JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1406 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

9 hours ago, carlos said:

Surprisingly impartial and accurate.

That was a good read,  thanks for the link. .

There are a few things in the article that are not quite correct but  it's ok. 

A personal peeve of mine is the  'pacifist' label that some folks put on us...

We are not pacifists. ..

We are not pacifists. ..

Thanks for the reminder!

From g 97 5/8 pgs 22-23

The Bible's Viewpoint
Should Christians Be Pacifists?

Last paragraph :
True Christians love peace. They stay completely neutral in the world's military, political, and ethnic conflicts. But, strictly speaking, they are not pacifists. Why? Because they welcome God's war that will finally enforce his will on earth—a war that will settle the great issue of universal sovereignty and rid the earth of all enemies of peace once and for all.—Jeremiah 25:31-33; Daniel 2:44; Matthew 6:9, 10

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, tekmantwo said:

We are not pacifists. ..

Quite correct. If someone was hurting my wife all pacifism would go out the window along with the perpetrator.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

3 minutes ago, MentalProject said:

Quite correct. If someone was hurting my wife all pacifism would go out the window along with the perpetrator.

I understand that but at the same time I'm thinking  that would be a different scenario.  I'm thinking this would be more in line with a self defense case. There was a QFR or something on self defense a few years back,  it dealt with hunting and firearms use as well,  if I remember correctly.

And, I'm not arguing with you. ..I just would be more inclined to choose a section of wall, instead of a window. ..

23 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

Expert: ban "Jehovah's Witnesses" in Russia will reduce the number of their adherents

MOSCOW, May 17 - RIA Novosti.Authorities' decision to ban the activities of the organization in the Russian center "Jehovah's Witnesses", recognized as extremist, will lead to a sharp decrease in the number of its followers and protect their civil rights. This opinion was expressed on Wednesday at a meeting in the State Duma, the famous Russian sectologist, president of the Russian Association of Centers for Study of Religions and Sects (RATSIRS) Alexander Dvorkin.

https://ria.ru/religion/20170517/1494511149.html

What the expert is saying is that, when faced with difficult persecution, our brothers will quit. 

He is the actor taking the place of the religious leaders of Acts 8:1 - so excited to have struck a blow against Christianity, so convinced that will be the end of it:

"On that day great persecution arose against the congregation that was in Jerusalem; all except the apostles were scattered throughout the regions of Judea and Samaria....Saul, though, began to ravage the congregation. He would invade one house after another, dragging out both men and women and turning them over to prison. However, those who had been scattered went through the land declaring the good news of the word."

The religious leaders then, and the expert today, overlook that it is the pearl of great value we are speaking of, for which the finder sells everything he has to keep firm hold of it.

It is a battle for hearts being waged, not a battle of might. We will always lose the battle of might (unless Jehovah's puts his finger on the scale, it which case those on the opposite side fly head over heals into oblivion) but we will not lose the battle of honest hearts, any more than Christians lost in the the days of the Book of Acts.

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

23 hours ago, MentalProject said:

There is so much wrong with this article it's ridiculous. For instance:- 

According to Dvorkin, the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation, having initiated the initiative to liquidate the parent organization Jehovah's Witnesses, primarily pursued the goal of "protecting the civil rights of members of this organization." :confused:

What he is saying is that members of Jehovah's Witnesses are being manipulated. They are being brainwashed to what they do. It is an  old accusation, just worded a little differently.

By liquidating the Branch, he thinks he puts an end to this interference of their civil rights..

Edited by TrueTomHarley

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

What he is saying is that members of Jehovah's Witnesses are being manipulated. They are being brainwashed to what they do. It is an  old accusation, just worded a little differently.

By liquidating the Branch, he thinks he puts an end to this interference of their civil rights..

That's how I understand that.

He is saying that now our Brothers will be free to follow their heart, to find the best life for themselves,  to follow a way of life that is truly happy for them and their families. 

Where's that sarcasm button when I really want it?...

5 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Yes, apparently by declaring peace loving families, older folk and children criminals, refusing them the right to meet peacfully to read their bibles and pray together, taking their private property, opening them to physical attacks and verbal attacks, expulsion from schools and jobs and terms in prison for exercising their right to speak to their neighbours about their beliefs they are thus *cough* protecting their "civil rights"... Satan is a master at spin, but Jehovah is taking note and will repay in his due time.

Thanks for the info from the salt lake tribune. 

Jehovah will handle this. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Thanks for the info from the salt lake tribune. 
Jehovah will handle this. 

This is so annoying. Who in their right mind comes up with things like these? We are not violent and we will never be:

"Witnesses are working on Akhmedov's appeal and say that since the Russian Supreme Court decision, anti-Witness propaganda has spread in Kazakhstan. Recently a popular television channel there reported that Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia plan a bombing, and speculated that the same could happen in Kazakhstan, said Bekzat Smagulov, a Jehovah's Witness and spokesman on the Akhmedov case."

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

10 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

That's how I understand that.

He is saying that now our Brothers will be free to follow their heart, to find the best life for themselves,  to follow a way of life that is truly happy for them and their families. 

Where's that sarcasm button when I really want it?...

Three things, unheard of five years ago, are now as common as blades of grass: Fake News, the teen suicide craze, and the opioid epidemic. Russia must be experiencing equivalent woes. I know they are experiencing the second, because there is some online game - is it called Blue Whale? - that is making the rounds there. Others will know more about this than me, but it is said to romanticize suicide among youngsters. Here, there is a 'Thirteen Steps' or something TV show 'exploring' the option. Few persons today do not know of some teen who has committed suicide. It just happened to an elder's workmate, and as they were close team members, he traveled 500 miles to comfort the dad at the funeral.

"Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the days our forefathers fell asleep in death, all things are exactly as from Creation’s beginning." says 2 Peter 3:4
"The above items are just one (um….three) of those things," say such people.

The very latest in synthetic opioids is one so potent that you overdose in touching it.

Perhaps the best way to be truly happy today is to come to grips with the cause of such calamities, even if your explanation causes others to label you 'extremist.'

Edited by TrueTomHarley

4 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Appeal date has been set but I can't find the date. Maybe someone else can find it. 

https://jw-russia.org/news/17052212-166.html

I think it is June 13th. I hope someone can confirm if that is still correct.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I think it is June 13th. I hope someone can confirm if that is still correct.

The pre-coffee post I removed the other day was about that because that's when I thought it was. I removed my comment because apparently that was a spurious date.  I am confused .... I mean more than usual. 

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

On 5/4/2017 at 7:22 AM, Tbs77 said:

RUSSIA RELIGION NEWS

Jehovah's Witnesses' appeal to be heard in Supreme Court

Hearings in the Appellate College of the Supreme Court of the Russian federation on the appeal in the case of the "Administrative Center of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia" have been scheduled for 13 June 2017 at 11:40.

http://www2.stetson.edu/~psteeves/relnews/170502d.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This link still shows the appeal date is set for June 13th. Can anyone confirm if that is still the correct date?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D