JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

El Paso, TX and Dayton, OH Mass Shootings (combined)

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1563 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

3 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

You forgot a few. 

There were more than four shootings this week? 😮

That was a quote from CNN International.. 🤔

Edited by Hope

6 minutes ago, Hope said:

Yep, if you look at the weekend shooting report for Chicago or any large city you could count that as a weekend long mass shooting. Last weekends Chicago total was something like 9 killed and 30 wounded. Almost equal to the Dayton shooting.

21 minutes ago, cricket246 said:

@BenJepthah Ky would be correct lol I haven't been out of the house enough to answer that in depth, but guns have always been a major issue down here. Alot of people carry them everywhere and proudly advertise "Two things noone will take from me my Bible or my Guns." Attitudes on the other hand, wow.. People have become aggressive, short-tempered, and ill-mannered in the past year! Just going to my Dr's or the drugstore worries me anymore... I'm just waiting for someone to go berserk down here... 

I attend a Congregation in Louisville. So I have been watching since July 1st to see if the rate of gun violence goes up or down in the area. Ohio has open carry and many people I work with do carry ( but almost no one I know apart from LEO”s carry open. ( it makes the person a priority target for violent offenders).  Anyway, Although I do not have a permit ( nor want one) I will be watching to see how that permitless carry Law effects crime in Ky.

Guns don’t fire, unless some person pulls the trigger. :coffee:

I could argue that to the ground. But I wont bother cause I agree the discussion can be divisive.
But totally disagree that its political. Its biblical as jehovahs people we dont carry guns simple.
Does not mean they don't have a use I'm sure. But are they NEEDED of course not.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Fiona said:

But totally disagree that its political.

Several of the discussion we've had in the past have started discussing the political decisions by some countries to allow guns. As Christians we remain neutral about the political decisions that world leaders make and that includes discussing the legality of guns in some countries. As many members have brought out, the issue is about Satans influence on mankind in the last days.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, Hun said:

The facts speak otherwise. I hope my statement has not hurt you. We should not let patriotic feelings get the in way. I have noticed some brothers on here appeared to feel strongly about their country, which was very surprising to me at first. 

Hmmm, facts? What fact do you base this on? Or is it actually an opinion?

I know the only biblical fact says Satan rules the world. It does not say he resides in a certain place. But based on "facts" you might say he moves around. Maybe he was set up in Germany in the forties, Spent some time in Japan also. Jumped over to Russia after WW2, moved to China/Asia for a time. Might also be in North Korea right now. I also know he had a powerful demon in Iran (prince of Persia) for a while. What role does the King of the North play? Does that mean he resides with that nation(s). I thought actually the UN leads the charge against us so maybe he does hang out in New York city.   

Surprising to me that we have not learned to present opinions as facts.

No offense intended. 

58 minutes ago, Fiona said:

I could argue that to the ground. But I wont bother cause I agree the discussion can be divisive.
But totally disagree that its political. Its biblical as jehovahs people we dont carry guns simple.
Does not mean they don't have a use I'm sure. But are they NEEDED of course not.

45 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Several of the discussion we've had in the past have started discussing the political decisions by some countries to allow guns. As Christians we remain neutral about the political decisions that world leaders make and that includes discussing the legality of guns in some countries. As many members have brought out, the issue is about Satans influence on mankind in the last days.

I’m sorry, I had no intention on getting into a political discussion. I strictly limited my comment to the statement: “Guns don’t kill people; people do.” And Whether it makes sense or not.

The person who first stated that was clearly saying that the responsibility lies with a person, not a chunk of metal. Period. That’s all I’m saying. I’m not a gunslinger, I don’t hunt, I have no dog in this fight. I’m just addressing that one sentence. Period.

Even if you hate guns and want them all gone....that sentence is still logical.

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

1 hour ago, Hope said:

Yep, if you look at the weekend shooting report for Chicago or any large city you could count that as a weekend long mass shooting. Last weekends Chicago total was something like 9 killed and 30 wounded. Almost equal to the Dayton shooting.

I know this may be a surprise to some of the friends ( especially if you live in an urban setting) but not a few of the Brothers and Sisters DO carry firearms. Not for personal defense . Never with the intention of using them in a reprobate manner. But merely to feed their families and / or to euthanize animals struck by vehicles.  In some states ( Alaska for example) and even Cities ( Anchorage)  it is quite common to be in close proximity to large potentially dangerous animals made even more dangerous when injured by a car.  Or caught in a combine. Sometimes this turns out okay for all envolved ( I’ve walked a Whitetail Buck, held by the antler off an interstate ) but most times you’d wish you had a gun. The whole world is not a city. 

