JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updating Watchtower CD

I have an older HP 17" laptop that I was using for LDC Cad projects.  I just got it out and plugged it in.  I selected auto update (check for updates) in the Watchtower Library.  It began downloading the update.

It took about 6 minutes download (about 2.0 GB)

It took about 1 minute to validate (maybe less)

It took 12 minutes to install

I rebooted and the first time to open the program took 60 seconds.  All times after that initial one take 2-3 seconds each.

On 6/7/2020 at 3:14 AM, Bro Richard said:

This method has worked for some.

1. Use this link and go to the Download an Update Package subheading.

https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/watchtower-library/update-watchtower-library/

2.Download the update package from jw.org. it's about 2.8 GB and dated 5-29-2020.

3. Read the instructions on how to Apply An Update Package. 

4. Reboot your device

5. Open WTLIB and Apply the update package as per the instructions on jw.org. 

Thanks.  This worked for me.  I was having the error message with the automatic update and this helped.

Hi everyone. I'm a newcomer from Japan.

I have the same problem in updating WT Library. The result is always the same.

1)Message box saying "updating  ( 0% in progress)" for several minutes, then,

2)Failure message box appears saying "...check if another instance of WT Library is not running. " (Of course not)

I have 2 Dell notebook PCs with Windows 7 and the result was the same for both.

As for the first one, say PC-A had both WT Library Japanese and English Versions and having been successfully updated by automatic update option until the last update. But the latest update failed as stated above for both Japanese and English. So I uninstalled both, downloaded the initial 2017 version iso files, installed it, then tried updating to the latest, but in vain. Next I tried manual update by  update package, with the same result. Next I suspected damaged file and registry data, and deleted or recovered suspicious files, then deleted registry data which contain "Watchtower" by regedit.exe program , but in vain. (Each time I tried, I rebooted my PC.)

As for the second one, say PC-B, it had WT Library 2013 Japanese version. I uninstalled it, then installed from the 2017 iso file, then tried updating to the latest level by manual package, but the same result.

(I of course read the online-Help page concerning Install / Update Watchtower Library carefully.)

Considering the whole result, I concluded that there is something wrong on the update package side, not on my PC side, which might be related with Windows 7 environment.

Now that I tried every effot I could think of,  could somebody advise me of some possible way to get out of this swamp?

Thank you for your patience.

57 minutes ago, JWKenjiji said:

Considering the whole result, I concluded that there is something wrong on the update package side, not on my PC side, which might be related with Windows 7 environment.

I dont know if it is possible that some of the update packages may be corrupted but that seems to be what is happening. If you have manually downloaded the update package then compare it with what is currently available on jw.org. 

The English file that I downloaded worked for me. I can give you that file if you think it will help you.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, JWKenjiji said:

Welcome to JWTalk! *wave wave*

My Dell laptop has an up to date Wndows 10.

I have given up and left 'the swamp'.

Waisted wàaaaaaaaaaay  to many hours trying to 'fit a square peg into a round  hole.'

Will just have to wait until a rounded peg package is released, and the 'swamp' is drained. :D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

6 minutes ago, smeggy3450 said:

I cannot install updates.  I get the error that there is another watchtower library running and i need to close it.  There is no other running.  I have rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalle but mp go.

Welcome to JWT. 

I will merge your topic with a few of the other topics that are discussing the same issue. I hope it helps you find an answer. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On June 5, 2020 I was having problems updating WT Library when I tried to install the update that downloads automatically when you have the application set to “Download Updates automatically.”

The name of the update that downloads automatically or that will be download if you create a package using the “Manual Update Package” under the “Help” menu in WT Library will be named: "WTLibrary.E.ETE.2002.BUNDLE.UPDATEPKG".

Every time I tried to install WTLibrary.E.ETE.2002.BUNDLE.UPDATEPKG I would get an error message that stated – 

"Failed to update Watchtower Library. Please make sure that there are no other instances of Watchtower Library running, then try again."

After spending a couple of hours trying different methods and researching the net, I found the solution on this web site. I went back today and could not find which post it was, but here is the solution that worked for me.

Go to jw.org. Click on brown WT Library icon. Click on “Update Watchtower Library”. Click on “Download” under “Download an update package" button.

The file that will download to your computer will be named “lyu_E.updatepkg” – use this file to update your WT Library.

This worked for me. I hope it does for you too.

19 minutes ago, Carhn said:

I had same issue, but then opened the library as the adminstrator, and it updated with no issues..Hope this helps bros.. 👍

How do you open WTLibrary as 'administrator'?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

In Windows, you right click on the icon and select "Run as Administrator" - or, you may have to actually right click the .exe file and select "Run as Administrator"

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

10 hours ago, JWKenjiji said:

I have the same problem in updating WT Library. The result is always the same.

1)Message box saying "updating  ( 0% in progress)" for several minutes, then,

2)Failure message box appears saying "...check if another instance of WT Library is not running. " (Of course not)

I have 2 Dell notebook PCs with Windows 7 and the result was the same for both.

As for the first one, say PC-A had both WT Library Japanese and English Versions and having been successfully updated by automatic update option until the last update. But the latest update failed as stated above for both Japanese and English. So I uninstalled both, downloaded the initial 2017 version iso files, installed it, then tried updating to the latest, but in vain. Next I tried manual update by  update package, with the same result. Next I suspected damaged file and registry data, and deleted or recovered suspicious files, then deleted registry data which contain "Watchtower" by regedit.exe program , but in vain. (Each time I tried, I rebooted my PC.)

