JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Does your area use Daylight Savings Time

Here is the United States the use of Daylight Savings Time is still used by most states except, Arizona, Hawaii and US territories American Samoa and Guam. In the spring we set our clocks and hour ahead (spring forward) and in the Fall, set them back to standard time. Some like this, some don't.

I see the benefits of both. When I lived in Michigan our conventions were in Indiana. At that time Indiana did not use DST. So we would leave our home lets say at 7:30am EDT we would arrive at South Bend an hour later at the same time we left! Of course going home it was an hour later. 

Does your area have Daylight Savings Time? Our DTS falls back on November 5th. Most have devices and computers that automatically set the correct time. We have a couple wall clocks and appliances we set manually. 

OIP DTS.jpeg

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

27 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

Most have devices and computers that automatically set the correct time.

I remember back in the day when all of the clocks had to be set manually, it was always funny when some would arrive at the meeting the next morning either an hour early or an hour late..:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Being next door to the US, we in Canada have it too. There are, like always, two sides to the issue, some touting the benefits of the time change, others saying the opposite. I think the last thing I heard was that they were going to get rid of DST (or maybe get rid of Standard Time), but that was a couple of years ago and I don't know where we stand now.

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/2023-daylight-saving-time-when-clocks-spring-forward-1.6307046?cache=?clipid=89530

52 minutes ago, dove said:

I don't like the dark so I appreciate the extra daylight. I wish they would make it permanent.

But it's supposed to be dark at night.  For it not to be light until nearly 7.30 - 8a in the morning makes it dangerous for children going to school.  Leaving the clocks at standard time allows for the most possible light earliest in the day so that those of us who need to go out at that time don't feel like it's the middle of the night. :D

1 hour ago, Sheep said:

Being next door to the US, we in Canada have it too. There are, like always, two sides to the issue, some touting the benefits of the time change, others saying the opposite. I think the last thing I heard was that they were going to get rid of DST (or maybe get rid of Standard Time), but that was a couple of years ago and I don't know where we stand now.

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/2023-daylight-saving-time-when-clocks-spring-forward-1.6307046?cache=?clipid=89530

What I've always thought is strange is that in Canada everything is metric, nanometer, millimeter, centimeter, meter, gigameter, etc, all lengths divided by 10 so why isn't the length of day 10 hours. 😂

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

23 minutes ago, Hope said:

But it's supposed to be dark at night.  For it not to be light until nearly 7.30 - 8a in the morning makes it dangerous for children going to school.  Leaving the clocks at standard time allows for the most possible light earliest in the day so that those of us who need to go out at that time don't feel like it's the middle of the night. :D

I know, Uani. There are pro's and con's for both ways. We all have different situations where one way would be better than the other. Maybe having it so it's only half of the year is the best for all. 🤷‍♀️ Probably in the NW it will be the way it was in the beginning so the problems that we think about now will  be gone. Everyone will be satisfied, and I won't be afraid of the dark anymore..😊

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

49 minutes ago, rocket said:

What I've always thought is strange is that in Canada everything is metric, nanometer, millimeter, centimeter, meter, gigameter, etc, all lengths divided by 10 so why isn't the length of day 10 hours. 😂

Or if the metric system is best why were there 12 apostles instead of 10..😁

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

54 minutes ago, dove said:

Or if the metric system is best why were there 12 apostles instead of 10..😁

Perhaps, because there were 12 eggs in a dozen. Think about it - if there were 10 apostles and they all had breakfast with Jesus ... would they have argued over who would get the extra egg?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Thanks for the enlightening discussion on the 13 sharing 10 or 12 eggs. I say bring in the 'Bakers Dozen'.

However, back on topic...

Here DownUnder we also have Daylight Saving Time in 6 of the 11 states/territories/islands. 

As it has been decades since it was introduced, most of us are used to it.  We just need a reminder (or two) when we have zoom or business calls across borders. 

Twin cities residents who live/work on state borders suffer most. This is most evident when you live on one side, and go to work over the border at a (changeable) different time zone.

I have never experienced this, but I have missed appointments/phone calls due to forgetting the time change.

The city of Broken Hill - despite being in one state (NSW) - will link to the nearest capital in another state (Adelaide in South Australia).

I just hate the fact that my curtains fade more with the extra daylight. 😆 

https://australia.gov.au/time-zones-and-daylight-saving#:~:text=In Australia%2C Daylight saving is,the Cocos (Keeling) Islands.

Daylight savings time makes me angry. 

I know we are not supposed to be the angry type. 

But changing a clock twice a year does that to me. 

Pick one and leave it ! 

Obviously Satan wants it. Because almost nobody likes it and no law can change it.

