JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WiFi, EMFs, Radiation

I don't know if there is already a thread somewhere about these but I couldn't find one.

I have been concerned about radiation ever since I started using these devises and especially when I read the studies that have proven that they are harmful.

I do what I can on a practical basis; keep my cell at least 3 feet away from me when not using it, use the speaker phone on a call, keep it turned out when near my body, turn the Wifi off at night; know I should do the router too but can't do it.

They are small measures I know but they can add up, and I am surprised when others don't seem to care about it or take any steps to protect themselves because they either believe the claims that they are harmless, or don't care about it.

Some never have their phone out of their hand or against their body somewhere, hand, head, hip..

Now that the Organization has begun using technology to a larger degree and encourages us to use it for meetings, Conventions and Service, I wonder if there really is anything to be alarmed about.

I mean, when we are at these gatherings the area has to be Saturated with radiation counting all the cell phones and tablets that most everyone brings with them. At Conventions we sit for many hours for days in a row. meetings also for hours twice a week and this added to our use at other times.

Does this mean that the GB does not think there is any harm from them or if they do, that the spiritual gain and putting our love for Jehovah first is worth the risk?

Does anyone besides me think these fears are warranted?

I've even thought if only at these times Jehovah would delete the radiation streaming through us even though we aren't aware of it.. that would really be cool...:D

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

47 minutes ago, Dove said:

I am surprised when others don't seem to care about it or take any steps to protect themselves because they either believe the claims that they are harmless, or don't care about it.

And then there are those who go to extremes to "protect" themselves because they either believe the claims that the dangers are real or dwell on things they can't control. :cool: 

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I personally feel that some people seems to be more susceptible to radiation than others. I see reports of illness allegedly from mobile cell phones, yet in our cong was a brother who is on cell phones and cell towers for his work with no diagnosed illnesses.
I also seem to think that the higher the frequency (microwave) and power (ie microwave v cell phone), is more penetrative than lower frequency like wifi, Bluetooth or 'walkie talkies'.
But 3 feet is a very safe distance for portable domestic appliances to dissipate any radiation.
Sorry I cannot point to any studies. For every study, if you look, you can find a counter-study.
'Moderation in all things' might apply here too.

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

10 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

'Moderation in all things' might apply here too.

...and a good aluminum foil hat...:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

35 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

I personally feel that some people seems to be more susceptible to radiation than others. I see reports of illness allegedly from mobile cell phones, yet in our cong was a brother who is on cell phones and cell towers for his work with no diagnosed illnesses.
I

This makes a certain amount of sense. Some people are more susceptible to allergens, etc...  Interesting thought 

Most of you know .... I work with headstones - well guess what? Granite emits radiation! In fact red granite emits more than black.

You can't get away from it - it's in nature it's all around us.

Can we limit it? Yes if we are over using products that are known for it - including microwaves.

The GB is not encouraging us to be glued to  our devices 24/7 - if we are that is our choice - so anything is okay in moderation ... if Jehovah sees fit to have it as part of his creation then there's a balanced place for it - there won't be a perfect balance of anything until the new system. 

I have no concern over these things at all ... all the tablets I take will have more of an effect before anything emitting radiation will. (Not counting any unforseeable war/weapons).

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

14 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Not counting any unforseeable war/weapons).

...or red kryptonite...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Dove said:

I have been concerned about radiation ever since I started using these devises and especially when I read the studies that have proven that they are harmful.

So far, no reputable peer-reviewed study has proven a cancer risk with cell phones or wi-fi. You can find legitimate studies here: https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet

Even in terms of raw numbers, these devices emit zero cancer-causing ionizing radiation. Realistically speaking, the dose you would theoretically receive from spending 24 hours with a dozen cell phones strapped to your head would be several orders of magnitude smaller than the actual measurable radiation dose you receive every single day from microwave ovens, granite countertops, smoke detectors, and even bananas.

There is probably more danger in getting ill from breathing our polluted air than with wifi and emfs.

Although Electromagnetic hypersensitivity is a real thing (though some do dismiss it).  With all the tablets, phones and other devices around, my friend has to sit in room away from the rest of the congregation at the meeting.  Otherwise she will get ill, skin will go blotchy, with a burning feeling, hair will became itchy and has even fallen out.   Assemblies have gotten to be very uncomfortable to a point she cannot go.

4 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

:offtopic:

7 hours ago, Precision said:

Image result for donuts funny

Donuts for dinner  ?

7 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Why you have to crack me up when I am eating ...? :eat:

They started it hatcheckgirl - please don't mod me - ohhh wait ...a minute ... i'm one of those ... oh as you were.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

There seems to be no need to be very concerned about regular use of WiFi products and exposure to such radiation. There is certainly no need to go extremist when it comes to this. Use common sense and moderation.

http://time.com/4508432/what-is-wifi-radiation-cancer/

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

7 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

Electromagnetic hypersensitivity is a real thing (though some do dismiss it). 

Yes, we have one such Brother in our Hall. He is not so sensitive that he cannot go about daily life and/or attend meetings.

However, he has to keep his distance from computer monitors and TV's. That is why ha cannot operate the sound at our Hall because it is too close to the Monitor at the console. However, he can carry the wireless mike.

He does not hold his cell phone to his ear to use it. If he cannot use the speaker phone, he just holds it away from his head. In his car, he uses the hands-free mode.

He does not tell others they shouldn't use theirs, he simply admits he has a sensitivity.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

8 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

Although Electromagnetic hypersensitivity is a real thing (though some do dismiss it).  

I met a person in the ministry back in the 90s that could not wear a digital watch because she had some issue that badly interacted with the electronics. I wonder if this was the problem. 

I've always been curious why those with sensitivity to EMF (electromagnetic fields) have serious reactions to small battery-operated devices with virtually no detectable EMF at all, yet they have no reactions whatsoever to the high voltage power lines running along every road, the power plants they drive past daily, and the power lines running within the walls of their home.

I'm not denying that the symptoms exist, but when an empty rubber cell phone case causes a more serious reaction than a running power plant with six active generators, I'm inclined to think that there may be some other cause.

26 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Perhaps it is physical distance that is the factor.  Yes they drive down the roads lined with high voltage lines, but they aren't touching or within an inch of those lines. 

Distance isn't the issue, a higher amperage will cause the EM field to grow well beyond the physical limits of the wires. A power line EM field can be easily measured from ~150 feet away, but the same level of EMF from a cell phone can only be detected on a scale of millimeters, and only while the cell antenna is active during a call.

If distance were the primary cause, it seems odd that an empty rubber cell phone can case cause symptoms to appear from 30 feet away, yet standing within inches of a running microwave (which puts out an EM field strong enough to disable a wifi router signal) causes no issues whatsoever.