JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

War in the Middle East

I know war has been going on for a long time in the Middle East but it seems to have stepped up a few notches over the last week or so. Now the Israeli prime minister has actually said the words - "We are at war" . 

Although not member of NATO, Israel is a strong ally of the two-horned beast. 

Dozens of gunmen from the Islamist militant group Hamas appear to have infiltrated southern Israel. 

Hundreds of people are being treated in Israeli hospitals, with at least one Israeli woman killed by intense rocket fire from the Gaza Strip. 

The Israeli military says it has begun striking targets in the Gaza strip in response "to the barrages of rockets"

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-middle-east-67037895

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Oh my, this is so horrific. Innocent people being the main target. They don't care as long as they can inflict as much carnage as possible. So very cruel. 

https://news.yahoo.com/palestinian-militants-launch-dozens-rockets-035044600.html

Backed by a barrage of rockets, Hamas militants stormed from the blockaded Gaza Strip into nearby Israeli towns, killing dozens and abducting others in an unpr...

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Ever since I was a kid it seems there has always been an issue in Israel. I remember constant fighting in something called the Gaza Strip & I have never understood the issues.

What exactly is the problems going on there? Is it because Palestine think they are entitled to parts of Israel? This latest attack is by Hamas - am i correct that Hamas is an ideology & not an actual country and/or connected to Palestine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Cheeks said:

Ever since I was a kid it seems there has always been an issue in Israel. I remember constant fighting in something called the Gaza Strip & I have never understood the issues.

What exactly is the problems going on there? Is it because Palestine think they are entitled to parts of Israel? This latest attack is by Hamas - am i correct that Hamas is an ideology & not an actual country and/or connected to Palestine?

The United Nations created the State of Israel after WW2, in 1948, as the Jewish national home. Approximately half of the territory of Palestine was given to Israel and the other half to Muslim Palestinians.
Muslim countries rejected this decision, and immediately, Egypt, Jordan, Syria and Iraq invaded the territory, starting a war. Israel won the war, and the Palestinian territory was reduced to half its original extension and divided in two territories: the Strip of Gaza and the West Bank.

A Palestinian nationalistic group called Al-Fatah, began to launch different types of terrorist attacks in different parts of the world.

In 1967 there was another war between Israel and an Arab coalition. Israel won and took Gaza and Sinai from  Egypt (Sinai would be given back a few years later), the West Bank from Jordan (including Eastern Jerusalem) and the Golan Heights from Syria. I think the UN considers these as occupied territories, but Israel claims that they are vital for their own security.

Then, in the 1990s a peace treatment was signed with Al-Fatah. They renounced to the use of terrorism and acknowledged the existence of the State of Israel; in exchange, they could create an independent Palestinian Authority in the West Bank and Gaza, with a sort of democratic regime.

In 2005, Israel withdrew all of its settlers and soldiers and dismantled its military facilities in the Gaza Strip, but continues to control its access. In 2006, the Islamic Resistance Movement, HAMAS (considered a terrorist group by some countries), won the election and took control of the Strip of Gaza, while the Palestinian Authority controls the West Bank.

Israel is supported by the King of the South. The Palestinians are not openly supported by any countries nowadays, but they are somehow connected to the King of the North.

This is very complicated and I might be wrong in some details, but in broad terms, this is the background of the conflict.

Edited by Semer

@SemeurThe context is very well described. This conflict is very political, it is also very religious and very old, even before the creation of the State of Israel. The Zionist movement was born around 1880. It is, in a way, the struggle between ' Ishmael and Isaac '... except that this time, this Isaac is no longer the beloved of Jehovah .  As the almighty  God is not involved, the conflict will turn out to be terrible. A new war with its resentments is born, and that war will perhaps push the UN into action. The United States seems  to get involved, which would give Iran an allergy, but not only Iran. All that I know is : I beg for our brothers and sisters and I have confidence, Jehovah will be Jehovah for them. He will take care. I just hope there are no collateral victims among them.

17 hours ago, Dolce vita said:

The United States seems  to get involved, which would give Iran an allergy

Accurate! 😂 I agree Iran has an allergy to the US. 😜

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

20 hours ago, Semer said:

The United Nations created the State of Israel after WW2, in 1948, as the Jewish national home. Approximately half of the territory of Palestine was given to Israel and the other half to Muslim Palestinians.
Muslim countries rejected this decision, and immediately, Egypt, Jordan, Syria and Iraq invaded the territory, starting a war. Israel won the war, and the Palestinian territory was reduced to half its original extension and divided in two territories: the Strip of Gaza and the West Bank.

A Palestinian nationalistic group called Al-Fatah, began to launch different types of terrorist attacks in different parts of the world.

In 1967 there was another war between Israel and an Arab coalition. Israel won and took Gaza and Sinai from  Egypt (Sinai would be given back a few years later), the West Bank from Jordan (including Eastern Jerusalem) and the Golan Heights from Syria. I think the UN considers these as occupied territories, but Israel claims that they are vital for their own security.

