JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WOL Showing Older Publications

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2111 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I get so confused between the JW.ORG Official site, WOL, JWLibrary, the Study Bible, some online, some offline. I understand online and offline, but Why do we need so many sites and is there really that much difference between them all?  Officially confused...

They have slightly different uses. The JW Library, for instance, is geared towards the meetings and our work in the field. The WT Library is geared towards research at home, and the Online Library gives you access to that info and more with just an internet connection.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I know the JWLibrary is an app on my cell phone and Ipad, and JW.ORG  is on all 3.

I think the one I don't understand is where is WT Library and is it an app or not. So WTLibrary and the Study Bible are separate? I have the Study Bible also on my devices so I know it's not an app and separate from JW.ORG.

Nancee, I'm asking for both of us........😃

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I know the JWLibrary is an app on my cell phone and Ipad, and JW.ORG  is on all 3.
I think the one I don't understand is where is WT Library and is it an app or not. So WTLibrary and the Study Bible are separate? I have the Study Bible also on my devices so I know it's not an app and separate from JW.ORG.

Nancee, I'm asking for both of us........

The study Bible is a publication found in various formats. It is found in the JW Library and in the WT Library. Both are, really, apps, but WT Library is exclusive to Windows whereas you can download JW Library to a number of devices and platforms, such as phones, computers, tablets, iOS, Windows, or Android. Back when WT Library was released, it was considered a program, but since then vocabulary has changed a bit, and it’s not wrong to call it an app, or application.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

The study Bible is a publication found in various formats. It is found in the JW Library and in the WT Library. Both are, really, apps, but WT Library is exclusive to Windows whereas you can download JW Library to a number of devices and platforms, such as phones, computers, tablets, iOS, Windows, or Android. Back when WT Library was released, it was considered a program, but since then vocabulary has changed a bit, and it’s not wrong to call it an app, or application.

That and the other posts help a lot. I'll remember the WT Library by relating the W to Windows...think I'll have to print all this until I'm able to remember..I have trouble even remembering which is the modem and which the router so I made a label for the modem.........😃

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

That and the other posts help a lot. I'll remember the WT Library by relating the W to Windows...think I'll have to print all this until I'm able to remember..I have trouble even remembering which is the modem and which the router so I made a label for the modem.........

Think of the Study Bible as a publication, like your songbook. It is available in print (large and small sizes), and you can also download it to JW Library, which is like a digital bookshelf that you can bring to the ministry and the meetings. Or just read in your sofa. You can also download the songbook to your Watchtower Library app on your Windows PC.

Now, the only difference is that the Study Bible is not available in print since it includes media, such as videos. So when someone speaks of the Study Bible, that is a publication that you can access digitally in a number of ways, including as a part of your WT Library or JW Library.

The JW.ORG and JW BROADCASTING as websites, portals on the Internet, to allow for a simple channel for the Slave to feed people hungry for truth about Jehovah.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 4/27/2018 at 6:12 AM, jwhess said:

In all of the indexes (indices?) for our publications, the Commentary on James is cited just twice (in the 30-85 index).  One is a QFR and one is a reference to its release.  In the newer index (86-17) the only statement is the date of publication.  So this is not a book we refer to at any time.  If you want to read it, I have a PDF copy available.

I think the discussion or concern you are referring to is in the QFR cited below.

*** dx86-17 Watch Tower Publications ***

·         1979, Choosing the Best Way of Life:

Commentary on the Letter of James:

*** dx30-85 Commentary on the Letter of James (Book) ***

COMMENTARY ON THE LETTER OF JAMES (Book)

·         question from readers regarding page 47 of book: w81 1/15 31

·         release: yb80 22

On the other hand: When searching the index itself for "cj" you will find many references to it.

Or maybe I didn't get you fully because my English is not the very best.

8 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Think of the Study Bible as a publication, like your songbook. It is available in print (large and small sizes), and you can also download it to JW Library, which is like a digital bookshelf that you can bring to the ministry and the meetings. Or just read in your sofa. You can also download the songbook to your Watchtower Library app on your Windows PC.