7 minutes ago, BenJepthah said:

I know this may be a surprise to some of the friends ( especially if you live in an urban setting) but not a few of the Brothers and Sisters DO carry firearms.

There have been several discussions about this, it might be a good idea to read the past discussions to get a better understanding of how some people feel about guns.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, Hun said:

The facts speak otherwise. I hope my statement has not hurt you. We should not let patriotic feelings get the in way. I have noticed some brothers on here appeared to feel strongly about their country, which was very surprising to me at first. 

Hun, I don’t think Randy was offended because you said Satan’s HQ was in America.

If you said Satan’s HQ was at his house, then he might get offended.  :lol1:

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

My brother has a rifle. He used to go elk hunting. When he was younger and had small children (6) to feed, he went every year.  He also has a large hunting knife, used to field dress the animal. Now he is unable to walk well enough to go hunting. He still has the rifle. It is stored in a bag in his closet. The ammunition is locked in a separate location. A pencil does not make a mistake, the hand holding it does. There is another statement floating around. "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." Only Jehovah's Kingdom will eliminate the problem. If it is a person's choice to possess a weapon, that person is responsible for however that weapon is used. 

I’m sorry, I had no intention on getting into a political discussion. I strictly limited my comment to the statement: “Guns don’t kill people; people do.” And Whether it makes sense or not.

The person who first stated that was clearly saying that the responsibility lies with a person, not a chunk of metal. Period. That’s all I’m saying. I’m not a gunslinger, I don’t hunt, I have no dog in this fight. I’m just addressing that one sentence. Period.

Even if you hate guns and want them all gone....that sentence is still logical.

True. But the political comment wasnt to do with your post.
Sorry, I'm actually not as articulate as you are. Or take the time and care that I see your posts always do.
It was written terribly( mine I mean)

1 hour ago, BenJepthah said:

I know this may be a surprise to some of the friends ( especially if you live in an urban setting) but not a few of the Brothers and Sisters DO carry firearms. Not for personal defense . Never with the intention of using them in a reprobate manner. But merely to feed their families and / or to euthanize animals struck by vehicles.  In some states ( Alaska for example) and even Cities ( Anchorage)  it is quite common to be in close proximity to large potentially dangerous animals made even more dangerous when injured by a car.  Or caught in a combine. Sometimes this turns out okay for all envolved ( I’ve walked a Whitetail Buck, held by the antler off an interstate ) but most times you’d wish you had a gun. The whole world is not a city. 

This is a little confusing because the accepted definition of carrying a firearm is to keep it on your person, either concealed which usually requires a permit or open carry which is accepted in many states with no special qualifications.  Such weapons are seldom used to provide food for the family, or as protection against potentially dangerous animals except in snake country. 

Euthanize animals struck by vehicals? Rare, I have used a rifle to euthanize a horse that had a compound fracture due to it's leg slipping through a cattle guard; one event in 60 years.

I am glad you were able to walk the white tail off the interstate, a very rare oportunity.

I have no firearms at this time having given away my rifles and my last remaining pistol. I have no wish to have a firearm for personal defense.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

This is a little confusing because the accepted definition of carrying a firearm is to keep it on your person, either concealed which usually requires a permit or open carry which is accepted in many states with no special qualifications.  Such weapons are seldom used to provide food for the family, or as protection against potentially dangerous animals except in snake country. 
Euthanize animals struck by vehicals? Rare, I have used a rifle to euthanize a horse that had a compound fracture due to it's leg slipping through a cattle guard; one event in 60 years.
I am glad you were able to walk the white tail off the interstate, a very rare oportunity.
I have no firearms at this time having given away my rifles and my last remaining pistol. I have no wish to have a firearm for personal defense.
I had NEVER considered carrying a gun. I live in Australia. Although I love going to the shotgun club for target clay shooting.
BUT.
I have recently moved to central outback Queensland AU and my husband and I talked about getting on when I ran over a roo. Fortunately it seemed ok and took off. But I was beside myself. I love animals.
But say if I had hurt it beyond repair and it was suffering.? We are miles from anywhere. No help at all. I couldnt run over it again... so guns definately have their purpose.
We still wont get one. I am just hoping it never happens.

I'm not sure this shooting was done with a "handgun" ... so, even if handguns were banned, this shooting could still have happened.

