JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Prisoners of conscience - Russia

I noticed in this video interview with Robert Hendrik (which I posted in the Our Campaign is in the News thread) that he said EVERY government official worldwide was being written to during the God's Kingdom campaign this month...which means I guess that Russian officials will be written to as well.

https://blacknewschannel.com/jehovahs-witnesses-initiate-global-campaign-reaching-elected-officials-businesses/

It will be interesting to see what effect these letters and the magazine have on officials in lots of places but especially in Russia etc 

Some minds are like concrete ...all mixed up and permanently set! 😁

Heard on the grapvine via our group overseer's wife who is normally very well informed that  reports from Russia say that one of their prosecutors became very uncomfortable with locking up our brothers and protested to the authorities about the fact that they were locking up innocent men and women - in the end he resigned his position in protest and is now supposed to be having a study

I can't vouch for the authenticity of this experience but thought I'd share 

Edited by Julie

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, cricket246 said:

Which talk by brother Losch are you talking about ^_^ someone else mentioned it to me but I wasn't sure if it was one I missed :( 

I think they're referring to GB Update #8 which can be viewed on JW.ORG  https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/LatestVideos/docid-702020465_1_VIDEO

• 4 weeks later...

JW.ORG Update

Another brother - Anatoliy Tokarev loses his appeal and is fined over $6,000 :-

"NEWS ALERT | Russian Court Denies Brother Anatoliy Tokarev’s Appeal

On January 14, 2021, the Kirov Regional Court denied the appeal of Brother Anatoliy Tokarev. His original sentence, a fine of 500,000 rubles ($6,834 U.S.), will now be enforced."

What happens? Do the bros help such a one pay the fine if they can't find the sum themselves?

On 1/15/2021 at 2:49 PM, Julie said:

JW.ORG Update

Another brother - Anatoliy Tokarev loses his appeal and is fined over $6,000 :-

"NEWS ALERT | Russian Court Denies Brother Anatoliy Tokarev’s Appeal

On January 14, 2021, the Kirov Regional Court denied the appeal of Brother Anatoliy Tokarev. His original sentence, a fine of 500,000 rubles ($6,834 U.S.), will now be enforced."

What happens? Do the bros help such a one pay the fine if they can't find the sum themselves?

Good question, one I've wondered about I must admit. Not sure we'll ever have it made public though. 🤔

I can't see many brothers in Russia having that kind of money to pay such high fines.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:02 AM, friendlyone said:

Good question, one I've wondered about I must admit. Not sure we'll ever have it made public though. 🤔

I can't see many brothers in Russia having that kind of money to pay such high fines.

Yes, this too I’ve been wondering. Maybe it’s a case of family members or congregation members assisting? One of those things we won’t know until we meet someone in that situation I guess. 

• 3 weeks later...

Russia detains Jehovah’s WItnesses and searches property in new criminal case.

https://kfgo.com/2021/02/10/russia-detains-jehovahs-witnesses-searches-properties-in-new-criminal-case/

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian law enforcement detained a number of Jehovah's Witnesses and conducted searches at 16 different addresses in Moscow on Wednesday as part of a new criminal investigation against the group, state investigators said.

2 hours ago, Lewis said:

Russia detains Jehovah’s WItnesses and searches property in new criminal case.

https://kfgo.com/2021/02/10/russia-detains-jehovahs-witnesses-searches-properties-in-new-criminal-case/

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian law enforcement detained a number of Jehovah's Witnesses and conducted searches at 16 different addresses in Moscow on Wednesday as part of a new criminal investigation against the group, state investigators said.

A similar news report is on JW.org now https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/#newsAlerts

So sad :no:

NEWS ALERT | Brother Dennis Christensen Denied Parole

On February 10, 2021, the Kursk Regional Court denied Brother Dennis Christensen’s request for early release. He had asked the court to replace the remainder of his prison term with a fine. Dennis has qualified for parole for over a year, yet his requests continue to be denied.

Recently, Dennis wrote to his wife, Irina. He shared one of his favorite Scriptures: “So let us not give up in doing what is fine, for in due time we will reap if we do not tire out.” (Galatians 6:9) He stated his certainty that Jehovah will reward them if they continue to do good, help others, and not give up. He also expressed that he wants to leave prison even stronger spiritually than when his sentence began.

Dennis has been in prison and separated from Irina since May 2017—almost four years. Dennis and Irina continue to be examples to us as they display trust in Jehovah, inner peace, and unflagging determination to remain loyal.—Philippians 1:14.

