E. should be at the top of the list.

g75 8/1  pp. 451  "How much easier, and in harmony with facts and evidence available , to acknowledge the tremendous reshaping of the earth's surface by the torrential deluge of Noah's time.  Only water, under great pressure , carrying boulders and debris , could gouge deep valleys , loosen and carry away mountainsides."

It seems all that water sloshing around must destabilize the tectonic plates.  Add to that human activity  .    .

Yup, water is heavy, so anytime Greenland or Antarctica melts, that melt water goes right into the Oceans and adds more weight on those tectonic plates. This is a common knowledge among the scientific community. Feedback loops from Global Warming.

It is officially about to make landfall - one of the brothers I know in that area said he is getting quite a bit of wind and will have some cleaning up to do when it is past.

We will not get the real here effects until tomorrow and/or Fri

On 9/27/2022 at 1:12 PM, Doak said:

This is from the original words in greek:

great
μεγάλοι (megaloi)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3173: Large, great, in the widest sense.

earthquakes,
σεισμοί (seismoi)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 4578: A shaking (as an earthquake); a storm. From seio; a commotion, i.e. a gale, an earthquake.

in
κατὰ (kata)
Preposition
Strong's 2596: A primary particle; down, in varied relations (genitive, dative or accusative) with which it is joined).

[various] places.
τόπους (topous)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 5117: Apparently a primary word; a spot, i.e. Location; figuratively, condition, opportunity; specially, a scabbard.

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

On 9/27/2022 at 2:52 PM, Qapla said:

Jesus lived in the middle east. So, the question to ponder is, had Jesus lived in what is now:

• Florida, would he have said hurricanes

Possibly and probably - regarding hurricanes. 

In my public talk outline 170 WhoIs Qualified to Rule Mankind? I used the read scripture and the associated study note :the Greek words reflect the thought - a great hurricane of wind. 

Screenshot_20220929-074322_kindlephoto-886348056.png

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

19 hours ago, Qapla said:

It is officially about to make landfall - one of the brothers I know in that area said he is getting quite a bit of wind and will have some cleaning up to do when it is past.

It sounds like he decided to ride it out?     I thought there was a mandatory evacuation.

On 9/27/2022 at 4:33 AM, Dages said:

How are you preparing for it ?

"Save me, O God, for the waters threaten my life" - Psalm 69:1

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Doug said:

It sounds like he decided to ride it out?     I thought there was a mandatory evacuation.

The area where he lives was not in the mandatory evacuation area and it was fairly high (for that area of Florida) He lives about 70 miles north of where Ian came ashore - west of Tampa. Had the path changed to further north they may have left ... as it was, they did not need to.

I live in central Florida and our area was in the direct path of the hurricane. Wed. evening saw the strongest affects of the storm. Surprisingly we did not lose power. Our midweek meeting is on Wed. and we had a pre recorded Zoom meeting from another congregation. Unfortunately the meeting host lost power so we only got half of the meeting. There were no serious injuries or major damage here. The hurricane weakens somewhat as it goes inland. Coastal areas were the hardest hit with over 2 million without power. Latest info is that approx. 200 lives were lost. These figures can change as time goes on. In these last days we expect natural disasters to increase in frequency and intensity. Relying on Jehovah for strength helps us to face such situations. All of Jehovah's people here and around the world appreciate ur prayers for our safety. Thank you!

Just upload:

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/global/Hurricane-Ian-Leaves-Behind-Devastation/

Praying for all our beloved brothers and sisters affected by this tragedy.

❤️ We love you so much and trust all help is on the way !

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)