JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vegan and vegetarian brothers and sisters

We always need to treat our friends with respect. If I had a friend in the truth who was raised in a Jewish home and did not like to eat pork, I would not invite him to a meal of pork chops, bacon or ham. It would be unkind. Are we, as Christians allowed such food to eat, Yes of course. Do we HAVE to eat it,  No of course not. I would want him to feel the kindness and love of the occasion not the discomfort or embarrassment. 

It it is a little different when we are hosting a public speaker after a Sunday meeting.  We try to find out if they have any preferences, allergies or aversions. If possible, we arrange to accommodate the differences. On rare occasions, the demand is too great and we just take them to a restaurant and let them choose.  It lacks the intimacy of the home cooked meal and company but it is the best we can do.

One of our elders is a “pescatarian” and when invited to his home, we have to calculate the dietary restrictions his family will impose on us if we accept. Usually, we are willing to adjust (but not always).  I have worried about times they hosted. One of the elders in the next congregation has been a speaker on more than one occasion. His family has developed a serious allergy to any fish product or it’s odor (even steam rising from any boiling water (in which fish are cooked). In the wife’s case, it can be fatal.

My daughter (she is a pioneer and husband an elder) cooks a lot of fish as opposed to red meat.  She goes for a lot of vegetables also. Her daughter (my granddaughter) comes out to our house just to enjoy a roast beef dinner or a hamburger. But when her family hosts a speaker, they arrange a standard dinner for our area that includes meat as well.

Love for one another takes many forms. Not just refraining from criticism about eating styles, or countering scripture citations, but a geNuine respect for our friends wishes. They hard part is not taking up a cause and championing it to the irritation of those around us. If we went to Bethel to a meal, we would choose from the offered foods so that our physical needs were met and any conscience matters were clear.  We would not take the Bethel culinary stuff to task for serving ribs (which I did enjoy). Anyone not wanting ribs would just refrain from eating them and be thankful for dining with the Governing Body in person.

Edited by jwhess

I enjoy being vegan, but nothing irritates me more than when people ask me what I do to get protein. I try to be patient with them because there’s a lot of misinformation going around. Many people have this erroneous idea that you have to consume meat or diary products to get protein when the truth is that there is protein is fruits and vegetables. I often ask people where they think the cow they’re eating got its protein. When you eat meat, all you’re getting is recycled plant protein. The largest land animals in the world are vegan. Consider silverback gorillas. They are 6 times stronger than the average man and are vegans. So are elephants, rhinos, hippos and wildebeest and bison. They don’t need to eat meat to get protein or to grow to be the strong animals they are. I could never get why people are more concerned with get protein than they are with things like many vitamins. When’s the last time you heard about someone with a protein deficiency? I saw a video where a doctor who’s  done blood testing for over 25 years said that in all his experience, he’s never seen 1 single person with a protein deficiency. The truth is we need protein... but not as much as many people think.

nobody needs more protein than a newborn baby and human breast milk is only 6% protein. The problem with a lot of Americans is that they are getting too much protein and it often leads to kidney failure and a host of other problems.

I’m a naturally muscular guy and was into bodybuilding for many years. When I went vegan, I lost absolutely no muscle mass. Adam and Eve weren’t eating meat and diary products to get protein. The plant based food Jehovah gave them was sufficient enough 🙂

09DB4F3B-AA5D-46EF-BE25-72975F68CA46.jpeg

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

51 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

Actually, in the new world, we will most likely be vegan. Many vegetarians still consume diary products like milk, eggs and cheese. In the new world we will have no reason to consume those things. Animals produce eggs and milk for their young, not for human consumption 🙂

There are so many reasons for cheese, ice cream, butter, yogurt, chocolate shakes... omelettes... 😋  eternity isn't long enough to expound!  😁😍

Edited by Hope

Br. Jack, this is the kindness thing I was discussing. If you were just standing there and some brother comes up and says, “I heard you went vegan, how are you going to get enough protein?”... then that is surely insensitive on his part. Is he starting a “carnivores forever” club?  On the other hand, if he was just suggesting a stop at McDonalds for a service break and you lectured him on the evils of red meat, it would be same insensitivity on your part.

We all need to mind our own business and be respectful of others. I know some irritating folks who ask questions like that (about protein) who are genuinely concerned about my health. Likewise, some who see me eat a hamburger are worried that I will die from clogged arteries unless I mend my ways, I know they want to hep. So in both cases, if I have done nothing directly that led to the confrontation(in either direction) I just credit the opposite side with Christian love and concern with my welfare and let it go at that.

if I have directly caused the outburst, then I tell myself, “Stop that”!

