JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

1 minute ago, Hope said:

Ugh... not looking forward to that update on my PC. :( It did update on my phone and I see where the handraise is different.

Bleh.. 😐

And those that raise their hand move up to the first row...Lower hand they move back to original positions.

Drives host and cohosts nutty  🥜  😁😁😁😁😁

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

32 minutes ago, Loopy said:

And those that raise their hand move up to the first row...Lower hand they move back to original positions.

Drives host and cohosts nutty  🥜  😁😁😁😁😁

We especially get nutty 🥜 when immediately after assigned the comment,  they lower their hands before we have a chance to turn on their microphone.

When they do this,  Zoom moves them back to their original position and we have to spend time to locate them in the list of participants 😠

Interesting. Commenters don’t turn on their mics themselves?

Yeah, I can see where that could be a problem...delay in meeting too. 

I se3 a reminder may be in order? 😁😁😁😁😁😁

1 hour ago, luisenriquereyes said:

We especially get nutty 🥜 when immediately after assigned the comment,  they lower their hands before we have a chance to turn on their microphone.

When they do this,  Zoom moves them back to their original position and we have to spend time to locate them in the list of participants 😠

Ooohhh!! 🥴😵🤯  I'm glad our brothers let us unmute ourselves!  It would be chaos.

For my part, I don't lower my hand until after my comment. I'm only focused on the unmute after being called on- I mute and lower hand at the same time.

1 hour ago, luisenriquereyes said:

When we started with Zoom, we, too, used to unmute and mute everybody. That is very intensive and a lot of work, though. Now we just do "muting support" muting those who have forgotten to mute themselves after their comments. Or we might choose to Request to unmute an individual who is called on (such as a telephone dial-in participant) and who is still on unmute.

I think one easy way to find the participant if they lower their hand too soon is to quickly search for their name in the search box that becomes visible in the participant pane when there are enough participants for the scroll bar to appear. Would it work for you if, let's say hermano Hernandez lowers his hand too soon, just type "Hern" in the search box and request to unmute. Of course if there's many with the same name, you may need to use a more specific other search term.

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

1 hour ago, Hope said:

But if you have the participant pane open, you never have to scroll. The raised hands are always at the top of the list.

1 hour ago, Hope said:

Ooohhh!! 🥴😵🤯  I'm glad our brothers let us unmute ourselves!  It would be chaos.

For my part, I don't lower my hand until after my comment. I'm only focused on the unmute after being called on- I mute and lower hand at the same time.

The sisters in my congregation are very knowledgeable as Sister Hope is. I have less problem with sisters than brothers as regarding unmuting themselves and lowering their hands vs. the brothers in general.

:)

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

2 hours ago, AH173 said:

The sisters in my congregation are very knowledgeable as Sister Hope is. I have less problem with sisters than brothers as regarding unmuting themselves and lowering their hands vs. the brothers in general.

:)

Thanks! It's just curious to me.. the things we need to do on Zoom are truly very simple. And we've been doing them, minimal, twice a week, two hours at at time, for over nine months!  No offense... but it's really not rocket science. I don't understand why so many- even appointed brothers (not elderly) struggle so much with muting, unmuting, camera placement, lighting, after such a long time? 

I know, it's all about patience and so on... but it's not quite as humorous as it was back in May.. 🤷🏽‍♀️  It's quite an easy video tool.. 😊

#endsoapbox. 😌

2 minutes ago, Hope said:

Thanks! It's just curious to me.. the things we need to do on Zoom are truly very simple. And we've been doing them, minimal, twice a week, two hours at at time, for over nine months!  No offense... but it's really not rocket science. I don't understand why so many- even appointed brothers (not elderly) struggle so much with muting, unmuting, camera placement, lighting, after such a long time? 

I know, it's all about patience and so on... but it's not quite as humorous as it was back in May.. 🤷🏽‍♀️  It's quite an easy video tool.. 😊

#endsoapbox. 😌

UNMUTE ONLY IF YOU GET CALLED ON. HOW HARD IT THAT?

1 hour ago, Hope said:

I don't understand why so many- even appointed brothers (not elderly) struggle so much with muting, unmuting, camera placement, lighting, after such a long time? 

For the same reason they are late to meetings when we met at the KH ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Let's see if I can explain the correlation:

A few years back we used to have our PT at 9:30 AM. We had some who would always show up about 9:45 (15 minutes late to the meeting).  It was decided that we would change our meeting time to 10 AM - that would make it easier for those who couldn't make it until 9:45.  

We have been meeting at 10 AM ever since.

Only thing is, those who habitually came in at 9:45 ... when we started meeting at 10 AM they did not get to the meeting until 10:15.

So, their being late to the meeting had nothing to do with "Work, Traffic, Kids to get fed & dressed after a long day at work and traffic" ... if they could make 9:45 before the time change they should still be able to make 9:45 - why do they now show up at 10:15?   ~    For the same reason they can't remember to mute/unmute.

I will say that we have far less people being late to meetings than we did when we met at the KH - but, we do still have some of the consistently late still arriving late to the Zoom Meeting ... and they don't have to deal with traffic or road conditions to be on time.

I hope that explains my comment ...

I updated my Zoom app yesterday midday. Our mid week was last night. My participant screen showed some 80 on at the time with my name in the regular place on the top of the list. What didn't show was the raise hand feature at  the bottom. There were but two options shown, 'INVITE'  and 'UNMUTE.' The screen showed the raised hands of others in the new flesh color. We sat the meeting out with out being able to comment.

Anyone else have this problem?

Any ideas?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

15 minutes ago, Old said:

I updated my Zoom app yesterday midday. Our mid week was last night. My participant screen showed some 80 on at the time with my name in the regular place on the top of the list. What didn't show was the raise hand feature at  the bottom. There were but two options shown, 'INVITE'  and 'UNMUTE.' The screen showed the raised hands of others in the new flesh color. We sat the meeting out with out being able to comment.

Anyone else have this problem?

Any ideas?

Go to Reactions area and click on that. Raise hand should be there. 

Let's see if I can explain the correlation:

A few years back we used to have our PT at 9:30 AM. We had some who would always show up about 9:45 (15 minutes late to the meeting).  It was decided that we would change our meeting time to 10 AM - that would make it easier for those who couldn't make it until 9:45.  

We have been meeting at 10 AM ever since.

Only thing is, those who habitually came in at 9:45 ... when we started meeting at 10 AM they did not get to the meeting until 10:15.

So, their being late to the meeting had nothing to do with "Work, Traffic, Kids to get fed & dressed after a long day at work and traffic" ... if they could make 9:45 before the time change they should still be able to make 9:45 - why do they now show up at 10:15?   ~    For the same reason they can't remember to mute/unmute.

I will say that we have far less people being late to meetings than we did when we met at the KH - but, we do still have some of the consistently late still arriving late to the Zoom Meeting ... and they don't have to deal with traffic or road conditions to be on time.

I hope that explains my comment ...

Time Management comes easier for some people than others. I see two things that can make someone consistently late: 1) Trying to take care of too many things prior to the meeting or 2) simply being lazy and not getting yourself together. Either way outing the spiritual thing in the first (most important) place would help the situation improve. In any case, appreciate each person has the gift of free will and love them for being there ... whenever they get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/24/2020 at 2:39 PM, luisenriquereyes said:

Some others mentioned it...but our instructions indicate they should mute and unmute themselves... as needed

it also says attendants can assist.....so in my KH we do assist those 3 that are elderly and struggle with technology

but the vast majority should be responsible for their own actions

Not sure how I feel about the new feature.....but it definitely makes it easier on the brother with the Q&A parts

another new feature is that Co-Host can also setup breakout rooms...that was a plus for us....

On 12/24/2020 at 1:34 PM, LoneWanderer said:

When we started with Zoom, we, too, used to unmute and mute everybody. That is very intensive and a lot of work, though. Now we just do "muting support" muting those who have forgotten to mute themselves after their comments. Or we might choose to Request to unmute an individual who is called on (such as a telephone dial-in participant) and who is still on unmute.

I think one easy way to find the participant if they lower their hand too soon is to quickly search for their name in the search box that becomes visible in the participant pane when there are enough participants for the scroll bar to appear. Would it work for you if, let's say hermano Hernandez lowers his hand too soon, just type "Hern" in the search box and request to unmute. Of course if there's many with the same name, you may need to use a more specific other search term.

Yes we still unmute and mute everybody for a couple of reasons. We have larger families that connect their laptop to a big screen Television. Their laptop is near the TV but they are all sitting at some distance from the TV.   It takes them some time to go back and forth from their seat to unmute and mute themselves.

Also many of our users use Android or iOS on phones or tablets and it seems harder to find where the options are to raise hand and unmute.   So with the option to allow users to unmute themselves is on,  some always find the way to accidentally turn the microphone on when they were just trying to raise the hand for a comment 😕

If needed I do use the easy way to find the participants by searching for their names.  It helps a lot 😁

Edited by luisenriquereyes

52 minutes ago, luisenriquereyes said:

We have larger families that connect their laptop to a big screen Television. Their laptop is near the TV but they are all sitting at some distance from the TV.   It takes them some time to go back and forth from their seat to unmute and mute themselves.

Yes, we also send the video to the TV. However, since my keyboard and mouse are wireless (you can get a "matched set" at Walmart or on Amazon for very little cost) I can sit anywhere in the LR and still be able to mute/unmute using the spacebar on the keyboard. Saves time trying to find the right place on the screen to click/touch or having to get up to do that.

I also have a BT keyboard for my tablet that allows me to do the same from my Android tablet.

image.png.c6b81ff5f59bdc50e90cab236b06a0de.png

4 hours ago, luisenriquereyes said:

Yes we still unmute and mute everybody for a couple of reasons. We have larger families that connect their laptop to a big screen Television. Their laptop is near the TV but they are all sitting at some distance from the TV.   It takes them some time to go back and forth from their seat to unmute and mute themselves.

Also many of our users use Android or iOS on phones or tablets and it seems harder to find where the options are to raise hand and unmute.   So with the option to allow users to unmute themselves is on,  some always find the way to accidentally turn the microphone on when they were just trying to raise the hand for a comment 😕

If needed I do use the easy way to find the participants by searching for their names.  It helps a lot 😁

We do this as well in my congregation. We assign 2 Microphone brothers to handle this. First half and 2nd half. On the MWM, the first half microphone assignment is from the beginning of the meeting until the middle song, then the other brother takes over. On the weekend meeting, the first half is from the beginning until the WT half way point.

On 12/26/2020 at 11:04 AM, luisenriquereyes said:

For those with multiple screens and TV ..... this will cause some issues in any of the newer versions of zoom

WHEN attendants unmute....manually 

causes a pop up that appears onscreen....and the local participant must acknowledge or decline the prompt 

( so not actually saving the effort of ‘getting up’)

in some cases it appears behind windows or elsewhere and impedes The smooth flow because folks need to find the popup and acknowledge/decline

then need to unmute themselves

causes glitchy issues and unnecessarily extends the comment process

( this obviously precludes helping those who can’t use technology)