Then, in the 1990s a peace treatment was signed with Al-Fatah. They renounced to the use of terrorism and acknowledged the existence of the State of Israel; in exchange, they could create an independent Palestinian Authority in the West Bank and Gaza, with a sort of democratic regime.

In 2005, Israel withdrew all of its settlers and soldiers and dismantled its military facilities in the Gaza Strip, but continues to control its access. In 2006, the Islamic Resistance Movement, HAMAS (considered a terrorist group by some countries), won the election and took control of the Strip of Gaza, while the Palestinian Authority controls the West Bank.

Israel is supported by the King of the South. The Palestinians are not openly supported by any countries nowadays, but they are somehow connected to the King of the North.

This is very complicated and I might be wrong in some details, but in broad terms, this is the background of the conflict.

to add to this context:

- After the Holocaust, many Jews were displaced and looking for a way to heal their people. This started the Zionism movements (there are several which come in different flavors). Basically, this was the idea of Jews returning to Palestine to reform the nation of Israel. 
-The U.N.’s proposition was never (as far as I can read) accepted by the Palestinian Arab leadership and they publicly vowed that they would not allow the UN to take their land away from them and just hand it over to the Jews (Arabs outnumbered Jews there by a large margin). Read more here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Partition_Plan_for_Palestine 

- Once Israel had control and legal authority granted by the UN they fought against the Arab population and surrounding nations winning. Then, according to the supporters of Palestinian Nationalism, Israel has continued to oppress and marginalize the Palestinian natives into a state of apartheid. 
- At this time, one of the first acts of aggression was an Israeli man committed a mass shooting at a Palestinian mosque killing dozens. Apparently, this man is memorialized today by many Israelis. This lead to some of the first violent riots. 

As @Semer said, it then proceeded to go back and forth for the next several decades till today. I’m not fully sure of many of the details, and finding unbiased information is exceptionally difficult as this is so politicized. This is a conflict that can be highly emotionally charged. Every fact I and Semer stated is probably contested by someone, and cited with counter facts. 

I believe this conflict is going to escalate very quickly if US gets involved, then China will invade Taiwan. Perhaps that will happen, then the UN will step in and declare a world peace treaty. May be the peace and security we are looking for?

What is part of this peace deal, however, religion will have to be eradicated. As you can see in this current conflict, It is religious based, and the only way to end it once, and for all, is to get rid of religion! The Muslim world will not accept that, and I believe they have many sleeper cells in the US and the EU and around the world, and will then be activated, and hence The Great Tribulation begins.

just my opinion, is how I see things working out.

Edited by zoebarry

3 minutes ago, zoebarry said:

I believe this conflict is going to escalate very quickly if US gets involved, then China wok buffet, Taiwan. Perhaps that will happen, then the UN will step in and declare a peace treaty. May be the peace and security we are looking for?

If someone starts a buffet war, that will definitely be messy! 😂

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

I cannot believe the depravity and outright inhumane treatment they are showing this Hamas group inflicted. Absolutely disgusting! These people are past any moral sense & have to be totally overtaken by the demons to do this stuff. They are another Al Quida.

Jehovah must want to vomit when he sees what man does to each other. I need to stay away from watching the news on this stuff.

War is ugly no matter who is attacking who. 

Jehovah is the only one who is righteous in any decision of war. 

Actually news accounts said this morning that it's worse than AL Qaeda. Even though they showed beheadings they didn't stoop to kidnapping and torturing random visiting women and little babies and old women in wheel chairs. So the consensus is this is much worse.

But I guess I shouldn't be so shocked. Studying history has showed these very things happening before. Think 0f the Assryians who stretched people out and skinned them alive. Or of Joseph Mengele who committed atrocities for Hitler. So yes, Satan continues to prove true to form. It's just so heart wrenching. 

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

At the time of the news, it crossed my mind that the Hamas attack came the same day as the AM. And I wondered to myself as to whether we would we look back on this date as the start of the end.
Again, only my random thoughts... I have many 😄

Edited by SteveAus

Just a thought brothers … war is disgusting no matter which side or sides are involved .. 

beheading .. rape .. a bomb falling from the sky blowing people to little pieces..

Satanic inspired  from the original manslayer 

There are no winners just losers. .. keep the faith and remain neutral 

Edited by Lance

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Here is some background on the conflict when it comes to religion. 

https://theconversation.com/why-al-aqsa-remains-a-sensitive-site-in-palestine-israel-conflict-215294

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I just heard an Israeli professor say Abraham’s first wife was Hagar, the unwanted one 🧐

He is talking about the war so it’s still sort of on topic lol

6 minutes ago, BLEmom said:

I just heard an Israeli professor say Abraham’s first wife was Hagar, the unwanted one 🧐

He is talking about the war so it’s still sort of on topic lol

I think its interesting when people percieve a war as being a Holy War because it makes religion responsible for a terrible situation and causes more people to hate religion.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D