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

The Russians seem to be increasing the number of attacks on our brothers there.

I'd have thought it made more sense for them to issue a fine and let Dennis go. They seem to like their money, and they'd save by not having to 'house' him in prison.

All very sad and totally unjust. ☹️

In an interview with NGR, the director of the Sova Center for News and Analysis and member of the Council for the Development of Civil Society and Human Rights under the Russian president, Alexander Verkhovsky, declared that it is impossible to understand the logic of these punishments. "Criminal cases against Jehovah's Witnesses have been going on in a continuous stream since 2018," the expert recalled. "They started then, and now they are gradually reaching verdicts. The process goes slowly. In the past year, by our reckoning, 46 persons were convicted. That's a lot. It's likely that no single campaign of persecution has unfolded with such rapidity recently. Now the punishments are gradually becoming more severe. Originally we all were very impressed with the sentence of 6 years for Dennis Christensen, but that was a clear exception, untypical for that time. But now, look, both 6.5 years and 7.5! In different regions. And there is no logic for why here it is suspended and there it is real time, here a lot, and there a little." "It seems to me that it depends on some personal attitudes of a local prosecutor or judge and also the F.S.B., which is involved in all of this," Verkhovsky noted. "The ban of the Jehovah's Witnesses is essentially illegal, since it is based on the fact that they distribute their brochures which are forbidden because they affirm the superiority of their faith and of the followers of the teaching. But this is the generally accepted opinion among believing people, that it is their faith that is most true and that it is not clear how it could ever enter anyone's mind to persecute anyone for this," the expert concluded. (tr. by PDS, posted 17 February 2021)

Source: https://www2.stetson.edu/religious-news/210216d.html

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

19 hours ago, Lewis said:

Anyone heard of this website? https://www.forum18.org

As far as I see, this is a not for profit organization that fights for freedom of religion around the world and reports on cases that are happening on this site. Many reports are cases against our brothers in Russia and many other countries listed there.

This is not new. It's been around for a while.

Forum 18 is a Norwegian human rights organization that promotes religious freedom. The organization's name is based on Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Forum 18 summarizes the article as:

The right to believe, to worship and witness
The right to change one's belief or religion
The right to join together and express one's belief

The Forum 18 News Service, established by Forum 18 in 2003, is a Christian web and e-mail initiative to report on threats and actions against the religious freedom of all people, whatever their religious affiliation, in an objective, truthful and timely manner. The news service mainly concentrates on the states of the former Soviet Union, including Belarus and Central Asia, and Eastern Europe, but has also published reports on Kosovo, Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey, Burma, China (including Xinjiang), Laos, Mongolia, North Korea, and Vietnam.

(Wikipedia)

Articles from the site have been quoted or referenced many times on JWTalk.

The Russian Foreign Ministry Claims That Jehovah's Witnesses Have the Right to Practice Their Religion in Groups. Why Then Are There Dozens of Believers in prison?

"There is an obvious conflict between the law and law enforcement practices, and it is no surprise that in January 2021, following his last meeting with the Human Rights Council, President Putin instructed the Supreme Court to look into violations of legislation on freedom of conscience, religious beliefs, and religious associations.” Human rights activist Aleksandr Verkhovskiy drew the President's attention to the fact that the problem is not being solved. He said: "We miss the Supreme Court's explanations on these issues. This is especially true with respect to those banned organizations which had some religious aspect. It turns out that these people afterward when they gather to pray together, which is mandatory in all major religions, joint prayers, will also turn out to be a meeting of a banned organization, and so maybe understood."

Russian human rights organizations, as well as the international community, consider the criminal prosecution of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia unlawful.

The hypocrisy of this tweet is breathtaking! 

I've replied asking them what about the case of Sister Valentina Baranovskaya, who at almost 70 years of age has been locked up for her faith despite suffering a stroke last July!

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/russia/Russian-Court-Sentences-Brother-Roman-Baranovskiy-and-His-Elderly-Mother-Sister-Valentina-Baranovskaya-to-Prison/

4 hours ago, Julie said:

I've replied asking them what about the case of Sister Valentina Baranovskaya, who at almost 70 years of age has been locked up for her faith despite suffering a stroke last July!

https://ru.usembassy.gov/religious-freedom-concerns-in-russia/

FEBRUARY 25, 2021

We are disturbed by reports that a Russian court sentenced Valentina Baranovskaya and her son, Roman Baranovsky, to terms of two and six years in a Russian penal colony, respectively, simply for being practicing Jehovah’s Witnesses. The sentencing of Valentina, a 69-year-old stroke victim, is particularly cruel. It also marks the first time a Russian court has sentenced a female Jehovah’s Witness.

