JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vegan and vegetarian brothers and sisters

I met this woman today who said she recognized me from a vegan group, but I'd never met herbivore. :laugh: 

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

I’ve been about 95% raw for a little over a week now (I eat twice a day and am only eating one cooked meal a week) and have noticed quite a change. I was puzzled because I wasn’t eating that much but I wasn’t feeling hungry throughout the day either. You know, that “hunger” sensation you get in the pit of your stomach. I would get a “wanting” feeling in the back of my throat. It’s very hard to explain. Then I remembered what I heard raw vegan Loren Lockman say on YouTube. He said that true hunger is felt in the back of the throat, not the stomach. People who get headaches, stomach pain/spasms, shaky, irritable, and mentally dull when “hungry” feel this way because they are experiencing withdrawal symptoms and have a highly toxic body. All this time I thought feeling a slight pain in your stomach and getting a “hunger headache” was a normal part of feeling hungry. I’m learning so much as a vegan. Here’s a quote from Joel Fuhrman, a certified medical family physician specializing in nutritional medicine: 

Likewise, a few hours after eating the standard low-nutrient diet most people begin to feel “hungry”. They feel weak, headachy, tired, mentally dull, and have stomach spasms. I call it “toxic hunger” because these symptoms only occur in those who have been eating a toxic diet. True hunger would not have occurred so early after the meal.

True hunger signals when our body needs calories to maintain our lean body mass. If we ate food demanded by true hunger and true hunger only, people would not become overweight to begin with. In our present toxic food environment, we have lost the ability to connect with the body signals that tell us how much food we actually need. We have become slaves to withdrawal symptoms and eat all day long, even when there is no biological need for calories.

https://plantbaseddietitian.com/toxic-hunger-the-main-cause-of-obesity-by-dr-joel-fuhrman-m-d/

The link above is a good read. He talks more about what true hunger feels like and how toxic hunger leads to obesity. I encourage all to read it. 

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 minute ago, Brother Jack said:

I’ve been about 95% raw for a little over a week now (I eat twice a day and am only eating one cooked meal a week) and have noticed quite a change. 

I’m now 8 lbs under my average weight due to eating this way :)

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

5 minutes ago, EccentricM said:

I have to eat regular to maintain my weight. I'm roughly 9st (126lbs) and 5'5ft (166cm).

What size stones.... pebbles or Ayers Rock size ? Makes a difference mate LOL :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

11 hours ago, Qapla said:

Image result for wide eye emoji

OH NO!

Jack's wasting away to nothing ...

No, I’m not because I’m slightly overweight because of medication I take. When I said I’m lower than my Average weight I meant my average weight on the medication and not my average weight off the medication. I’m 5’8 and am suppose to weigh 160 lbs but currently weight 193 lbs. I’m naturally athletic and have not lost any muscle mass. I’m losing fat, not muscle mass.

Edited by Brother Jack

21 hours ago, Hope said:

@Brother Jack - all I can say is that you're gonna have to marry a super special, unique sister to accommodate your eating preferences.  So many sisters love to cook and entertain - raw foods are going to be a serious restriction to agree to.

May you stay blessed... ❤️ 

I don’t look at it that way. I think many sisters would be relieved to not have to cook for another person. My mom jokingly was talking about why she doesn’t want to get married. She said “I don’t want some old man coming home asking me what’s for dinner.” I don’t want to get married in this system anyway. And if I did, I’ve never been one of those guys looking for a woman to cook and clean for me. I can do that myself. But if I didn’t get married in this system, I wouldn’t eat my wife’s cooking unless it was vegan. Nobody can talk me out of being vegan :)

Not all women view cooking as a drudgery. I LOVE to cook and it's much more enjoyable to cook *for* someone than it is to cook for one.  That's one of the many things I look forward to doing if I ever marry.  But I sure would not want to talk a man *into* eating my food, that's for sure! :P 

Regarding your last two sentences, though -- that's why I said you'd have to marry a super special, unique sister.  In this system or the next!  😉❤️ 

8 minutes ago, Hope said:

Not all women view cooking as a drudgery. I LOVE to cook and it's much more enjoyable to cook *for* someone than it is to cook for one.  That's one of the many things I look forward to doing if I ever marry.  But I sure would not want to talk a man *into* eating my food, that's for sure! :P 

