JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vegan and vegetarian brothers and sisters

When it comes to Salad. I often tell my heart patients that eating them is a very good practice for a heart healthy diet. Starting any meal with a salad is a fine practice. I even emphasize that ( just to get in the habit) one can have a lettuce / greens based salad and add practically anything to it ( bacon, M&M’s, trail

mix( personal favorite) pizza) . Whatever it takes to start the habit.

2 minutes ago, Naturale said:

Yes of course - I like Kimchi   I haven't ever made it though.  

It's so easy to do.

Here's the recipe I've used to good success:

KIMCHI

Ingredient list:

1 head of napa cabbage (rinse, quarter length-wise, and chop into bite-size pieces)
1/4 sea salt
warm water
1/2 c. of chili paste (made by combining kochukaru with a little warm water; you can also just use red pepper flakes but it will change the taste - still good, just different)
1 TB minced garlic
1 TB minced ginger
3 or 4 chopped green onions
2 TB fish sauce
1/2 red apple
1/2 pear
1/2 onion
glass or ceramic jar (NO PLASTIC OR METAL!)

Put the cabbage in a large bowl and combine the sea salt with the warm water and stir until dissolved (I use 1 c. of warm water but usually have to add more to get all the salt dissolved). Pour over cabbage and toss. Let sit at least an hour. Two is better. But an hour will do. You want the cabbage to be really shriveled.

Strain the cabbage and rinse the brine off. Very, very well. Add the chili paste to the cabbage bowl, then the garlic, ginger, green onions, and fish sauce. Here's the secret ingredient: cut the pear, apple, and onion into tiny pieces (leave the skin on) and liquefy in a blender. Most recipes call for white sugar to feed the bacteria during fermentation, but the fruit adds so much more so use it instead of plain sugar if you can.

Now mix everything together with your hands. It IS best to wear gloves for this unless you don't mind your hands smelling wonderful for days and days. Fill the jars, leaving about an inch at the top. Don't put the lids on too tight either. Leave on the counter (Or bury it in the ground, old-school.) at room temperature (72 degrees) for 2 to 3 days depending on how sour you like it. The warmer the room, the faster it will ferment. Burb excess gas from the jars every day and taste it after the 2nd day. After 2 or 3 days, move to the fridge which will slow the fermentation. 

Oh, you can use any other vegetables you want, too. I added shredded carrot to my latest batch, but you can add daikon, cucumber, or anything else really.

7 hours ago, Naturale said:

No!

Yes but the very first ice cream was made out of snow from Mount Etna

What they made was more related to granita, another Italian specialty. Ice cream requires cream. What is true though, is that they used ice and snow from places such as Etna to cool the ice cream.

Edited by Thesauron

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

32 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

What they made was more related to granita, another Italian specialty. Ice cream requires cream. What is true though, is that they used ice and snow from places such as Etna to cool the ice cream.

Yes it would be more like Granita.  Snow from Mount Etna was flavoured with honey and nuts or berries.  They would develop it into Gelato eventually I guess.

Ice cream should require cream but did you know that when you buy ice cream today, if it doesn't say "dairy" ice cream on the ingredients, it can be all sorts of awful things and not contain cream or dairy of any kind.  In fact it can be oil or fat.

Edited by Naturale

Yes it would be more like Granita.  Snow from Mount Etna was flavoured with honey and nuts or berries.  They would develop it into Gelato eventually I guess.

Ice cream should require cream but did you know that when you buy ice cream today, if it doesn't say "dairy" ice cream on the ingredients, it can be all sorts of awful things and not contain cream or dairy of any kind.  In fact it can be oil or fat.

The ‘ice cream’ you can buy today cheap in the stores usually has nothing to do with ice cream. It is jam packed with additives and substitutes. I am very careful with what ice cream I buy. It needs proper cream. When I first was introduced to granita as a kid, it was such a huge disappointment. It really is nothing like ice cream.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

8 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

The ‘ice cream’ you can buy today cheap in the stores usually has nothing to do with ice cream. It is jam packed with additives and substitutes. I am very careful with what ice cream I buy. It needs proper cream. When I first was introduced to granita as a kid, it was such a huge disappointment. It really is nothing like ice cream.

https://caloriebee.com/nutrition/Commercial-Ice-Cream-Ingredients-Will-Make-YOU-Scream

Yes I think I would prefer to make my own after reading this  :/

8 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Proper Gelato in Italy is lovely though as it is full of fruit :)

Edited by Naturale

Some leave the fish sauce out. Just add more salt and little rice flour (if you can) to aid the fermentation process.

Just curious, why no fish sauce?

EDIT: Duh! We're in a vegan thread, aren't we?

Fish sauce is a staple in many Asian dishes. In kimchi, it accelerates the fermentation process. It adds, not only the saltiness, but also sweetness and umami.
Proper Gelato in Italy is lovely though as it is full of fruit

As a kid visiting Italy, I never cared for the stuff. Still don’t. It just doesn’t compare.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Fish sauce is a staple in many Asian dishes. In kimchi, it accelerates the fermentation process. It adds, not only the saltiness, but also sweetness and umami.

Oh absolutely. But it is fermented fish guts which I'm pretty sure isn't exactly vegan. 😉

6 minutes ago, Naturale said:

https://caloriebee.com/nutrition/Commercial-Ice-Cream-Ingredients-Will-Make-YOU-Scream

Yes I think I would prefer to make my own after reading this

It’s always best to make your own, or get it from a reputable source. There are fine ice cream places even here making fantastic ice cream without shortcuts and substitutes.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Just now, Duplo said:

Oh absolutely. But it is fermented fish guts which I'm pretty sure isn't exactly vegan. 😉

It isn’t. People have tried to accomplish kimchi without fish sauce...

Here is an article about vegan alternatives to fish sauce:

https://www.cookinglight.com/food/vegetarian/vegan-fish-sauce-recipes

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

11 hours ago, Naturale said:

I often have some sauerkraut with cider vinegar on it on the side - always trying to improve the gut bacteria.  Any tips?

Have you tried making your own sauerkraut? It is actually quite easy. So much better than what you will buy in the store.

1 hour ago, Wanda Hill said:

I'm not vegan, but that looks delicious!..What are the toppings?

(From the online menu) Red sauce base, vegan ham, smoky seitan, ground seitan, red onions and Daiya cheese.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

I had his burger last Saturday at my favorite restaurant, Spiral Diner, a vegan restaurant in Dallas. It’s like a Big Mac but with grilled cheese sandwiches instead of a bun (vegan cheese) and potato salad as a side :eat:

3920C997-1DCC-4FC1-9179-0FEF18871021.jpeg

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

I found out about this restaurant called Da Munchies in Dallas through YouTube. I’m gonna try it in a couple of weeks. I’ll let you guys know how it is :)