JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

I'm not sure what was actually meant by that comment since I was not the one who made it ... I do hope that the comment does not chase away any of those on the Forum that have another language as their "native language". I thoroughly enjoy our worldwide brotherhood we have on this forum.

As to the WTLibrary, one of the users who had the English release made it available for d/l - if anyone has the release in any other language - please make that available for d/l.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

7 hours ago, ouzo said:

To be honest this comment makes me feel (and propably others that english is not their native language) little bit uncomfortable.

I'm sorry it made you feel uncomfortable, Pavlos, seeing that you are Greek. Please accept my apologies if my intent was misunderstood. I agree with Mike's comment:

4 hours ago, Mykyl said:

I think what was meant was that other languages for the dvd are perhaps more likely to be found there. Not that non English folks are not welcome here.

That well sums up what I really had in mind. Perhaps I could have worded it differently. 

Αγαπώ όλα τα αδέλφια μου, ακόμη και εσάς. (Όχι, δεν μιλάω ελληνικά.)

27 minutes ago, Sheep said:

I'm sorry it made you feel uncomfortable, Pavlos, seeing that you are Greek. Please accept my apologies if my intent was misunderstood. I agree with Mike's comment:

That well sums up what I really had in mind. Perhaps I could have worded it differently. 

Αγαπώ όλα τα αδέλφια μου, ακόμη και εσάς. (Όχι, δεν μιλάω ελληνικά.)

Lolll, nice greek! It's okay Eric! Don't even mention it, you already have my forgiveness!

I have downloaded the Watchtower 2016 file onto my XP and it opens just fine.  But I've tried it several times on my Windows 10 laptop and it won't open.  All I get is the opening graphic.  I have to close it via processes (delete the process) or it just stays on my screen forever.  Anyone else having this problem?  I used the download Rocket provided and the one Merkshine provided and there seems to be no difference, neither will open on Windows 10.  I've also tried the "run as administrator" checkbox with no results.  Anyone have any other suggestions?  The download showed 1372 files that were copied over to my Program Files/Watchtower folder. Is that how many it's supposed to have?

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Did the original "ZIP" file extract completely? If so, you should have one folder

rs_data

And five files:

Autorun.exe

autorun.inf

Readme.txt

Systeminfo.exe

WTLSetup.exe

Check and be sure ALL of these files are in the extracted folder along with the rs_>data folder. If any one of these is missing, the program won't install correctly.

Edited by Musky

6 minutes ago, Musky said:

Did the original "ZIP" file extract completely. If so, you should have one folder

rs_data

And five files:

Autorun.exe

autorun.inf

Readme.txt

Systeminfo.exe

WTLSetup.exe

Check and be sure ALL of these files are in the extracted folder along with the rs>data folder. If anyone of these is missing, the program won't install correctly.

Yes, all those files are in the extracted folder.  Now here is something I'm a bit unsure about that may be causing a problem??? I downloaded the .zip file into my "downloads" folder and then extracted it - it also extracted to my downloads fold under the name "WTLIB16E", which is the same name as the .zip file but now all the files are extracted in this other file.  Then from that file I click on the WTLIB setup file and it then copies everything to my"C/ProgramFile86x/Watchtower" file.  It puts the icon on my desktop to launch the file but when I click on the icon or go to the exact .exe file in the Program File folder to execute the file, nothing happens except the opening image.

Well, that seems like a normal install. You have the extracted files in a folder with the same name as the zipped files (WTLIB2016E) Then when it installs the program, it creates the "Watchtower" folder in your program files folder and all of the program files are put in there, and, as you said, it also creates a program icon. So, that all sounds right. Did you uninstall the 2015 version, or is that also in the "Watchtower" program folder? If it is, it may be interfering with the new version, although it's not supposed to. 

I had the Watchtower 2013 Library in the same install folder but I deleted everything in the folder (not uninstalled) before I installed the WTLIB2016.  I even checked my registry to see if there were any leftover registry files that were interfering and there is nothing.

You should have uninstalled it instead of just deleting the program folder. There are probably DLL (Dynamic link library) files that  the install puts in several locations and I think one of these "leftovers" could be interfering with the new program. Just a hunch.

See if you can go into control panel and "Programs and features" and see if you can still run the uninstall for the 2013 version. If not, you may have to reinstall in and then do a proper uninstall. 

Edited by Musky

The reason I deleted the files in the 2013 Library was because I couldn't uninstall the using any of my "uninstall" programs or the Windows uninstall.  SinceI only deleted them, I'll restore them from the Recycle bin and see if that makes a difference in whether I can open the program or not.

I just restored the 2013 files and it still won't open.  My CPU doesn't even register any activity when I open the 2016 library so something must be amiss with the application file - something is stopping it dead in it's tracks.

You could also try running the program in compatibility mode for a different Windows version, sometimes that works. Right click on the program file and choose "run this program in compatibility mode for say, Windows 7

See what happens

I'll redowload Merksines file (I was previously using Rocket's) , wipe all previous Watchtower Library's, restart my "chip challenged" laptop and give it another try!  If it doesn't work then I'll try the compatibility mode.  So odd that it worked for my 13 year old XP but not my 3 year old Windows 10!

1 minute ago, Musky said:

Your Windows 10 instalation is an upgrade from Windows 7 right? Try compatibility mode for 7, it's faster then doing the uninstall and reinstall

No, it was an upgrade from Windows 8. (Windows 8 was on the laptop when I bought it, then it went to 8.1 - then to 10.}