2 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Br. Jack, this is the kindness thing I was discussing. If you were just standing there and some brother comes up and says, “I heard you went vegan, how are you going to get enough protein?”... then that is surely insensitive on his part. Is he starting a “carnivores forever” club?  On the other hand, if he was just suggesting a stop at McDonalds for a service break and you lectured him on the evils of red meat, it would be same insensitivity on your part.

We all need to mind our own business and be respectful of others. I know some irritating folks who ask questions like that (about protein) who are genuinely concerned about my health. Likewise, some who see me eat a hamburger are worried that I will die from clogged arteries unless I mend my ways, I know they want to hep. So in both cases, if I have done nothing directly that led to the confrontation(in either direction) I just credit the opposite side with Christian love and concern with my welfare and let it go at that.

if I have directly caused the outburst, then I tell myself, “Stop that”!

Oh no, I didn’t post what I said in response to something you said. I was just ranting.  And no, I don’t lecture people about protein when they ask. I simply tell them that you can get protein from fruits and vegetables. It’s just something that annoys many vegans. Kind of like how very tall people are often asked if they play basketball. After a while it gets very annoying.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 hour ago, Brother Jack said:

Oh no, I didn’t post what I said in response to something you said. I was just ranting.  And no, I don’t lecture people about protein when they ask. I simply tell them that you can get protein from fruits and vegetables. It’s just something that annoys many vegans. Kind of like how very tall people are often asked if they play basketball. After a while it gets very annoying.

I get asked that as well! I probably eat as much protein if not more because like you I'm very conscious to include it naturally in my diet... I eat lots of nuts, lentils etc...

Protein drinks,  protein bars... it's the 'in thing' to consume at the minute,  which is down to advertising and money/ greed...  the fact is that no one has ever died due to lack of protein!

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 4:25 PM, Brother Jack said:

Actually, in the new world, we will most likely be vegan. Many vegetarians still consume diary products like milk, eggs and cheese. In the new world we will have no reason to consume those things. Animals produce eggs and milk for their young, not for human consumption 🙂

If we eat only Manna would that make us Hu-Manna-terrains?

A simple point: Omnivores often feel that people's diets are being forced/imposed on them. People want to be good hosts naturally. When guests come over who can't eat half of what you eat - especially if it's not because of a doctor prescribed diet - then wanting to be a good host a provide a meal that you can share, becomes difficult - even a pain. In my hall a large percentage of people have varied and conflicting diets. So this comes up a lot where I'm at xD 

Recently, at our meeting for those interested in S.K.E., our C.O. mentioned that if you apply, do not expect your dietary preferences to be accommodated. It can add extra burden to hosts who are already extending themselves out to you. Of course people can be flexible, and sometimes there are serious dietary restrictions. But the advice was to be balanced and moderate in your diets and expectations especially if you're planning on serving in such an extended capacity as the S.K.E.
(P.S. - I think  this is like the fifth time I've brought out points from this meeting since attending. xD)

Mentioning the SKE reminded me of something I heard about many, many years ago - long before SKE or any of those recent schools - like in the early 1970's

I will warn, it is about eating meat, not vegetables, but it does drive the point home that Michael mentioned not "expecting your dietary preferences to be accomodated".

A Brother who had volunteered to go serve where there was a need ended up in a foreign country. He was excited about his assignment - and, he was looking forward to the food. The country he was going to was known for their beef - it was supposed to be very good and extremely affordable to the local people. He thought about enjoying nice hamburgers, steaks and the like.

This particular Brother came from a place in the South (US) where chickens were common and less expensive than any other meat so they ate a lot of chicken.

Well, when he went to other Halls to give talks, every time he was invited to a meal - they served him chicken

He politely ate the chicken and never complained.

One day, a Brother he had come to know asked him why he did not seem excited about the prospect of being hosted when he was assigned another talk out - he reluctantly told the Brother that, even though he really enjoyed the visits with the publishers, he was not looking forward to another chicken dinner. The Brother was a bit taken back - and asked him why, since it was considered a luxury to have a chicken dinner in that area.

He explained about eating chicken his entire life growing up and sometimes getting pork - but, how rare it was to get beef ...

The Brother understood and spread the word - the next time this young Brother went to give a talk they grilled steaks - lots of them. In fact, it became common to feed him beef when he was invited to lunch after giving a talk.

