JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1392 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

1 hour ago, nanceebgd46 said:

I've been holding my breath that things like this wouldn't start happening .  It's more than sad, what many are capable of.  

Have you ever wondered what the viewpoint of government officials truly is? I listened to Sean Hannity interview former Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice yesterday.  Of course, she believes the USA is a shining city on the top of the hill. However, apart from the US, she said "the world is a dark, ugly place".

I came across some images that are encouraging for our Brothers and Sisters.  I send my warmest regards to all!!!

TRUST.jpg

947572ce15896a1ff6323f3fe2ee3446.jpg

bfc3d064ef6c328c3bfae76eb72ea33b.jpg

~We were sent to preach not to judge~ 

~Be kind to one another because all of us are suffering one way or another. This is our refuge from oppression~

:) 

Since I am retired and do nothing but write, I am putting together a short Ebook (which gets longer all the time) on the Russian ban, the letter-writing campaign, and things leading up to it. This one will be a freebee, unlike the others I have written that are on my profile banner – ‘free’ is more in keeping with the spirit of things. They should all be free, but unfortunately, writing is my sole gig. It’s either that or Mickey D. for me.

En route to gathering material, I came across a book entitled Dissent on the Margins, which is about the history of our people in Russia, published in 2014. The author, Emily Baran, is not a Witness, nor a cheerleader for us, but she gets it right with regard to her facts - she relates them accurately and impartially. She has been quoted on jw.org. Her book has given me much context, preventing what might be some clumsy missteps, and I recommend it.

It’s pricey, but less so as an Ebook. And worth it, if you’re into history and non-biased commentary. Whereas my books are largely anecdotes and experiences, my ‘research’ mostly just nailing down the specifics of things or events I already know about, she actually has done the academic kind. Her book is heavily footnoted with materials both from Witnesses here and in Russia, as well as government archives.

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

The storm clouds are indeed gathering in Russia.  You can almost feel our enemies chomping at the bit, waiting with anticipation to get the June 13th appeal "out of the way" so they can let go of any restraint.  But I try and keep in mind the Jehovah's actions at the Red sea.   The fact that, with the Red sea behind them and Pharoah's army in front of them the Israelites were, in reality in no danger.  It has been said many times over in this thread, we must stand firm, we must not panic, Jehovah is in control.  The spiritual welfare (and that is what is the most important) of our Russian family is in good hands.  Of course it pains our hearts to see them suffering-  I'd walk to Russia in my bare feet  if the brothers thought it would help them -  but no matter what their losses, Jehovah will sustain them. 

What happens to one part of our spiritual family is happening to us all, we as a people must not fear.  

PSALMS 46:1
God is our refuge and strength, a help that is readily found in times of distress.

1 CHRON 29:12

The riches and the glory are from you, and you rule over everything, and in your hand there are power and mightiness,+ and your hand is able to make great and to give strength to all.

ISAIAH 41:10
Do not be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be anxious, for I am your God. I will fortify you, yes, I will  help  you, I will really hold on to you with my right hand of righteousness.

ZEPH 3:17
Jehovah your God is in your midst. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with great joy. He will become silent in his love. He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy.

EPHESIANS 3:20
Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive. 

2 THESS 2:16,17
Moreover, may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us+ and gave everlasting comfort and good hope+ by means of undeserved kindness, 17 comfort your hearts and make you firm"

Edited by sunshine

16 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

[...] I came across a book entitled Dissent on the Margins, which is about the history of our people in Russia, published in 2014. The author, Emily Baran, is not a Witness, nor a cheerleader for us, but she gets it right with regard to her facts - she relates them accurately and impartially. She has been quoted on jw.org. 

It’s pricey, but less so as an Ebook. And worth it, if you’re into history and non-biased commentary. [...] she actually has done the academic kind. Her book is heavily footnoted with materials both from Witnesses here and in Russia, as well as government archives.

Your comments regarding "Dissent on the Margins" piqued my interest so I took a look-see on Amazon.  I remained intrigued about her writing on this subject, but it was actually the lone comprehensive review of that book that retains my interest also. (The Amazon reviewer suggests that  the RF authorities perceive JW's stance (i.e., our adherence to Jehovah's laws and principles) as "political and not religious").  As a result, repression and persecution of the JW's continues in Russia. 

This ebook is definitely under my consideration.

52 minutes ago, Omo_Yeme said:

(i.e., our adherence to Jehovah's laws and principles) as "political and not religious").  As a result, repression and persecution of the JW's continues in Russia. 

She makes a good case for it. Opposition from Communist days was political. JWs promised a new system where there would be peace and prosperity. But that's what Communism proposed to do, so we were 'competing.' Too, they didn't like it that Bethel was in America. Present opposition is a mix of the former & jealousy of the head Church.

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

43 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

She makes a good case for it. Opposition from Communist days was political. JWs promised a new system where there would be peace and prosperity. But that's what Communism proposed to do, so we were 'competing.' Too, they didn't like it that Bethel was in America. Present opposition is a mix of the former & jealousy of the head Church.

Yes, they see it as political because that's the lens they look through.

Interestingly, in an odd way, they echo Jesus words at Luke 11:23 . . "Whoever is not on my side is against me".  

We don't think we are against them (rather, we're neutral).  But, through their looking glass, they believe we're against them.

7 hours ago, sunshine said:

The storm clouds are indeed gathering in Russia.  You can almost feel our enemies chomping at the bit, waiting with anticipation to get the June 13th appeal "out of the way" so they can let go of any restraint.

I thought they were doing that now. How is the pending appeal holding them back?

:confused:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

13 hours ago, Doug said:

Yes, they see it as political because that's the lens they look through.

I like how Jeremiah's course was also portrayed as political at one point. (Jer 37:14)

2000 Delegates from Russia are invited to the Russian Convention in Germany....
Jehovah is looking after our Brother's.....
They have the opportunity to take everything they heard back to their home congregation......
Jehovah will help them with their memory.....

They are invited to several conventions in Europe and Asia. This will be fine.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 hours ago, Samira said:

2000 Delegates from Russia are invited to the Russian Convention in Germany....

Jehovah is looking after our Brother's.....

They have the opportunity to take everything they heard back to their home congregation......

Jehovah will help them with their memory.....

6 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

They are invited to several conventions in Europe and Asia. This will be fine.

Johan

This of course is wonderful news to hear. Most certainly Jehovah takes care of His people. :D

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

Could you please tell me where you got the information about inviting brothers from Russia to some conventions?
I heard nothing about it.

The brothers in affected congregations will know.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”