JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Science fiction

Phase II ( formerly  Star Trek New Voyages ), Star Trek Continues - next one May29th?, Helena, etc. Of Gods & Men group ( Tim Russ, and many Trekky actors ) is trying to get CBS to buy or pick up their new release "Renegades" and maybe turn it into a new series, in which they actually get paid. :uhhuh:

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

• 3 weeks later...

i have seen a lot of the fan site for star trek and some of them are really good 

Gattica was dark.  yes it was i stop watching it  Enemy Mine with Dennis Quaid didnt

see it Matrix saw the first one, stargate was good need to finish it 

I don't want to come across as the "grammar police" but, I found this post very difficult to understand due to the lack of commas - let's see if I got it right:

i have seen a lot of the fan site for star trek and some of them are really good 

Gattica was dark.  yes it was i stop watching it

Enemy Mine with Dennis Quaid didnt  see it 

Matrix saw the first one

Stargate was good need to finish it

If we are not going to use commas, perhaps putting different thoughts on their own line would make the message a bit clearer.

If you want to flame me, go ahead .... but please, let's try to let this thread return to Science Fiction and not get mired in grammar - I know, I am the one who brought it up ......

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Please don't stop commenting .... we all like your comments.

That is why I suggested using a different line for each thought - that way you don't have to worry about the commas.

Gattica was dark.  yes it was i stop watching it  Enemy Mine with Dennis Quaid didnt

see it Matrix saw the first one, stargate was good need to finish it

I have seen every Star Trek show ever made. I was around in the 60's to see the original. I watched Star Trek The Next Generation. Although the first episodes could have been named Wesley Crusher saves the Enterprise again. The show got much better when Wesley Crusher was not on the show. I also watched every episode of Voyager and Deep Space 9.

I did not watch Gattace but I enjoyed Enemy Mine.

I saw Stargate and watched a lot of the series also.

I watched all 3 Matrix movies.

I liked the movie, Abyss also.

I enjoyed Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactice. As anyone can tell I do enjoy real Science Fiction.

I also enjoy your posts and would be very disappointed if you actually stopped posting.

One of my favorite sci-fi movies is "Twelve Monkeys". During most of the movie you never know whether he's crazy or he's actually traveling from the future. In fact, the character himself is not sure about it. A great thought-provoking movie.

A great movie for me too ;)

There is now a tvshow following this movie and has the same name. Seems also very good

The last sci fiction I saw was a movie "Edward Scissorhands." Actually I don't even know if it falls under the category of sci fic. But basically it was about a scientist who "made" a young man, and a young woman came upon him in a castle during her cosmetics sales. Eventually she took him in and tried to make him human. His maker died while trying to make him a heart and the project was never completed as Edward had no arms or hands, but rather long scissors in its place.

I saw it twice and it was wiry funny as the women in the neighborhood actually warmed up to him if for only what they could get out of him as in getting their hair cut for instance. Except one woman actually made sexual advances towards him where poor Edward had no idea what she was doing.

Anyway, the young woman who found him fell in love with him, or at least I think that's what the producers wanted to imply. But Edward and her had to part company because of a misunderstanding between the police and his um, limbs, mistaken them for weapons. So Edward retreated back to the cave, the young woman evidently grew up, married, had a granddaughter and related to her the story.

I too cried at the end and I'm actually feeling a little choked up as I'm writing this even though I'm fully aware that it's all fiction. To me it shows the depth of us wanting to be accepted, even if we're not human. Ok, so you know right, that I had to throw the not human part in there in harmony with the movie. Because even those who seem to not act like they're human, they still wants to be accepted.

Edited by Luezette

I was around in the 60's to see the original.

I watched Star Trek The Next Generation. The show got much better when Wesley Crusher was not on the show. 

I also watched every episode of Voyager and Deep Space 9.

I saw Stargate and watched a lot of the series also.

I liked the movie, Abyss also.

Same here. I also like Firefly for the short time it was on.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 months later...

Same here. I also like Firefly for the short time it was on.

I have never seen Firefly except for part of one episode. My son and daughter-in-law bought the DVD'S and I have had them for a while. Still haven't watched any of them. Hope to watch them soon.

I actually have been enjoying Arrow and The Flash recently. Looking forward to Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Edited by Witness1970

Before learning the Truth, I saw a Gene Roddenberry pilot called "The Questor Tapes".

