JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2020 Governing Body Update #9

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1176 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Being over-cautious is better than being under-cautious.

Also why have we been told to wash our hands regularly if touching surfaces doesn't spread it?

One of the UK government health campaign adverts being shown at the moment shows a man coming home with the shopping, his first action is to wash his hands as they may be contaminated with the virus.

Surfaces do not spread the virus well. It is theoretically possible to contract the virus via surfaces, but highly unlikely. You'd need a unique sequence of events. First, someone would need to get a large enough amount of the virus on a surface to cause infection. Then, the virus would need to survive long enough for you to touch that surface and get some on your hands. Then, without washing your hands, you'd have to touch your eyes, nose, or mouth.

Overkill just risks fatigue and that you forget what is really important.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

15 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Overkill just risks fatigue and that you forget what is really important.

The safety of myself and my family is what is really important and we will continue to do what we feel is necessary

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

We raised 4 children of our own and helped with raising my two nephews and two nieces ... have also been around many, many other small children.  We live on acreage and have animals. When the kids were young we taught them the importance of washing their hands when they came in from playing to eat. Of course, kids being kids, they would sometimes protest - after all, they "only petted the horses" or their hands weren't "that" dirty ... they even wiped them off on their pants. Sometimes, their hands really did look clean. But, guess what ... we insisted they wash their hands anyway.

Why?  Because Jehovah is a clean God and washing hands before you eat just makes sense.

Even though the kids would sometimes complain, they did go wash their hands. I will say, one argument they never used was that "washing their hands when they looked clean was overkill and risked fatigue so they would forget what was really important" - instead, they developed a lifelong habit of washing their hands before they eat.

I guess we could say:

• looking both ways before we cross the street
  • washing our hands before we eat
  • washing our hands after using the restroom
  • checking the mirror before we back up the car
  • wearing a hardhat or other PPE

is just overkill and we risk fatigue so we forget what is really important ....

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

The safety of myself and my family is what is really important and we will continue to do what we feel is necessary

I’m sure you will. It isn’t really supported by good science though, but washing and staying clean, and cleaning your stuff isn’t hurting. However, cleaning items isn’t doing much good either when it comes to this virus. Washing your hands regularly is much more important, it seems.

We raised 4 children of our own and helped with raising my two nephews and two nieces ... have also been around many, many other small children.  We live on acreage and have animals. When the kids were young we taught them the importance of washing their hands when they came in from playing to eat. Of course, kids being kids, they would sometimes protest - after all, they "only petted the horses" or their hands weren't "that" dirty ... they even wiped them off on their pants. Sometimes, their hands really did look clean. But, guess what ... we insisted they wash their hands anyway.

Why?  Because Jehovah is a clean God and washing hands before you eat just makes sense.

Even though the kids would sometimes complain, they did go wash their hands. I will say, one argument they never used was that "washing their hands when they looked clean was overkill and risked fatigue so they would forget what was really important" - instead, they developed a lifelong habit of washing their hands before they eat.

I guess we could say:

• looking both ways before we cross the street
  • washing our hands before we eat
  • washing our hands after using the restroom
  • checking the mirror before we back up the car
  • wearing a hardhat or other PPE
is just overkill and we risk fatigue so we forget what is really important ....

No, washing your hands is good. Washing your goods is overkill. But if it makes you FEEL safer, then go ahead. But remember, it doesn’t do much good.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Washing one's hands has been/ always will be basic good hygiene. I was rather amazed at the hyped attention to that detail during this pandemic- who DOESN'T already wash their hands regularly??? 🤯

Evidently, a lot of people. 🤢  Definitely essential reminders, then... 🤪🤓👍🏼

Edited by Hope

Every single item that comes into this house from outside is wiped down with anti-bacterial wipes, period. Be it delivery packages, letters, anything. It only takes a postman who doesn't know he's infected (and they interact with lots of peope on a daily basis) to cough or sneeze on the package just before he knocks your door or puts it through the letterbox/into the mailbox. And how many people lick envelopes to seal them? (It's why I don't with the letter writing, glue or tape instead for the most hygene). When getting mail, disgard all uneeded and external packaging into the trash, clean the contents and wash hands.

