JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Why does ISIS keep making enemies? Final battle ?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3318 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Former CIA director Robert Gates is reported to have kept a maxim on his desk that read, "As a general rule, the way to achieve complete strategic surprise is to commit an act that makes no sense or is even self-destructive."

ISIS keeps surprising the world and its actions do indeed seem to make no sense or are self-destructive.

So what is going on here?

Last week the seventh issue of Dabiq was released, and a close reading of it helps explains ISIS' world view.

The mistake some make when viewing ISIS is to see it as a rational actor. Instead, as the magazine documents, its ideology is that of an apocalyptic cult that believes that we are living in the end times and that ISIS' actions are hastening the moment when this will happen.

The name of the Dabiq magazine itself helps us understand ISIS' worldview. The Syrian town of Dabiq is where the Prophet Mohammed is supposed to have predicted that the armies of Islam and "Rome" would meet for the final battle that will precede the end of time and the triumph of true Islam.

In the recent issue of Dabiq it states: "As the world progresses towards al-Malhamah al-Kubrā, ('the Great Battle' to be held at Dabiq) the option to stand on the sidelines as a mere observer is being lost." In other words, in its logic, you are either on the side of ISIS or you are on the side of the Crusaders and infidels.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/16/opinion/bergen-isis-enemies/index.html

More below:

ISIS Beheads 21 Christians, Promises To ‘Conquer Rome, By Allah’s Permission’

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/02/15/isis-beheads-21-christians-promises-to-conquer-rome-by-allahs-permission/

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

This has been my question from the start. Although I'm not a politically savvy person this is one issue that stands out, because it's absolutely a 180 from conventional thinking. This ISIS is a conundrum. What on earth can it's reasoning be?

This article you posted says what I've felt. It has a purpose, nothing we can understand because it's nothing we can understand. But this article helped explain it a bit. I'll be interested when more comes out. There will be more, I have no doubt.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

ISIS is one of many problems. That major problem  is happening in North Africa and the Middle East. The governments can't do anything about it because of civil wars and tribal disputes. Plus, Iraq is a vortex that USA  created in the 2nd Gulf War in which I predicted about 10 years ago. As long you have these problems going on and people just sit there and hope for the best, oh well there is the other side of the coin. In this system, history always repeat itself.

Hey Greg, I am no expert on ISIS but here are a few thoughts I have based on

the interesting info you posted.

First, the saying that CIA director Robert Gates apparently has on his desk,

"As a general rule, the way to achieve complete strategic surprise is to commit an act that

makes no sense or is even self-destructive."

This is surprising that the head of 1 of the most powerful military/strategic agencies in the world

would have this as a reminder because to me it is like almost all of the world's philosophy and ideas,

it lacks real wisdom.

I say this because "strategic surprise" is strategic, it involves well thought out methods, NOT to do

something that makes no sense or especially that is self destructive.

Here are some examples:

Bible Military Strategy

We have recently read in our Weekly Bible Reading of many battles/wars and the

how various strategies were used.

None of these were " self destructive or "made no sense".

They were well planned and while often there was a "strategic surprise", it was not

because it didn't make sense, it was because the enemies were not ready or prepared

for such a great plan/strategy.

CHESS

Some of the most brilliant minds that have played Chess have been some of the ultimate

strategists.  And when great Chess Grandmasters like Gary Kasparov for example deploys

certain strategies, none of their moves "make no sense", the other player can see

that plan/strategy unfold in front of him and he is trying to come up with a counter-attack and a better

strategy. But you never see a grandmaster make a move that is "self destructive", he doesn't just

let his Queen be taken for the surprise of it.

If ever a key piece is "sacrificed", it is to gain a big advantage or for Checkmate!

That is the complete opposite of "self destructive" or not "making any sense".

With philosophies like this, no wonder the CIA and other international agencies

have many failures.

ISIS

To me their strategies actually make sense.

This may sound strange and bad, but satan/demons, who are worse

terrorists than ISIS, have strategies/machinations that make sense.

They make intelligent strategies based on selfish, deplorable moral values.

So when ISIS attacks a city to capture it or tortures/beheads people,

there are clear, intelligent strategies behind these decisions.

Disgusting and immoral strategies, but they make sense based on their selfish and hateful goals.

What I see so far is that as people and governments become more scared of extreme Islamics and

and as more questions and ideas are discussed on how to stop/destroy them, also issues about all religions

will start arising more, this seems to be the biggest movement to me why governments and the people

worldwide will want to end all religion.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Horrific but interesting news article about ISIS on news.com.au http://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/islamic-state-targets-homes-of-security-forces-in-al-baghdadi-burns-45-people-to-death/story-fnh81ifq-1227223596390.

Egypt’s president said in a radio interview aired on Tuesday that creating a UN-backed coalition was the best course of action to rid Libya of Islamic extremists.