Now, the only difference is that the Study Bible is not available in print since it includes media, such as videos. So when someone speaks of the Study Bible, that is a publication that you can access digitally in a number of ways, including as a part of your WT Library or JW Library.

The JW.ORG and JW BROADCASTING as websites, portals on the Internet, to allow for a simple channel for the Slave to feed people hungry for truth about Jehovah.

9 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

I actually printed out the whole Study Bible and have it in a large 3 ring binder, but needless to say it is not as handy for research like clicking on a link, but sometimes I like to have  things in print just in case some day the Internet or wifi is down..

On 4/27/2018 at 9:15 AM, Jonathan77 said:

I don't think we need worry about the James book.  Very soon the Study Bible will have notes on James, and we can use that instead.  Although a new book covering James, Peter,  Jude and the letters of John would make a good spiritual meal of a book.  Maybe also add Timothy and Titus in there as well.

The commentary was very detailed. I studied it for three or four times, wrote all the comments in my study bible, and so I really love it. (So I was a bit shocked to find out it was removed online and offline.) I guess the study notes will not have so many information. 

One year ago I spoke to a special pioneer about this book. We knew that RF liked to pride himself as author of this book. So he told me that the book never emphasised our preaching work.  But we have to accept James itself didn't it as well.

The commentary was very detailed. I studied it for three or four times, wrote all the comments in my study bible, and so I really love it. (So I was a bit shocked to find out it was removed online and offline.) I guess the study notes will not have so many information. 

One year ago I spoke to a special pioneer about this book. We knew that RF liked to pride himself as author of this book. So he told me that the book never emphasised our preaching work.  But we have to accept James itself didn't it as well.
Who is RF? The james book is my husbands favourite

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, walkr2 said:

I love this because I had/collected bound volumes back to 1950! However, when I moved I had no room for them, so I donated them. It made me sad. 

I also have bound volumes going back to 1950... still! I just can't get rid of them. I want to keep them, even though I have them all on Watchtower Library and WOL. There's just something about turning pages... :crush:

1 hour ago, student said:

This is true.  Not everything is about the preaching work, so it can't be that reason why the James book was removed.

I think about the books of Proverbs, Ecclesiastes and the Song of Solomon.  These were written by a man, anointed by Jehovah, but who in the end, turned unfaithful.  But these books still ended up as part of the Bible.  

So with the James book.  Its not just because these were written by someone who later turned apostate.  He wasn't when it was written.  Other reasons must come into play.  It is almost 40 years old that book.  And has been part of Watchtower Library for 25 years.

28 minutes ago, Sheep said:

I also have bound volumes going back to 1950... still! I just can't get rid of them. I want to keep them, even though I have them all on Watchtower Library and WOL. There's just something about turning pages... :crush:

I agree..I like the feel of the hard copy in my hand.. the Codex.😊

Kindle turns pages but it's still not the same as the actual bound book...😄

Just now, Dove said:

A few months ago I thought...I’m going to start using my tablet.. 

after a couple weeks my service overseer comes up to me and says...I noticed your using your tablet...how ‘bout we take you off the Watchtower list. I kinda said sure. A week later I went back to the paper. I just gotta have that literature in my hand. I feel better bein* able to write on it. 

So I told the brother that gives us (my service group) about it and told him I still need the actual Watchtower. 

Sometimes its it’s impossible to change.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

3 hours ago, student said:

On the other hand: When searching the index itself for "cj" you will find many references to it.

Or maybe I didn't get you fully because my English is not the very best.

Br. Oliver, you are correct (in English or otherwise).  Searching with just the publication abbreviation [cj] you can find over 250-300 references listed.  Not all of the letters CJ mean the Commentary on James.  But all of these are limited to just the 1930-1985 index (except one KM from 2003).  Since the book is not available, you can't reference it anyway.  Thanks for the reminder.

2 hours ago, Loopy said:

A few months ago I thought...I’m going to start using my tablet.. 

after a couple weeks my service overseer comes up to me and says...I noticed your using your tablet...how ‘bout we take you off the Watchtower list. I kinda said sure. A week later I went back to the paper. I just gotta have that literature in my hand. I feel better bein* able to write on it. 

