JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

Well, I went back and did my reading in this thread and found the manual update package file Jonathan 77 posted  but during the install I get a message that said "make sure you have no other instances of Watchtower Library open and try again".  Well, I don't have any other instances open and I've restarted the computer and tried again and still can't get it to install without that message.  (I'm on a XP desktop computer by the way).   Anyone have any solutions as to what my computer might be reading as a Watchtower Library file?  I've checked task manager and can't see any processes directly related to Watchtower Library that should cause a problem.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

54 minutes ago, shali said:

Tried updating my Watchtower LIbrary 2015 (build 6421) which updated to that build in July 2015 - but get the same old tired "No internet connection" message when I try to update.  Guess I'll have to file through 9 pages of this thread to see if anyone has a solution or if I should just wait till July to see if I can update again.

The new WTLIB resolves that problem. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

The new WTLIB resolves that problem. 

But from what I understand the new WLib isn't compatible with XP, or did I read some of these posts wrong?

1 minute ago, shali said:

But from what I understand the new WLib isn't compatible with XP, or did I read some of these posts wrong?

I haven't heard that but I haven't tried it either.  You could try it and see if it works, it won't affect your existing 2015 WTL program.

8 minutes ago, shali said:

Thank you!!!!  It's downloading now, taking a while (huge file!!)  Hope my old computer can take all that information at once! haha!

Be sure to document the install as it goes along. Once the smoke clears and you're cleaning up the fire retardant it will be too late to learn anything useful.

40 minutes ago, Musky said:

Be sure to document the install as it goes along. Once the smoke clears and you're cleaning up the fire retardant it will be too late to learn anything useful.

LOL!  Thanks for the advice!  Install went great (even I was surprised)  One question:  Someone said you don't have to uninstall Watchtower Library 2015 when you install 2016 - but it takes up a good amount of space.  Can you uninstall it without it affecting the 2016 Library?

Thanks, I kinda thought it would be alright since I didn't have any other previous versions of Watchtower Library on my computer except 2015, so I must of been uninstalling them as I installed new ones.  Never hurts to be sure though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Watchtower Library (v 18.0) Readme File
(c) Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, 2017
All rights reserved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:  It is not necessary to read this file in order to use Watchtower Library. All the instructions necessary for the normal use of Watchtower Library are included in Help. But this file may be useful if you have questions or problems regarding the installation of Watchtower Library, or you want language-specific information.

-------------------------------------
How to Use This File
-------------------------------------

To view the Readme file, use a text editor (such as Microsoft Notepad) and maximize the text editor window. If Notepad is used, go to the Format menu and then click Word Wrap. To print the Readme file, use the Print command on the File menu.

----------------------------------------------------
INSTALLATION TROUBLESHOOTING
----------------------------------------------------

Question:  What are the requirements for a computer to install and run Watchtower Library?
Answer:  The Watchtower Library system requirements are as follows: 
�	Pentium-compatible processor or higher
�	Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 (not Windows RT), Windows 10
�	48 MB RAM required for the application
�	1.5 GB free disk space on C drive
�	DVD-ROM drive
�	Mouse
�	Sound card, speakers, or headphones (optional, for the pronunciation feature if available)

Question:  Can I continue to use a previous version of Watchtower Library after I have installed this version?
Answer:  Yes. Previous versions of Watchtower Library can still be used even after installing this version. 

Question:  Will my favorites from my current edition of Watchtower Library be imported when I install the latest version of Watchtower Library?
Answer:  Yes, any favorites that exist in your current installation of Watchtower Library will be imported when you install the latest version of Watchtower Library. (Favorites are only imported on the initial installation.)

Question:  On Microsoft Windows 7 and Vista, after installing Watchtower Library and then removing a previous edition of Watchtower Library, the file association of favorite files with Watchtower Library is lost. Is there a way to associate my favorite files with Watchtower Library again?
Answer:  Yes. Start Watchtower Library with the option in Windows 7 (or Vista) to "run as administrator." Also, uninstalling and reinstalling the latest edition of Watchtower Library should reestablish the association of favorite files with Watchtower Library.

Question:  Where can I find my favorite files in order to make backup copies?
Answer:  The easiest way to locate the files is from the Explore Favorites option on the Watchtower Library Favorites menu. If this is not possible, browse to the default location such as C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Watchtower\Research Favorites. Watchtower Library favorite files have the file extension .wtfav.

Question:  What do I do if I get the Error #4 or "Invalid Format" message, or the Watchtower Library icon is a square box, when I am installing or running Watchtower Library?
Answer:  This indicates that the DVD-ROM drive is having difficulty reading the Watchtower Library DVD. Make sure there is no debris on the Watchtower Library DVD. To clean the DVD, wipe the back side (side without printing) of the DVD with a dry, clean, soft, lint-free cloth. Wipe from the center of the DVD toward the outer ring with straight spoke-like strokes. Do NOT use a circular motion. Handle the DVD by its outer edge only, while avoiding touching the side of the DVD without the label. Try to install again. 
If that does not solve the problem, try exchanging your Watchtower Library DVD with someone else. If your Watchtower Library DVD does not work on the other person�s computer, and his DVD does work on your computer, it is likely that the DVD is defective. If neither DVD works on your computer, it is possible that there is an issue with your computer. It is also possible that your DVD will work on his computer and his DVD will work on yours.