It's the same with food items in shops with people browsing day in day out at many hours, people handle and place them back, cough, sneeze, etc (especially children, who at this time are in schools and are picking up all sorts, including COVID). When shopping, get home, wash hands, clean items, wash hands again. Disgard all uneeded and external packaging into the trash.

In my opinion, saying "that's too far, viruses don't spread on surfaces well anyway" is dicing with death, its naive and doesn't consider all the angles and possibilities.

Edited by EccentricM

Every single item that comes into this house from outside is wiped down with anti-bacterial wipes, period. Be it delivery packages, letters, anything. It only takes a postman who doesn't know he's infected (and they interact with lots of peope on a daily basis) to cough or sneeze on the package just before he knocks your door or puts it through the letterbox/into the mailbox. And how many people lick envelopes to seal them? (It's why I don't with the letter writing, glue or tape instead for the most hygene). When getting mail, disgard all uneeded and external packaging into the trash, clean the contents and wash hands.

It's the same with food items in shops with people browsing day in day out at many hours, people handle and place them back, cough, sneeze, etc (especially children, who at this time are in schools and are picking up all sorts, including COVID). When shopping, get home, wash hands, clean items, wash hands again. Disgard all uneeded and external packaging into the trash.

In my opinion, saying "that's too far, viruses don't spread on surfaces well anyway" is dicing with death, its naive and doesn't consider all the angles and possibilities.

If they lick the letters, whatever little virus that might end up on them stay alive for about 4 hours. And even if it should reach you alive, it is likely not enough to infect you, even if you should touch it and then touch your mouth or eyes or nose.

I also washed my items until I realised it makes no difference what so ever. I am not ‘dicing with death’. I spend my energy focusing on other, much more effective ways of protecting myself and others from this virus.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Washing one's hands has been/ always will be basic good hygiene. I was rather amazed at the hyped attention to that detail during this pandemic- who DOESN'T already wash their hands regularly???

Evidently, a lot of people.   Definitely essential reminders, then...

The problem wasn’t that people didn’t wash their hands, it is that they didn’t know HOW to do it properly. Granted, some people do not have a routine to wash their hands...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

5 minutes ago, Hope said:

Antibacterial wipes don't work on viruses. Be diligent, sure... but understand what we're doing 🤷🏽‍♀️

https://www.today.com/health/how-wash-your-hands-prevent-flu-coronavirus-more-t172753

Is there something that does? I know certain wipes are at  least advertised to do such.

Edited by EccentricM

I'm always extra careful when out.  Touching door handles or anything else another member of the public may have touched, and use hand sanitizer gel every time.

The direction from the Britain Branch, and probably others to, is that anyone who goes to the Kingdom Hall must

"After each visit to the Kingdom Hall, thoroughly clean any areas accessed, disinfecting hard surfaces and touch points."

When I visit the hall each week for the checks, I use hand gel before, during and after the visit.

So wiping down surfaces is still a key part in controlling the virus.  Or is the branch being over-cautious? 

I'm not sure if it is still the case, but I heard that deliveries to the Britain branch office are quarantined for 72 hours.  Maybe someone else can confirm or deny that.

Whatever the case, two phases spring to mind.  Erring on the side of caution, and When in doubt ...

8 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

If they lick the letters, whatever little virus that might end up on them stay alive for about 4 hours. And even if it should reach you alive, it is likely not enough to infect you, even if you should touch it and then touch your mouth or eyes or nose.

I also washed my items until I realised it makes no difference what so ever. I am not ‘dicing with death’. I spend my energy focusing on other, much more effective ways of protecting myself and others from this virus.

You only picked out one part of my argument though, the licking of letters, the rest is all still perfectly feasible. I mean washing hands is fine, right? But if you then after washing hands handle an item not long after its come into the house after a potential infection from someone handling it just before you, you may as well have not washed your hands at all.

Edited by EccentricM

Just now, EccentricM said:

Is there something that does? I know certain wipes are advertised to do such.

