JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vegan and vegetarian brothers and sisters

Hi! I would like to meet more vegan or vegetarian brothers and sisters around the world. I've been a vegetarian since 2008, although it hasn't been easy to accept and forgive the prejudices of other members of Jehovah's people. Last Tuesday, for example, a sister told me that, since Jehovah authorized the consumption of meat, we were against the divine purpose… that's why we have 2 groups on Facebook, to interchange encouragement:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/979968315365585

http://www.facebook.com/groups/997593600263055

Edited by Stormswift

External Links approved - apologies.

Clifford Daniel Kernahan Selfa

Yes indeed, a mature christian would accept the choice that individuals make and keep their conscience in check if they disagree.

Brother Clifford,

There's another aspect too, that many who may eat meat, whether minimally or more, also love Vegan dishes - I know I do - I enjoy finding alternative ways to cook.

So being inclusive of those who eat meat you can still learn much from others. The line is crossed when others are judged because of their choices.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I am a most of the time vegetarian. My stomach feels horrible when I eat meat. There are times when I can eat seafood and it not bother me too much. Most of the time however I am a vegetable  person, which is fine cause I love my vegetables. :)

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

Step-son's fiance is vegetarian and so is her mother.  Now my future daughter-in-law will eat fish, but she doesn't tell people that because, if they find out, that is the only dish they will server he when they invite her over.  Instead, she just eats the sides or works around the meat/picks the meat out.

So, being family, I'm trying to be different.

The first time we had her and our son over, I fixed a bean chili.  My wife fixed meat on the side and added it to hers and my step-son's dish.  

The next time we had the kids over and her parents.  I fixed stuffed pasta shells.  Katrina again made meat on the side for those who wanted a meat option.  I overcooked the pasta shells :(  but everyone still enjoyed them.

In the future we've promised to make stromboli.  A vegetarian option is a no brainer there.  Then, after that, we're planing on tacos.  

We just last night saw a video for smoked watermelon.  Looks like and has the consistency of meat.  

37 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Step-son's fiance is vegetarian and so is her mother.  Now my future daughter-in-law will eat fish, but she doesn't tell people that because, if they find out, that is the only dish they will server he when they invite her over.  Instead, she just eats the sides or works around the meat/picks the meat out.

So, being family, I'm trying to be different.

The first time we had her and our son over, I fixed a bean chili.  My wife fixed meat on the side and added it to hers and my step-son's dish.  

The next time we had the kids over and her parents.  I fixed stuffed pasta shells.  Katrina again made meat on the side for those who wanted a meat option.  I overcooked the pasta shells :(  but everyone still enjoyed them.

In the future we've promised to make stromboli.  A vegetarian option is a no brainer there.  Then, after that, we're planing on tacos.  

We just last night saw a video for smoked watermelon.  Looks like and has the consistency of meat.  

That is so kind of you! For cookouts I like a nice fat grilled portobello mushroom when others have a hamburger patty. Lots of times I’ve done a pan of sauteed veg, over rice and throw chicken on top of hubbys. Thet way we dont have to make totally different dishes. 

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

21 hours ago, Antares92 said:

Hi! I would like to meet more vegan or vegetarian brothers and sisters around the world. I've been a vegetarian since 2008, although it hasn't been easy to accept and forgive the prejudices of other members of Jehovah's people. Last Tuesday, for example, a sister told me that, since Jehovah authorized the consumption of meat, we were against the divine purpose… that's why we have 2 groups on Facebook, to interchange encouragement:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/979968315365585

http://www.facebook.com/groups/997593600263055

Hi brother Clifford. Welcome to the forum! I’m vegan and have been so since January 8 of this year. Before that I was vegetarian for 1 year and 3 months. I used to think that it would be so hard being a vegan but for me it’s a breeze. I had a harder time giving up diary than meat. I made my decision to become vegetarian and then later vegan for health reasons. There’s no way I would let any food compromise my health. When the thought to eat meat even crosses my mind, I think about how I had high blood pressure, aches and pains and was carrying around extra weight when I ate meat and the choice is clear. I eat mostly fruit because I don’t care for most vegetables. I get a lot of respect from brothers and sisters because they claim that they wouldn’t have the will power to do what I do.

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

I am a meat lover, but I have no problem accepting those who are not. One of my closest friends is vegetarian and that is her choice. I have no problem with watching someone eat rattle snake, although I do not eat it. What I eat is my business. What someone else eats is theirs. 

