JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Does anyone know how our Hebrew speaking brothers and sisters pronounce God’s name?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2048 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

16 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

I’ve been wondering about this for quite some time. Can someone please help me out?

They wouldn't know. For one, modern Hebrew is very different to ancient Hebrew. It had basically died out when it had a revival in the early 1900's (similar to Welsh). The guy who resurrected the language had to painstakingly dissect ancient literature to create a dictionary. But due to a lack of written vowels in the language it wasn't very easy to figure out the original pronunciation. 

You can read a little bit about it here: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revival_of_the_Hebrew_language

Which also explains the problem with the pronunciation of God's name. Due to a lack of written vowels (they would still be pronounced but nobody would actually write them.. imagine the English pronunciation "Jehovah" only being written in English as: Jhvh) in ancient Hebrew coupled with the Jewish superstition that God's name should no longer be uttered (That happened when ancient Hebrew was still alive and kicking) the correct pronunciation got lost over time. 

So even modern Hebrews wouldn't really know the correct way of pronouncing it - If they knew, we could finally lay this discussion with people who insist that it was probably a different pronunciation to rest 😀

Not sure if this is what you're looking for; I looked at this video on the jworg website (Hebrew) and listened carefully how they pronounced God's name in their modern language.  Take a look here: https://www.jw.org/he/עדי-יהוה/אסיפות/סרטון-אולם-מלכות/

Edited by Omoyeme

2 hours ago, Omoyeme said:

Not sure if this is what you're looking for; I looked at this video on the jworg website (Hebrew) and listened carefully how they pronounced God's name in their modern language.  Take a look here: https://www.jw.org/he/עדי-יהוה/אסיפות/סרטון-אולם-מלכות/

I thought this was a clever idea until I clicked on the link 😛 How can I find Jehovah written here in Hebrew? 

The video is full of language I cannot understand.

Screenshot_20180904-075446.png

Edited by Mac_Tky

Forgot to add a sentence. Added now.

Hebrews 10:25 …. encouraging one another...even more as you see the day drawing near.

6 minutes ago, Mac_Tky said:

The video is full of language I cannot understand

Actually I was wrong. Jehovah is the only word I did understand on the video !!

In fact in modern Hebrew Jehovah is pronounced similar to the way our German brothers pronounce the divine name. As we know the German language pronounce the J similar to the Y in English. 

That is pronounced as Yehova. ( @Samira )

Hebrews 10:25 …. encouraging one another...even more as you see the day drawing near.

6 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

I’ve been wondering about this for quite some time. Can someone please help me out?

Sorry when I read your question it was 3 am in the morning and I couldn't sleep because of a banging cold.. must have misconstrued your question for "do they know how to pronounce it originally".. 🙂

8 hours ago, Mac_Tky said:

I thought this was a clever idea until I clicked on the link 😛 How can I find Jehovah written here in Hebrew? 

The video is full of language I cannot understand.

Screenshot_20180904-075446.png

At second 17/18 you can hear "eday Yehovah" (Jehovah's witnesses) 

6 hours ago, thegreenjudy said:

Sorry when I read your question it was 3 am in the morning and I couldn't sleep because of a banging cold.. must have misconstrued your question for "do they know how to pronounce it originally".. 🙂

Sorry about your lack of sleep. 3am is my usual waking time. I too cannot usually sleep. 3-6 hours each night. So I do sympathise with you. Last night was 5 hours sleep. 

To try and  answer your question: 

I do have a friend in Germany who says he can speak ancient Hebrew. But as already stated previously, we know that the Hebrews wrote out words without the vowels. As we don't know what the vowels were I am not sure that he can correctly speak ancient Hebrew. 

I think if we wait until the new world we will all learn how to correctly spell pronounce the divine name. 

Some are of the opinion that we will speak Hebrew in the New World. Time will tell but my question (for which there is no answer) would be if that be the case, would it be modern Hebrew, 2nd Temple Hebrew or 1st Temple (ancient) Hebrew. The appendix in your Bible shows the difference in the text. Maybe there will be a New World Hebrew.

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/study-bible/appendix-a/tetragrammaton-divine-name/

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

On 9/4/2018 at 5:04 AM, Omoyeme said:

I’m always surprised the audio timeline doesn’t run from right to left.

Just me then.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

5 minutes ago, 1MKnight said:

It seems to me as Yeo-vah,
thanks for the source btw :)

Edited by Kristian

On 9/7/2018 at 3:28 PM, 1MKnight said:

Yehovah. 

There are the diacritics for "e", "o" and "a"

On this forum here there was a topic that gave a link to a 39min or so video by a Jew (I'm assuming he spoke 'Hebrew'), with a lot of investigation and supposition to the pronunciation.
Also on the 2 vowel v 3 vowel arguments. It was called Das Namme Gottes. The narration was in English.
It made me more confident in the direction given to us by the F&DS, because I cannot work it all out. They have the necessary spiritual insight to direct us correctly. Different peoples have differing motives for their beliefs.
We have the truth.
I will go and see the topic where I came across this video. If I find it I will try post a link for you...

Older {waiting for wiser}