“We will not allow them to cut off the heads of our children,” he said. Asked whether he wanted to see a U.N.-backed coalition for Libya, he said: “I think there is no choice.”

I saw on the news this morning someone commenting on ISIS and why young people are going to join them in the fight and the perspective that the West has to try understand in order to fight to stop it. He commented that ISIS believes they are fighting the final war coming up to the apocalypse and that the prophecy says they must spread across the world and then be diminished to a force of about 5000. At that point Jesus Christ is to step in and save them. So the discussion was about how the youth believe they are going to fight the last war of Armageddon . This was on CNN SCERNOMISH (sp).

Amos 4:12, in part: ".....Get ready to meet your God, O Israel."

I found it interesting that the terrorist groups have been the focus of wars for the last several years and all of the fighting that is done with all of the world's leaders being involved, they are still increasing, they are not getting the job done at all a new threat has just been named by an extension group from Al Queda called Al Shabaab and they are calling for attacks in the US at the major malls and one is the Mall of America specifically being stated. It just seems impossible for them to pin point the end of these groups, maybe because they are unable to control these particular groups they will have to turn against all religions...

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/02/22/al-shabaab-reportedly-calls-for-attack-on-mall-america-in-new-video/

That is Just creepy! They just announced on the news in US in Florida a man was arrested for being associated with the extremist group Isil. I wonder how they react to our preaching work when contacted...they are probably not too pleased with us.

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't heard about Dabiq, Syria. But did hear that Damascus, Syria played a key role in the Muslim 'end times'.

Also involved, apparently, is Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem.

Thats a dispute the British created in the run up to WWI, which culminated in the Balfour Declaration. It should be noted that prior to British intervention Jews,Muslims & Christians all worshipped in relative peace in the region for approximately 1500 years. The religious and political sentiment of the day prompted the Mandate for Palestine by the British which was aided and abetted by wealthy Jewish lobbys in Europe and in the USA. That situation though was ultimately about geo-strategic and commercial control of the Near East by Western powers.

The result of Colonial intervention and the carving up of the Near East which in turn created new country's and new boarders by the British, is one of the key reasons why the region is so inflamed to this day. 

So what you have now is a battle against competing ideology's, and so called or rather nebulous 'values' whereby the secular fundamentalism of the West is pitted against religious fundamentalism/extremism in the Near East and across North Africa.

Ironically at its very core this isn't even a conflict that has religion as its root cause. Western foreign policy has continually over the decades created numerous entity's all of which have served a geo-political or strategic purpose. In essence Al-Nusra, Al-Shabab, Boko-Haram, FSA, ISIS, Al-Qeada, Taliban etc are all one and the same. Some are the result of blow back some are direct creations of Western intervention all of which have served to inflame and incite the present Wars raging across the region. 

In line with Bible prophecy though the attack on religion does appear extremely close as the situation daily is fomenting, as the West continues to funnel arms into the region. The attacks by the various factions and militias are getting worse and worse leading to even greater regional and global instability. 

Interesting, so its all the West's fault. You are saying - were it not for their interfering these fine, upstanding, and peace loving people who make up these ruthless organizations would just "get along in peace and harmony"?

I wonder if we go back a thousand years and look at these Arab and Muslim areas, if we really will see the "peace and harmony". Perhaps a little history lesson of the region is in order. :eek:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Interesting, so its all the West's fault. You are saying - were it not for their interfering these fine, upstanding, and peace loving people who make up these ruthless organizations would just "get along in peace and harmony"?

I wonder if we go back a thousand years and look at these Arab and Muslim areas, if we really will see the "peace and harmony". Perhaps a little history lesson of the region is in order. :eek:

No where in my post did i imply or say it was all the West's fault so i suggest you stick to what i said rather than your non-sequitur and somewhat irrelevant casual inferences on the history of the region. I thought it was quite evident from my post that i'm referring to the recent history of the region that has spawned the issues in the region post WWI. If you want to discuss the history of the region and what you deem as relevant to the modern day conflict post WWI i'm more than happy to discuss that. 

I am sorry I thought you said:

It should be noted that prior to British intervention Jews,Muslims & Christians all worshipped in relative peace in the region for approximately 1500 years. The religious and political sentiment of the day prompted the Mandate for Palestine by the British .....

new boarders by the British, is one of the key reasons why the region is so inflamed to this day.

Did you mean to say something else?

Do you really feel "the British are one of the KEY reasons" for hostilities or is it possible they were war mongering amongst themselves WELL before there was a British empire?

And just maybe this idea you state, "Jews,Muslims & Christians all worshipped in relative peace in the region for approximately 1500 years" Is not entirely accurate?

What part of your post did NOT "imply or say it was all the West's fault"?

