JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Lose weight

Drink plenty of water through the day as the body confuses dehydration with hunger.  You may feel hungry when actually you are thirsty.  Make sure to eat natural fats regularly, oily fish, nuts and seeds, avocados etc.  Natural fats enable us to feel satiated and are necessary for so many things, omega 3's are essential for normal brain function.   Don't stop having carbs whatever you do  - it is dangerous.  Good to include things such as organic brown rice. quinoa etc.   Include big piles of raw veg in your diet.  I chop  up all sorts of things in a big bowl - celery, broccoli, lettuce, chicory. cucumber, tomato etc etc  often with a simple dressing of lemon, a dash of soy and good quality olive oil (buy one in a dark bottle and keep in a cool dark place with lid tight)  I usually eat my salad with a big baked potato.  Include plenty of pulses in your diet, easy enough to include them in soups.  Eat lots of very dark leafy greens as if you get short of magnesium you will feel rubbish and will likely crave sweet things more.  Yes and give up/minimise refined sugar.

There are a lot of reasons why a low carb diet isn't a good one for health.  Heart disease and certain cancers have been proven to increase as well as kidney problems.  Low carbohydrate levels cause blood sugar levels to drop and the body begins breaking down fat to use as energy. Ketosis is actually a mild form of ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis mostly affects people with type 1 diabetes. It is the leading cause of death of people with diabetes who are under 24 years of age.  

The healthiest people eat carbs, the Japanese for eg who have a diet high in grains live long lives and there is very low obesity, low heart disease and strokes.  They eat whole unprocessed foods, loads of vegetables and are active too.

Edited by Naturale

I can say from personal experience that eating massive bowls of salad is delicious and there are so many variations you can make. I quite like to put a chopped apple into it or a pear.   It is so filling and can be quite an effort chomping through it all but you will be suprised how good you will feel and how your energy levels will increase dramatically.  I always have a hot baked potato with mine.  I always add some chopped fresh herbs as well :)

Edited by Naturale

2 hours ago, Saffron said:

Would you mind elaborating on this? 

Another consequence of keto-related weight changes can be a loss of muscle mass, says Kristen Kizer, RD, a nutritionist at Houston Methodist Medical Center especially if you’re eating much more fat than protein. “You’ll lose weight, but it might actually be a lot of muscle,” she says, “and because muscle burns more calories than fat, that will affect your metabolism.”

When a person goes off the ketogenic diet and regains much of their original weight, it’s often not in the same proportions, says Kizer: Instead of regaining lean muscle, you’re likely to regain fat. “Now you’re back to your starting weight, but you no longer have the muscle mass to burn the calories that you did before,” she says. “That can have lasting effects on your resting metabolic rate, and on your weight long-term.”

Edited by Naturale

1 hour ago, Naturale said:

There are a lot of reasons why a low carb diet isn't a good one for health.  Heart disease and certain cancers have been proven to increase as well as kidney problems.  Low carbohydrate levels cause blood sugar levels to drop and the body begins breaking down fat to use as energy. Ketosis is actually a mild form of ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis mostly affects people with type 1 diabetes. It is the leading cause of death of people with diabetes who are under 24 years of age.  

The healthiest people eat carbs, the Japanese for eg who have a diet high in grains live long lives and there is very low obesity, low heart disease and strokes.  They eat whole unprocessed foods, loads of vegetables and are active too.

Hi Susanna

I think you're making the confusion between Ketosis and ketoacidosis that is described on this, very instructional, page:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/ketosis

There are many misconceptions about ketosis. The most common is mixing it up with ketoacidosis – a rare and dangerous medical condition that mostly happen to people with type 1 diabetes if they don’t take insulin.

Even some health care professionals tend to mix up these two situations somewhat, perhaps due to the similar names and a lack of knowledge about the distinct differences.

Ketosis and ketoacidosis are not the same thing.

Ketosis is a 100% natural state, under full control by the body. It can be caused by a low-carb diet or by a brief period of fasting.

Ketoacidosis is a severe malfunction of the body, with excessive and unregulated production of ketones. This leads to symptoms like nausea, vomiting and stomach pain followed by confusion and finally coma. It requires urgent medical treatment, as it can potentially be fatal.

5[

15 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Hi Susanna

I think you're making the confusion between Ketosis and ketoacidosis that is described on this, very instructional, page:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/ketosis

Hiya, yes but the problem is that Ketogenic diets like low carbohydrate, high fat may induce ketoacidosis in some people.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322881.php

A large study concludes that a low intake of carbs raises the risk of premature mortality, as well as mortality from several chronic illnesses. Therefore, scientists urge dieters to avoid low-carb diets.