The decision by the Russian court is the latest development in an ongoing crackdown on members of religious minority groups in Russia. Since the Russian Supreme Court designated the Jehovah’s Witnesses an “extremist” organization in 2017, 52 Jehovah’s Witnesses have been imprisoned for exercising their beliefs, including Alexandr Ivshin, who was recently given a record-length 7.5 year sentence for a Jehovah’s Witness by a Russian court.

We urge Russia to lift its ban on Jehovah’s Witnesses and to respect the right of all to exercise their freedom of thought, conscience, and religion or belief.

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-religion-jehovahs-witnesses-persecution-1571980

the bipartisan United States Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) tweeted: "Today Valentina Baranovskaya, an elderly woman in poor health, became the first female #JehovahsWitness sentenced to prison in #Russia. This marks a new low in Russia's brutal campaign against religious freedom."

Edited by Sofia

Russian press reports American defense of Jehovah's Witnesses

U.S.A. CALLS ON RUSSIA TO CANCEL BAN ON JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES' ACTIVITY

Source: Interfax-Religiia, 26 February 2021  (russian)
Translation:

The government of the U.S.A. is concerned by a court's sentence in Khakassia issued to two members of the sect of Jehovah's Witnesses (an extremist organization banned in Russia) and it calls for rescinding the prohibition on the activity of this organization in the country.

"We are concerned by reports that a Russian court sentenced Valentina Baranovskaia and her son Roman Baranovsky to two and six years incarceration in a Russian prison colony of strict regime, respectively," a report by a representative of the State Department, Ned Price, says.

He noted that since the Russian Supreme Court ruled the Jehovah's Witnesses to be an extremist organization in 2017, 52 adherents of the sect have been confined to prison.

"We call Russia to cancel the ban on the activity of Jehovah's Witnesses and to respect the right of everyone to freedom of thought, conscience, religion, or convictions," Price declared.

On 20 April 2017, the Russian Supreme Court, on the basis of a lawsuit of the Russian Ministry of Justice, ruled the Russian Jehovah's Witnesses to be an extremist organization, and it forbade its activity on the territory of the R.F. In the intervening period, law enforcement agencies have suppressed dozens of affiliates of the movement in practically all regions of the country. Criminal cases against JWs have been opened and on the basis of conclusions of their investigation they have received various punishments, including fines and suspended and real-time prison terms.

Edited by Sofia

The Supreme Court of the Russian Federation was given a second order to explain why believers are being illegally persecuted

https://jw-ru.blogspot.com/2021/02/blog-post_14.html#more

Following the meeting of the Council for the Development of Civil Society and Human Rights, the Administration of the President of the Russian Federation was issued instructions on certain issues. One of these instructions concerns the application and implementation of legislation on freedom of conscience and religion. 

Recommend to the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation:

a) taking into account the previously given instructions, prepare explanations based on the results of the generalization of judicial practice in cases related to violations of the legislation on freedom of conscience, freedom of religion and religious associations.

Deadline - June 1, 2021.

Responsible: V.M. Lebedev;

b) analyze, together with the Prosecutor General's Office of the Russian Federation, the practice of applying Article 280 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation ("Public calls for extremist activities") and consider the possibility of introducing an administrative prejudice under this article.

Report - by June 1, 2021

Responsible: V.M. Lebedev, I.V. Krasnov;

c) consider, together with the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation, the issue of the advisability of creating a Russian court for human rights and submit, if necessary, appropriate proposals.

Deadline - June 1, 2021.

Responsible: Lebedev V.M., Chuichenko K.A .;

http://www.sclj.ru/ (source - in russian)

I asked the following question a couple of years ago, but no one seemed to know the answer:

What happened to the European Court of Human Rights' involvement in the Russian ban and persecution? Back in 2017, the ECHR was treating that situation as top priority. But since then, it seems to have disappeared from their radar. Anybody know anything about that?

48 minutes ago, Sheep said:

I asked the following question a couple of years ago, but no one seemed to know the answer:

What happened to the European Court of Human Rights' involvement in the Russian ban and persecution? Back in 2017, the ECHR was treating that situation as top priority. But since then, it seems to have disappeared from their radar. Anybody know anything about that?

They have condemned this back in October 2020

do you want me to search it and post it here? 😉😉😉😉

Rússia gives no regard to ECHR....