Some said they wanted to treat him like someone special and that is why they served chicken - they thought he would be disappointed if they fed him "everyday food", like beef.

When he was asked why he never spoke up about it - he said because they had all gone to so much work to make him feel welcome and special, he didn't want to insult them - so, he ate what Jehovah provided.

Now, back to the vegetables this thread is supposed to be about :thumbsup:

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

13 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Mentioning the SKE reminded me of something I heard about many, many years ago - long before SKE or any of those recent schools - like in the early 1970's

I will warn, it is about eating meat, not vegetables, but it does drive the point home that Michael mentioned not "expecting your dietary preferences to be accomodated".

A Brother who had volunteered to go serve where there was a need ended up in a foreign country. He was excited about his assignment - and, he was looking forward to the food. The country he was going to was known for their beef - it was supposed to be very good and extremely affordable to the local people. He thought about enjoying nice hamburgers, steaks and the like.

This particular Brother came from a place in the South (US) where chickens were common and less expensive than any other meat so they ate a lot of chicken.

Well, when he went to other Halls to give talks, every time he was invited to a meal - they served him chicken

He politely ate the chicken and never complained.

One day, a Brother he had come to know asked him why he did not seem excited about the prospect of being hosted when he was assigned another talk out - he reluctantly told the Brother that, even though he really enjoyed the visits with the publishers, he was not looking forward to another chicken dinner. The Brother was a bit taken back - and asked him why, since it was considered a luxury to have a chicken dinner in that area.

He explained about eating chicken his entire life growing up and sometimes getting pork - but, how rare it was to get beef ...

The Brother understood and spread the word - the next time this young Brother went to give a talk they grilled steaks - lots of them. In fact, it became common to feed him beef when he was invited to lunch after giving a talk.

Some said they wanted to treat him like someone special and that is why they served chicken - they thought he would be disappointed if they fed him "everyday food", like beef.

When he was asked why he never spoke up about it - he said because they had all gone to so much work to make him feel welcome and special, he didn't want to insult them - so, he ate what Jehovah provided.

Now, back to the vegetables this thread is supposed to be about :thumbsup:

That is the way I am about salmon. Brothers prepare it as a treat. Oom good!

I was raised on salmon,  smoke salmon, fried salmon, baked salmon, creamed salmon on rice, potatoes or toast, salmon patties, salmon sandwiches, salmon filets, salmon loaf, salmon steaks, no grilled salmon, we didn't own a grille, but a lot of canned salmon. I still like salmon just as I like hamburger, which we ate when we didn't have salmon or were out of albcore. Now a grilled hamburger, that is a treat. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be vegetarian - even vegan for 1.5 years - so can speak for both camps. 

I still don't eat much meat but a combination of moving house and inconvenience plus a stomach ulcer led me back to incorporate some lighter meat options.

When I was vegan I ended up eating way too much sugar and processed substitutes for cheese, milk and meats. I know that was my own fault of course but I often struggled to keep up with all the home cooking and making my less processed vegan substitutes. I am also not a massive fan of lentils and pulses which doesn't help. 

Then I went vegetarian to open up more unprocessed options. But I found myself bingeing on cheese.. lol. Not a good idea. At the end of last year I had a lot of stomach troubles and tried to incorporate lighter meals with fish or chicken and veg - coupled with the fact that people in the North of England sometimes struggle to think beyond the "meat/potatoes/two veg" concept I didn't want to trouble my hosts. So I started eating meat when being invited out. Especially in the Chinese field it can make life a life a lot easier as modern Chinese people don't really understand why you would not eat meat by choice and I got tired of explaining myself and why chicken powder is not a vegetarian option.. lol

When it comes to judging, I can only speak for my area. Nowadays there are so many vegetarians that few people bat an eyelid. Veganism is also becoming more popular and there is always someone at a gathering who is intolerant to dairy or gluten so there are sometimes options (although very restricted) when going to a party. 

However, when I became vegan, people started asking me questions (I never mentioned it) because when we were going out it was quite obvious. I never knew people were so interested in what other people put into their mouths.. lol. So of course I mentioned the reasons for my choices which also included ethical reasons. As soon as you mention that, the first reaction is:"oh I don't eat much meat myself" and a lot of people nodding. And the next thing you hear is that someone starts sneering about you behind your back, telling everyone what a weirdo you are and that you are pushing your views onto others. 

