JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vegan and vegetarian brothers and sisters

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

Are we allowed to eat mushrooms? They are neither plants nor animals...

That is a good point. If we take green vegetation as being an absolute, then no more mushrooms on our steaks. :whistling:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I guess that depends on the mushroom ... there are some you will only eat once :eek:

Some are good - some have hallucinogenics - some are lethal

Yes, but none are plants. So if we are to have a plant-baserad diet, then no more mushrooms. In fact, no more fungii, so no more fermented bread, for instance.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

13 hours ago, Naturale said:

Jehovah didn't make eating meat compulsory.  He gave us the option to do so if we want to.  The ancient Hebrews didn't eat much meat at all, only on special occasions.  It doesn't mean that all of them did either.  

Sussana, it is true we eat too much meat these days but the ancient Hebrews ate meat too. Why they kept all those goats, sheep, and so on? The priests were on a rich meat diet. 

4 hours ago, tarcamion said:

Sussana, it is true we eat too much meat these days but the ancient Hebrews ate meat too. Why they kept all those goats, sheep, and so on? The priests were on a rich meat diet. 

I was only saying that meat is an option - a choice. It isn't compulsory.  The Hebrews general population didn't eat much meat - only on special events.

Not everyone can digest meat.  Not everyone likes it.

Edited by Naturale

6 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Yes, but none are plants. So if we are to have a plant-baserad diet, then no more mushrooms. In fact, no more fungii, so no more fermented bread, for instance.

Vegetation has a broad meaning in the scriptures to include much more than just greenery.

I can’t eat many vegetables it upsets my stomach. I eat a hamburger or steak.... no problem. I eat broccoli or spinach or even a normal salad and it doesn’t digest well....and I end up regretting it. So does my wife. :lol1:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

I can’t eat many vegetables it upsets my stomach. I eat a hamburger or steak.... no problem. I eat broccoli or spinach or even a normal salad and it doesn’t digest well....and I end up regretting it. So does my wife. :lol1:

Is this no matter how you cook it?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

Is this no matter how you cook it?

It’s a little  better if I cook it and it’s soft.

I’ve heard that by cooking veggies you lose vitamins and minerals. :shrugs:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

You don’t. You lose some if you don’t know how to cook them. Cooked properly, some can become very much more healthy to you.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

Vitamins but not minerals

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

Documentation?

*** it-1 p. 844 Food ***
The common people did not ordinarily eat much meat. But occasionally a goat or a lamb would be slaughtered for a communion sacrifice or in honor of a guest. 
V

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

35 minutes ago, Old said:

*** it-1 p. 844 Food ***
The common people did not ordinarily eat much meat. But occasionally a goat or a lamb would be slaughtered for a communion sacrifice or in honor of a guest. 
V

True, but that was because they were poor. Wealthier people ate more meat. So eating meat was clearly associated with how it was accessible. There are links between how health and diet in different populations in history. There is no culture that performed better without meat as an important ingredient in the diet.

1 hour ago, tarcamion said:

True, but that was because they were poor. Wealthier people ate more meat. So eating meat was clearly associated with how it was accessible. There are links between how health and diet in different populations in history. There is no culture that performed better without meat as an important ingredient in the diet.

OK I cited my authority, do you have an authority to cite?

We are not talking about meat being an important ingredient, just about quantity. Who invented chicken soup?

11 hours ago, Qapla said:

Documentation?

Well it's just a fact. Would you like me to write a 4 page essay about it?  :p

8 hours ago, Old said:

*** it-1 p. 844 Food ***
V

Yes exactly.

Edited by Naturale

8 hours ago, tarcamion said:

The Hebrews were thriving when all around them were unhealthy and dying of dreadful diseases.  Gods people thrived due to obeying Gods strict laws regarding such things as sanitation and diet, avoiding unclean foods for example.

Edited by Naturale

My grandad, his brothers and their father all ate huge quantities of meat, lots of steak.  They didn't really eat any veg at all.  They all died of bowel disease at a young age as a direct result of diet.  The reality is that it is detrimental to health to eat meat and no veg whereas it is not detrimental to health to eat veg and no meat.