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Thats a dispute the British created in the run up to WWI, which culminated in the Balfour Declaration. It should be noted that prior to British intervention Jews,Muslims & Christians all worshipped in relative peace in the region for approximately 1500 years. The religious and political sentiment of the day prompted the Mandate for Palestine by the British which was aided and abetted by wealthy Jewish lobbys in Europe and in the USA. That situation though was ultimately about geo-strategic and commercial control of the Near East by Western powers.

The result of Colonial intervention and the carving up of the Near East which in turn created new country's and new boarders by the British, is one of the key reasons why the region is so inflamed to this day. 

So what you have now is a battle against competing ideology's, and so called or rather nebulous 'values' whereby the secular fundamentalism of the West is pitted against religious fundamentalism/extremism in the Near East and across North Africa.

Ironically at its very core this isn't even a conflict that has religion as its root cause. Western foreign policy has continually over the decades created numerous entity's all of which have served a geo-political or strategic purpose. In essence Al-Nusra, Al-Shabab, Boko-Haram, FSA, ISIS, Al-Qeada, Taliban etc are all one and the same. Some are the result of blow back some are direct creations of Western intervention all of which have served to inflame and incite the present Wars raging across the region. 

In line with Bible prophecy though the attack on religion does appear extremely close as the situation daily is fomenting, as the West continues to funnel arms into the region. The attacks by the various factions and militias are getting worse and worse leading to even greater regional and global instability. 

To a certain extent, I agree with.  However, I would not agree that everyone lived in relative peace for 1500 years prior to WWI.  The Crusades were definitely not peaceful.  Further, Muslim/Islamic hatred of Jews started far earlier than the re-establishment of Israel at the end of WWII.

Nor would I agree that the current conflict with IS is the result of WWI rearranging borders.  Deep down IS is an ethnic war between Sunnis and Shiites. Al-Qeada and IS are opposite ends of the same Muslim spectrum.  Both are Islamic or Muslim extremist groups, however, they are from opposing ethnic groups and, thus, opposed to each other.  Boko-Haram just switched allegiances from Al-Qeada to IS.

However, the British were responsible for some of the Middle East turmoil we saw from WWI to the beginning of this century.  They drew lines and rearranged nations at whim, basically along lines on a map.  They did not take into consideration the ethnicity or culture of the people they were rearranging.  The result was that people who felt they belonged together under one nation, one flag, were divided and lumped together with other ethnic groups that they would rather see dead. 

Edited by Shawnster

What!? 8 Crusades that started almost 1,000 years ago -

http://www.history.com/topics/crusades

That is just an example of Christians and Muslims in "relative peace". :eek:

On a side note: that does sound like peace amongst some of my relatives. :eek:

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

That is just an example of Christians and Muslims in "relative peace". :eek:

On a side note: that does sound like peace amongst some of my relatives. :eek:

Dude, I said the Crusades were NOT peaceful.  

To a certain extent, I agree with.  However, I would not agree that everyone lived in relative peace for 1500 years prior to WWI.  The Crusades were definitely not peaceful.  Further, Muslim/Islamic hatred of Jews started far earlier than the re-establishment of Israel at the end of WWII.

Thanks Jerry for posting that video you found

That video should be mandatory for all Bible students who were raised Catholic  :exclamation:

Then the descriptions of the 8 Crusades was a learning experience. :o

In the video they said that the Pope at that time said

it was not a sin if you killed Non-Christians

and in a plea to get the people to fight in this war he made a bargain with them that

if they went to Jerusalem and fought in this "holy war" that all their past sins would be forgiven!

They would basically be given a passport to Heaven and they would receive fame and glory here on earth

And so this is what drew 1000s of Knights to fight in this Crusade.

A thought that came to me after seeing this video is that look how people

today hate the Islamic "Jihadists"  - called Terrorists.

Yet it was during the 2nd Crusade when innocent Muslims were being slaughtered by Christians/Catholics

that the Muslims became so filled with anger and revenge and therefore also formed a "holy war"(a Jihad)

and counter attacked the Christians!  :nope:

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Dude, I said the Crusades were NOT peaceful.

I know. I was just being sarcastic - sorry. My fingers got the best of me. :wink:

Soon .....

Notice i said"  It should be noted that prior to British intervention Jews,Muslims & Christians all worshipped in relative peace "  

I never said they lived in relative peace. I said they Worshipped in relative peace, as comparatively that is no longer the case at all in Jerusalem. There's is plenty of footage and historical artefacts that show Jews, Muslims and Christians during the late 1800s early 1900s living and worshipping 'side by side' in Jerusalem. The Crusades aren't relevant to my initial point.  

Nor would I agree that the current conflict with IS is the result of WWI rearranging borders.  Deep down IS is an ethnic war between Sunnis and Shiites. Al-Qeada and IS are opposite ends of the same Muslim spectrum.  Both are Islamic or Muslim extremist groups, however, they are from opposing ethnic groups and, thus, opposed to each other.  Boko-Haram just switched allegiances from Al-Qeada to IS.