Question:  When I try to install Watchtower Library, I get an error message other than Error #4 or "Invalid Format," or it just will not install. What do I do?
Answer:  Most likely, there is a conflict with a program already loaded on your computer. Enable the Diagnostic startup option on the General tab of the System Configuration dialog box. Restart your computer. (For more information about how to start the System Configuration dialog box, press F1 for Help and search for System Configuration.) Restart the computer. Now try to install Watchtower Library again. If this resolves the problem, you will not need to enable the Diagnostic startup option in the future, unless you need to install Watchtower Library again.

Question:  If none of the above questions and answers solve my problem, what do I do?
Answer:  If you continue to have problems, please run the systeminfo.exe program located on the root level of the Watchtower Library DVD and print the results. Provide a brief written explanation of your problem along with the printed results to the brother handling literature in your congregation. He will then have your inquiry forwarded to the local branch office in the normal manner. When explaining the problem, be sure to include the specific error message or problem that you are having. Also, please include your name and address for needed correspondence.
NOTE: Systeminfo.exe is also located in the program directory where Watchtower Library was installed.

Question:  What files are installed on my hard disk by Watchtower Library? 
Answer:  To see a listing of the current files installed on your computer and their location, we recommend that you run the systeminfo.exe program located on the root level of the Watchtower Library DVD.

Question:  Once the install has started, can I remove the DVD from the drive?
Answer:  No, the DVD should not be removed during installation. The installation may take several minutes; therefore, do not terminate the installation before completion unless it is listed in the Windows Task Manager as �Not Responding.� The DVD can then be removed after you click the Finish button on the Watchtower Library Setup dialog box.

Question:  Can I install a language edition of Watchtower Library that is different from the language of the Windows operating system?
Answer:  Each language edition of Watchtower Library has been designed to run optimally on the same language operating system. Windows includes Unicode support that allows for better multilanguage display by providing language packs for languages other than the language of the operating system.
NOTE: The operating system user interface will be presented in the language of the operating system. This means, for example, that error messages that are generated from the operating system will be in the language of the operating system itself. Hence, it is possible that the user may encounter messages that do not correspond to the language version of Watchtower Library that he is currently using.

Question:  Can I install Watchtower Library on a network drive?
Answer:  No. No portion of the SOFTWARE or the DATA should be made available to those who have not agreed to the terms of the license agreement.

Question:  Can I run Watchtower Library directly from the DVD without installing?
Answer:  No. In order to run Watchtower Library successfully, you must go through the installation process.

Question:  Are there any special rights needed to install Watchtower Library?
Answer:  The installation requires Administrator rights on your computer. This gives the user read/write/change access to the registry and hard disk. To obtain information about changing your user rights, please refer to your operating system user�s manual or Help (F1). Searching for the keyword "rights" in Help may assist you to find the information quickly.

Question:  Are there any special rights needed to run Watchtower Library?
Answer:  Most users will by default have the necessary rights. To use the functionality of Favorites, the user must have read/write/change access to the "AppData" directory, which is usually stored in the profile directory. To obtain information about changing your user rights, please refer to your operating system user�s manual or Help (F1). Searching for the keyword "rights" in Help may assist you to find the information quickly.

Question:  What types of DVD-ROM drives are supported by Watchtower Library?
Answer:  Watchtower Library should run successfully on any DVD-ROM drive, including DVD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD-ROM drives.

Question:  Will Watchtower Library run on my portable computer?
Answer:  Yes, as long as the portable computer meets the Watchtower Library requirements.

Question:  Can I use Watchtower Library on my Apple Macintosh computer?
Answer:  There is no version of Watchtower Library designed for Apple Macintosh (Mac) computers. Some products for Apple Macintosh computers (such as emulators) claim to be able to run Windows programs. These products have not been tested with Watchtower Library, but some of them may work with Watchtower Library.

Question:  Will Watchtower Library run on the Linux operating system?
Answer:  There is no version of Watchtower Library designed for this operating system. Some products that can be added to Linux claim to be able to run Windows programs. However, even with such support, some features in Watchtower Library might not function correctly depending on the quality of the products.

------------------------
ACCESSIBILITY
------------------------

Question:  Why does my screen-reading product have trouble reading the text in Watchtower Library?
Answer:  Some of the techniques used by these applications rely on the text being displayed in a certain way. To change the way text is displayed in Watchtower Library so as to be more compatible with these types of programs, check the �Enable support for screen-reader products� box on the Text tab of Properties for Watchtower Library.

10 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Windows XT is not specifically mentioned in the list of operating systems.  If it installs OK, very good.  In some of the newer files (maybe graphics or audio), it may have a hiccup.  Time will tell.

It seems that  Shali could run the 2015 WTL fine on Windows XP and it has the same system requirements that the 2016 version has, Windows XP is not listed in the OS list for 2015 either. 

Edited by Musky