JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Gunman opens fire in German city of Hamburg - Brothers and Sisters Wounded

On 3/13/2023 at 2:29 PM, runner92 said:

The reality is these types of shootings can happen anywhere. You can go to the grocery store and not make it back home. It's happened at many schools. Several witnesses have been killed in these shootings here in the US. 

Yes but those disgruntled folks who are specifically targeting JWs (like the Hamburg perpetrator) will not go to the grocery stores nor schools. They know exactly where to go - the Kingdom Hall - and evening is usually criminals favorite timeline due to less visibility 

Edited by YayaMichelle

Our five minute local needs part was on preparing for persecution. The main point was strengthening our bond with Jehovah. The 4 sub points were to believe Jehovah will not abandon us, pray regularly now, read the Bible daily and attend meetings.  The point was brought out that if we have a hard time attending meetings now, how will we fare when we are risking our lives to meet with our brothers when under ban?  
I will add the point that if we re willing to risk our lives when under ban, shouldn’t we be willing to meet together now despite the fear of an isolated event such as a shooting?   

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

17 minutes ago, Skye said:

A letter was read at the meetings tonight: a funeral program will take place in Hamburg on the last weekend of March to provide comfort to all affected by last Thursday’s incident. It will be attended by a member of the GB, WHQ reps, and Branch Committee members.

No further details given on the venue, or how to join virtually.

I wish I could assist via zoom 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏💖💖💖

this is so comforting 💖

shows how deeply Jehovah cares for each one of us 

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

4 hours ago, Skye said:

Whilst the article is very respectful, I do not expect that Jehovah’s Witnesses will attend, but I will pray intensely that our absence at their memorial will not become the next topic of debate.

Sigh, how true. Ecumenical invite immediately comes to mind, which we reject. You might even find that a few apostates will go to enhance their position.

2 hours ago, Percy said:

Sigh, how true. Ecumenical invite immediately comes to mind, which we reject. You might even find that a few apostates will go to enhance their position.

Never fear, that thing is this Sunday the 19th, but the Witness memorial service the following weekend will likely put that paltry Christendom thing to shame, and bring tremendous praise & glory to Jehovah and his people!! I look forward to seeing the results the weekend of March 25th & 26th!

Edited by Sharkfin182

8 hours ago, Sharkfin182 said:

the Witness memorial service the following weekend will likely put that paltry Christendom thing to shame, and bring tremendous praise & glory to Jehovah and his people!!

Well, the initiative by those churches is noble. They are trying to be kind and comfort us in the only way they know. But you are right that it can't compare to our funeral program which will explain why these things happen and the scriptural hope of resurrection. :)

Well, the initiative by those churches is noble. They are trying to be kind and comfort us in the only way they know. But you are right that it can't compare to our funeral program which will explain why these things happen and the scriptural hope of resurrection.
Yeah that was exactly the same I thought.. Actually, it is very nice some people want to take this initiative.

I hope they will hear also some things from the memorial service of our brothers, so Jehovah can draw those rightly disposed to Him

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Sepie93 said:

Yeah that was exactly the same I thought.. Actually, it is very nice some people want to take this initiative.

I hope they will hear also some things from the memorial service of our brothers, so Jehovah can draw those rightly disposed to Him

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

5 hours ago, carlos said:

Well, the initiative by those churches is noble. They are trying to be kind and comfort us in the only way they know. But you are right that it can't compare to our funeral program which will explain why these things happen and the scriptural hope of resurrection. :)

Sorry if I sounded a little snarky. I have an aversion to these false religious leaders and their high & mighty titles:

“Bishop Kirsten Fehrs and Archbishop Dr. Stefan Hess praying for the victims, the injured, their relatives and for the helpers, rescuers, police officers and firefighters during the commemoration.”

“Praying for the victims”, which can only mean the “souls” of the dead.

