JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vegan and vegetarian brothers and sisters

Like I said, your circumstances are obviously different from mine. I too have made sacrifices to advance kingdom interest. I’m a regular auxiliary pioneer and spend much time in the ministry. I do what my circumstances allow. It’s true that Jehovah would love for us to serve where the need is great... but I’m sure he wouldn’t want us to if it would mean compromising our health or putting our very lives in jeopardy. It would make more sense for someone who’s health or life won’t be jeopardized to go on the assignment instead of us. Going on the assignment would defeat the purpose. How could we serve if we are in bad health? 
If you were diabetic would you accept an assignment in a country if you knew the only available diet would compromise your health and put your life at risk? No, I don’t think you would. After all, assignments are not supposed to be death sentences. Why do you think no witnesses are sent to North Korea, Somalia and Afghanistan?

Of course we are not asked to do anything our health will not allow us to do. We all do our best, and that’s what’s important. Most of the time, though, people’s choice of diet has very little to do with serious health issues, and more with personal preference. What we don’t do is leave what we can do in the hands of others.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I made a salad for the first time in my life today. I used spiralized cucumber, organic butter and romaine lettuce, chopped organic tomato, 3 chopped avocados and lemon juice from a squeezed lemon for dressing. It was actually good :eat:

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

19 minutes ago, Hope said:

How have you never made a salad?  That's like, the most basic veg food in the world?  😳

Because I never cared for salad unless it had meat in it. I just never considered salad real food. It was like eating flavored grass to me.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

7 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

Because I never cared for salad unless it had meat in it. I just never considered salad real food. It was like eating flavored grass to me.

Wow that’s seems like quite a jump. “ Salad tastes like grass” to raw vegan. I actually love salads , the more creative the better. And Im a serious Omnivore. What I cannot tolerate ( my body cannot,I actually love the food itself) is any type of grain ( including beans and rice ( sigh). These all give me acid reflux. I can eat any leafy green , vegetable, and most fruits ( I do poorly on Pinapple and Banana) in moderation. And many of the foods I eat I can wild craft near my home. But I can in no way eat bread or anything with flour ( maybe chestnut flour) without paying a heavy price in acid .

6 hours ago, Thesauron said:

We believe that if you study these life forms, you could map their similarities to one another, not how they are related from an evolutionary viewpoint.
All I can say is... a world without ice cream? Really? Because... did Adam drink milk?

You can make ice cream out of snow :)

1 minute ago, Naturale said:

You can make ice cream out of snow :)

You might call that ice cream, but not me.

Be aware of yellow snow, it is not lemon flavored ice cream.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

Wow that’s seems like quite a jump. “ Salad tastes like grass” to raw vegan. I actually love salads , the more creative the better. And Im a serious Omnivore. What I cannot tolerate ( my body cannot,I actually love the food itself) is any type of grain ( including beans and rice ( sigh). These all give me acid reflux. I can eat any leafy green , vegetable, and most fruits ( I do poorly on Pinapple and Banana) in moderation. And many of the foods I eat I can wild craft near my home. But I can in no way eat bread or anything with flour ( maybe chestnut flour) without paying a heavy price in acid .

Refined white wheat flour is really bad.  It causes inflammation.  Awful stuff.

Have you tried buckwheat flour?  I make little pancakes with that for breakfast and have with an egg.  Sometimes I put raisins in and spread with butter.

Try having raw chicory on your salads as chicory contains inulin and so will help with your digestion :)

7 minutes ago, Old said:

You might call that ice cream, but not me.

Be aware of yellow snow, it is not lemon flavored ice cream.

Brown snow isn't chocolate either.

Edited by Naturale

29 minutes ago, Naturale said:

Try having raw chicory on your salads as chicory contains inulin and so will help with your digestion

It’s so rare for anyone I meetvto know what Inulin is.  For the reader( I’m sure that Naturale already knows) inulin is Not Insulin. Inulin is a form of plant feature similar to starch but not processed the same way in the human body ( so no blood sugar spikes). Jerusalem Artichokes are abundant in Inulin and cook up like potatoes. I very much enjoy these and the grow wild in my landscape. 

14 minutes ago, BenJepthah said:

It’s so rare for anyone I meetvto know what Inulin is.  For the reader( I’m sure that Naturale already knows) inulin is Not Insulin. Inulin is a form of plant feature similar to starch but not processed the same way in the human body ( so no blood sugar spikes). Jerusalem Artichokes are abundant in Inulin and cook up like potatoes. I very much enjoy these and the grow wild in my landscape. 

