JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Lose weight

Due to health issues I need urgently to loose weight :)

The problem is that I don't have enough time and at my work I'm seated all day long. The only exercise I do is when I go preaching and that can hardly be called exercise as I walk slowly 

On the other hand I don't eat many fat foods, just grilled meat and fish (except once a week :p) - My suspicion is that I have something wrong with my metabolism because I'm always hungry :s

Anyway I have 1.85m of height and my weight is 113Kg - It's not much but I need to loose 20Kg

Any suggestions on proven ways of loosing that weight without not much exercise and not abstaining from food 😏

Thanks

I was asked to take skimmed butter milk. 

Pappya. (fruit) 

For one month, I ate greens (spinach) with boiled vegetables and rice.

Strictly no oil. 

And I lost about 4 kgs in a month. 

You can eat cucumber carrot etc when feeling hungry. 

The problem is you must carry them daily and not feel ashamed. 

Cycling helped me a lot. Pls try. 

Half n hour daily. 

20 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Any suggestions on proven ways of loosing that weight without not much exercise and not abstaining from food

Don't eat anything after 6.30 PM ...allows better metabolism till morning.

Cut down on bread dramatically (carbs turn into sugar) Oats for breakfast as often as possible. (What do you eat for breakfast?)

Cut down on sugar about 101 % LOL (Yes drink tea and coffee without sugar - you can get used to it)

Don't even dream about donuts!

Try to do at least some walking.....steps ..steps ..more steps!

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I've lost weight 2 ways. The quickest way is to put your body in ketosis. It's is not good for you or your organs or your long term health, but it is quick! .
The healthiest way is to see a dietician, and get them to make a plan for you.
Most of them balance your carbs and protein (basically 'calorie' (kj) counting). While you are limited as to how much calories per day, usually there is less restrictions on vegetables...

Most good dieticians can give you some good recepies to give you tasty meals and nice variety.

All the best!

Older {waiting for wiser}

46 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

Don't eat anything after 6.30 PM ...allows better metabolism till morning.

Cut down on bread dramatically (carbs turn into sugar) Oats for breakfast as often as possible. (What do you eat for breakfast?)

Cut down on sugar about 101 % LOL (Yes drink tea and coffee without sugar - you can get used to it)

Don't even dream about donuts!

Try to do at least some walking.....steps ..steps ..more steps!

Cutting down on bread seems to be the most difficult action as it is the best thing I like to eat at breakfast (with butter). I eat it with milk and coffee

Cutting down on sugar is not a problem as I already don't eat much of it (no cakes, or donuts or the like)

Basically being hungry seems to be the problem because I don't eat just a bit of anything but always a lot...

25 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

I've lost weight 2 ways. The quickest way is to put your body in ketosis. It's is not good for you or your organs or your long term health, but it is quick! .
The healthiest way is to see a dietician, and get them to make a plan for you.
Most of them balance your carbs and protein (basically 'calorie' (kj) counting). While you are limited as to how much calories per day, usually there is less restrictions on vegetables...

Most good dieticians can give you some good recepies to give you tasty meals and nice variety.

All the best!

Older {waiting for wiser} emoji1353.png

That Ketosis reference made me wonder and research... I'm immediately interested in pursuing it :) --> https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/ketosis

Have you tried personally or know anyone who did?

1 hour ago, jayrtom said:

Cutting down on bread seems to be the most difficult action as it is the best thing I like to eat at breakfast (with butter). I eat it with milk and coffee

Cutting down on sugar is not a problem as I already don't eat much of it (no cakes, or donuts or the like)

Basically being hungry seems to be the problem because I don't eat just a bit of anything but always a lot...

That Ketosis reference made me wonder and research... I'm immediately interested in pursuing it :) --> https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/ketosis

Have you tried personally or know anyone who did?

There is a powerful Facebook group that supports and has amazing keto diet results. Not a JW group, but a local sister introduced me to it.. she's lost over 100 lbs.  I want to do it but I've been lazy about starting.  You will find everything you need there, if you're interested. The before/ after photos are inspirational. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ketogenicdieters/

Screenshot_20181127-054737.png

I can introduce you to the group if you're interested  😊

3 hours ago, jayrtom said:

my metabolism because I'm always hungry :s

My mom use to say there are two types of hungry, mouth hungry and stomach hungry. Sometimes we eat because we want to, not because we need to.

Start with the basics:

Drink lots of water.

Set a time to eat each meal and stick to the schedule

Plan each meal ahead of time.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Sorry, I had to do the conversion

6 feet tall and 249 pounds

OK ... you are doing better than me - I am a little shorter and weigh more and I also need to lose weight.