Ro14:3,17  "Let the one eating not look down on the one not eating, and let the one not eating not judge the one eating, for God has welcomed him. For the Kingdom of God does not mean eating and drinking, but means righteousness and peace and joy with holy spirit."

😊

Edited by 2EVES

Psalms 51:6 "In the secret self...may you cause me to know sheer wisdom"

In the New World we may all be vegetarians, if so, I am sure I will be helped to accept it because Jehovah knows the best way to for us to live.

*** g97 6/22 p. 11 Choosing a Healthful Diet ***
vegetarian diets are becoming increasingly popular. “Data are strong that vegetarians are at lesser risk for obesity, . . . constipation, lung cancer, and alcoholism,” says dietitian Johanna Dwyer in FDA Consumer.

The important thing is: "whether you are eating or drinking or doing anything else, do all things for God’s glory."

How can we promote unity?

*** w04 9/1 p. 9 Glorify God “With One Mouth” ***
“Welcome One Another”
5 In his letter to the Romans, Paul speaks of a situation about which opinions varied. He writes: “One man has faith to eat everything, but the man who is weak eats vegetables.” Why was that? Well, under the Mosaic Law, pork was not an acceptable food. (Romans 14:2; Leviticus 11:7) However, that Law was no longer binding after Jesus died. (Ephesians 2:15) Then, three and a half years after Jesus’ death, an angel told the apostle Peter that from God’s standpoint no food should be viewed as defiled. (Acts 11:7-12) With these factors in mind, some Jewish Christians may have felt that they could eat pork—or enjoy some other food that had been prohibited under the Law.
6 However, the very thought of eating those formerly unclean foods would likely have been repulsive to other Jewish Christians. Such sensitive ones might have felt instinctively offended at seeing their Jewish brothers in Christ eating such food. Moreover, certain Gentile Christians, whose religious background likely never included dietary prohibitions, may have been puzzled that anyone would make an issue over food. Of course, it was not wrong for someone to abstain from certain foods, as long as he did not insist that such abstinence was necessary to gain salvation. Still, the different viewpoints could easily have fueled controversy in the congregation. The Christians in Rome would need to be careful that such differences did not prevent them from glorifying God “with one mouth.”

1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

Yeah this topic is something that made some brothers and sisters argue, rather than discussing because they couldn't respect each others view. Personally I think being vegan is something that I want to be. But since I live home, it's very difficult and eating meat. I feel like organic fruit and vegetables goes very well with my body. Although meat is something that taste very good, I think it's not that good to eat. For example, if you buy meat from the store, you can see that they have added a lot of ingridients in it, that is harmful for the body. Same goes for fruits too, but it's easier to identify it by reading PLU codes. That will tell you if it's gmo or organic.

Yes take onions for example, their thick non porous skins prevent any insecticides or other sprays from penetrating into the actual flesh - so there's no difference. Same with a few veges.

Eggs:

You can tell a good egg by the thickness of the shell.

In US apparently eggs are stored with dairy products because they have been 'washed' commercially which takes away the natural covering an egg has to protect and give it longer life.

A good egg should be able to be stored on a shelf and very hard to crack.

I get mine from a local farm. But of course, that's not vegan, I take it nuts and seeds take the place of the nutrients from egg yolks? 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I like the idea of eating fresh food, unprocessed and bought from the markets.  To eat free-range eggs and chickens, and grass-fed beef would be great.  This used to be what society had, once.  But because of the big $$ that food production is now, we are stuck with what the supermarkets offer.  It takes time and a lot more money to source sustainable, fresh, organic, natural food now.  Whether we're talking vegetables or meat.

Just think, Jehovah gave the ancients permission to eat meat, but they did not indulge in it like we do in Western lands.  It's that that's making us sick.  Meat was not meant to be the staple.  In Mediterranean cooking, you can see that yes, meat is used but sparingly.  It is based on pulses, grains, and lots of vegetables and good olive oil.  In Japan, another healthy diet, they also use copious vegetables, with meats sliced thinly and as a small part of the meal. Again, grain is the staple.

So, vegetarianism or veganism may be what you personally decide, and it's a healthy choice for sure.  But also, humans had much better diets in the past, and that did include some meat on occasion.  The eating of meat is not what makes us unhealthy, or else Jehovah would not have allowed us to eat it.  But it's how our meat is produced and "manufactured" in these last days, along with the over-eating of meat every day that has caused us no end of health problems.  