So I told the brother that gives us (my service group) about it and told him I still need the actual Watchtower. 

Something about new tricks I believe. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, Dove said:

I actually printed out the whole Study Bible and have it in a large 3 ring binder, but needless to say it is not as handy for research like clicking on a link, but sometimes I like to have  things in print just in case some day the Internet or wifi is down..

I am not exactly sure what you mean.  There are only 4 gospels completed at this point.  And how do you print the videos and such linked material?  The Bible text is just the 2013 RNWT Bible which is in print already.  Can you help me understand what it is that you did?

A few months ago I thought...I’m going to start using my tablet.
A week later I went back to the paper. I just gotta have that literature in my hand. I feel better bein* able to write on it. 

Just a reminder. There are different forms of WT. There is the one that comes with the app, and there are downloadable ones like 'epub' and 'pdf' ones.
It might be worth trying the pdf one on your tablet for a bit, before leaving the paper one. This worked for me.
I download the 'pdf' one. It is exactly like the printed one in page layout and picture spread.
I use a pdf reader that allows me to hightligh in colours, underline in different colours and styles and even write or type notes on the page.
This is a cross between hard copy and on a tablet, as it uses both. However, the 'epub' style and the free flowing text and picture format on the jw app take more time to adapt to.
Keep at it, and you will get the benefit of stepping over to the digital media.
Agape

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

I am not exactly sure what you mean.  There are only 4 gospels completed at this point.  And how do you print the videos and such linked material?  The Bible text is just the 2013 RNWT Bible which is in print already.  Can you help me understand what it is that you did?

i will double check that and get back to you. Maybe I'm confused with something else..it may have been the Highlights but it was quite a large volume. I just put it in boxes with other things and can't get to it right now..I was sure it had the word Study in it though...

2 hours ago, Dove said:

i will double check that and get back to you. Maybe I'm confused with something else..it may have been the Highlights but it was quite a large volume. I just put it in boxes with other things and can't get to it right now..I was sure it had the word Study in it though...

Perhaps you are thinking of the Research Guide for Jehovah’s Witnesses? Which is yet another study tool. You may have had a valid reason for printing that out, since it is a publication that is only made available digitally in English. I wouldn’t feel that printing out the study Bible would be particularly beneficial since many of its features only work digitally (videos, animations etc.)

Yes! Thank you, I think that's it. But now that I'm thinking about it, I remember also printing all the Highlights but not sure what year they were for...

17 hours ago, Dove said:

I get so confused between the JW.ORG Official site, WOL, JWLibrary, the Study Bible, some online, some offline. I understand online and offline, but Why do we need so many sites and is there really that much difference between them all?  Officially confused...😔

Sandra, it's basically the same information accessed in different ways, depending on what's more convenient. You don't need to use or master all of them, just use the one that you like the most.

15 hours ago, Dove said:

I have made a PDF of not whole study bible, but of the Study Notes.  It also includes the pictures from the media section.  Each gospel is about 64 pages.  I've printed them out and keep them in a folder.

14 hours ago, Dove said:

I wonder if the Christians of the 1st century had the same dilemmas:

-"I like the way the organization uses the technology, like this new thing that called 'codex' but I can't part with roles. The sense to uncurl them is unique"! 😁

2 hours ago, ouzo said:

I wonder if the Christians of the 1st century had the same dilemmas:

-"I like the way the organization uses the technology, like this new thing that called 'codex' but I can't part with roles. The sense to uncurl them is unique"! 😁

How about giving up the clay tablets for "papyrus" sheets in scrolls.  Much to fragile, what if they tear at the meetings (you know how children are)....☺️

Edited by jwhess

3 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

I have made a PDF of not whole study bible, but of the Study Notes.  It also includes the pictures from the media section.  Each gospel is about 64 pages.  I've printed them out and keep them in a folder.

Br Jonathan,  that's a great idea. Its so easy in WT Library to copy and paste the study Notes. The pictures have notes too, very helpful for Bible Highlights, woops, I mean Digging for Spiritual Gems. 

1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."