In this sci-fi thriller, an android has been created by an alien?

He eventually learns that he was built to help unite earth's divided peoples. 

The android doesn't see national boundaries but views all of earth's inhabitants as

one big family.  He has been programmed to help mankind.

This appealed to me, as I have always felt the same way.  The first thing I said

to the sisters who were studying with me was, "Hey, this is just like in "The Questor Tapes"

movie...only it's REAL and not just science fiction." ^_^ 

I also find it interesting that Native Americans see all the peoples of

the earth as 'five fingered humans'

just belonging to different tribes. :D  

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Before learning the Truth, I saw a Gene Roddenberry pilot called "The Questor Tapes".

In this sci-fi thriller, an android has been created by an alien?

He eventually learns that he was built to help unite earth's divided peoples.

The android doesn't see national boundaries but views all of earth's inhabitants as

one big family. He has been programmed to help mankind.

This appealed to me, as I have always felt the same way. The first thing I said

to the sisters who were studying with me was, "Hey, this is just like in "The Questor Tapes"

movie...only it's REAL and not just science fiction." ^_^

I also find it interesting that Native Americans see all the peoples of

the earth as 'five fingered humans'

just belonging to different tribes. :D

I remember Questor Tapes. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. It was originally a pilot for a potential series, I think. It probably would have made a good show.

The Questor Tapes was a pilot for a television series. In fact, a 13-episode go-ahead was given for the series before the television movie was aired, with both Foxworth and Farrell having signed to reprise their roles. Joining the actors behind the scenes were producers Michael Rhodes and Earl Booth and story editor Larry Alexander. The green-lighted series was slated for Friday nights at 10 p.m. on NBC — the "death slot" where the final season of the original Star Trek had withered.

Conflict between Roddenberry and both Universal and NBC over the content of the proposed series doomed it, most notably ignoring the revelation at the end of the TV movie and eliminating the key character of Jerry Robinson. These changes were too much for Roddenberry, who abandoned the project. No episodes were produced.

The Questor Tapes was one of a series of television movies in which Roddenberry was involved, which also included Genesis II, Planet Earth, and Spectre. All were intended as pilots; none led to a series.

The movie had Majel Barret and Walter Koenig in it.

Since al fiction is just that "fiction" you could say it is a "lie" and we should not be entertained with lies ..... that would be a bit extreme ....... just as saying all SciFi is bad.

Yes, Satan is the ruler of this system and even the news programs are under his control (especially since many of the ones in charge have teir own political view and slant what they report to their view) so we should not talk to people of the world except for in the Ministry? We should not watch any TV, listen to the radio, etc?

BTW - you might also like the movie "Gatica" - even though it is scifi, it is another "moral play" like the one you watched.

This coming from Worf???

Please don't stop commenting .... we all like your comments.

That is why I suggested using a different line for each thought - that way you don't have to worry about the commas.

I doubt we will still be using commas by Stardate 4026!

I remember Questor Tapes. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. It was originally a pilot for a potential series, I think. It probably would have made a good show.

I agree!  I think it would have made a great TV show...which is probably why

it was never made into one. :(  

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I agree! I think it would have made a great TV show...which is probably why

it was never made into one. :(

I decided to start watching "The Flash" tv series broadcast in 1990. It had John Wesley Shipp cast as the Flash, and Amanda Pays was his helper, Tina McGee. I read on the Internet that the show was critically acclaimed and a fan favorite. The show was not picked up for a second season because of creative differences between the producers and certain people at the networks. It amazes me how many times some network mogul wants to ruin a good show by making changes.

The series is available on cwseed Web site or via the cwseed app.

John Wesley Shipp was cast as the father of the Flash in the new series. Amanda Pays is again playing Tina Mcgee but she now works for Mercury Labs.

Edited by Witness1970

I decided to start watching "The Flash" tv series broadcast in 1990. It had John Wesley Shipp cast as the Flash, and Amanda Pays was his helper, Tina McGee. I read on the Internet that the show was critically acclaimed and a fan favorite. The show was not picked up for a second season because of creative differences between the producers and certain people at the networks. It amazes me how many times some network mogul wants to ruin a good show by making changes.

The series is available on cwseed Web site or via the cwseed app.

John Wesley Shipp was cast as the father of the Flash in the new series. Amanda Pays is again playing Tina Mcgee but she now works for Mercury Labs.

I like flash also but it will have a second season (starts on Oct)