JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vegan and vegetarian brothers and sisters

9 hours ago, Naturale said:

Brown rice and a variety of whole grains are so good though and support blood sugar.  We were designed to eat them and a whole variation of foods.  I'm not being negative you understand, it's just that I can't help feeling a bit concerned bro.   Despite what you say fruits are high in sugar which is fine in their place. Living on them though can result in nutrient and blood sugar imbalances and issues with insulin control as well as tooth decay.  Eating only fruit lacks vitamin D and things such as phosphorus, magnesium and calcium.  There is only minimal fat in fruit which is necessary for heart, brain, hormones and enzymes.

A largely plant based way of eating is healthy and includes whole grains, tubers, vegetables,eggs, legumes and fruits.  This lifestyle reduces the risk of diabetes, obesity, heart disease and cancer.  It improves mental state and fights chronic disease.  Consuming a wide variety of foods eliminates chances of developing deficiencies and creates the foundation for balance.

If it has to be cooked then I wonder if we are really supposed to eat it and not animals. But that’s just my opinion. In my research I’ve actually found that grains are unnecessary foods that are very difficult to digest. Here’s some info on that  https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/reasons-why-grains-are-hard-to-digest/ 

I appreciate your concern but my mom is a fruitarian and is doing just fine. She has the energy to do 12 hour days in service and is healthy. There’s plenty of people who live on a fruit only diet and are fine. I may eat lettuce for the nutritional value, although I’ve never liked lettuce or salad. 

You get vitamin D from the sun. There’s phosphorus in flax seeds and I already eat 3 tablespoons of ground flax seed a day. There’s loads of magnesium in avocados and I eat 1 or 2 a day. There’s adequate amounts of calcium in oranges. There’s just enough amounts of fat in fruit, especially avocados. Remember, fruitarians also eat nuts and seeds and get other nutrients from them. 

Don’t worry after  I start my journey, I’ll post my blood test results 😉

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

Genuinely curious - what makes you think that cooking is something we are not supposed to do to our food?  I'm disinclined to hold the view that because animals don't do it, we should either.  They don't do a lot of things that we do... even that we *must* do.  They are not meant to be the example of how to live as humans.

21 minutes ago, Hope said:

Genuinely curious - what makes you think that cooking is something we are not supposed to do to our food?  I'm disinclined to hold the view that because animals don't do it, we should either.  They don't do a lot of things that we do... even that we *must* do.  They are not meant to be the example of how to live as humans.

Since you seem to be so shocked by the things I say, I’d rather not :lol:

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 minute ago, Brother Jack said:

I think she said genuinely curious, not shocked. I am genuinely curious also, I am definitely not shocked.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

4 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

😮  I'll be honest - this is actually the first shocking thing I've seen you write.  There's much that causes bemusement but not shock.

@Hope, @Old No, I don’t think it would be wise to discuss why I think there’s a possibility we weren’t meant to be cooking food hard to digest. I think I’ve learned by now that bringing up things like that is fruitless. Some family members who are vegan and I have noticed that our “diet” has become a hot topic of discussion and debate so many times among the friends. It’s not worth talking about sometimes. Not trying to be rude, just honest.

13 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

If it has to be cooked then I wonder if we are really supposed to eat it and not animals. But that’s just my opinion. In my research I’ve actually found that grains are unnecessary foods that are very difficult to digest. Here’s some info on that  https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/reasons-why-grains-are-hard-to-digest/ 

I appreciate your concern but my mom is a fruitarian and is doing just fine. She has the energy to do 12 hour days in service and is healthy. There’s plenty of people who live on a fruit only diet and are fine. I may eat lettuce for the nutritional value, although I’ve never liked lettuce or salad. 

You get vitamin D from the sun. There’s phosphorus in flax seeds and I already eat 3 tablespoons of ground flax seed a day. There’s loads of magnesium in avocados and I eat 1 or 2 a day. There’s adequate amounts of calcium in oranges. There’s just enough amounts of fat in fruit, especially avocados. Remember, fruitarians also eat nuts and seeds and get other nutrients from them. 

Don’t worry after  I start my journey, I’ll post my blood test results 😉

I soak my grains overnight and cook them properly so that makes them perfectly digestible.  As for cooking things well there is nothing to suggest that Adam and Eve didn't have a fire and cook certain things. A mixture of cooked and raw foods is beneficial for a human.   We don't know exactly how they ate but we know they weren't required to eat like animals who don't have the ability to prepare food and cook. We know Adam and Eve were super intelligent and were given specific information about food from our creator who created a variety of foods including vegetation to eat so we know we should eat that in good quantities.    Anyway I can see your mind is made up on being a fruitarian and so whilst I don't agree with that it is your choice and  I wish you well :)

Edited by Naturale

A significant problem with trying to imitate Adam and Eve in...really, anything is the obvious: they were perfect; we're not. Their telomeres probably wouldn't have gotten shorter as the years passed; ours do (that's a speculative joke, btw). More importantly, they lived in a world under the vapor canopy which would have blocked out a lot of the sun's radiation. It's probably not a coincidence that post-Flood the lifespans of everyone dropped significantly. Think of it: everyone before the Flood lived way past 600 years. After the Flood? Within just four generations, the lifespan dropped to 175 years.