Regarding your last two sentences, though -- that's why I said you'd have to marry a super special, unique sister.  In this system or the next!  😉❤️ 

Yes, but even if I didn’t, I’m sure a sister wouldn’t not marry me just because I don’t eat the standard American diet. After all, I’m the romantic type :lol:

Just now, Hope said:

mmmm.... romantic salad with shoots and twigs.... :wub:

... with a chilled bottle of green stuff and two champagne glasses. More power to jou jack, I admire you conviction.  :)

Wishy washy Jerry 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

For all those wondering if vegans and vegetarians are protein deficient, I just compared a blood test results summary when I ate meat in 2015 and one as a vegan in 2018. My protein level was 7.4 as a meat eater and 7.3 as a vegan. Still within range 😁

On 6/11/2019 at 3:11 PM, Brother Jack said:

I wouldn’t eat my wife’s cooking unless it was vegan. Nobody can talk me out of being vegan :)

That is very commendable.

Just don't try to talk me into being a vegan ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Before I went vegan I used to have high blood pressure. Sometimes it would be dangerously high. Everyday I would wake up and and wonder if this would be the day I would have a heart attack, stroke or aneurysm. One time while I was at the doctor the bottom number alone was 120. I thought to myself that I refuse to endanger or lose my life over food. I decided to go vegan. My blood pressure was even high when I was vegetarian due to all the dairy I was consuming. I checked my blood pressure yesterday and it was 109 over 73. I know that may sound low to some but people eating a plant based diet tend to have lower than “normal” blood pressure. I went to see my doctor that same day and they checked it. It was 120 over 68. I’m so happy I don’t have to worry about high blood pressure anymore.

I'm happy you've got your blood pressure under control.  Would you say your family has a tendency for that?  That's often a huge factor, regardless of diet.

I've always had low blood pressure and I eat very non-vegan.  😉  Just had it taken on Tuesday, it's 110 over 60.  I have to lose about five million pounds, but at least I won't have a stroke any time soon!  :D 

On 6/14/2019 at 7:23 PM, Hope said:

I'm happy you've got your blood pressure under control.  Would you say your family has a tendency for that?  That's often a huge factor, regardless of diet.

I've always had low blood pressure and I eat very non-vegan.  😉  Just had it taken on Tuesday, it's 110 over 60.  I have to lose about five million pounds, but at least I won't have a stroke any time soon!  :D 

Well my mom usually has low blood pressure and my dad has what’s considered good blood pressure (my mom turns 66 this month and my dad is 65). My grandmother on my mom’s side died from congestive heart failure and was taking high blood pressure medication. My living grandmother on my father’s side is on blood pressure medication but she has a poor diet and so did my grandmother who passed away. None of my siblings have high blood pressure. If your family has a tendency towards high blood pressure, you would be more susceptible to it if you ate poorly, but if you ate a plant based diet you most likely wouldn’t suffer from it. 

Yes, it’s nice not having to worry about the problems that high blood pressure bring :)

Adopting a vegan lifestyle is a lot like learning the truth. When you find out how a vegan lifestyle greatly benefits the human body and cures and prevents cancer, reverses heart disease, cures type 1 diabetes, high blood pressure, manages rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and many other ailments, you are constantly looking to making changes to your lifestyle according to the new information you are learning. You are excited and want to tell everyone... but you soon learn that most people are not as excited as you are about the things you are learning. When you try to show people how beneficial a vegan lifestyle is they argue you down because they don’t want to make changes in their lifestyle. So you quickly learn when to speak about it and when not to speak about it.

I’m sure my fellow vegans can relate :)

16 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

they don’t want to make changes in their lifestyle.

Or they don't believe veganism is scriptural. 😏

I'm being sarcastic.

I do keto which is the anti-vegan diet. I've lost weight and cured a lot of my ailments too. There's science pro and con all both keto and vegan. I can't trust any health official because they are all too poisoned by Satan's greedy world. The data has been manipulated by special interests, mostly political. I'm sure we will have an optimal diet when we're perfect. For now, we have to stick with whatever works for us, what we can afford, and what's available.

Sadly, neither my diet nor yours can meet all three of those criteria for everyone.

Edited by Duplo