So in my experience when hard and fastened omnivores complain about vegans/vegetarians pushing their views onto others it's probably because you asked them or made a silly comment about their food choices in the first place. Before going vegan and after coming off I never had a veggie coming up to me sneering at me eating chicken wings. They usually only start talking about their diets when being asked or commented at (try and observe your own behaviour next time you complain about that.. you'd be surprised 🙂 ) . Also, in my experience whenever you do something that makes people feel outside their comfort zone (mainly because they know they should probably make adjustments themselves) they feel patronised already by your actions without you ever having said a word. 

So please live and let live. I always cater for vegetarians but don't expect others to do the same. I am not sure what the big fuss is to be fair - you just take the meat out. We have Google after all! 

One anecdote before I go: When I was vegan I got invited by a youngish couple in my congregation (one of them who actually made very silly comments about my choices) and I am not sure if they did it out of ignorance or to make a point but all they served me was a big bowl of salad leaves with a vinaigrette and a bowl of canned chickpeas. I didn't say anything but I was a little bit surprised. I think you can strike a balance between going completely out of your way and just being very pig headed (excuse the pun). 

By the way they just sat there and watched me eating it without eating anything themselves. It was beyond weird. 

But hey, it's the thought that counts 😅

As a vegetarian of almost 30 years, I hope I have some freeness of speech here.

I have tried to be vegan... Ah, I would miss eggs, butter, cheese. Decided a few years ago, not going to happen.

There is a blood type diet. Don't prescribe it, just interesting information. I have AB- blood... supposedly good to be vegetarian.

"We are all going to be vegetarians in the New System"... Don't know, will never be dogmatic about it. I can argue this either way. Pro meat, or pro-vegetarian.

I feel better because I am a vegetarian. That doesn't mean you would experience the same. If you want to know how I do it, please ask, I will be happy to answer.

I get the question all of the time, "What do you eat?" I recently figured out a really good answer... It isn't what I do eat, it is what I don't eat. I eat everything you do, except meat.

I have even been told that I am spiritually weak because I don't eat what Jehovah gave us to eat. Someone that would be so unkind to say that is obviously spiritually weak. By the way, I just heard our new Circuit Overseer is a vegetarian. Hmmm....

I enjoy the music of The Beatles, I seriously one time was asked if, "Would you eat meat to bring John Lennon back to life?" and even before 20 onlookers. Talk about being put on the spot and embarrassed. I don't remember how I answered. I hope I said something like, "Jehovah knows if he is worth resurrecting or not..."

Eat what is best for you. Our health is very important as we need to do the best we can so we can serve Jehovah effectively. Our health is not the focus in this system of things, Jehovah's kingdom, the sanctification of his name and the vindication of his sovereignty are.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:18 PM, Old said:

That is the way I am about salmon. Brothers prepare it as a treat. Oom good!

I was raised on salmon,  smoke salmon, fried salmon, baked salmon, creamed salmon on rice, potatoes or toast, salmon patties, salmon sandwiches, salmon filets, salmon loaf, salmon steaks, no grilled salmon, we didn't own a grille, but a lot of canned salmon. I still like salmon just as I like hamburger, which we ate when we didn't have salmon or were out of albcore. Now a grilled hamburger, that is a treat. 

Can we call you "Bubba, uh... Salmon"

• 1 month later...

I think that all of us  - whatever our diet - will be in for a complete change in the New World. I have long thought that humans ploughing up acres of fields and altering the biodiversity, usually for the worst, with such agricultural practices, is so against nature and how it grows and replenishes itself. 

Jehovah wanted the garden of Eden spread earthwide. He didn't have acres of mono-cultured fields of grains that had to be sprayed and weeded endlessly to keep going. 

Despite what we have been brought up with, we don't need agriculture of all types like we have now, so vegans/vegetarians may also find their diet being different because they won't eat so much of the grain-based food we do now in the quantities that people have been fooled into believing is necessary for survival.

I am diabetic and when I put it in remission it by eating a lower carbohydrate diet - a bit like the vegetarian/vegan regarding the false protein needs  - I was at first, verbally chastised by my doctor and diabetic clinic nurses who said that carbohydrate was an important part of the diet - a large part of the "food pyramid" of the basics for a healthy diet. But how did such a diet/food pyramid get decided if not by the grain/agri-business with their paid researchers? There's enough carbohydrate in fruit, vegetables, nuts and some seeds/whole- grain for me to healthily digest now I haven't a good pancreas to tackle so much as I did before - 400 000 in the Diabetes UK are thriving on this diet now, so Doctors are taking a different view at last!

