JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WOL Showing Older Publications

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2111 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

53 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Right back at you ...

Now see there, you're even starting to sound like us...I totally understood that. ...

54 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

or something like that. 

Nice job, you are coming along nicely. 

Ye may needeth to throweth some 'y'alls' and 'all y'alls' into said witticisms forthwith but fear thee not, assistance is readily available and ....Oh, I dunno,  something like that. .

11 hours ago, carlos said:

I didn't expect the brothers to make all those publications available online. :)

11 hours ago, carlos said:

I have tried everything to have the Watchtower Library on my phone. All kinds of emulators... now ... there's isn't much need for that any more. :ecstatic:

Maybe that's why they did it haha. Honestly, it's probably a constantly requested thing - WT Library for smart devices (not that windows mobile thing) AND/OR equalizing the WOL and WTL.

Now... when will the WTL be downloadable on the JW Library app? :confused::D

(P.S. Bethel, I really want all the video transcripts in one of the libraries.. thnx bye. :P )

Edited by 1MKnight

Correct me if I’m wrong but I seem to recall there was a something about the Commentary on James that concerned the GB. I recall it was written back during the mid 70s when Ray Franz was on the GB...that’s all I know but it could be why the book was avoided. Seems at that time the idea that many previously wrong things were now considered a conscience matter. That was as I understand, a big thing with ray franz.

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

1 hour ago, Pjdriver said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I seem to recall there was a something about the Commentary on James that concerned the GB. I recall it was written back during the mid 70s when Ray Franz was on the GB...that’s all I know but it could be why the book was avoided. Seems at that time the idea that many previously wrong things were now considered a conscience matter. That was as I understand, a big thing with ray franz.

In all of the indexes (indices?) for our publications, the Commentary on James is cited just twice (in the 30-85 index).  One is a QFR and one is a reference to its release.  In the newer index (86-17) the only statement is the date of publication.  So this is not a book we refer to at any time.  If you want to read it, I have a PDF copy available.

I think the discussion or concern you are referring to is in the QFR cited below.

*** dx86-17 Watch Tower Publications ***

·         1979, Choosing the Best Way of Life:

Commentary on the Letter of James:

*** dx30-85 Commentary on the Letter of James (Book) ***

COMMENTARY ON THE LETTER OF JAMES (Book)

·         question from readers regarding page 47 of book: w81 1/15 31

·         release: yb80 22

32 minutes ago, jwhess said:

In all of the indexes (indices?) for our publications, the Commentary on James is cited just twice (in the 30-85 index).  One is a QFR and one is a reference to its release.  In the newer index (86-17) the only statement is the date of publication.  So this is not a book we refer to at any time.  If you want to read it, I have a PDF copy available.

I think the discussion or concern you are referring to is in the QFR cited below.

Choosing the Best Way of Life is a commentary on the books of Peter, not the letter of James. Both books are still available in WTL.

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

I don't think we need worry about the James book.  Very soon the Study Bible will have notes on James, and we can use that instead.  Although a new book covering James, Peter,  Jude and the letters of John would make a good spiritual meal of a book.  Maybe also add Timothy and Titus in there as well.

6 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

Maybe also add Timothy and Titus in there as well.

Yeah, I just started doing research on TItus for a talk. I didn't realize how little information we have about him/the letter to him. 

9 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

Choosing the Best Way of Life is a commentary on the books of Peter, not the letter of James. Both books are still available in WTL.

Sr. Terri, I am sorry the paste feature did not quite show the "column" effect when I pasted.  I simply copied the way it was written in our index.  For the year 1979 there were two books released.  Alphabetically they are listed as "Choosing Best Way of Life" then "Commentary on James".  I did not want to change the actual picture by eliminating the first one listed. So I showed them both.  If you look, the "Commentary" is shown under the "Best Way" listing.  Sorry for any confusion, it is just how the Society printed them.

You are correct in stating that this publication is in the WTL but as noted by others, it is not in the new WOL.

