JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"No ammount of alcohol safe to drink, global study confirms"

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2020 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

So in the news they have announced that "no ammount of alcohol at all is safe to drink" and that the risks outweigh the benefits, you can't even have a sip.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45283401

However these reports are always back and forth, only about a month ago they were saying the opposit.

For years drinking wine in moderation has been shown to be a benefit to many people in various natural and tradtional diets.

For me, the scriptures come into account as it speaks positive things about drinking alchohol in many places, so long as one does not over drink. And I doubt Jehovah would say such things if it was such poison to the extent these studies are claiming.

However a second thought came to mind is "modern alchohol vs ancient alchohol". Today they say it's much stronger than ancient alchohol was, so perhaps the manufacturing proccess of modern alchohol is to blame is this study is accurate?

Edited by EccentricM

1 minute ago, Saffron said:

Must be because I was not thinking about alcohol at all before this. Lol

I’ve never had rum. Your post makes me want to try it..🙃

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

The way I see it, the same could probably be said of any of the processed foods we tend to eat on a regular basis. I wouldn't recommend regular alcohol consumption, like on a daily basis or anything, but even if a food or beverage you consume is a little toxic, the liver is an amazing organ, which can regularly cleanse the toxins we put in our bodies as long we take care of it. The liver can handle a little alcohol here and there very easily, so long as you're healthy.

Doesn't surprise me .... you can make a study and/or statistics say almost anything you want.

In the past I have heard or read that

• coffee is bad
  • alcohol is good
  • butter is bad
  • margarine is good
  • white sugar is bad
  • coffee is good
  • alcohol is bad
  • margarine is bad
  • butter is good
  • butter is bad
  • cooking oil is bad
  • chocolate is bad
  • white sugar is good
  • coffee is bad
  • cooking oil is good
  • butter is good
  • chocolate is good
  • coffee is good

so, now I should be surprised to hear that alcohol is bad again? :nope:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, Saffron said:

I'm getting thirsty for a rum and diet coke. 😂

I've recently tried an Irish Whiskey and diet Sprite that was very good...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

Doesn't surprise me .... you can make a study and/or statistics say almost anything you want.

• coffee is bad
  • alcohol is good
  • butter is bad
  • margarine is good
  • white sugar is bad
  • coffee is good
  • alcohol is bad
  • margarine is bad
  • butter is good
  • butter is bad
  • cooking oil is bad
  • chocolate is bad
  • white sugar is good
  • coffee is bad
  • cooking oil is good
  • butter is good
  • chocolate is good
  • coffee is good

I love your post..  this is how I feel about as well ... this system has “new ideas” every 15 minutes .. hard to believe in anything they publish 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

52 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

I love your post..  this is how I feel about as well ... this system has “new ideas” every 15 minutes .. hard to believe in anything they publish 

Me too.  Good to see you back, how is vacation going?

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

2 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Agreed!!! It's so frustrating. I've got to the point that I eat anything that is natural and not processed in my main diet - anything else is a rare treat.

So natural sugars in small amounts. So stuff that are disguised as 'food' is off my menu ... and food that encourages my digestion naturally is on my menu. Processed 'food' cuts down on the digestion process your body undergoes, thereby using less calories to digest it. 

Nice to see you posting again Greg KNEW our donuts were better!

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

7 hours ago, Shawnster said:

5.000 years of history indicates otherwise. 

I wonder what was behind /financed this research 

2 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

Yep. Dig deeper. Whose money came up with this brilliant assumption?

Well, I tried looking up for counter arguments or debunks, but I only found one source from the Daily Star who had an article from others saying it was a load of rubbish, however those articles were funded by alcohol companies, which would be biased into saying that so, I wasn't sure I could trust that either.

• 3 weeks later...

As a winemaker, I say make your own alcohol, then you know what is going in to it. (if it is legal where you live) (In the US it is legal to make 100 gals for one adult in the house, up to 200 gals for more than one adult in the house. (US Gallons))

Do not drink water any longer, but take a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent cases of sickness. (1Timothy 5:23)

I have some stomach issues, and um...as of now, frequent cases of sickness. :D

Edited by Gary910

7 hours ago, Gary910 said:

winemaker, I say make your own alcohol, then you know what is going in to it. (if it is legal where you live) (In the US it is legal to make 100 gals for one adult in the house, up to 200 gals for more than one adult in the house. (US Gallons))

What a fascinating hobby! How did you learn how to do this?

9 hours ago, Gary910 said:

As a winemaker, I say make your own alcohol, then you know what is going in to it.

Do you crush your own grapes? Where do you get them?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• coffee is bad
  • alcohol is good
  • butter is bad
  • margarine is good
  • white sugar is bad
  • coffee is good
  • alcohol is bad
  • margarine is bad
  • butter is good
  • butter is bad
  • cooking oil is bad
  • chocolate is bad
  • white sugar is good
  • coffee is bad
  • cooking oil is good
  • butter is good
  • chocolate is good
  • coffee is good

The truth is that all of them are good or bad depending on certain variables. This type of chocolate might be good in this situation, while this or that type might be bad in certain situations. Statistics and studies are good. You just need to learn how to understand them. Using them the wrong way is bad.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

9 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

The truth is that all of them are good or bad depending on certain variables. This type of chocolate might be good in this situation, while this or that type might be bad in certain situations. Statistics and studies are good. You just need to learn how to understand them. Using them the wrong way is bad.

Thats true. Statistics show that 5 out of 4 people believe statics may be incorrect...:whistling:

I had one daughter take statistics in school. One of the things she learned is that statistics can be made to give the result you want

Let me illustrate:

10 people are asked do you prefer item A or Item B?

Here are their answers

1. A
  2. B
  3. B
  4. B
  5. B
  6. A
  7. A
  8. A
  9. A
  10. A

At first glance you would conclude that item A is the prefered item - after all, 6 out of 10 prefer item A

However, these same results can also be used to show that 4 out of 5 prefer item B

So, it doesn't really matter what the actual result may be, a clever person can get the result they predicted/wanted/theorized/guessed/aimed for

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~