OTOH ... there were many more people killed on US highways over the weekend than were killed in all these shooting combined

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Apparently, one of our sister's may have been killed in this attack. Article mentions a brother sitting down next to the writer of the article...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/04/opinion/el-paso-shooting.html

"For God is the one who for the sake of his good pleasure energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act." Phil 2:13

I live in El Paso, TX. So i was about 5min away from yesterdays Mass shooting at the Wal-Mart!!! We had just finished service between 10:30 and 11:00. But i had no idea that a Mass Shooting was going on!!!!😕 So for your brothers information, we had 2 Jehovah's Witnesses shot dead at that Wal-Mart!😳 I had just seen them both last week, because they go to my father's hall where he's an Elder there. The 2 Jehovah's Witnesses who were shot dead, are name Andre Anchondo and Jordan Anchondo. They were a young couple, who had 3 children. A 6 yr old, a 2 yr old, and a 2 month old baby. Actually, the mom Jordan, died with her 2 month old baby in her arms, while the shooter pointed the gun to her head to shoot her, Jordan covered or shield her baby to save her, then dropped dead on her 2 month old baby. The baby survived, but with broken bones, cause of the weight of her mom Jordan falling on her. The father, Andre Anchondo, got shot very ugly, according to what we were told. They both attend my father's Congregation called 'Eastwood'. In my hall, Jordans Anchondos aunt attends with us. Today she looked very devastated!!!😳 We are now awaiting for funeral arrangements from the Body of Elders at my fathers Congregation.

Also, where i live in El Paso TX where the Mass Shooting happened, and where our 2 Jehovah's Witness friends got murdered there inside, there were 2 sisters from the Spanish Congregation doing Cart Witnessing there in front, then the shooting out in the parking lot started. But our sisters ran for their lives away from the Mass Shooter, because he had just killed people in the parking lot, and went towards their way to kill the people inside the Wal-Mart next, where then he shot 2 of my Jehovah's Witness friends dead.😳

Took this screenshot from an app from a local news station. He lived about 35 minutes from me. He said in a manifesto that it was racially motivated. Sick.

F471A8B5-053A-4100-BCE9-1F8D24C3A6DB.png

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

http://www.fox26houston.com/news/mexican-government-vows-legal-action-against-us-in-response-to-el-paso-mass-shooting?fbclid=IwAR10SSIFuCmeF4gG9zIslgS2O9rgw2NCFL-fowlM8qR1nvfmoUecdTIEzes

FoxNews.com - The Mexican government on Sunday threatened legal action against the United States for its response to Saturday's mass shooting at Walmart in El Paso, Texas that left 20 people dead, including six Mexican nationals.

Mexico's Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard made the announcement in a video posted to Twitter, in which he expressed indignation for the mass shooting at the Cielo Vista Mall.

"The president of the Republic has instructed me so that this posture and indignation from Mexico is translated, first in protecting affected families, and then in legal actions, efficient and prompt, quick and convincing so that Mexico can demand the conditions to protect to the Mexican-American community and Mexicans in the United States," Ebrard said.

He called Saturday's shooting "an act of barbarism." Ebrard didn't offer specifics but said Mexico would take action to protect its citizens living in the U.S.

"What happened is inadmissible and today, at 4 p.m., we will announce the first judicial actions that the Mexican government will take in accordance to international law," he added.

Among the 20 killed are six Mexican citizens and seven injured. Mexico revised the number of its citizens killed Sunday from three to six.

"Today, unfortunately, the update provided by the FBI... the regrettable part is that they’ve confirmed that 6 Mexicans have lost their lives, and there are 7 injured in El Paso, Texas," Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said.

Ebrard said five of the Mexican citizens killed were: Sara Regalado, Adolfo Cerros Hernandez, Jorge Calvillo Garcia, Elsa Mendoza de la Mora, and Gloria Irma Marquez. The sixth victim has not been identified.

El Paso, home to 680,000 residents, sits across the southern border from Cuidad Juarez in the Mexican state of Chihuahua.

The gunman, Patrick Crusius, 21, of Allen, Texas, was charged with capital murder. Investigators are looking into a manifesto they believe he wrote that could be a "nexus to a hate crime."

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

34 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

Took this screenshot from an app from a local news station. He lived about 35 minutes from me. He said in a manifesto that it was racially motivated. Sick.

I got his hometown of Allen mixed up with Richardson, which is next to it. A lot of Allen is country/rural. According to google it’s 46 minutes from me. It’s crazy because I just drove through Allen last Thursday. 

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.