All of that, plus a lot of stuff we don't know about yet, is probably the reason Jehovah gave Noah's family the instruction to eat meat. Perhaps he knew that the human family would struggle to find enough protein from plants because the environment had changed so drastically. In some parts of the world (think Arctic regions), agriculture is virtually non-existent and people eat meat exclusively. Therefore, it's really tough to deduce anything useful from how Adam and Even MAY have lived.

The takeaway for me? And I say this after spending WAY too much time researching "optimal" nutrition. There are two very important things to remember:

1) There is no optimal diet because Jehovah didn't give us one. Eat what you want, but I say, try to eat the stuff Jehovah made, not man (ie. berries=good; Kraft Macaroni & Cheese=bad)

2) There is no such thing as perfect health in this world. Even should we eat perfectly and purify our water, the air we breathe is polluted.

Kraft Macaroni and Cheese surely isn't that bad? :D

6 minutes ago, Duplo said:

1) There is no optimal diet because Jehovah didn't give us one. Eat what you want, but I say, try to eat the stuff Jehovah made, not man (ie. berries=good; Kraft Macaroni & Cheese=bad)

2) There is no such thing as perfect health in this world. Even should we eat perfectly and purify our water, the air we breathe is polluted.

Kraft Macaroni and Cheese surely isn't that bad? :D

3 minutes ago, Hope said:

It is delicious!!!!!  Especially with bacon in! 😍🤤

Quite right. I was speaking of "optimal" nutrition. Surely, it will be great to one day get some actual direction about what's best for us. I can imagine us asking the angels if such-and-such is good for us and them laughing and saying, "are you serious?" Sadly, mac and cheese is probably on that list. 😆

1 hour ago, Duplo said:

Quite right. I was speaking of "optimal" nutrition. Surely, it will be great to one day get some actual direction about what's best for us. I can imagine us asking the angels if such-and-such is good for us and them laughing and saying, "are you serious?" Sadly, mac and cheese is probably on that list. 😆

I reckon the angels are jealous that they can't eat it :D

We have a Sister that went vegan for about a year to get her digestive system straightened out. she was able to find out exactly what bothered her tummy by slowly eliminating foods. she now eats a vegetarian diet and her health has really improved over the course of about 2 years..when we had a get together, sometimes she brought what she could eat, or another of our sisters would make something for her..and we have a couple in our Hall that are vegans for health reasons, and are really improving. Noone cares or tries to give anyone a hard time for the foods they choose to eat, or not eat.

We love one another and try to be closer to one another, the time is coming when  we all need to pull together to get thru this system..who has time to care what so-and-so eats?

1 hour ago, Brother Jack said:

@Hope I just want to apologize if what I said offended you. I understand that humor isn’t always taken that way.

LOL - oh, Jack - I am neither shocked nor offended!  As I said, I was only curious about the no cooking concept.  No explanation is required, of course -- I'm just reading along. :)

Peace, bro!

5 hours ago, Naturale said:

There is a way of squashing mushrooms, compacting them and cooking them so that they taste like steak :D

Here's what I don't understand about vegetarians: if steak or cheese or meat is so bad, why are vegetarians always trying to make other things taste like them? 😉

Here's what I don't understand about vegetarians: if steak or cheese or meat is so bad, why are vegetarians always trying to make other things taste like them?

It isn’t the taste that is bad, necessarily, it is the animal cruelty and environmental impact that they are trying to get away from.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

11 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

As much as I do enjoy kelp I would quite frankly have no confidence in eating what I could gather. Seems like among other hazards one might wish to keep a Geiger counter on hand.

Actually the seaweed where I live measures quite high on the Geiger counter since we are not so far away from a nuclear power station.

Edited by Naturale

3 hours ago, Thesauron said:

It isn’t the taste that is bad, necessarily, it is the animal cruelty and environmental impact that they are trying to get away from.

Sure, sure. But here's the question: should a Christian be overly concerned with those things, which are often seen as political issues? As long as Satan is running things, the environment will continue to be polluted and animals will be treated poorly no matter what any human does. Those problems can't be fixed except through God's kingdom. Even if we all abstained from meat, the problem won't go away. So where does one draw the line?