Please can we stick to what I've actually said instead of these inferences. I never said the current Western conflict with IS was 'solely' because of the redrawing of the Near East after WWI. But i did say it is one of the reasons for the current inflammation in the region, namely Iraq. Whereby IS have and are attempting to redraw regions in Iraq & Syria as it seeks to widen the influence and establishment of its Caliphate. 

WEll, one thing is for sure. These guys are serious about business. I mean, besides the media-reported beheadings and such, on a daily basis other atrocities happen in the background where they rule. 

These folks are convinced that what they are doing is according to prophecy in their religious book. 

Either way, it's all Babylon's waters. She's sitting as a queen saying she aint going nowhere, as such organisations (ISIS, Boko Haram, Al Shabaab, etc.) continue to grow in strength. We all know where that's going... 

By and large, the interference of that lamb-like beast of Rev 13:11 in world affairs has begotten religious and political backlash by those peoples in those lands.  Think of  India - before becoming the jewel in the crown of the British empire, Muslims and Hindus were living side by side without much issue.  Enter the British, a lovely railway system and bureaucracy, and everything that led to partition in 1948.  "UNHCR estimates 14 million Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims were displaced during the partition; it was the largest mass migration in human history." - wiki

The collapse of the Ottoman empire led to a redrawing of borders in the Middle and Near East - remember that the British had interests in Egypt and the Suez Canal.

The carve up of Africa was a mad sprint pre WWI in which the more "civilized" nations would decide where the boundaries lay, with no thought to the various clans and tribes living there.

Etc, etc, etc.

And so history has come full ball.  The former conquered are retaliating on those "conquerers" with the modern "warfare" consisting of terror, their publicity being marketed through social media to spread terror and in a way that can indoctrinate home-grown terrorists.  How effective is Satan's weaponry now?

Pretty much ready to implode soon.  We just have to stand back and watch Jehovah act in a marvellous way.

Notice i said" It should be noted that prior to British intervention Jews,Muslims & Christians all worshipped in relative peace "

I never said they lived in relative peace. I said they Worshipped in relative peace, as comparatively that is no longer the case at all in Jerusalem. There's is plenty of footage and historical artefacts that show Jews, Muslims and Christians during the late 1800s early 1900s living and worshipping 'side by side' in Jerusalem. The Crusades aren't relevant to my initial point.

Please can we stick to what I've actually said instead of these inferences. I never said the current Western conflict with IS was 'solely' because of the redrawing of the Near East after WWI. But i did say it is one of the reasons for the current inflammation in the region, namely Iraq. Whereby IS have and are attempting to redraw regions in Iraq & Syria as it seeks to widen the influence and establishment of its Caliphate.

I got it. So the British (or the West) are NOT the KEY reason this is happening, but rather the hatred these individuals have for one another - that has been fostered over 1,000s of years of conflict against one another. Now that I can agree with.

It is true the West doesn't do much to help nor is there really much they can do. Only God's Kingdom can fix that mess.

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

By and large, the interference of that lamb-like beast of Rev 13:11 in world affairs has begotten religious and political backlash by those peoples in those lands. Think of India - before becoming the jewel in the crown of the British empire, Muslims and Hindus were living side by side without much issue.

I see that the British empire is an easy fall guy, but I have to wonder if we are reading the same history books. These religions RARELY have gotten along "peacefully " - whether you call it worshipping (which none of these are willing to "worship" together ever) or live together.

Will Durant, the famous historian summed it up like this:

"The Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex of order and freedom, culture and peace, can at any moment be overthrown by barbarians invading from without or multiplying within."

Let's not romanticize that all was well in the world before WW1. There were many reasons for that war and pent up hostilities.

Here is a link if you are interested in the actual history of India prior to the British empire. http://tarekfatah.com/the-muslim-conquest-of-india-from-will-durants-classic-11-volume-story-of-civilization-2/

Here is another

. The Muslim conquests, down to the 16th century, were for the Hindus a pure struggle of life and death. Entire cities were burnt down and the populations massacred, with hundreds of thousands killed in every campaign, and similar numbers deported as slaves. Every new invader made (often literally) his hills of Hindus skulls. Thus, the conquest of Afghanistan in the year 1000 was followed by the annihilation of the Hindu population; the region is still called the Hindu Kush, i.e. Hindu slaughter. The Bahmani sultans (1347-1480) in central India made it a rule to kill 100,000 captives in a single day, and many more on other occasions. The conquest of the Vijayanagar empire in 1564 left the capital plus large areas of Karnataka depopulated. And so on.

http://www.danielpipes.org/comments/32812
Edited by trottigy

Soon .....