JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Assembly/Convention lunch ideas?

• 8 years later...

I am trying something new this Regional.....I am doing Mason jar meals that will last 3-4 days in a hotel fridge or my cooler which I will keep packed with ice. I am making a shrimp and cucumber salad and a Mediterranean bean salad. I did the research because there is a certain way to layer the items.  I hope it works out. Will be making them Wednesday night since I leave Thursday morning for my regional in Ontario CA.

1 hour ago, steveswife said:

I am trying something new this Regional.....I am doing Mason jar meals that will last 3-4 days in a hotel fridge or my cooler which

Love the idea of the mason jars. Will try that next time if we have to travel for our RC. But not sure if the rules are the same everywhere, but here we were not allowed to bring any glass jars, bottles, or similar items into the stadium. So perhaps pack the salad in a plastic container the morning of. 

I am also gluten intolerant, so in the past I‘ve made my own homemade bread to take along, or brought store bought gluten free bread. Like you, I always have my lunch with some kind of salad. I also bake my own gluten-free, no sugar cake with me as something sweet for the fam. Last one I made was with poppy seeds and dark chocolate. But to keep it light and simple, normally a sandwich with veggies and snacks for the fam. If my daughter wants something different, I buy her a one time 5-minute instant cup of pasta, boil it with hot water at the hotel in the morning and put it in a tupper container, add cooked chicken, and serve with veggies or fruits.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

We like taking sliced cheese, meats and pickles with crackers/Triscuits - the each fit in a Ziplock bag and don't weigh much. Takes very little room and one small cooler can keep the food and drinks cold. Of course, since we have animals to feed at night, it has been more than 30 years since we have stayed over.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 3/2/2015 at 11:48 AM, pineapple005 said:

We have an assembly coming up this month and looking to change things up from the usual sandwich! Would love to hear what you usually prepare for yourself or your family for the lunch break?

Here at home, my mother varies a lot the food, in this last congress the lunch was what we call "tropeiro rice". Dessert was a carrot cake with chocolate frosting, all this only at lunch. During the congress I ate other small snacks, like sandwiches and cookies 😛

(Be careful! The above comment came from a suspicious source, a 20 year old. There's a risk that he is being: Idiot, reckless or stupid)

I personally like sliced apples and cheese or green grapes and cheese. Its easy to fix and easy to eat.

I stay away from salads or any food with oil on it. I don't want to take a chance of getting any salad dressing or oils on my suit.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I use to do maintenance at the Assembly Hall and i had to unplug the drinking fountain in the dining room several times. I would have to completely disassemble the water fountain and snake the drain pipe to clear it. It appears that the friends were rinsing their food containers in the drinking fountain and the salad dressing would plug up the plumbing. Please don't do that. 😁

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

At times, our assemblies and conventions are in the cooler parts of the year, so we take instant noodle cups, as we are already carrying hot water in our thermos' for our coffee and tea, so we can have something warm in our bellies. When it is warmer, generally we have Vita-Weats or Cruskits crispbreads and have sliced sured meat, cheese, tomatoes and avocado already sliced and cut and we just load onto the crispbread what we feel like. Also we have some fruit salad when it is warm, or homemade slices when it is cooler.

However, we usually have our meals at our vehicle, as eating in the venue is somewhat cramped to do. Also getting some fresh air always awakens one's senses being in a darker auditorium.

When we used to travel to another particular venue muc closer to us, we used to pick up some delicious gourmet pies from a particular 24hr bakery that we would pass by on the way down to the venue, and we had a portable warmer that left in the car to keep them warm until it was lunch time.