Whatever is best for us, diet wise, is what we'll enjoy in the new world.  And in the meantime, we eat the best we can now to keep our bodies functioning as best as it can in this horrible system, where even our food gives us grief.

I was eating a Banana today and as I looked at it, I wondered and thinking to myself.... all the wonderful things Jehovah has made in wisdom. He made this banana just for me. He made so many fruits and vegetables before man existed.  How did he figure out that we would enjoy them before man came to be created?   Jehovah is  the master  planning department second to none.

Gen 9:3 says - Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you. Just as I gave you the green vegetation, I give them all to you.

It says may, not must.  Jehovah gave us permission to eat meat, he did not command us to eat it.

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

Bananas ??

They are such a waste of time

Think about it - once you peel it and throw away the bone, what's left to eat?  :lol1:

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I do t label myself vegan or vegetarian, because meat is good and we are allowed to eat it. However, I do not eat it every day, some weeks not at all. When I do, it’s always well sourced and organic, and not the main part of the meal. The cooks at the RTO here are great at making the efforts necessary to find high quality meat.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years I also don't eat fish.... they have eyes and a heart! 

We went out for dinner a while back, only a pub lunch...I ordered a quiche that I was told was vegetarian.  I didn't have my glasses on and took one mouthful only to find I had ham in my mouth.. I actually heaved!!  

I went and complained, they apologised but I just couldn't eat anything else.. to someone who eats meat it's hard to explain how ill it made me feel and how upsetting it was 😥

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

On 8/8/2018 at 8:21 PM, Stormswift said:

Bananas can't be all bad ... afterall they share 50% of the human DNA.

Monkeys share more 🙈🙉🙊

P.S. I'm home. We could have given Robin Williams pointers on his movie RV. 😖

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

19 hours ago, anniebea said:

I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years I also don't eat fish.... they have eyes and a heart! 

😥

Apparently, that didn't bother Jesus, but then again I don't believe he was a vegetarian.  😯

41 "But while they were still not believing for sheer joy and amazement, he said to them: “Do you have something there to eat?” 42 So they handed him a piece of broiled fish, 43 and he took it and ate it before their eyes."  --- Luke 24:41-43

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

On 8/8/2018 at 9:24 AM, Chris7 said:

In the New World we may all be vegetarians, if so, I am sure I will be helped to accept it because Jehovah knows the best way to for us to live.

*** g97 6/22 p. 11 Choosing a Healthful Diet ***
vegetarian diets are becoming increasingly popular. “Data are strong that vegetarians are at lesser risk for obesity, . . . constipation, lung cancer, and alcoholism,” says dietitian Johanna Dwyer in FDA Consumer.

The important thing is: "whether you are eating or drinking or doing anything else, do all things for God’s glory."

How can we promote unity?

*** w04 9/1 p. 9 Glorify God “With One Mouth” ***
“Welcome One Another”
5 In his letter to the Romans, Paul speaks of a situation about which opinions varied. He writes: “One man has faith to eat everything, but the man who is weak eats vegetables.” Why was that? Well, under the Mosaic Law, pork was not an acceptable food. (Romans 14:2; Leviticus 11:7) However, that Law was no longer binding after Jesus died. (Ephesians 2:15) Then, three and a half years after Jesus’ death, an angel told the apostle Peter that from God’s standpoint no food should be viewed as defiled. (Acts 11:7-12) With these factors in mind, some Jewish Christians may have felt that they could eat pork—or enjoy some other food that had been prohibited under the Law.
6 However, the very thought of eating those formerly unclean foods would likely have been repulsive to other Jewish Christians. Such sensitive ones might have felt instinctively offended at seeing their Jewish brothers in Christ eating such food. Moreover, certain Gentile Christians, whose religious background likely never included dietary prohibitions, may have been puzzled that anyone would make an issue over food. Of course, it was not wrong for someone to abstain from certain foods, as long as he did not insist that such abstinence was necessary to gain salvation. Still, the different viewpoints could easily have fueled controversy in the congregation. The Christians in Rome would need to be careful that such differences did not prevent them from glorifying God “with one mouth.”

Actually, in the new world, we will most likely be vegan. Many vegetarians still consume diary products like milk, eggs and cheese. In the new world we will have no reason to consume those things. Animals produce eggs and milk for their young, not for human consumption 🙂

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.