Low carb consumers were 51 percent more likely to die from coronary heart disease, 50 percent more likely to die from cerebrovascular disease, and 35 percent more likely to die of cancer

Sorry I can’t/won’t put my trust this medical system. One minute they say to O no don’t do this because it’s bad for whatever reason. Than they turn around and say completely the opposite. Just like any studies humans do. Same thing, can’t believe what they say. One minute o no don’t use butter you have to use margarine. Now its completely the opposite.

In the past I have been eating a high carb/high sugar which turns into sugar type of life, which has led to pre-diabetic, high chloresteral and trigs. And obesity.

I know we are not talking about going “crazy” with limiting carbs. I’m just trying to make a point.

For a month now I have completely changed to a different “lifestyle” of eating. For one thing I’m happier. ****I’m definitely loosing inches**** 😁😁😁😁😁

I’m not going crazy about limiting carbs. And maybe if a person doesn’t that might be better, but too each his/her own. 

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

I can say from personal experience that eating massive bowls of salad is delicious and there are so many variations you can make. I quite like to put a chopped apple into it or a pear.   It is so filling and can be quite an effort chomping through it all but you will be suprised how good you will feel and how your energy levels will increase dramatically.  I always have a hot baked potato with mine.  I always add some chopped fresh herbs as well :)

I love salads. I just have to be careful cause I do get tired of them if I try to have one every day. 😁

And I just found a way to conveniently bring salads to conventions and assemblies. Woo Hoo!!!

Another consequence of keto-related weight changes can be a loss of muscle mass, says Kristen Kizer, RD, a nutritionist at Houston Methodist Medical Center especially if you’re eating much more fat than protein. “You’ll lose weight, but it might actually be a lot of muscle,” she says, “and because muscle burns more calories than fat, that will affect your metabolism.”

When a person goes off the ketogenic diet and regains much of their original weight, it’s often not in the same proportions, says Kizer: Instead of regaining lean muscle, you’re likely to regain fat. “Now you’re back to your starting weight, but you no longer have the muscle mass to burn the calories that you did before,” she says. “That can have lasting effects on your resting metabolic rate, and on your weight long-term.”

Keto is not a “diet”. It’s a lifestyle change. In other words, it’s a life long better way of living. 

On 11/29/2018 at 7:44 AM, Naturale said:

Include big piles of raw veg in your diet.  I chop  up all sorts of things in a big bowl - celery, broccoli, lettuce, chicory. cucumber, tomato etc etc  often with a simple dressing of lemon, a dash of soy and good quality olive oil (buy one in a dark bottle and keep in a cool dark place with lid tight)  I usually eat my salad with a big baked potato.  Include plenty of pulses in your diet, easy enough to include them in soups.  Eat lots of very dark leafy greens as if you get short of magnesium you will feel rubbish and will likely crave sweet things more.  

After this last outbreak of E. Coli with the lettuces, I got an email that brought out what they think caused it, and it made me realize that it is not going to change anytime soon, and more people are going to get sick and possibly die for the very same reason.

It's basically the water that the farmers use to irrigate their crops with. Water that has been contaminated by the feces of animals in streams that find their way into the water used for irrigation. 

There is not a law forcing the farmers to test this irrigation water and it's very expensive to do , so they are refusing. Some companies say they do test  and it's safe, but they are some of the same ones that produced the contaminated crops this last time around.

I always buy organic and soak my raw vegetables in acv with a little powdered vitamin C in the water for dirt, pesticides, germs, bugs, et, but this doesn't  kill e. coli .

I have an autoimmune disorder plus in one of the categories at more risk, elderly, so I think for now I'm going to abstain from raw food. 

(I've yet to look into food that may have been contaminated before canning and how that works)

Why Romaine Lettuce and Spinach Keep Trying To Kill Us, and What We Can Do About It.html

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

1 hour ago, Loopy said:

Sorry I can’t/won’t put my trust this medical system. One minute they say to O no don’t do this because it’s bad for whatever reason. Than they turn around and say completely the opposite.

I will not either. They drive me crazy with this. 

All that I can tell you is that there is a big difference between diabetic ketoacidosis and nutritional ketosis. One can kill you, one will make you healthy in many ways, but everyone can do their research.

Weight is not the only reason I live this lifestyle; I have also found that it helps with my mental health. I am more clear headed and have extra energy. I'm less hungry. It helps with the inflammation in my body and I am able to manage multiple physical health problems (such as rheumatoid arthritis) effectively. 

13 minutes ago, Saffron said:

Weight is not the only reason I live this lifestyle; I have also found that it helps with my mental health. I am more clear headed and have extra energy. I'm less hungry. It helps with the inflammation in my body and I am able to manage multiple physical health problems (such as rheumatoid arthritis) effectively. 

