JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Aled Jones- "Listen, Obey and Be Blessed" (merged)

4 hours ago, Naturale said:

so there must have been permission given for it to be recorded and released

If, and my understanding is that this is the case, the song is subject to a Compulsory Mechanical Licence, then no permission is needed to release the song. That's why the licence is called 'Compulsory'. The most the Organisation can do is distance themselves from the release, which is possibly why the record is credited to 'Traditional'.

We may never get all the details, but I am certain that the Organisation would NEVER release anything except as an official release on jw.org nor would they consent to a worldly company including the song on a multi-faith CD. Hence, my thinking the Compulsory licence applied and they could not prevent it.

17 minutes ago, Andy Bell said:

If, and my understanding is that this is the case, the song is subject to a Compulsory Mechanical Licence, then no permission is needed to release the song. That's why the licence is called 'Compulsory'. The most the Organisation can do is distance themselves from the release, which is possibly why the record is credited to 'Traditional'.

We may never get all the details, but I am certain that the Organisation would NEVER release anything except as an official release on jw.org nor would they consent to a worldly company including the song on a multi-faith CD. Hence, my thinking the Compulsory licence applied and they could not prevent it.

Yes I see.  Trouble is what is to stop this happening to more of our songs?   It makes it look to the outside world that  the organisation are making profit when they are not :/

So what if the person who originally wrote the song has now  left the truth and wants to make some money?    I know I'm making it up

He does not own the rights. All rights are owned by one of our legal companies. Just like if you work for a company and invent something for them.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, Naturale said:

Trouble is what is to stop this happening to more of our songs?

Nothing can stop it - once the song’s been released publicly anyone can make a cover. 

But how likely is that others would do so? It seems Aled wanted to do an album about blessings and the song fits perfectly. I suspect it’s a one off thing...

My view is to try to see it as Paul saw it: Phil 1:18 ‘in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is being proclaimed, and I rejoice over this’

Who knows if some will research the song and end up visiting jw.org?

4 hours ago, Hope said:

I have no doubt they are completely oblivious. I still don't like it. 😡

I have to agree. The fact that the song is on such a “religious/Christian” album, shows to people in the world that we have engaged in interfaith. 

As much as people have discussed the music legalities here (and thanks for that), consideration does have to given as regards the spiritual effects of this situation and how that looks to the public at large.

Edited by Adam!

Those who know Jehovahs organisation will/should understand what's more likely. In other words there is absolutely no chance of an intentional collaboration.

Those who hate Jehovahs organisation will attempt to spread misinformation and outright lies. I say leave them to spew their bile. Someone we all know well and is way more powerful and knowledgeable than us will sort it out one way or another. 😉 

10 hours ago, Adam! said:

The fact that the song is on such a “religious/Christian” album, shows to people in the world that we have engaged in interfaith. 

Most people who buy the CD will see that the song is credited to 'Traditional' and will have no idea that it's one of ours. In this way, I think the Organisation has done everything it legally can to distance itself from this...

I'd imagine that most people who buy the cd will simply enjoy it for what it is and won't spend their time Googling the songs to find out more about them. Those who hate the Organisation will, of course, try to make as much as they can out of this. But we can 'let them be', as Jesus said of the Pharisees. 

18 hours ago, Adam! said:

I have to agree. The fact that the song is on such a “religious/Christian” album, shows to people in the world that we have engaged in interfaith. 

As much as people have discussed the music legalities here (and thanks for that), consideration does have to given as regards the spiritual effects of this situation and how that looks to the public at large.

I'm not sure I would classify this as "interfaith", rather, it would give a consumer the idea that the album is a compilation of traditional songs from different faiths. That doesn't necessarily mean that all these faiths/religions agree with one another. Just that the singer wanted to highlight special songs from each faith or religion.

I thank those who did the research into the copyright. We know that Jehovah has this all in hand. As the song has been attributed to “Traditional “, it does seems that the brothers have done all they can legally to distance themselves.

Now, how does anyone know it’s a witness song? By reading the comments on YouTube. Maybe this situation may develop:

1. Person likes song, reads comments, finds out its really a JW song and then goes to jw.org...... maybe comes into the truth, who knows.

2. person finds out it is a JW song, and somehow manages to affect sales with this negativity (highly unlikely, but social media these days....), and then BMG/WB realise that was a mistake to use a JW song and all music companies never touch our music again.

Im only musing here, but for whatever reason, this has been permitted to happen by Jehovah. And we know how he fantastically turns things around to his own glory. Maybe this is one of those time?

Is there any organization or individual that is charting the times it is played or accessed in some form or another?

On a side note we had a friend whose father professionally sang opera. He would accompany his family to the meetings even though he never accepted the truth. If you were there at a meeting when he attended there was no question that we had a very good singer present. A family that had been in an failed agricultural business with him some 20 years previous didn't know Ed was present for our Sunday meeting. They didn't even know we knew the family but they knew it immediately the Kingdom music began.

Ed Litton was his name, at that time they lived in Mill Valley CA. Our dear friend Penelope Benbrook was his daughter.

Edited by Old

Stupidity would be a good place to start.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

• 1 month later...
Just now, Fiona said:

Just noticed on Spotify, our song on his album is greyed out. Cannot be played.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sounds like it may have got settled then. A shame in another sense as he's a great singer and does a nice rendition, but of course, there are deeper issues and concerns to think of. Merely just having the song on the five minutes on the album causes all sorts of stirs in the apostate community.

• 2 weeks later...

Brother Chuck has posted the link to an interesting article concerning this topic:

No need for further speculations as to the legality.

The courts will decide now.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

On 11/11/2020 at 4:24 AM, Andy Bell said:

Second, how likely is it that WB would try to dodge their legal obligation to WBTS and not credit them or pay the royalties? Again, I'd say zero. WB would view WBTS as a large, resource rich Charity and would not risk their reputation and a huge court case for the sake of a few $$$.

Guess what.  Looks like the Society is suing over the copyright infringement here.  Apparently large companies do, indeed, risk their reputation for a few $$$...

WOW. I’m just now reading about this. I find it ironic how the album is supposed to be centered on Christian music when he used our song without permission even after being warned not to do so. That’s definitely not Christlike or showing love to ones neighbor. 
Oh well. Maybe this will bring publicity to JW.org.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

Listen, obey or be sued. 

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Hey, that song belongs to Jehovah! Who's this person singing it in a Xmas album?  What the???? Jehovah won't stand for this! Am sure, no infact, am positive our legal team is already on it!  Woe to that guy and his producers, director, studio and orchestra, will all be included in lawsuit.  Some people, I swear, willntry to get away with copyright.  Well they're going to find out the answer us NO, you can't!

On 11/7/2020 at 7:33 AM, Adam! said:

There is no need to contact the branch, they are already aware.

I am sure they are on it. In the Patterson tour they show you some of the things they sue over, one of the displays is a vodka bottle and the distiller used an Awake picture on the label.

On 11/8/2020 at 4:31 PM, Mykyl said:

I think witnesses should stop viewing the video. 😉 32 thousand views. Oops. Glad I don't have to sort it out. 2020 really is a weird year. Who saw one of our songs ending up on a Christmas album. 🤔 😦 Just crazy. Surprised it has not been taken down though as Youtube are usually quick to jump on requests.

I totally agree. Drives me nuts. They are actually promoting it everytime someone views it on youtube.