JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

1 minute ago, Musky said:

Don't really need screen shots, we'll take your word for it. :)

I'm not at my computer right now, but check out the Readme file that lists troubleshooting tips.

I did that too, but nothing jumped out at me.  I'm so frustrated that I can't even get the Print Screen option to work propertly.  I HATE this laptop.  I'm ready to fix it with a hammer right now.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

3 minutes ago, Musky said:

Did you try right clicking on the exe file and choosing "run as administrator"?

Yes.

Here is a screen shot from the Watchtower Library 2016 I've installed on my XP - these are all the files in the "E" folder under Watchtower Library - there are 18.  I don't think there are that many files in my Windows 10 "E" file though.  Can anyone confirm if all these files should be in the "e" file or not?

Screenprint of E Wtlib.doc

I'm done with this today, gotta clean up all of the hair I've pulled out.  Thanks for all your help everyone!  "Those who fight and run away, live to fight another day" - Victory will be mine!!!+

SCR005.jpg

1 hour ago, shali said:

Yes.

Here is a screen shot from the Watchtower Library 2016 I've installed on my XP - these are all the files in the "E" folder under Watchtower Library - there are 18.  I don't think there are that many files in my Windows 10 "E" file though.  Can anyone confirm if all these files should be in the "e" file or not?

Screenprint of E Wtlib.doc

The screen shot of my windows 10 PC is identical.

The WTLIBRARY.EXE file starts up WT Library when you double click on it.

Edited by WilliamChew

Well, that seems like a normal install. You have the extracted files in a folder with the same name as the zipped files (WTLIB2016E) Then when it installs the program, it creates the "Watchtower" folder in your program files folder and all of the program files are put in there, and, as you said, it also creates a program icon. So, that all sounds right. Did you uninstall the 2015 version, or is that also in the "Watchtower" program folder? If it is, it may be interfering with the new version, although it's not supposed to. 

brother what procedure did you use to accomplish completion?

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

23 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

SCR005.jpg

The screen shot of my windows 10 PC is identical.

The WTLIBRARY.EXE file starts up WT Library when you double click on it.

Thank you for confirming these files for me!  I am going to drag out my Windows 10 laptop and compare the files from my XP to the ones installed in Windows 10 and see how and if they differ.  Funny, I also checked the SystemFile.exe file in my XP and it had the same five files listed as "missing" as my Windows 10 did - but the XP program works just fine!

I need a break from all this for now, but will resume with a vengence when I'm ready!

Well, here is an update in my ever continuing saga trying to get WL 2016 to work on my Windows 10 laptop.  Andrej, being the self-sacrificing, caring brother that he is, kindly took over my computer remotely and to make a long story short - after 2 hours and trying just about everything he discovered that the program was hanging on a file called "splwow64.exe.  It's a printer spooler file.  So we shut down the Printer Spooler service and sure enough - WL 2016 opened up!  Problem is, I can't print from it.  I deleted all the drivers in my spooler/drivers/X64/3 folder and reinstalled my printer which is working from my laptop, but Watchtower Library still does not give me the ability to print, neither from the print icon or from the drop down list from the Library tab.  So this is where I'm at right now. 

Anyone have any suggestions for this current conundrum? LOL

Currently I'm restoring the drivers I deleted from the X64/3 folder back a few at a time to make sure nothing conflicts with the WL opening.  So far, none of the one's I've restored are giving me the ablity to print from WL.

32 minutes ago, shali said:

Currently I'm restoring the drivers I deleted from the X64/3 folder back a few at a time to make sure nothing conflicts with the WL opening.  So far, none of the one's I've restored are giving me the ablity to print from WL.

Do you have to reboot after each one is installed?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Well, all the drivers are back where they belong and my printer is reinstalled and every other program can print from my laptop now EXCEPT WLib!  The print icon and the print options in the Library tab menu are no longer grayed out.  When I click to print something it tells me it's printing - but it's not.  When the print dialog box comes up, it has the name of the right printer in the box.  So I'm getting one step closer with each thing i try but still falling short!  So close, yet so far away!

I have sometimes installed software (can't remember what) and it has installed a virtual printer driver. Maybe you could install one so you could 'print to file'. Subsequently printing the file.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_printer

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Here is a work-a-round.

I have never seen the need to print directly from WT Library. When I have found the material I want, I copy and paste it to a word prossesor. Would work for you. :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Shali, I just thought of something else to check. Go into settings and then devices and make sure the "Let Windows manage my default printer" switch is turned on. I worked on a client's Windows 10 system where this was off and some programs would print and others would not. Turning this on and rebooting solved the issue. Worth a try! 

2 hours ago, Musky said:

Shali, I just thought of something else to check. Go into settings and then devices and make sure the "Let Windows manage my default printer" switch is turned on. I worked on a client's Windows 10 system where this was off and some programs would print and others would not. Turning this on and rebooting solved the issue. Worth a try! 

I will be sure to check that out!  I was wondering if I needed to install x64 drivers to my printer to make it work for my WLibrary but since I can print from Microsoft Office 2003 on my Windows 10 laptop - I don't think that's the problem. 

Musky, do I go into "settings" and then "devices" on my laptop or the computer my printer is networked to?