When I was young I could eat as much as I wanted and never gain a pound. In fact, that was the problem. I was too light weight and needed to gain and never could. I cannot pinpoint exactly when this changed but, it really is hard to retrain your eating habits. Not to mention that, as you get older, it seems like it is harder to lose those pounds.

I have found that drinking a glass of water about 30 minutes before a meal cuts down on how much I feel like eating. As to being hungry "all the time" - have you tried chewing gum?

The other comments in this thread are very good ideas. Whatever you decide, I hope it works!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, Hope said:

Screenshot_20181127-054737.pngI can introduce you to the group if you're interested  😊

Please do, I'm interested :)

43 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Sorry, I had to do the conversion

6 feet tall and 249 pounds

OK ... you are doing better than me - I am a little shorter and weigh more and I also need to lose weight.

When I was young I could eat as much as I wanted and never gain a pound. In fact, that was the problem. I was too light weight and needed to gain and never could. I cannot pinpoint exactly when this changed but, it really is hard to retrain your eating habits. Not to mention that, as you get older, it seems like it is harder to lose those pounds.

I have found that drinking a glass of water about 30 minutes before a meal cuts down on how much I feel like eating. As to being hungry "all the time" - have you tried chewing gum?

The other comments in this thread are very good ideas. Whatever you decide, I hope it works!

Yours is exactly my situation. I used to be so thin that my schoolmates called me walking skeleton...

I'm inlined to try the ketogenesis diet as sometime ago, due to stress full situations, I stoped eating as much as I should (used to) and in a couple of weeks I lost 3Kg... So I know that stopping to eat works... Its just to difficult to do it willingfully.... 

If you use a smaller plate it makes cutting portion size easier - when you put smaller portions on a full sized dinner plate it looks so "skimpy" we tend to add more food ... after all, we like our plate to "look full"

With the smaller plate - the plate still looks full - but we have a better portion size.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Cut out sugary things - simple carbs convert quickly to sugar.

The more sugar you have in your system the hungrier you feel.

Adults can get oral thrush overgrowth ( a yeast like fungus we all have ) from mild to extreme.

This can also cause you to crave certain foods that contain sugar/simple carbs.

Forgot to add. Chew your food well. This helps reset your hunger switch.

Edited by pnutts

added line

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

20 minutes ago, Qapla said:

If you use a smaller plate it makes cutting portion size easier - when you put smaller portions on a full sized dinner plate it looks so "skimpy" we tend to add more food ... after all, we like our plate to "look full"

With the smaller plate - the plate still looks full - but we have a better portion size.

That's a very good suggestion! :)

19 minutes ago, Qapla said:

That's a very good suggestion :)

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Forgot that one....:)

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

If you need to quickly lose weight without exercise, I definitely recommend a ketogenic diet. You think you can't give up bread, but you can. There are alternatives for everything once you get going. Your appetite will be greatly reduced and you will have very few cravings. 

8 minutes ago, Saffron said:

If you need to quickly lose weight without exercise, I definitely recommend a ketogenic diet. You think you can't give up bread, but you can. There are alternatives for everything once you get going. Your appetite will be greatly reduced and you will have very few cravings. 

Agreed.  My biggest obstacle is the amount of food prep that is required.  I am no good at that sort of organization and I don't really cook that much anymore... :(  

7 minutes ago, Hope said:

Agreed.  My biggest obstacle is the amount of food prep that is required.  I am no good at that sort of organization and I don't really cook that much anymore... :(  

I didn't know you followed this diet too. Good. The more, the merrier. 😁

I am so busy right now that I don't have time for cooking, so I do almost all of my meal prep in one day. I try to keep it simple.. boil a carton of eggs, fry a bunch of hamburger- use half for taco salad and the other half for big mac salads. Everything I cook, I try to use it for multiple things. Lazy keto. 😊

12 hours ago, Hope said:

@jayrtom - I have requested you be added to the group.  I think you will enjoy the information, coaching and support you will find there.  I need to get my fat head around the idea of being more disciplined in order to do this, myself.   I look forward to seeing you there!  :)

Thanks a lot!

9 hours ago, Saffron said:

I'm looking forward to be able to not desire bread :) 

18 hours ago, Saffron said:

I didn't know you followed this diet too. Good. The more, the merrier. 😁

I am so busy right now that I don't have time for cooking, so I do almost all of my meal prep in one day. I try to keep it simple.. boil a carton of eggs, fry a bunch of hamburger- use half for taco salad and the other half for big mac salads. Everything I cook, I try to use it for multiple things. Lazy keto. 😊

I *don't* follow this diet... I just follow the FB page and say to myself, "I really need to follow this diet!"  :P

Yours is a good method, tho... I need to try that..