JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Frugal tips to help save money

SEA region

It’s (persimmon) harvest time in Korea is autumn season (late September to early December) is the only season persimmons are plentiful. If you live in Korea, you will see them being sold everywhere—from outdoor markets, grocery stores, to subway stations. For about 1,000 won (about USD 1), you can buy four to five persimmons. An affordable and healthy treat, persimmons are rich in potassium, magnesium, and vitamin A.

https://jomkeseoul.blogspot.com/2015/10/pisang-kaki-korea.html

I got mine at the night market in my housing estate. 7 pieces for  a little more than USD 2. Seedless. Is it ok to eat with the skins on?

Perssimon will be ripe soon here too - yum. Avocadoes 85c each!! (Down from $4-$5 ea!) So happy I got me four.

Tips for being frugal? Eat food that is in season .. work next to a bakery who puts free bread out at night.  Make soup.

Grow a garden. 

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Components of Manuka Honey

Hydrogen peroxide gives most honey its antibiotic quality. But some types, including manuka honey, also have other ingredients with antibacterial qualities.

The major antibacterial component in manuka honey is methylglyoxal (MG). MG is a compound found in most types of honey, but usually only in small quantities.

In manuka honey, MG comes from the conversion of another compound, dihydroxyacetone, that is found in high concentration in the nectar of manuka flowers.

The higher the concentration of MG, the stronger the antibiotic effect.

I only buy honey sold in glass containers. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/honey-tasting-101.html

Good raw honey is practically a different product from the "Grade A Amber" plastic bears that line supermarket shelves. The latter is accumulated from thousands of colonies, then boiled down until all its dynamic flavors are distilled to one word: sweet. But the raw stuff, harvested at peak season and bottled without a lick of heat? That honey is liquid gold.

My FIL used to have bees. He had nearly 2,000 hives at his peak. His bee endeavor was more a hobby than a business since he had a fulltime job

During orange blossom season his honey was mostly of that type. At other times of the year he had Gallberry and Wild Flower.

The bees are somewhat quiet with their honey production during the times of the year when flowers are scarce so you let them keep their honey. During orange blossom season it can be a challenge to keep up with the honey production.

Sadly, he lost his hives due to several afflictions that were beyond his control so, after having to burn most of his hives, he never went back to it.

To say we had "fresh, raw" honey was an understatement.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

We use Manuka Honey of high MGO 600-800 as an antibiotic and preventative measure 

It works very well especially with garlic (not taken at the same time)

Manuka honey is very effective at higher MGO’s ( above 400) as long as not sourced from supermarkets, where they sell it with low MGO, around 30, still good as a honey, but 600 is basically a medicine. Price differs greatly. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

This is the first time I'm hearing about MGO from reading this thread. All the while I was wondering why some folks are raving about Manuka honey. Didn't think it was anything special. Now I know!!! 🙂

I came across Erda Nature’s Gentle Exfoliator Manuka Honey Peel by Organi, Australia. Costs a whopping AUD 200 + , here in the mall. The beautician coaxed me to try it on my weather beaten hand. I was really tempted to buy it. But I'm better off making my own facial exfoliator/mask using high MGO manuka honey. A tiny little bit only. Sinfully decadent.

I bought some manuka honey some time ago but never opened. It's the brand name BeePower, called New Zealand Manuka Honey packed in Australia.

I can't see those letters MGO on the jar anywhere..does that make it not as good quality?

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.beepower.com.au/australian-mgo-manuka-honey/

Australian-Manuka-Honey-MGO-30-500G-510x510.jpg

Australian Manuka MGO 30+ (500g)

AUD 39.99

I don't know why that is no indication of the MGO factor on your bottle. There is a link on the website that shows NZ Manuka honey produced by the same company but the link is disabled.

https://www.manukanatural.com/blog/10-things-you-need-to-know-before-you-buy-manuka-honey/

The only certification you can trust is UMF©

UMF© is an independently tested, strictly enforced certification which directly proportional to the methylglyoxal content of the tested honey and its antimicrobial effectiveness.

Unless the numbers on the label are accompanied by the UMF© Trademark, and /or the methylglyoxal content it is simply an attempt to mislead the customer. 

5. Only honey which has been produced, packed into pots and labelled in New Zealand by a licensed member of the Unique Manuka Honey Association of New Zealand can qualify for the UMF© Trademark and Certification.

Fraudulent use of this Trademark carries prosecution by the New Zealand Commerce Commission and fines of $100,000 have been applied by the courts for past convictions. 

However the New Zealand Commerce Commission has no jurisdiction overseas where honey is sold, so in some countries anything goes! 

I think the fact that the honey was produced in NZ and bottled in Australia, that disqualifies it from receiving the UMF certification. (Just guessing)

So to answer the question raised in today’s heading, if you want authentic certified Manuka honey you should only buy honey which carries the UMF registered trademark and the licence # of the producer, and it will only be packed and labelled in New Zealand.

This then leaves a very large and very grey area of blended honey labelled as Manuka, with a range of meaningless numbers and descriptions which while possibly sold for less, they are indeed very far from being a bargain, in fact this practice has become the honey rip-off of the past 20 years.

Edited by M'Awan

14 minutes ago, M'Awan said:

https://www.beepower.com.au/australian-mgo-manuka-honey/

BeePower-Organic-Honey-1Kg-Alpha-Tall.png

Australian-Manuka-Honey-MGO-30-500G-510x510.jpg

Australian Manuka MGO 30+ (500g)

AUD 39.99

I don't know why that is no indication of the MGO factor on your bottle.

My jar looks like the bottom one, except that where it says MGO 30+ on this jar, mine is another  flower.

I took a picture of it and will post it when I figure out how to do that..:blush:

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Also your jar wouldn't have the word 'Australian' above the letters Manuka Honey. I think Australia does produce Manuka honey though I don't know if the quality is the same as the NZ kind.

https://www.manukanatural.com/blog/tag/How+to+identify+genuine+Manuka+honey

Where to buy Authentic Manuka honey

Posted by Bill Gluyas on January 24, 2018

Strictly speaking there is probably very little Manuka honey that could be described as pure, in that it has 100% Manuka nectar because honey bees will range for several miles to collect whatever nectar is available to them from plant species that are in flower.

However, in isolated parts of New Zealand the Manuka species leptospermum scoparium is so dominant that there is very little alternative available to the bees during Manuka flowering.

This ensures that honey from these areas will have very high levels of purity.

My jar says ‘New Zealand’ above the letters Manuka Honey  But packed by Australia

After reading the article I don’t think it can be the genuine manuka coz I couldn’t find the UMF  letters or a name for the manufacturer  

And I paid $17.00 for it so probably not what the real thing would cost..