JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Why did we call ourselves Jehovah's Witnesses?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1655 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

(This is my first post so I hope I got everything right)

(Personal Bible Study (JW Organization book, Chapter 11)

There were many reasons why the brothers needed to have a distinctive name.  Here is an example of a few.

This is from the September 15, 1931 The Watch Tower:

By giving his people a new name Jehovah has branded his people so that there can be no mistake as to their identity. These will henceforth stand out separate and distinct from all professed followers of Christ Jesus. Every one who really loves God must be his witness; and to be the witness of Jehovah means to serve the notice of Jehovah upon Christendom of his purpose to destroy her, and also the message declaring Jehovah's kingdom and the vindication of his holy name. No wonder the convention went wild with enthusiasm. On every hand the Lord's people there were heard to say: ‘We have been waiting for something of this kind, so that we could be clearly discerned from those who claim to be servants of God. Now we are happy, because we know who we are and where we are, and we can go forward with renewed zeal and energy.’ Necessarily the adoption of the resolution was the peak of the convention, because the anointed realized the warmth of Jehovah's love bestowed upon them. Now by the Lord's grace the anointed have a name that no others want. Those who have been opposing the Society and its work cannot take that name, because if they do they thereby declare themselves to be Jehovah's witnesses and prove that they have been wrong in opposing the witness work. These opponents have repeatedly stated that the Society is a bookselling scheme, and if they now take the name "Jehovah's witnesses" they brand themselves with the brand which Jesus said he would give them, to wit: ‘Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.’ -Rev. 3:9.”

What did you learn in your personal bible study?

Won't you share it with us?

Have you considered chapters 1-3 from jvBook?

Chapter 1
Why Should Jehovah Have Witnesses?

Chapter 2
Jesus Christ, the Faithful Witness

Chapter 3
Christian Witnesses of Jehovah in the First Century
“YOU will be witnesses of me . . . to the most distant part of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

We are the ones who are bearing, sharing, and wearing Jehovah's Unique and Holy Name. 

p.s. I thought this was your second post. Which came first this or the introduce yourself?  Either way, some people might already know that two is  my fave numeral because it represents a quantity that is both a prime and even number. But keep posting. Don't stop at two.

Y (retired but not recovered math teacher)S

Edited by kejedo

I always like the comment from the 1975 Yearbook on page 150/151

When he was eighty-eight years old A. H. Macmillan attended the “Fruitage of the Spirit” Assembly of Jehovah’s Witnesses in the same city. There, on August 1, 1964, Brother Macmillan made these interesting comments on how the adopting of that name came about:

“It was my privilege to be here in Columbus in 1931 when we received . . . the new title or name . . . I was amongst the five that were to make a comment on what we thought about the idea of accepting that name, and I told them this briefly: I thought that it was a splendid idea because that title there told the world what we were doing and what our business was. Prior to this we were called Bible Students. Why? Because that’s what we were. And then when other nations began to study with us, we were called International Bible Students. But now we are witnesses for Jehovah God, and that title there tells the public just what we are and what we’re doing. . . .

“In fact, it was God Almighty, I believe, that led to that, for Brother Rutherford told me himself that he woke up one night when he was preparing for that convention and he said, ‘What in the world did I suggest an international convention for when I have no special speech or message for them? Why bring them all here?’ And then he began to think about it, and Isaiah 43 came to his mind. He got up at two o’clock in the morning and wrote in shorthand, at his own desk, an outline of the discourse he was going to give about the Kingdom, the hope of the world, and about the new name. And all that was uttered by him at that time was prepared that night, or that morning at two o’clock. And [there is] no doubt in my mind—not then nor now—that the Lord guided him in that, and that is the name Jehovah wants us to bear and we’re very happy and very glad to have it.”

I just believe that it is the older generations responsibility to remind younger ones of how we got here. Keeping up is great, but history should not be forgotten. That's why the "Proclaimers" book was written.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

From this week's Bible reading of Heb 11, Jehovah has had many witnesses whose very lives demonstrated a testimony and some cases a martyrs death. Jesus was the foremost witness, testimony and martyr. We are privileged to have the name. 

Greek word for witness in Mt 24:14.

3142. marturion ►

Strong's Concordance

marturion: a testimony, a witness

Original Word: μαρτύριον, ου, τό

Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter

Transliteration: marturion

Phonetic Spelling: (mar-too'-ree-on)

Definition: a testimony, a witness

Usage: witness, evidence, testimony, proof.

NAS Exhaustive Concordance

Word Origin

from martus

Definition

a testimony, a witness

NASB Translation

testimony (19), witness (1).

Thayer's Greek Lexicon

STRONGS NT 3142: μαρτύριον

μαρτύριον, μαρτυρίου, τό (μάρτυρ (cf. μάρτυς)), (from Pindar, Herodotus down), the Sept. for עֵד, עֵדָה, more often for עֵדוּת (an ordinance, precept); most frequently for מועֵד (an assembly), as though that came from עוּד to testify, whereas it is from יָעַד to appoint; testimony;

a. with a genitive of the subjunctive: τῆς συνειδήσεως, 2 Corinthians 1:12; with the genitive of object: ἀποδιδόναι τό ... τῆς ἀναστάσεως Ἰησοῦ, Acts 4:33.

b. τοῦ Χριστοῦ, concerning Christ the Saviour (cf. Winer's Grammar, § 30, 1 a.): the proclamation of salvation by the apostles is so called (for reasons given under μαρτυρέω, at the beginning), 1 Corinthians 1:6; also τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν, 2 Timothy 1:8; τοῦ Θεοῦ, concerning God (Winer's Grammar, as above), i. e. concerning what God has done through Christ for the salvation of men, 1 Corinthians 2:1 (here WH text μυστήριον); with the subject. genitive ἡμῶν, given by us, 2 Thessalonians 1:10. εἰς μαρτύριον τῶν λαληθησομένων, to give testimony concerning those things which were to be spoken (in the Messiah's time) i. e. concerning the Christian revelation, Hebrews 3:5; cf. Delitzsch at the passage (others refer it to the Mosaic law (Numbers 12:7, especially 8); cf. Riehm, Lehrbegriff d. Heb. 1:312).

c. εἰς μαρτύριον αὐτοῖς for a testimony unto them, that they may have testimony, i. e. evidence, in proof of this or that: e. g. that a leper has been cured, Matthew 8:4; Mark 1:44; Luke 5:14; that persons may get knowledge of something the knowledge of which will be for their benefit, Matthew 10:18; Matthew 24:14; Mark 13:9; that they may have evidence of their impurity, Mark 6:11; in the same case we find εἰς μαρτύριον ἐπ' αὐτούς, for a testimony against them (cf. ἐπί, C. I. 2 g. γ. ββ.), Luke 9:5; ἀποβήσεται ὑμῖν εἰς μαρτύριον, it will turn out to you as an opportunity of bearing testimony concerning me and my cause, Luke 21:13; εἰς μαρτύριον ὑμῖν ἔσται, it will serve as a proof of your wickedness, James 5:3; by apposition to the whole preceding clause (Winer's Grammar, § 59, 9 a.), τό μαρτύριον καιροῖς ἰδίοις, that which (to wit, that Christ gave himself as a ransom) would be (the substance of) the testimony equivalent to was to be testified (by the apostles and the preachers of the gospel) in the times fitted for it, 1 Timothy 2:6 (where Lachmann omits τί μαρτύριον); cf. the full exposition of this passage in Fritzsche, Ep. ad Romans iii., p. 12ff; ἡ σκηνή τοῦ μαρτυρίου, Acts 7:44; Revelation 15:5; in the Sept. very often for אֹהֶל־מועֵד (see above), and occasionally for הָעֵדוּת אֹהֶל, as Exodus 38:26; Leviticus 24:3, etc.

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance

to be testified, testimony, witness.

Neuter of a presumed derivative of martus; something evidential, i.e. (genitive case) evidence given or (specially), the Decalogue (in the sacred Tabernacle) -- to be testified, testimony, witness.

see GREEK martus

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Martus to martyr by way of marturion. Fine development using the genitive case (possession, ownership.) (a) (Thayer's) or  (b)as an adjective and indicating relationship/evidence (Strong).  The genitive case (or second case) seems to have a broader use in Greek than in Latin.  We have some here that are far better versed in Greek than i, so I am prepared for correction/ feedback. Only studied Latin in Middle School

Y (amo te)S

Edited by kejedo

34 minutes ago, kejedo said:

I meant  agappo ton theon

Y (amo ton theon)S

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:20 AM, Old Guy said:

I just believe that it is the older generations responsibility to remind younger ones of how we got here. Keeping up is great, but history should not be forgotten. That's why the "Proclaimers" book was written.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Hi brother Dean!    You asked in another post what we got from our personal Bible study so I am responding to both posts.   I was baptized 8/13/60 btw - long after we took (or were given) that name.

My experience was that we took the name Jehovah's Witnesses from Isaiah 43:10,12 which was actually on our Watchtower front cover btw.

However, from my personal Bible study I found a much more profound reason we were given this name - and why in 1931 btw.

It was in 1931 that we were first literally called by the Divine Name.    We tended to concentrate on Acts 15:14 ( a people for his name) rather than verse 17 (the prophecy in Amos 9:11,12 that we would be called by the Divine Name Jehovah)

Acts 15:17

New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures (Study Edition)

17 so that the men who remain may earnestly seek Jehovah, together with people of all the nations, people who are called by my name, says Jehovah, who is doing these things,+

Quoting from this prophecy:

Amos 9:12b

And all the nations on whom my name has been called,’ declares Jehovah, who is doing this.

We tend to be proud (hopefully not stiff necked) - but I think we should humbly acknowledge it was Jehovah who did this.

But why in 1931?

Hint - what changes occurred in Jehovah's organization in the 1920's (after 1919, before 1931)?

13 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

Go to the pages 335-338 of this book. It explains why.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015012328814&view=1up&seq=1

I don't have the book  - obviously not on our website.   Perhaps you can post a few points that you are referring to?

I might add that Acts 15:17 is linked to vs. 14 - as we are a people for the Divine Name as well.

For example, a number of translations remove the Divine Name from the prophecy at Amos 9:12 - others retain the name Jehovah.

This shows who is for and who is against the Divine Name.

A few examples:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dx/r1/lp-e/1001070134/22623

Notice KJV renders the Divine Name as LORD in all capitals.  It is interesting that some do the same in the Christian Greek Scriptures (aka NT).

A few other translations:

Amos 9:12

(Darby)  that they may possess the remnant of Edom, and all the nations upon whom my name is called, saith Jehovah who doeth this.

(LITV)  so that they may possess the remnant of Edom, and all the nations on whom My name is called, declares Jehovah who is doing this.

(MKJV)  so that they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the nations on whom My name is called, says Jehovah who is doing this.

(TS2009)  so that they possess the remnant of Eḏom,c and all the nations on whom My Name is called,”d declares יהוה who does this.

[Note: footnote d is a cf to Acts 15:14,17).

Acts 15:17

(TS2009)  so that the remnant of mankind shall seek יהוה, even all the nations on whom My Name has been called, says יהוה who is doing all this,’

The latter is one of the few Bible translations that restore the Divine Name in the Christian Greek Scriptures.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:03 PM, AH173 said:

From this week's Bible reading of Heb 11, Jehovah has had many witnesses whose very lives demonstrated a testimony and some cases a martyrs death. Jesus was the foremost witness, testimony and martyr. We are privileged to have the name. 

3142. marturion ►

Strong's Concordance

Word Origin

from martus

Definition

a testimony, a witness

NASB Translation

Thayer's Greek Lexicon

Wow, this is very interesting. The other day, I was thinking of the Arabic version of Jehovah's Witness. It is shahidu Yahwah, and shahid, which is in the singular,  means both a witness and a martyr in Arabic. In Muslim countries, when someone has been killed in a war or some just cause, people often say that he has died a shahid and will have a place in Paradise. :) 

I think that Jehovah's Witness is the most spot-on name, which also has a Biblical basis. Jehovah is at the centre of everything we do, which is witnessing about him and his will through words and deeds 24/7. Plus, most would be ready to be martyred for his name. 

Edited by Bek

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:03 AM, AH173 said:

3142. marturion ►

Strong's Concordance

Word Origin

from martus

Definition

a testimony, a witness

NASB Translation

Thayer's Greek Lexicon

μαρτύριον, μαρτυρίου, τό (μάρτυρ (cf. μάρτυς)), (from Pindar, Herodotus down), the Sept. for עֵד, עֵדָה, more often for עֵדוּת (an ordinance, precept); most frequently for מועֵד (an assembly), as though that came from עוּד to testify, whereas it is from יָעַד to appoint; testimony;

a. with a genitive of the subjunctive: τῆς συνειδήσεως, 2 Corinthians 1:12; with the genitive of object: ἀποδιδόναι τό ... τῆς ἀναστάσεως Ἰησοῦ, Acts 4:33.

b. τοῦ Χριστοῦ, concerning Christ the Saviour (cf. Winer's Grammar, § 30, 1 a.): the proclamation of salvation by the apostles is so called (for reasons given under μαρτυρέω, at the beginning), 1 Corinthians 1:6; also τοῦ κυρίου ἡμῶν, 2 Timothy 1:8; τοῦ Θεοῦ, concerning God (Winer's Grammar, as above), i. e. concerning what God has done through Christ for the salvation of men, 1 Corinthians 2:1 (here WH text μυστήριον); with the subject. genitive ἡμῶν, given by us, 2 Thessalonians 1:10. εἰς μαρτύριον τῶν λαληθησομένων, to give testimony concerning those things which were to be spoken (in the Messiah's time) i. e. concerning the Christian revelation, Hebrews 3:5; cf. Delitzsch at the passage (others refer it to the Mosaic law (Numbers 12:7, especially 8); cf. Riehm, Lehrbegriff d. Heb. 1:312).

c. εἰς μαρτύριον αὐτοῖς for a testimony unto them, that they may have testimony, i. e. evidence, in proof of this or that: e. g. that a leper has been cured, Matthew 8:4; Mark 1:44; Luke 5:14; that persons may get knowledge of something the knowledge of which will be for their benefit, Matthew 10:18; Matthew 24:14; Mark 13:9; that they may have evidence of their impurity, Mark 6:11; in the same case we find εἰς μαρτύριον ἐπ' αὐτούς, for a testimony against them (cf. ἐπί, C. I. 2 g. γ. ββ.), Luke 9:5; ἀποβήσεται ὑμῖν εἰς μαρτύριον, it will turn out to you as an opportunity of bearing testimony concerning me and my cause, Luke 21:13; εἰς μαρτύριον ὑμῖν ἔσται, it will serve as a proof of your wickedness, James 5:3; by apposition to the whole preceding clause (Winer's Grammar, § 59, 9 a.), τό μαρτύριον καιροῖς ἰδίοις, that which (to wit, that Christ gave himself as a ransom) would be (the substance of) the testimony equivalent to was to be testified (by the apostles and the preachers of the gospel) in the times fitted for it, 1 Timothy 2:6 (where Lachmann omits τί μαρτύριον); cf. the full exposition of this passage in Fritzsche, Ep. ad Romans iii., p. 12ff; ἡ σκηνή τοῦ μαρτυρίου, Acts 7:44; Revelation 15:5; in the Sept. very often for אֹהֶל־מועֵד (see above), and occasionally for הָעֵדוּת אֹהֶל, as Exodus 38:26; Leviticus 24:3, etc.

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance

to be testified, testimony, witness.

Neuter of a presumed derivative of martus; something evidential, i.e. (genitive case) evidence given or (specially), the Decalogue (in the sacred Tabernacle) -- to be testified, testimony, witness.

see GREEK martus

Thank you for the research brother Ashley!   

My print copy of Thayer's lexicon has disintegrated - do you know an internet source that you could link to?

I have downloaded much from E-sword, including an abridged version of Thayer's - to wit:

G3142
μαρτύριον
marturion
Thayer Definition:
1) testimony
Part of Speech: noun neuter
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from a presumed derivative of G3144

G3144
μάρτυς
martus
Thayer Definition:
1) a witness
1a) in a legal sense
1b) an historical sense
1b1) one who is a spectator of anything, e.g. of a contest
1c) in an ethical sense
1c1) those who after his example have proved the strength and genuineness of their faith in Christ by undergoing a violent death
Part of Speech: noun masculine

Strong's Hebrew dictionary

G3144
μάρτυς
martus
mar'-toos
Of uncertain affinity; a witness (literally [judicially] or figuratively [generally]); by analogy a “martyr”: - martyr, record, witness.
Total KJV occurrences: 34

Indeed, the fact that we give testimony is part of it - as per Matthew 24:14

23 minutes ago, Newtonian said:

Perhaps you can post a few points that you are referring to?

Paul, actually he quoted a large section of the book and the moderators asked him to either abbreviate it or post the link.

We encourage all of the forum members to keep their comment clear, brief and simple so that it encourages and allows discussion. We have found that long comments and quotes are typically ignored. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

40 minutes ago, Newtonian said:
1 hour ago, Dustparticle said:

I don't have the book  - obviously not on our website.   Perhaps you can post a few points that you are referring to?

Dusty posted a link to the book.  You quoted the link.  Just click on the link and put in the page number Dusty referred to 

Edited by Shawnster

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Paul, actually he quoted a large section of the book and the moderators asked him to either abbreviate it or post the link.

We encourage all of the forum members to keep their comment clear, brief and simple so that it encourages and allows discussion. We have found that long comments and quotes are typically ignored. 

Just curious, how do you know when a post is read or ignored..just the lack of reactions would not tell that..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

39 minutes ago, Dove said:

Just curious, how do you know when a post is read or ignored..just the lack of reactions would not tell that..

True, however sometimes the information is repeated and its evident that no one saw the long post. The moderators have also received feedback from some members about long posts. Speaking for myself, I usually black out after the first paragraph...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

36 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

True, however sometimes the information is repeated and its evident that no one saw the long post. The moderators have also received feedback from some members about long posts. Speaking for myself, I usually black out after the first paragraph...

36 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Just for the record I do too but didn’t know how anyone would know 🙂

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..