I hereby deem time change - from Satan. 😅

7 hours ago, Hope said:

7 hours ago, dove said:

I know, Uani. There are pro's and con's for both ways. We all have different situations where one way would be better than the other. Maybe having it so it's only half of the year is the best for all. 🤷‍♀️ Probably in the NW it will be the way it was in the beginning so the problems that we think about now will  be gone. Everyone will be satisfied, and I won't be afraid of the dark anymore..😊

Yeah. Maybe in the New World we won't need Standard/Daylight Time, like in Bible times. The day began when the sun came up, and ended when the sun set. No, it wasn't the same time of day at different times of the year. But at least they didn't have to worry about whether or not it was going to be bright enough when the day began. I'm sure things would be a lot less stressful if we had no watches on our wrists (or on our phones); we just wouldn't worry about how much time we had to get things done.

Here in Western Australia, they’ve had a couple, or maybe 3, referendums to introduce daylight savings, and each time it’s failed. So now, we are 3 hours behind most of the Eastern states, which is ridiculous. We already suffer from higher temperatures, generally speaking, so that extra hour of coolness in the morning for witnessing was heaven when we had a year of daylight savings trial before the last failed referendum.

Typical of worldly people over here, who want to do everything opposite to what the East is doing. Plus, the curtains will fade, and the cows will get confused.  Silly humans, can’t even unite on one small thing …..

14 hours ago, Hope said:

I wish we would just stay on Standard time.  Daylight Savings is just silly.

Yes. I agree.

14 hours ago, dove said:

I don't like the dark so I appreciate the extra daylight. I wish they would make it permanent.

I could always just get up an hour earlier or later depending on the season.

13 hours ago, Hope said:

I heard the story that, during the war, there were a lot of men past the draft age who worked farms and had factory jobs.  By setting the hour ahead, they could start work an hour earlier and get off an hour earlier.  That gave them an extra hour to work on the farm after they got off their factory jobs in the afternoon.  Who does that now?

The crazy part is that some places have talked about staying on permanent DST.  I really think that is a bad idea.  If you live on the eastern side of a time zone staying on daylight-saving time means that children who have to take the bus have to catch the bus when it is very dark.  I would hate to have a six-year-old daughter standing by the side of the road waiting for the bus in the dark.  Since I might already be at work I could not accompany her to the bus stop.  I also could not drive her to school before the school opened since I had to be at work so early.

A lot of people figure it is fine for them, but do not consider how someone else may be inconvenienced.  I am retired now and my children are all grown, but I feel for parents who have to send small children out to catch the bus in the dark.

3 hours ago, Dages said:

Yeah, it's so inconvenient...

I heard about a person who was a clock collector.  He owned over 500 clocks.  All of them would have to be set manually.  If he spent one minute at each clock setting it, it would require 8 hours and 20 minutes to set all of his clocks.  Of course, he could just leave them all the same and just tell time by certain clocks.

18 hours ago, DancesWithWife said:

Most have devices and computers that automatically set the correct time. We have a couple wall clocks and appliances we set manually. 

Both my vehicles have to be set manually.  My oven and microwave have to be set manually.  If I still used an alarm clock, it always had to be set manually.  My wristwatch has to be set manually.  (Yes, I still wear a wristwatch.  I have a nice one that I have had for several years and I refuse to give it up, even though I can always look at my cell phone if I want to.)  My computers and tablets are set to the correct time automatically.

I really do hate DST though.

14 hours ago, rocket said:

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

@rocket because we remember the French experiment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_time

I was going to say something about the use of the number 12 in so many of our systems.  12 inches in a foot, 36 (3X12) inches in a yard.  2 12-hour segments in a day.  360 (10X12) degrees in a circle.  But it looks as if Brandon has covered it already.

12 in a dozen.  12 months in a year, although that would come about if you compare a solar calendar to a lunar calendar.  It takes about 12 lunar months for the Earth to make one orbit around the sun.  I was commenting on another post and I am actually off-topic here, so I will stop talking about 12 now.

Edited by Witness1970

9 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Thanks for the enlightening discussion on the 13 sharing 10 or 12 eggs. I say bring in the 'Bakers Dozen'.

However, back on topic...

Here DownUnder we also have Daylight Saving Time in 6 of the 11 states/territories/islands. 

As it has been decades since it was introduced, most of us are used to it.  We just need a reminder (or two) when we have zoom or business calls across borders. 

Twin cities residents who live/work on state borders suffer most. This is most evident when you live on one side, and go to work over the border at a (changeable) different time zone.

I have never experienced this, but I have missed appointments/phone calls due to forgetting the time change.

The city of Broken Hill - despite being in one state (NSW) - will link to the nearest capital in another state (Adelaide in South Australia).

I just hate the fact that my curtains fade more with the extra daylight. 😆 

https://australia.gov.au/time-zones-and-daylight-saving#:~:text=In Australia%2C Daylight saving is,the Cocos (Keeling) Islands.

Hey I didn't know there was that time difference.

I knew about Queensland and NSW. I had friends we stayed in Coollongatta. They had 2 clocks one for each state. confusing at first

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody."