JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2020 Governing Body Update #9

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1176 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On 12/26/2020 at 4:23 PM, Thesauron said:

It can definitely be. Jesus Christ has been set as judge of such things. And appointed brothers can be removed, and have been.

Were they removed for not social distancing or wearing mask or something along those lines?

Were they removed for not social distancing or wearing mask or something along those lines?

They were removed for disregarding the instructions given about social distancing and putting people’s lives at risk.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, Thesauron said:

They were removed for disregarding the instructions given about social distancing and putting people’s lives at risk.

What happens to regular publishers in your congregation who do that? Are they disciplined to?

On 12/26/2020 at 9:47 PM, Luisabola said:

I was just going to say in our street we have seen soooo many houses with family round, celebrating Christmas just as they usually would be. Most seem to be ignoring the advice. We NEED to be different. We should stand out as different. 

Stay safe everyone!

On 12/28/2020 at 12:34 AM, Dustparticle said:

All, if the governments lift restrictions, then that does not mean the virus has not gone away. Government have their political and greedy agendas of doing so. Yes, we can go along what Romans 13:1 says, but the Bible and common sense says otherwise, then I am going for the last two. Not one government has not understand fully about this virus and that what scare me the most. Buckle down my friends. It is not over yet! Who knows, we might be dealing with this into 2022.

In Portugal, altough we had severe restrictions (not moving out of the council, everything clsed in the afternoons in the weekends, etc.) they opened up the restrictions for the christmas time, 2 days before and two days after. They will close againf only tomorrow... I expect to see an increase in cases on the beginning of January :(

Altough we had several cases of covid in the congregation, thankfully none were serious

I keep the distance and don't visit the brothers, but unfortunetaly I know others thatr don't give attention to the warnings and still go to each others houses 🤷‍♂️

Edited by jayrtom

3 hours ago, jayrtom said:

In Portugal, altough we had severe restrictions (not moving out of the council, everything clsed in the afternoons in the weekends, etc.) they opened up the restrictions for the christmas time, 2 days before and two days after. They will close againf only tomorrow... I expect to see an increase in cases on the beginning of January :(

Altough we had several cases of covid in the congregation, thankfully none were serious

I keep the distance and don't visit the brothers, but unfortunetaly I know others thatr don't give attention to the warnings and still go to each others houses 🤷‍♂️

I visit one brother and we still keep our distance. I think when the crowd reach  5 or 10, then there will the spread starts. We still don't know fully about the disease. 

1 hour ago, Dustparticle said:

I visit one brother and we still keep our distance. I think when the crowd reach  5 or 10, then there will the spread starts. We still don't know fully about the disease. 

No, you don't need a crowd of any ammount. You just need an emissor and a receiver. That will be 2 - Be carefull

If you really need to visit someone bring a mask and have this someone wear one too

8 hours ago, Littlecat said:

What happens to regular publishers in your congregation who do that? Are they disciplined to?

Doing such may disqualify them for "special assignments". They may bot get approved for pioneer service (aux or reg), be used for Zoom meeting assignments (attendant, sound, video) or be used for any other assignments (like food distribution, etc).

This would be no different than removing an Elder or MS. They are not d/f - they are just not qualified for special assignment of serving as an Elder or MS.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Thankfully it has not happened to any publishers in my congregation. They would no longer be considered for special privileges. What happens to publishers in your congregation?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

4 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Thankfully it has not happened to any publishers in my congregation. What happens to publishers in your congregation?

I’ve never heard of anything happening to servants or publishers before I read it on here about servants being removed.

So I honestly do not know what would happen in my congregation .

I’ve never heard of anything happening to servants or publishers before I read it on here about servants being removed.

No doubt the BoE might no longer consider them for special privileges for quite some time.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 minutes ago, Littlecat said:

There might be  an announcement that says..."Br. so-and-so is no longer serving as a ministerial servant"  or "Sr. so-and-so is no longer serving as a Regular Pioneer"

Now the same announcement would be made if that person just told the elders that he or she was unable to continue because of health or other responsibilities.  The announcements do not specify the reason.  But that is what you might hear in your congregation.

3 hours ago, Qapla said:

Doing such may disqualify them for "special assignments". They may bot get approved for pioneer service (aux or reg), be used for Zoom meeting assignments (attendant, sound, video) or be used for any other assignments (like food distribution, etc).

This would be no different than removing an Elder or MS. They are not d/f - they are just not qualified for special assignment of serving as an Elder or MS.

What rules? If not apply, then does this mean they can't go to work, shopping, etc? How far should we go?

I was looking up a completely different subject in my research, but this paragraph caught my eye.  We have been told that individual family heads must make the decisions about the direct application of the Covid-19 recommendations in their immediate families.  However, the GB has repeatedly given counsel, advice and recommendations to all of us by letter, through the elders and in video presentations.  We have received Bible counsel based on security, safety, being alert and wise, treasuring the gift of life in ourselves and others and respecting the law. Though the subject was not the pandemic, here is what I found.

The Watchtower—Study Edition  |  July 2011

17 On the other hand, if we minimized the Bible-based counsel that we receive through the faithful and discreet slave… choosing to follow an independent course, we would be placing ourselves at odds with God’s unfolding purpose. This could endanger our peaceful relationship with Jehovah.

8 minutes ago, jwhess said:

The Watchtower—Study Edition  |  July 2011

17 On the other hand, if we minimized the Bible-based counsel that we receive through the faithful and discreet slave… choosing to follow an independent course, we would be placing ourselves at odds with God’s unfolding purpose. This could endanger our peaceful relationship with Jehovah.

So it looks like sanctions are placed on those who violate the 3 guidelines Br.Lett just reviewed with us . 

That must be at the discretion of the individual elder bodies.Interesting.🤓

2 minutes ago, Littlecat said:

So it looks like sanctions are placed on those who violate the 3 guidelines Br.Lett just reviewed with us . 

That must be at the discretion of the individual elder bodies.Interesting.🤓

I do not think sanctions is the proper word, it is not punishment, it has more to do with the continuing to meet the  qualifications of appointed men. Are they exemplary? One who ignores reasonable direction from our organization might be considered less than exemplary.

Appointed servants, those in LDC or pioneers, even auxiliary pioneers have to be exemplary in conduct to receive/or maintain that privilege. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I meant it like this

[Sanctions, in law and legal definition, are penalties or other means of enforcement used to provide incentives for obedience with the law, or with rules and regulations.]

Once the brothers/sisters get the sense of it  I’m sure they can be used again .

11 hours ago, jayrtom said:

It can only lead to more blood guilt for BtG,

Re 18:24 Yes, in her was found the blood of prophets and of holy ones and of all those who have been slaughtered on the earth.”

The U.K. health system is really struggling with Covid cases and we are yet to see the increase from the extra mingling around the 25th. 😞 

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

18 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

It can only lead to more blood guilt for BtG,

Re 18:24 Yes, in her was found the blood of prophets and of holy ones and of all those who have been slaughtered on the earth.”

The U.K. health system is really struggling with Covid cases and we are yet to see the increase from the extra mingling around the 25th. 😞 

What do the health systems have to do with Babylon the Great?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

57 minutes ago, Old said:

I was replying to the comment about extra pressure due to 25th December etc.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

11 hours ago, Old said:

10 hours ago, ChrisC said:

I was replying to the comment about extra pressure due to 25th December etc.

Jerry, In a sense it has something to do with the Christmas because applying less restrictions on that period was for people to be able to reunite and get the Christmas spirit on their families. It was in a sense doing the will of a part of BTG

18 hours ago, Old said:

I do not think sanctions is the proper word, it is not punishment, it has more to do with the continuing to meet the  qualifications of appointed men. Are they exemplary? One who ignores reasonable direction from our organization might be considered less than exemplary.

Appointed servants, those in LDC or pioneers, even auxiliary pioneers have to be exemplary in conduct to receive/or maintain that privilege. 

Some brothers can twisted rules and scriptural qualifications. People needs to work to pay bills, that means they will run into to many within six feet and I see it too. Are these brothers less exemplary?

12 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

Some brothers can twisted rules and scriptural qualifications. People needs to work to pay bills, that means they will run into to many within six feet and I see it too. Are these brothers less exemplary?

If we go to work we take the necessary precautions. In my company it is required to wear a mask all the time. At lunch we go to the cantine in small groups at different hours and the tables all have cubicles created for each person - But even if it wasn't required I would do it just the same

But the question is about the socialization. As an example: I made some souvenirs to deliver to the brothers of my group and went there personally with a mask. I stayed at the doorway and asked them to not come to me and just pick the bag I was leaving. However almost everybody was saying fo us to enter and have a cup of tea. I had to explain again how that was not advisable. But, one of the families keep insisting saying there was no problem what so ever. Even a couple of day Br so and so was there doing something and had no problem entering the house >>> This is the problem - giving bad examples to the flock!

Also, there is another brother that didn't gave any notice to the warnings and was allways going out to the caffe - He got the virus and so his wife, brother and sister in law, nephews, cousins... 2 complete families!

Edited by jayrtom