JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Post a picture... Any picture

Airglow?  :wacko:  :blink: 

post-5984-0-80958900-1450983871_thumb.jp

Amazing airglow over Atacama Desert

The sun’s ultraviolet radiation excites atoms some 50 miles (80 km) or more high in Earth’s atmosphere. When the atoms release the energy, the atmosphere glows.

Yuri Beletsky wrote on December 19, 2015, a few nights after the peak of this year’s Geminid meteor shower:
We just witnessed an amazing airglow here in Atacama desert … It was so intense that one couldn’t really see many stars close to the horizon. The sky was literally shining. Unfortunately, one can’t see the colors of airglow with the eye. It’s still much less intense then an aurora. But a sensitive digital camera is able to capture the phenomenon in its glory.

Airglow 101: http://www.albany.edu/faculty/rgk/atm101/airglow.htm

Ergo, airglow.  ^_^ 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

My husband is in to metal detecting and yesterday at a field near where we live he dug up an Henry VII groat, minted in the 1490s.

But shhhh I don't tell him I posted this, I mock him for being a bit of a geek, so I can't have him thinking I'm impressed :lol::D

post-6600-0-46002100-1450989969_thumb.jp

Edited by Peanuts

My husband is in to metal detecting and yesterday at a field near where we live he dug up an Henry VII groat, minted in the 1490s.

But shhhh I don't tell him I posted this, I mock him for being a bit of a geek, so I can't have him thinking I'm impressed :D

But shhhh I don't tell him I posted this, I mock him for being a bit of a geek, so I can't have him thinking I'm impressed :lol::D

I'm impressed! That's nice.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

When we had babies in the house, we gave them "baths" - we didn't let them have a "shower" till they were old enough to wash themselves

Groaner is what this is, groaner!!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

ec5aa8ca418acb2c20bf63fd2eb06c43.jpg

I took this today while escaping the Christmas madness. I wouldn't pitch your tent under this tree - can you spot the widow-maker?

a010863fd95c5496cb35349667ceb874.jpg

A zoom lens is always handy when bushwalking.

3b86a56add059a3ff1c9def275a941aa.jpg

3e2169d9602b438f24f5adfc41556c00.jpg

227821759792e6b6e99b571c7b12c5f7.jpg

Some other sights along the way.

These are all taken around the Esk area, Queensland Australia.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Esk+QLD+4312/@-27.2305957,152.4215308,12z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6b94207600faffa1:0x400eef17f20c030?hl=en

Edit: Actually between Esk and Somerset.

Edited by niall

No, what is a "widowmaker" and where is it?

At 3 o'clock at the top of the tree you'll see a fairly large branch that has broken off and is caught by other branches. A good breeze and this would come crashing to the ground. If it didn't kill you, it would hurt a bit.

At 3 o'clock at the top of the tree you'll see a fairly large branch that has broken off and is caught by other branches. A good breeze and this would come crashing to the ground. If it didn't kill you, it would hurt a bit.

Haha I thought it was going to the name of one of the deadly spiders you get down under!

Great photos, I love the colours of the sky in the first one. Do you use a dSLR?