As for the second one, say PC-B, it had WT Library 2013 Japanese version. I uninstalled it, then installed from the 2017 iso file, then tried updating to the latest level by manual package, but the same result.

(I of course read the online-Help page concerning Install / Update Watchtower Library carefully.)

Now that I tried every effot I could think of,  could somebody advise me of some possible way to get out of this swamp?

Thank you for your patience.

If you are running Windows 7, you have to have some 3rd party program installed on your device that can load an ISO file for you.  It is in the installation instructions.

It worked right!

Could update both Japanese and English WT Library to the latest state , thanks to the advice of Brother Fredrik:

14 hours ago, fdbusch said:

Go to jw.org. Click on brown WT Library icon. Click on “Update Watchtower Library”. Click on “Download” under “Download an update package" button.

The file that will download to your computer will be named “lyu_E.updatepkg” – use this file to update your WT Library.

I feel like I could fly like a bird, cause WT Library is a "Must" for me!

Thank you Brother Fredrik and all the brothers and sisters who gave precious advices!

Friends I don't care how I go about it, I cannot download the latest update to my HP Windows 10 laptop.

Is there something I need to do as in maybe delete the version I have currently. 

This is the first time this has happened since we started updating in this manner.

Am I missing some drivers that's needed for this update? Needless to say, I am totally confused, (which btw doesn't take much to do)

Thanks everyone!

Voni in NC 

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

I noticed this time and several times before that the WT Lib update does Not like laptops.

Works fine on my tower PC but 3 laptops ( wife's, mine and damaged screen one I acquired  ) Nada. Downloads update fails on installing.

Haven't bothered to play with it yet as just manually updated to Win 10 v 2004 ( 20H1 ). There were 126 updates out on Tuesday for win 10 v2004.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Your topic was merged with the other topics that have discussed the same problem. Please read this entire topic, you might find the answer you are looking for.

Edited by Bro Richard

23 hours ago, Carhn said:

I had same issue, but then opened the library as the adminstrator, and it updated with no issues..Hope this helps bros.. 👍

This can be done by right clicking on the WT Library app and click on open as administrator.. 😇

Tthanks. I used your suggestion and finally got my Watchtower Library updated.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm having problems with Watchtower Library (the old DVD version) failing to update on my PC with Windows.

I've had it installed on my computer for years and have been receiving the downloaded updates on a regular basis up until a few months ago.  Now when it tries to update, it downloads the update just fine and asks "Do you want to apply the update now?", but when I say yes, the installation box progress bar remains at 0% for several minutes until a warning box comes up saying: "Failed to update Watchtower Library.  Please make sure that there are no other instances of Watchtower Library running, then try again."

I have gone into the Task Manager and made sure Watchtower Library is not open.  I've completely uninstalled it from my computer and reinstalled from the download on the JW.ORG website - same problem.  I then uninstalled that and reinstalled from the old DVD I had, but it has the same problem.  I've also gone under "Help" and tried to manually create and apply an update package - same thing.  It downloads the package fine but fails to update.

Any ideas what the problem could be?  It seems strange that even if I completely uninstall it from the computer that it is still having this problem.  It won't update anything past 2017.

54 minutes ago, JSmith said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm having problems with Watchtower Library (the old DVD version) failing to update on my PC with Windows.

I merged your topic with one that already discusses the issue you are having. Read this topic for some helpful suggestions. 

It's also discussed at the end of this topic https://jwtalk.net/topic/29238-watchtower-library-on-dvd/ but we are trying to herd all of the comments into the same thread. 

Edited by Mephibosheth

1 hour ago, Mephibosheth said:

I merged your topic with one that already discusses the issue you are having. Read this topic for some helpful suggestions. 

It's also discussed at the end of this topic https://jwtalk.net/topic/29238-watchtower-library-on-dvd/ but we are trying to herd all of the comments into the same thread. 

Wow, good eye. I didn't see this. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Last night I had to "restore" the old CAD laptop I use as backup.  The only way i could get the 2020 update to Windows 10 to load was basically to wipe everything (including most apps) from the machine in the process.  I lost my JW Library and my Watchtower Library.

I reloaded the Watchtower Library from the 2017 DVD.  It was a little slow but it worked fine.  Then I allowed the automatic update to start.  It went much faster.  Then when I started the program, it said I needed to update one more time (I expected this).  When it was done, everything works fine.  This laptop is a 6 year old HP.

Then I downloaded the JW Library and it went reasonably quickly and it works OK as well.  

In view of the statements "not to load the program from DVD or use the auto-updates", I have to say my experience was the opposite.

• 1 month later...

Having the same issues - cannot get Wt Library to auto update or create a package and update.  Says another instance is running.  After uninstalling, and reinstalling Wt Library, Windows did some updates and a RESTART.  The package I downloaded from Wt Library (not online at JW.ORG Wt Library update) worked after the RESTART!!  When attempting to Apply the Package, It looked like it was frozen up for over 3 minutes, but finally and very quickly (minutes) it updated it to the most current to include CLM workbooks through October 2020.  This was installed on a DELL E6540 laptop.  I had just about given up, especially since I have no issues updating my iMac 2011 with the most current Wt Library updates.  That was a breeze in comparison to Windows 10.