I’m always skeptical of their “sincerity”, I believe they do things to been seen as admirable and get the plaudits of men. I only posted here because it’s not a public forum, I wouldn’t publicly express my true views of pious religious leaders. I’m not the Judge however, Jehovah & Jesus will make those estimations of the hearts of false religious “leaders” soon enough.  

Edited by Sharkfin182

2 hours ago, Sharkfin182 said:

I only posted here because it’s not a public forum, I wouldn’t publicly express my true views of pious religious leaders. 

This forum is publicly visible.

Screenshot_20230317_173452.thumb.jpg.eb3a275dca4bbee0dd00d2480d53e2de.jpg

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

47 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Screenshot_20230317_173452.thumb.jpg.eb3a275dca4bbee0dd00d2480d53e2de.jpg

Oh, I was not aware of that, thank you for letting me know!

( personally, I’m rightfully skeptical of the “sincerity” of PAID clergymen with fancy titles who teach falsehoods )

BUT, I can appreciate anyone’s words of sympathy and concern for the horrible tragedy committed against Jehovah’s Witnesses. 

If it had happened to any other people, we also would feel sympathy. We don’t wish such evil acts upon anyone, no matter who they are, not even those who persecute us.

Edited by Sharkfin182

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

That is one of the reasons why we encourage everyone to think before they speak. :lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 hours ago, student said:

Only to emphasize this point: He was not disfellowshipped. He left JW at his own request after a few months.

Yes, and to be specific, this German news report confirms the following: (translated from German)

https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/hamburg/Amoklauf-in-Hamburg-Alle-Schwerverletzten-ausser-Lebensgefahr,amoklaufhamburg102.html

He was a member of Jehovah's Witnesses for only a few months in total before leaving the community at his own request a year and a half ago, Tsifidaris said. For tactical reasons, a lot of information is still being withheld by the authorities. Thus, the question of the motive remains unanswered.

A condolence book is being set up by city hall.

Edited by Woanders

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

Hi, there, everyone. 

I just found this article urging the whole German society to show restraint and care in talking and writing about JW in the context of these horrible murders.

As it is written in German, it needs to be translated in English or other languages.

Have a nice day.

https://www.stiftung-denkmal.de/aktuelles/gemeinsame-stellungnahme-amoktat-in-hamburg-verlangt-sorgfalt-der-berichterstattung-und-solidaritaet-mit-den-angegriffenen-zeugen-jehovas/

9 hours ago, Marius68 said:

Hi, there, everyone. 

I just found this article urging the whole German society to show restraint and care in talking and writing about JW in the context of these horrible murders.

As it is written in German, it needs to be translated in English or other languages.

Have a nice day.

https://www.stiftung-denkmal.de/aktuelles/gemeinsame-stellungnahme-amoktat-in-hamburg-verlangt-sorgfalt-der-berichterstattung-und-solidaritaet-mit-den-angegriffenen-zeugen-jehovas/

Congratulations on your first post to JWTalk! Welcome Brother Marius!

As for the article you posted, here is the GoogleTranslate version. Very positive article! Thank you for posting it.

12 hours ago, Marius68 said:

Hi, there, everyone. 

Have a nice day.

Wellcome dear brother! We are happy to have you here :D Warm greetings 

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

https://www-ndr-de.translate.goog/nachrichten/hamburg/Nach-Amoklauf-in-Hamburg-Heute-oekumenische-Gedenkfeier,amoklauf170.html?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Jehovah's Witnesses value solidarity

The spokesman for the faith community has since said that he appreciates the solidarity and sympathy expressed through this commemoration. "However, there will be no official participation by Jehovah's Witnesses. We want to choose our own form," said the regional representative.
….

"The community appreciates this form of sympathy, but will soon be holding its own funeral service in order to do justice to the wishes of the relatives and, above all, to commemorate the victims……The municipality is very grateful to the city of Hamburg, which is supporting them with the preparatory work, says Tsifidaris. More details would come in the coming days: "We will also find ways [for the broader public to participate.]

Edited by Skye