JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vegan and vegetarian brothers and sisters

22 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Highlights how ridiculous evolution is ay?

Since mankind started out as vegetarian and eventually became meat eaters, isn't that an evolutionary step forward?

:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 8/7/2018 at 3:11 AM, Antares92 said:

it hasn't been easy to accept and forgive the prejudices of other members of Jehovah's people. 

Imagine what I have to deal with ...! I am donutarian :eat: LOL

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

2 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

I am donutarian :eat: LOL

Really?

http://www.donutarianism.com

:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

11 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

Imagine what I have to deal with ...! I am donutarian :eat: LOL

Sad! Only the New System can provide a your cure for your condition. In the meantime feed it as needed.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

13 minutes ago, Old said:

Sad! Only the New System can provide a your cure for your condition. In the meantime feed it as needed.

Too late, the yeast has fermented the whole lump...:lol:

15 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Too late, the yeast has fermented the whole lump...:lol:

Yes, but you can poke a hole in the lump. Let's see, what can we call that hole? Any ideas?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

16 hours ago, anniebea said:

After hearing the news that micro plastics have been found in the human gut... I'm really happy that I've been vegetarian for many years!

Not sure what this has to do with eating meats, vegetables, dairy or even donuts ... or, not eating some of them ...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2018/10/news-plastics-microplastics-human-feces/

Food packaging can shed small fibers. So can household carpeting, clothing, and other plastic-based items that populate our everyday lives. Could the fibers in the stool have come from airborne dust that fell onto the study participants’ food before they consumed it? Or did the microplastics come from the food or packaging itself?

Since the plastics can be airborne or come from the packaging .... :shrugs: 

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 5 months later...

I’ve been watching some YouTubers who are raw vegans (vegans who don’t eat cooked food, only raw fruit and vegetables) for some time and I’ve decided to go raw vegan on my 33rd birthday, October 8. I tried it a couple of times and could only last a week and a half. I’m doing this for optimal health and since it is the most ideal way to eat. I want to eat only raw fruits and vegetables but am afraid at how much it is going to cost. I currently am about 90% raw now. I’ll just enjoy cooked food until then. No discouraging comments please :)

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

As the health and longevity benefits of the Ketogenic diet are being well documented by research . And I have seen it’s results long term personally in my own life . It begs the question “ Is there any way to recreate the ketogenic dieta effect while practicing vegan Or Vegetarian diets?  

On 8/10/2018 at 6:34 PM, anniebea said:

I get asked that as well! I probably eat as much protein if not more because like you I'm very conscious to include it naturally in my diet... I eat lots of nuts, lentils etc...

Protein drinks,  protein bars... it's the 'in thing' to consume at the minute,  which is down to advertising and money/ greed...  the fact is that no one has ever died due to lack of protein!

Now that is the answer that people are looking for when they ask the question. They are skeptical because they cannot imagine what plant based sources of protein or how much to consume to achieve their goals. 

On 8/24/2018 at 11:47 PM, Qapla said:

Mentioning the SKE reminded me of something I heard about many, many years ago - long before SKE or any of those recent schools - like in the early 1970's

I will warn, it is about eating meat, not vegetables, but it does drive the point home that Michael mentioned not "expecting your dietary preferences to be accomodated".

A Brother who had volunteered to go serve where there was a need ended up in a foreign country. He was excited about his assignment - and, he was looking forward to the food. The country he was going to was known for their beef - it was supposed to be very good and extremely affordable to the local people. He thought about enjoying nice hamburgers, steaks and the like.

This particular Brother came from a place in the South (US) where chickens were common and less expensive than any other meat so they ate a lot of chicken.

Well, when he went to other Halls to give talks, every time he was invited to a meal - they served him chicken

He politely ate the chicken and never complained.

One day, a Brother he had come to know asked him why he did not seem excited about the prospect of being hosted when he was assigned another talk out - he reluctantly told the Brother that, even though he really enjoyed the visits with the publishers, he was not looking forward to another chicken dinner. The Brother was a bit taken back - and asked him why, since it was considered a luxury to have a chicken dinner in that area.

He explained about eating chicken his entire life growing up and sometimes getting pork - but, how rare it was to get beef ...

The Brother understood and spread the word - the next time this young Brother went to give a talk they grilled steaks - lots of them. In fact, it became common to feed him beef when he was invited to lunch after giving a talk.

Some said they wanted to treat him like someone special and that is why they served chicken - they thought he would be disappointed if they fed him "everyday food", like beef.

When he was asked why he never spoke up about it - he said because they had all gone to so much work to make him feel welcome and special, he didn't want to insult them - so, he ate what Jehovah provided.