Same here. I've found food always affects me mentally as well as physically in a negative way if it's not the right kind. Our blood and lymph can only be made up from what we take into our bodies. Then that blood has to go through our brain..same as drugs and alcohol do..and build up or tear down our insides. It's old and a cliche, but a truism that 'we are, can only be, what we eat'.

(Not including our way of life, stress, environment, situations out of our control, but for this thread, just talking about what we put into our mouths..) :)

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

54 minutes ago, Dove said:

After this last outbreak of E. Coli with the lettuces, I got an email that brought out what they think caused it, and it made me realize that it is not going to change anytime soon, and more people are going to get sick and possibly die for the very same reason.

It's basically the water that the farmers use to irrigate their crops with. Water that has been contaminated by the feces of animals in streams that find their way into the water used for irrigation. 

There is not a law forcing the farmers to test this irrigation water and it's very expensive to do , so they are refusing. Some companies say they do test  and it's safe, but they are some of the same ones that produced the contaminated crops this last time around.

I always buy organic and soak my raw vegetables in acv with a little powdered vitamin C in the water for dirt, pesticides, germs, bugs, et, but this doesn't  kill e. coli .

I have an autoimmune disorder plus in one of the categories at more risk, elderly, so I think for now I'm going to abstain from raw food. 

(I've yet to look into food that may have been contaminated before canning and how that works)

Why Romaine Lettuce and Spinach Keep Trying To Kill Us, and What We Can Do About It.html

Yes that's pretty awful.  I guess the only way to be sure something is ok is to grow our own.

Whatever the case if we try to eat the way Jehovah intended us to and have a natural varied diet avoiding refined foods we can only benefit.  He did create whole grains for us.   People who eat whole grains as part of a healthy diet have a reduced risk of some chronic diseases. They help reduce constipation and diverticulosis. Fiber-containing foods such as whole grains help provide a feeling of fullness with fewer calories. Grains are important sources of many nutrients, including fiber, B vitamins (thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and folate) and minerals (iron, magnesium and selenium).

The B vitamins thiamin, riboflavin, and niacin play a key role in metabolism – they help the body release energy from protein, fat, and carbohydrates.

The vitamins people who have diabetes type II lack are the following:

The B Vitamins 

Magnesium

Selinium

VITAMIN D

Potassium

Vit C.

Liquid Chlorophyll contains: Magnesium, Potassium, iron and  Vitamin B

Vitamin D ... Diabetes is rampant in countries above and below the equator - why? Because our intake of Sunlight is not adequate. Interestingly Vitamin D acts like a hormone, and can balance the body - it needs a good source of fat to be absorbed - it's rampant in raw  milk.

Selinium - your whole days intake of selinium is in ONE brazil nut.

I agree with Sister Susanna, stop eating food that is posing as food if you want your body to be in balance.

Eat what Jehovah would have purposed us to eat.

Be careful of the intake of Vitamin C ... while you can't overdose on Vitamin C your body will pass what it doesn't need, it's often not absorbed because of either eating it .. as in hot lemon and honey drinks ... heat kills Vitamin C ... or its not from a fresh source - also if you have vitamin C and have caffeine 1/2 hour either side of ingesting it - the caffeine will neutralize your Vitamin C before the body has a chance to absorb it.

I'm just trailling Fulvic Acid - from a NZ source, it's from a seam found in NZ's south Island that has been untouched by man. Not sure if its working yet.

Just wanted to add about Diabetes II - this is an inflammation condition caused by hormone imbalance. It can be reversed with good diet as can many other 'ills' of the western world ... processed sugar causes inflammation.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Brother Joāo, you're getting some good info here, there are a lot of things said that certainly have my attention, let me throw another variable into the mix.

This is based solely on my own experiences so it may or may not help you. 

Take into account your wife's eating habits.

My Denise's eating habits vary greatly from my own. I can get up and work half the day without eating. (back when I used to work) My life has never revolved around food. I can wait, and frequently do. I can go without eating just because I don't feel driven to it, it is something I have to do to survive. If I could take one pill a day that would replace all eating for the day, no problem,  hook me up...

Denise 'comfort eats'... A little bit of stress, a bowl of chips to the rescue.  An interesting TV program,  a couple of cookies that turn into half the box, or more. Gonna go lay in bed and read, gotta have something to go with.

She asks me at least a dozen times a day if I'm hungry, or what I want for dinner, or when am I going to eat. If it wasn't for her I would be fine with a couple of ounces of milk and one cookie. I have no problem with self control portion limits, if I want one cookie, I only eat one.

She can't do that. 

So, basically what I am trying to say is does your wife influence your intake? Is she always after you to get something just because she is eating and feels guilty about eating in front of you?