The diet of the so-called Blue Zones of today's earth - where the population has a large ratio of people who live healthily for over 100 years - make interesting study. Many of them eat a large variety of what they themselves grow seasonally fresh; on their own soil; in their own environment. Red meat is a rarer meal addition for once a fortnight or month or when other food is scarce in winter or just not eaten at all. Seafood and poultry are eaten a little more, but not in quantity. It's mainly a plant-based diet.

Blue-zone people eat mornings and evenings and not much in between other than drinking, as that time is for working or resting - None of them graze or snack like Western people do while watching TV/films/sports - That is a modern habit they never developed. Their digestion was studied and science learned that if people let food have time to completely digest - without snacking or eating junk - then their guts can go through a neutralising rinse/rest rebuild and reset cycle ready to properly digest the next good food meal.Their food was good building material for their bodies - not junk and quite a variety.

Blue zone people wake and sleep to the seasons as well and sleep more in winter to conserve energy while there isn't much work to do outdoors. They do not keep themselves awake with too much artificial light late into the night. Studying them getting a good night's sleep meant scientist now realise that our brains can also go through a few  reboot cycles, ending with a rinse of neutralizing chemicals each night. The brain seems to shrink or squeeze away bad stuff and then resoak itself with fresh chemicals ready for another day's activity.

What they also learned is that what nutrients we get out of our food, no matter what our diets,  is dependent on how we care for the inner garden of the friendly bacteria and balance of other fungi and viruses in our large intestines. We once had ability to make so much more of our own nutrients, such as vitamin C ( like other mammals) and have lost it because some time in the past our diet and lifestyle/antibiotic overuse wiped out our inner populations and we couldn't replace what we lost as we did not know that we had lost it as the 'microbiome' is a recent science.

The New World will be a Revelation of eating and living to the environment, so different to today that we cannot judge each other for what and how we eat now - None of us are in the right clean environment with the complete variety of good foods and the right divine instructions like Adam & Eve were getting at the breezy part of the day in Eden. We just have to do what we feel is best for us with our various imperfections and environment we have now.

That's why Jehovah hasn't been giving us rules on it (except that blood is his alone) . He knew that such rules would be too much of a hardship to adhere to on this now polluted planet under much oppressive rulership.Some poor souls we know struggle to get anything to eat some days and don't have the luxury of judging each other for what diets they follow!

Edited by retroHelen

I recently started eating vegan for health reason and it helped me SO SO MUCH!!!! All my health ailments practically disappeared and I lost weight! We went through some financial changes so I went back to regular food but I have decided to try and make the switch permanent! I have never felt better in my life than eating vegan and I was never bloated or sick or had stomach aches! I lost weight, my skin looked amazing... I can’t wait for Jehovah to bless us with perfection! It was def a glimpse of that for me. I have had some serious auto immune issues so it was so amazing to see that GO AWAY... 

On 8/9/2018 at 12:14 AM, hatcheckgirl said:

I like the idea of eating fresh food, unprocessed and bought from the markets.  To eat free-range eggs and chickens, and grass-fed beef would be great.  This used to be what society had, once.  But because of the big $$ that food production is now, we are stuck with what the supermarkets offer.  It takes time and a lot more money to source sustainable, fresh, organic, natural food now.  Whether we're talking vegetables or meat.

Too true!

Remember when Bethel had farms for their own consumption?  Things have changed. They seemed to get the balance right 'for this system'.  It was cheaper to get food commercially and make better use of the manpower at their disposal.  What we choose to eat is, again, a personal thing. And again what others do is none of our business.

A Qapla mentioned Vegan and vegetarians (not witnesses) have made me feel like a monster for eating meat. Strangely though... After the vegan and vegetarian blasted me, in unison, for my eating meat,  the vegan turned on the vegetarian and said they were no better than me !!!!!

None of our literature talk like this.

regarding the OPs comment on a forum for just them to get support. As long as it is just that.. support. These 'clubs' can become like an elite or exclusive and descend into us and them. Much like the detested cliques at the hall that happen. A CO once said that an all black or all white congregation is a never a good thing as it is difficult to appreciate the other's side. We're better off respecting other's consciences with love.

The one exception is this forum: we all want what Jehovah wants in the end.. superior knowledge but not out own thinking.

On 8/9/2018 at 12:14 AM, hatcheckgirl said:

Whatever is best for us, diet wise, is what we'll enjoy in the new world.  And in the meantime, we eat the best we can now to keep our bodies functioning as best as it can in this horrible system, where even our food gives us grief.