Now, back to the vegetables this thread is supposed to be about :thumbsup:

That’s rather the thing we all must deal with now. Some parts of the earth simply cannot produce the same types of food as others. Imagine the cost of a vegan meal above the arctic circle. The indigenous peoples of those lands MUST rely of diets of mainly uncooked meat and fat. Conversely some areas simply cannot produce much in the way of sustainable livestock and MUST be nearly or entirely vegetarian. People native to these regions are quite used to these diets and humanity is broadly adaptable. This is probably also why ( for the sake of the good news being preached to every tribe nation and people on earth that Jehovah has not seen fit to impose any great restriction on diet at this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Protein: How much do you really need?

Heres a video from a guy by the name of Loren Lockman. He is the founder and director of Tanglewood Wellness center in Costa Rica. He is  a raw vegan and knows his stuff. His videos are very informative. Here he talks about the number one thing non vegetarians and vegans bring up when they talk about such diets. Protein.

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

On 4/24/2019 at 11:27 AM, BenJepthah said:

As the health and longevity benefits of the Ketogenic diet are being well documented by research . And I have seen it’s results long term personally in my own life . It begs the question “ Is there any way to recreate the ketogenic dieta effect while practicing vegan Or Vegetarian diets?  

It is possible as a vegetarian, almost easy if you are a good cook and like exotic food. I do eat meat, but could easily go without and stay keto, especially if it was a lax vegetarian diet that allowed eggs..  As far as doing this as a vegan, I don't see how. I mean, I guess anything is possible, but I can't see this as any long-term plan. 

On 4/24/2019 at 12:09 AM, Brother Jack said:

want to eat only raw fruits and vegetables but am afraid at how much it is going to cost. I currently am about 90% raw now. I’ll just enjoy cooked food until then. No discouraging comments please :)

Nothing negative here, that's awesome! Do you feel any different? Better? What do you eat in a day? 

On 8/6/2018 at 6:11 PM, Antares92 said:

Hi! I would like to meet more vegan or vegetarian brothers and sisters around the world. I've been a vegetarian since 2008, although it hasn't been easy to accept and forgive the prejudices of other members of Jehovah's people. Last Tuesday, for example, a sister told me that, since Jehovah authorized the consumption of meat, we were against the divine purpose… that's why we have 2 groups on Facebook, to interchange encouragement:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/979968315365585

http://www.facebook.com/groups/997593600263055

I am astounded that someone would say it is against the divine purpose to be vegetarian since originally God did not include meat as part of the human diet and it was only through  disobedience that  mankind lost their perfect life in paradise where there was the perfect non-meat diet available.  Jehovah gave permission for eating certain types of meat after the flood and no doubt right after the flood there wouldn't have been much other foods, veg or fruits about for some time.  It wasn't compulsory and the diet of Gods people didn't include much meat at all.

It is an individual personal matter whether we choose to eat meat or not.  Personally I do better without it :)

Edited by Naturale

On 4/24/2019 at 5:09 AM, Brother Jack said:

I’ve been watching some YouTubers who are raw vegans (vegans who don’t eat cooked food, only raw fruit and vegetables) for some time and I’ve decided to go raw vegan on my 33rd birthday, October 8. I tried it a couple of times and could only last a week and a half. I’m doing this for optimal health and since it is the most ideal way to eat. I want to eat only raw fruits and vegetables but am afraid at how much it is going to cost. I currently am about 90% raw now. I’ll just enjoy cooked food until then. No discouraging comments please :)

I mostly eat big (massive) piles of raw veg regularly.  I usually have with a baked potato (sweet or white)

I also eat whole grains especially brown rice, millet, quinoa.  I eat all different kinds of pulses. (Tempeh contains B12)

I do make lots of different veg soups too.

Edited by Naturale

I loved the honey jackfruit. I think it is too sweet, can't eat too much at one go. I think baked jackfruit would be nice but I thought we should be eating raw fruits. I have eaten freeze-dried jackfruit. So sweet and crispy. Makes for a nice snack. 

17a804deaaf4da6ff11c3e53cb8094a7.jpg

no coloring, 100% no sugar and 100% no additives.

When I was in Bangkok, I bought this drink that had tiny pieces of jackfruit in it. It was so delicious. I have never seen such a drink in my own country. The Indochinese people love to add bits of the tropical fruits like sea coconuts in their desserts.

image.png.b28c2bb9097db48ee9a34309d4d5d62a.png

Mung beans, rice flour, glutenous rice, lotus seeds, palm sugar, cassava root are common ingredients in Thai desserts. Besides the sweet taste, another unique characteristic of Thai desserts is the fragrance. Thai people soak jasmine and other aromatic flowers in water and use resultant scented water to make syrup. Aromatic candles are often burned next to the desserts or coconut milk in closed containers, or sometimes the desserts are placed next to fragrant flowers overnight