Red meat may affect cancer risk because naturally occurring chemicals formed during digestion have been found to damage the cells that line the bowel.

Edited by Naturale

For the Israelites faithful adherence to God’s law would largely have prevented poverty so their way of eating was not due to poverty.

Also there was no food shortage while the Israelites were in Egypt, the Bible indicates that the Israelites had plenty of food to eat. After their deliverance from bondage, the Israelites reminisced about the food there.

4 hours ago, Naturale said:

My grandad, his brothers and their father all ate huge quantities of meat, lots of steak.  They didn't really eat any veg at all.  They all died of bowel disease at a young age as a direct result of diet.

Since they were all directly related is it possible that their untimely death had more to do with DNA then diet?

My Grandmother and her mother both were avid meat eaters and both lived to nearly 100. My FIL is a meat eater and he is 85. My brother is 72 and I am 66 ... although we do eat vegetables, we also eat meat and have or entire lives.

I had a couple friends that that were vegetarians. One died at 28 and the other in his 40's.

To say that any particular diet is the blame for all health issues and death is not really logical. There are many other factors that this system presents that can have a detrimental effect on us. We should not get so caught up in any particular diet that we lose sight of the fact that the New System will have the cure for the ailments of the human race.

What diet will we have then? Who knows ... it may be different than any of us imagine.

As for this thread - why not let the OP have the thread for what he stated was his desire - "I would like to meet more vegan or vegetarian brothers and sisters around the world. I've been a vegetarian since 2008" - instead of debating the benefits/evils of any particular diet?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

13 minutes ago, Qapla said:

As for this thread - why not let the OP have the thread for what he stated was his desire - "I would like to meet more vegan or vegetarian brothers and sisters around the world. I've been a vegetarian since 2008" - instead of debating the benefits/evils of any particular diet?

I came on here simply for that reason as I have had a plant based diet for many years.   I was only defending the fact that it isn't necessary for health or compulsory to eat meat as some  carnivores seem to think.  Maybe the carnivores should have their own page then and leave us herbivores in peace :D

There is a difference in "defending the fact that it isn't necessary for health or compulsory to eat meat" and implying that someone who eats a different diet than you is doing harm to their own health and seeming to say eating meat is wrong.

As far as a page for "carnivores" ... those of us who are "omnivores" would also need a page. (Just because someone has meat in their diet does not make them a carnivore - a carnivore eats "only" meat)

• Carnivore
    • meaning "meat eater", is an organism that derives its energy and nutrient requirements from a diet consisting mainly or exclusively of animal tissue
  • Omnivore
    • an animal that has the ability to eat and survive on both plant and animal matter. Obtaining energy and nutrients from plant and animal matter, omnivores digest carbohydrates, protein, fat, and fiber, and metabolize the nutrients and energy of the sources absorbed. Often, they have the ability to incorporate food sources such as algae, fungi, and bacteria into their diet
  • Herbivore
    • an animal anatomically and physiologically adapted to eating plant material, for example foliage or marine algae, for the main component of its diet. As a result of their plant diet, herbivorous animals typically have mouth parts adapted to rasping or grinding. A large percentage of herbivores have mutualistic gut flora that help them digest plant matter, which is more difficult to digest than animal tissue. This flora is made up of cellulose-digesting protozoans or bacteria

As a side point, while you may choose to eat a vegetarian diet - humans, as our current body design indicates, are omnivores.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

49 minutes ago, Qapla said:

There is a difference in "defending the fact that it isn't necessary for health or compulsory to eat meat" and implying that someone who eats a different diet than you is doing harm to their own health and seeming to say eating meat is wrong.

I've never implied that eating meat is wrong as it is a personal choice whether we do or we don't.  I was only saying that we are allowed the choice.  It is still a fact that some diets are better for health than others and eating only meat and nothing else is not good for anyone.  Interestingly the Israeli diet is still one of the healthiest.  https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-has-lowest-rate-of-diet-related-deaths-in-the-world-major-study-finds/

Anyway isn't it true that Klingons eat live creatures?  So you need a page for that :p