On 10/23/2018 at 8:13 PM, retroHelen said:

I think that all of us  - whatever our diet - will be in for a complete change in the New World. I have long thought that humans ploughing up acres of fields and altering the biodiversity, usually for the worst, with such agricultural practices, is so against nature and how it grows and replenishes itself. 

Jehovah wanted the garden of Eden spread earthwide. He didn't have acres of mono-cultured fields of grains that had to be sprayed and weeded endlessly to keep going. 

Despite what we have been brought up with, we don't need agriculture of all types like we have now, so vegans/vegetarians may also find their diet being different because they won't eat so much of the grain-based food we do now in the quantities that people have been fooled into believing is necessary for survival.

I am diabetic and when I put it in remission it by eating a lower carbohydrate diet - a bit like the vegetarian/vegan regarding the false protein needs  - I was at first, verbally chastised by my doctor and diabetic clinic nurses who said that carbohydrate was an important part of the diet - a large part of the "food pyramid" of the basics for a healthy diet. But how did such a diet/food pyramid get decided if not by the grain/agri-business with their paid researchers? There's enough carbohydrate in fruit, vegetables, nuts and some seeds/whole- grain for me to healthily digest now I haven't a good pancreas to tackle so much as I did before - 400 000 in the Diabetes UK are thriving on this diet now, so Doctors are taking a different view at last!

I'm glad you have sorted your own health out!

I get gout really bad on occasion yet it does not seem to follow any off the usual things that were on the doctors list. Newer research have made different conclusions both on what is considered the 'proper' level of uric acid and its causes but doctors  (my doctor) still goes by 'what he/she learned' but from years ago.

I got my own blood tester and spent money doing my own research on what  causes what. 

Good for you!!!

The diet of the so-called Blue Zones of today's earth - where the population has a large ratio of people who live healthily for over 100 years - make interesting study. Many of them eat a large variety of what they themselves grow seasonally fresh; on their own soil; in their own environment. Red meat is a rarer meal addition for once a fortnight or month or when other food is scarce in winter or just not eaten at all. Seafood and poultry are eaten a little more, but not in quantity. It's mainly a plant-based diet.

Blue-zone people eat mornings and evenings and not much in between other than drinking, as that time is for working or resting - None of them graze or snack like Western people do while watching TV/films/sports - That is a modern habit they never developed. Their digestion was studied and science learned that if people let food have time to completely digest - without snacking or eating junk - then their guts can go through a neutralising rinse/rest rebuild and reset cycle ready to properly digest the next good food meal.Their food was good building material for their bodies - not junk and quite a variety.

Blue zone people wake and sleep to the seasons as well and sleep more in winter to conserve energy while there isn't much work to do outdoors. They do not keep themselves awake with too much artificial light late into the night. Studying them getting a good night's sleep meant scientist now realise that our brains can also go through a few  reboot cycles, ending with a rinse of neutralizing chemicals each night. The brain seems to shrink or squeeze away bad stuff and then resoak itself with fresh chemicals ready for another day's activity.

What they also learned is that what nutrients we get out of our food, no matter what our diets,  is dependent on how we care for the inner garden of the friendly bacteria and balance of other fungi and viruses in our large intestines. We once had ability to make so much more of our own nutrients, such as vitamin C ( like other mammals) and have lost it because some time in the past our diet and lifestyle/antibiotic overuse wiped out our inner populations and we couldn't replace what we lost as we did not know that we had lost it as the 'microbiome' is a recent science.

didn't know any of this.. thanks

The New World will be a Revelation of eating and living to the environment, so different to today that we cannot judge each other for what and how we eat now - None of us are in the right clean environment with the complete variety of good foods and the right divine instructions like Adam & Eve were getting at the breezy part of the day in Eden. We just have to do what we feel is best for us with our various imperfections and environment we have now.

That's why Jehovah hasn't been giving us rules on it (except that blood is his alone) . He knew that such rules would be too much of a hardship to adhere to on this now polluted planet under much oppressive rulership.Some poor souls we know struggle to get anything to eat some days and don't have the luxury of judging each other for what diets they follow!

Yay! Roll on new System :)

4 hours ago, Alan said:

Strangely though... After the vegan and vegetarian blasted me, in unison, for my eating meat,  the vegan turned on the vegetarian and said they were no better than me !!!!!

Interesting, so apparently eating meat isn't the cause of aggressive behavior...:whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D