Also,  even just walking around in the office is exercise,  it's better than nothing. ...

Some want to lose weight, others want to gain weight.😎

I have been struggling to gain weight for the past 4years but my metabolism process won't allow me. When I am stressed out it gets worse. 😨

I fear its only child birth and old age that will do the trick but since both are far from me, I am stuck.😛

18 minutes ago, Squad said:

Some want to lose weight, others want to gain weight.😎

I have been struggling to gain weight for the past 4years but my metabolism process won't allow me. When I am stressed out it gets worse. 😨

I fear its only child birth and old age that will do the trick but since both are far from me, I am stuck.😛

I used to be like that.  A few tips Eat as healthily and naturally as you can.  Don't get short of B vits (brown rice has) and Magnesium (dark leafy greens has) as that results in anxiety as does dehydration.  Include foods that have omega 3's such as oily fish.  Reduce or avoid caffeine and drink water instead.

Edited by Naturale

On 11/30/2018 at 4:50 PM, Naturale said:

Whatever the case if we try to eat the way Jehovah intended us to and have a natural varied diet avoiding refined foods we can only benefit.  He did create whole grains for us.   People who eat whole grains as part of a healthy diet have a reduced risk of some chronic diseases. They help reduce constipation and diverticulosis. Fiber-containing foods such as whole grains help provide a feeling of fullness with fewer calories. Grains are important sources of many nutrients, including fiber, B vitamins (thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and folate) and minerals (iron, magnesium and selenium).

The B vitamins thiamin, riboflavin, and niacin play a key role in metabolism – they help the body release energy from protein, fat, and carbohydrates.

On 12/1/2018 at 12:18 AM, tekmantwo said:

Brother Joāo, you're getting some good info here, there are a lot of things said that certainly have my attention, let me throw another variable into the mix.

This is based solely on my own experiences so it may or may not help you. 

Take into account your wife's eating habits.

My Denise's eating habits vary greatly from my own. I can get up and work half the day without eating. (back when I used to work) My life has never revolved around food. I can wait, and frequently do. I can go without eating just because I don't feel driven to it, it is something I have to do to survive. If I could take one pill a day that would replace all eating for the day, no problem,  hook me up...

Denise 'comfort eats'... A little bit of stress, a bowl of chips to the rescue.  An interesting TV program,  a couple of cookies that turn into half the box, or more. Gonna go lay in bed and read, gotta have something to go with.

She asks me at least a dozen times a day if I'm hungry, or what I want for dinner, or when am I going to eat. If it wasn't for her I would be fine with a couple of ounces of milk and one cookie. I have no problem with self control portion limits, if I want one cookie, I only eat one.

She can't do that. 

So, basically what I am trying to say is does your wife influence your intake? Is she always after you to get something just because she is eating and feels guilty about eating in front of you?

Also,  even just walking around in the office is exercise,  it's better than nothing. ...

That is funny because I'm like your wife and my wife more like you :)

I think I have some kind of delay regarding the hungry sensation. After eating something, for example a bread with butter in the morning, I have a strong urge to eat another... and another if I'm fast preparing the next one... But if I can resist the urge, some minutes later the urge settles in. Often when I can't resist it, afterwards, I really feel I over ate..

Sometimes in a restaurant, before I realized this, after eating everything I asked for more food. But because it took sometime to prepare again, when it comes to the table I can't eat it anymore...

I'm not into a FB group on ketogenics diet that Uani suggested but didn't start anything yet... let's see where it takes me...

Anyway I feel my biggest problem its to control the hunger because it's a very very high demand and I guess my self control is going under :(

1 hour ago, jayrtom said:

That is funny because I'm like your wife and my wife more like you :)

I think I have some kind of delay regarding the hungry sensation. After eating something, for example a bread with butter in the morning, I have a strong urge to eat another... and another if I'm fast preparing the next one... But if I can resist the urge, some minutes later the urge settles in. Often when I can't resist it, afterwards, I really feel I over ate..

Sometimes in a restaurant, before I realized this, after eating everything I asked for more food. But because it took sometime to prepare again, when it comes to the table I can't eat it anymore...

I'm not into a FB group on ketogenics diet that Uani suggested but didn't start anything yet... let's see where it takes me...

Anyway I feel my biggest problem its to control the hunger because it's a very very high demand and I guess my self control is going under :(

Have you tried to do some work out or play sports that you like except chess or billiards? :)

Edited by rlyem

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

25 minutes ago, rlyem said:

Have you tried to do some work out or play sports that you like except chess or billiards? :)

Unfortunately I lack the time and will to do it... When I get home from work I'm mentally exhausted... On the weekend I go out in the ministry... but on a slow pace :)