Jerusalem artichokes sounded like a good idea and was looking forward to trying them until I read the following:

The inulin cannot be broken down by the human digestive system[21] but it is metabolized by bacteria in the colon. This can cause flatulence and, in some cases, gastric pain. Gerard's Herbal, printed in 1621, quotes the English botanist John Goodyer on Jerusalem artichokes:

"which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men."

Is this so?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

23 minutes ago, Old said:

Jerusalem artichokes sounded like a good idea and was looking forward to trying them until I read the following:

The inulin cannot be broken down by the human digestive system[21] but it is metabolized by bacteria in the colon. This can cause flatulence and, in some cases, gastric pain. Gerard's Herbal, printed in 1621, quotes the English botanist John Goodyer on Jerusalem artichokes:

"which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men."

Is this so?

I haven’t found them to be all that bad. I read that quote years ago when I researched prior to eating for the first time. But ,I have never eaten them in large quantities.

7 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

....and yet... that seems to be all you want to eat,  especially since you don't want to cook anything. I am in amazement.. 😁

1 hour ago, Hope said:

....and yet... that seems to be all you want to eat,  especially since you don't want to cook anything. I am in amazement.. 😁

It’s the total opposite. When people find out I’m vegan they often want to make me a salad assuming that all vegans eat that. I never cared for it. There’s tons of raw food to eat besides salad.

Edited by Brother Jack

11 hours ago, Old said:

Is this so?

No!

6 hours ago, Thesauron said:

That’s not ice cream though. The three basic ingredients of ice cream is cream, eggs, and sugar.

Yes but the very first ice cream was made out of snow from Mount Etna

Edited by Naturale

12 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

Yes I love Jerusalem Artichokes in soup.  How wonderful that they grow wild there!  I would love to grow them but I haven't got the right kind of garden for it.  It is better to have them fresh from the ground to get the health benefits.

22 minutes ago, Naturale said:

I've never had pain from eating them. Eating too much inulin can cause some wind since the digestion process produces hydrogen and carbon dioxide etc.  But I don't eat too much at once so have no problem.  They are really good for you on so many levels.  They help lower bad cholesterol and are good for the heart as they help lower blood pressure and inflammation.  They also help prevent and control diabetes.  I looked up John Goodyer and see he was born in 1592 so he wouldn't have known all that.

18 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

I made a salad for the first time in my life today. I used spiralized cucumber, organic butter and romaine lettuce, chopped organic tomato, 3 chopped avocados and lemon juice from a squeezed lemon for dressing. It was actually good :eat:

Wow Jack, you have been missing out all this time!  Yes salad is good - very good for sure. I didn't know you hadn't had a proper salad before.  I make all sorts of variations - the combos are endless.  I like it in big bowls chopped up with a squeeze of lemon or lime and maybe a dash of good quality soya sauce and some cold pressed oil of some sort usually olive. I love chopped chicory and apple and watercress on top of a big pile of lettuce.  I quite like some quinoa mixed in or something like that maybe millet grain and some sunflower seeds or whatever.   I often add some chickpeas on or some beans of some sort.  Good to add lots of different fresh herbs too.

Salad is a dish consisting of a mixture of small pieces of food, usually vegetables. However, different varieties of salad may contain virtually any type of ready-to-eat food. Salads are typically served at room temperature or chilled, with notable exceptions such as south German potato salad which is served warm.

Garden salads use a base of leafy greens such as lettuce, arugula/rocket, kale or spinach; they are common enough that the word salad alone often refers specifically to garden salads. Other types include bean salad, tuna salad, fattoush, Greek salad (vegetable based, but without leafy greens), and sōmen salad (a noodle-based salad). The sauce used to flavor a salad is commonly called a salad dressing; most salad dressings are based on either a mixture of oil and vinegar or a fermented milk product like kefir.

I have many different types of salads.

One that I like is a simple mixture of tomatoes, celery and onions (preferably sweet onions, but Spanish onions will work) ... all chopped in edible size pieced - served with Italian dressing.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

3 hours ago, Naturale said:

I have found ( from traveling abroad) that a certain adjustment period is necessary to digest even familiar foods when grown in different soils. The local bacteria ( perfectly fine for digestion) is just different enough to need to colonize before full digestion of local plant based foods can be accomplished. But after a couple days there seems to be no great problem. I suspect this may be a factor for those first introduced to Jerusalem Artichokes.

9 minutes ago, Naturale said:

I often have some sauerkraut with cider vinegar on it on the side - always trying to improve the gut bacteria.  Any tips?

Kimchi.

Bonus points if you grow or source your own vegetables and make it yourself. :)