12 hours ago, jwhess said:

And we can all read that QFR now :ecstatic:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1981052

Questions From Readers

● The Commentary on the Letter of James, on page 47, states: “Besides being the God of Christians, Jehovah is also their Father, for he has begotten them by means of his spirit to be his sons.” And the question on page 57 relating to this reads: “How is God also the Father to Christians?” Does this mean that all dedicated and baptized Christians have been begotten by God’s holy spirit to be his sons?

I had heard from the elder that coordinates literature for our 2 congregations (shared hall) that instructions were all surplus copies of Commentary were to be destroyed /pulped. 

Edited by Shawnster

7 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

I am among those happy few who can get lost for hours in the Similar Material tab, thereby expanding my understanding of various spiritual subjects.

The same for me Brother.  I have to discipline myself when studying for the WT, CLAM or personal Bible reading.  I love the WOL for studying  and when I come upon another article that can lead in another different direction I have to write down the name and reference and go back to it later after I have finished the  particular lesson I am studying.  And, then I can get 'lost' in the WT CD ROM.  I have literally spent days doing research.........so self discipline is important for me to accomplish one thing at a time.  Then there is field service, meetings, husband, house, etc that has to be done too.  Very little time for TV or other readings.  I appreciate all the spiritual food I have  -  what a banquet!  

3 hours ago, Shawnster said:

I had heard from the elder that coordinates literature for our 2 congregations (shared hall) that instructions were all surplus copies of Commentary were to be destroyed /pulped. 

That is correct Br. Shawn.  Here is the note about some of the books.

LIST OF PUBLICATIONS APPROVED FOR DISCARD  [S-60-E 2/18]

Any book published before 1985 except the following: “All Scripture Is Inspired

of God and Beneficial” (si), Comprehensive Concordance of the New World

Translation of the Holy Scriptures (cn),

Display then discard. 

There are a couple of pages in what we often refer to as the “shred and destroy” list.

Edited by jwhess

I have to confess to being a bookaholic and have great trouble in disposing of such.  Unfortunately (fortunately) I live in a dolls house on a postage stamp and have very little room for many books. When I moved here I had to get rid of my entire WT and Awake collection of volumes which made me very sad as I am old enough to enjoy researching more from books than electronically.  I did hang on to my smaller books and have a number of the societies old books including one of the 'Light' books and one or two of the Vindication books as well as a number of others.  Sadly they are packed away in a box but every so often I get them out and enjoy their feel and smell and the style of writing. 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

1 hour ago, Old said:

The latest update to WatchtowerLibrary (today) deletes the Commentary on James book. 

So fascinating.  I thought that book was incredible when we were studying it... it's one of the few (sorry) that really stand out in my mind from 30 years ago.  Same with "Choosing the Best Way of Life"... which is also on the "pay no mind" list, isn't it?  :( 

Also the Watchtower Library update brings back the Greatest Man book.   And the OD book is there as well.  Both of these books are on the Online Library as well since it updated.  I guess both are now in sync.

As for the Choosing book, its still there, so nothing wrong with it.  It was just the James book that had to be removed.

1 hour ago, Jonathan77 said:

Also the Watchtower Library update brings back the Greatest Man book.   And the OD book is there as well.  Both of these books are on the Online Library as well since it updated.  I guess both are now in sync.

As for the Choosing book, its still there, so nothing wrong with it.  It was just the James book that had to be removed.

Why did the James book have to be removed?

11 minutes ago, leoperales said:

Why did the James book have to be removed?

"Had to be removed" is probably a poor choice of words. It was removed under the direction of the FS.

The chief writer of the book, Ray Franz, was asked to leave Bethel and was disfellowshipped shortly thereafter. He became apostate. Later the book itself was not received well by those that knew the background story and it was not referenced by many publications as a source of information on the book of James. Outside of studying it after it's release I have never felt a need to consult it again. Just assume it is outdated but feel free to read it if you so desire. It may contain a lot of good information but the FS has decided we don't need it in our library.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.