Any products that say antiviral probably do.  However, a quick search doesn't reveal any antiviral soaps or products for general use

51 minutes ago, Hope said:

Washing one's hands has been/ always will be basic good hygiene. I was rather amazed at the hyped attention to that detail during this pandemic- who DOESN'T already wash their hands regularly??? 🤯

Evidently, a lot of people. 🤢  Definitely essential reminders, then... 🤪🤓👍🏼

Eating nuts from the bowl at a pub comes to mind  :sick:

You only picked out one part of my argument though, the licking of letters, the rest is all still perfectly feasible. I mean washing hands is fine, right? But if you then after washing hands handle an item not long after its come into the house after a potential infection from someone handling it just before you, you may as well have not washed your hands at all.

The greatest danger is coming near people who breathe on you or sneeze on you. Whatever small dangers that might arise from handling an item that might have a small amount of viruses on it is not a great issue at all. You need enough live virus to come into your respiratory system to infect you.

Wiping them with antibacterial wipes does nothing to prevent that. Keep doing it if it makes you feel better, but isn’t it much better to base your decisions on facts and knowledge?

Let us, for example, say that you visit a buffet, and someone has just sneezed over the chicken wings. Will you get sick if you eat them? Unlikely. However, if you stood near the person sneezing, you might contract the virus. This is why we distance ourselves.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I always wear my mask when out near people- shopping, etc. I have always washed my hands well and generally wipe shopping cart handles. But for myself- ONLY MYSELF- I'm not overly active in the disinfectant area.  

It's long been known that overuse of antibacterial soaps and other products can end up causing bacteria that are resistant to it. Regular soap and thorough hand washing does the trick just as well, and it's less expensive. 

I have a very strong immune system and I rarely leave my house. I'm pretty confident in how I'm managing thus far. 🤷🏽‍♀️  I hope for the best 

6 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Wiping them with antibacterial wipes does nothing to prevent that. Keep doing it if it makes you feel better, but isn’t it much better to base your decisions on facts and knowledge?

I do, and just posted a picture and checked what I was using for that very fact so I could ensure I had the correct products for the situation, as opposed to me just "feeling" better, I was about to message all my family to stop using wipes and find a replacement product, until I doubled checked. I just believe in caution that's all. And as the GB said, "don't be casual" about it.  :)

I mean, I just don't want to take chances, I'd not eat from a buffet that someone sneezed all over at all, that makes no sense, the virus is the virus, and it remains alive on surfaces, in the air or what have you for a long enough period to infect. As you say.. 4 hours, right? If you're living in a place like the UK where everything is so localised, stores, everything, the risk factor is much higher, as there is plenty of time between that timeframe for someone to get infected by touching something then rubbing their eyes, mouth, what have you.

Edited by EccentricM

8 minutes ago, EccentricM said:

image.png.246dab0b370357b13e7d0cf77df8b6ae.png

These are the wipes I have @Hope on the back (I took a pic but its blurred lol), that is kills all sorts of viruses, including 99.9% flu type viruses and alike.

Lysol seems to work!  😃  https://www.healthline.com/health-news/lysol-disinfectant-approved-for-use-against-covid-19-heres-what-else-can-work#Lysol-products-must-be-used-as-directed

I do, and just posted a picture and checked what I was using for that very fact so I could ensure I had the correct products for the situation, as opposed to me just "feeling" better, I was about to message all my family to stop using wipes and find a replacement product, until I doubled checked. I just believe in caution that's all. And as the GB said, "don't be casual" about it. 

I mean, I just don't want to take chances, I'd not eat from a buffet that someone sneezed all over at all, that to make makes no sense, the virus is the virus, and it remains alive on surfaces, in the air or what have you for a long enough period to infect. As you say.. 4 hours, right? If you're living in a place like the UK where everything is so localised, stores, everything, the risk factor is much higher, as there is plenty of time between that timeframe for someone to get infected by touching something then rubbing their eyes, mouth, what have you.

I know that it doesn’t make sense, as such, but I meant to say that the virus does not infect that way.

You need not only the right time frame, but also the right amount of viruses. Someone sneezing over your packages is not enough, just like eating the chicken wings someone just sneezed over hardly is enough to infect you. So wiping your items off is an action that makes little or no difference. I am not saying it is bad or dangerous, only that it might make you relax in more important areas that you really ought to focus on.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”