JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2020 Governing Body Update #9

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1155 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

20 hours ago, Dustparticle said:

What rules? If not apply, then does this mean they can't go to work, shopping, etc? How far should we go?

Do not be concerned with "rules" or even other peoples application of "recommendations".  Focus on the love of neighbor and the extreme lengths we will go to keep them alive and well and safe.  It never has been about "us" and what we want. We offer to die for our brothers, so I am sure we can inconvenience ourselves for them....💗

55 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

If we go to work we take the necessary precautions. In my company it is required to wear a mask all the time. At lunch we go to the cantine in small groups at different hours and the tables all have cubicles created for each person - But even if it wasn't required I would do it just the same

But the question is about the socialization. As an example: I made some souvenirs to deliver to the brothers of my group and went there personally with a mask. I stayed at the doorway and asked them to not come to me and just pick the bag I was leaving. However almost everybody was saying fo us to enter and have a cup of tea. I had to explain again how that was not advisable. But, one of the families keep insisting saying there was no problem what so ever. Even a couple of day Br so and so was there doing something and had no problem entering the house >>> This is the problem - giving bad examples to the flock!

Also, there is another brother that didn't gave any notice to the warnings and was allways going out to the caffe - He got the virus and so his wife, brother and sister in law, nephews, cousins... 2 complete families!

A  brother was telling me about rules and breaking Jehovah standards, yet his wife work in a bank and training another person right beside her. I know an elder work around thousands of people.  I think some has gone overboard of judging others of what we do or not to do. Especially for those who are reaching out.

On 12/29/2020 at 5:03 AM, jayrtom said:

others thatr don't give attention to the warnings and still go to each others houses

That is what my son ( oldest in GTA ) says about brothers renting upstairs where he likes.

All 4 got the virus last spring - one in hospital for 2 weeks, yet they go to parents and close friends all the time.

My son cleans medical labs and is a at high risk of contracting it, yet some continue to ask him to come over for meals, etc.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

5 hours ago, jayrtom said:

This is the problem - giving bad examples to the flock!

We had 2 elderly sisters not related, one would always be at the others house at the zoom meetings sitting side by side for the 1st 6 months or so, the  one who was temporarily staying at her non witness family house came down with the virus, she now has recovered and is now zooming on her own!

Recently I have seen several items saying that venting a room regularly helps if you have to have visitors. Our son throws the windows open for ten minutes when our groceries are delivered even though they don’t actually come in.

(This week the wind will be blowing from the back of the house to the front, so the windows will be open WHILE they are delivering them.)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

9 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

Recently I have seen several items saying that venting a room regularly helps if you have to have visitors. Our son throws the windows open for ten minutes when our groceries are delivered even though they don’t actually come in.

(This week the wind will be blowing from the back of the house to the front, so the windows will be open WHILE they are delivering them.)

So your concern is that covid may be transmitted through the grocerieshttps://www.eatthis.com/food-packaging-coronavirus/

"We know that the highest rate of transmission of the virus is person to person, not broccoli to person."

Jory Lange, a national food safety lawyer, agrees, "While technically possible, it's very unlikely. There are no known cases of COVID-19 from food. According to the CDC and FDA, there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with food or food packaging."

What about the grocery packaging?

The consensus on this one seems to be that, although technically possible, transmitting the virus through inanimate objects such as grocery packaging, is highly unlikely. Studies have shown that coronavirus has the ability to survive on certain surfaces for up to several days, but Katie Heil, a certified food safety professional at State Food Safety, notes that there doesn't seem to be evidence that people can get infected by coming into contact with those surfaces.

Regarding wiping everything down...

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/12/28/948936133/still-disinfecting-surfaces-it-might-not-be-worth-it?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social

Not surprised- I was never into wiping everything down.. maybe just shopping cart handles. Viruses - especially that affect respiratory- are airborne and don't really live on surfaces. Bacteria does... so hand washing remains a great idea.  But wiping down groceries and mail, etc? Nah..

We have been wiping everything down but I am now more concerned about people approaching the front door without a mask. (Everyone. And we now have the c.50% more transmissible virus to think about. With c.1 in 3 cases asymptomatic. )

Our son wears a mask but we also flush the air afterwards because the wind most often blows form the S.E. in the front door.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

On 12/31/2020 at 8:29 AM, Lee49 said:

So your concern is that covid may be transmitted through the grocerieshttps://www.eatthis.com/food-packaging-coronavirus/

"We know that the highest rate of transmission of the virus is person to person, not broccoli to person."

Jory Lange, a national food safety lawyer, agrees, "While technically possible, it's very unlikely. There are no known cases of COVID-19 from food. According to the CDC and FDA, there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with food or food packaging."

What about the grocery packaging?

The consensus on this one seems to be that, although technically possible, transmitting the virus through inanimate objects such as grocery packaging, is highly unlikely. Studies have shown that coronavirus has the ability to survive on certain surfaces for up to several days, but Katie Heil, a certified food safety professional at State Food Safety, notes that there doesn't seem to be evidence that people can get infected by coming into contact with those surfaces.

SELF CHECKOUT.

On 12/30/2020 at 5:35 PM, Hope said:

Regarding wiping everything down...

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/12/28/948936133/still-disinfecting-surfaces-it-might-not-be-worth-it?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social

Not surprised- I was never into wiping everything down.. maybe just shopping cart handles. Viruses - especially that affect respiratory- are airborne and don't really live on surfaces. Bacteria does... so hand washing remains a great idea.  But wiping down groceries and mail, etc? Nah..

I’ve been wiping down groceries every time I go grocery shopping, and I’m getting very worn out. It’s a compulsion now, and I’m afraid to stop. 

1 hour ago, runner92 said:

I’ve been wiping down groceries every time I go grocery shopping, and I’m getting very worn out. It’s a compulsion now, and I’m afraid to stop. 

We still do it, it's a routine that we have become accustomed to. We shop for my mother-in-law so we are happy to put in the extra effort to help reduce the risk of her getting sick.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

We shop for my mother-in-law so we are happy to put in the extra effort to help reduce the risk of her getting sick.

Happy? Extra effort? ...I suppose people in the world take different stand when it comes to mother-in-law LOL :whistling::lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

We still do it, it's a routine that we have become accustomed to. We shop for my mother-in-law so we are happy to put in the extra effort to help reduce the risk of her getting sick.

4 hours ago, runner92 said:

May I ask what do you use to safely wipe down items like meat, frozen vegetables, milk, cheese, etc.  Thank you.

Edited by Snority

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

5 minutes ago, Snority said:

May I ask what do you use to safely wipe down items like meat, frozen vegetables, milk, cheese, etc.  Thank you.

I lightly spray a disinfectant on a microfiber cloth and wipe the sealed packages before storing them or opening them for use.

It has been mentioned that there is less (or even little) chance to contract the viruses through surface contact and that may be true.  But less chance is not NO chance and with older ones or those with underlying problems, a minute or two more might help.

A surface contact and then rubbing your eyes is a possibility.

23 minutes ago, Snority said:

I have two tables set up on my covered patio, I unload the shopping bags on one table and wipe down each item with soapy water, transfer them to the clean table, wipe them with a clean cloth and put them in boxes, then carry them inside. It takes just a few minutes. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I have two tables set up on my covered patio, I unload the shopping bags on one table and wipe down each item with soapy water, transfer them to the clean table, wipe them with a clean cloth and put them in boxes, then carry them inside. It takes just a few minutes. 

Also any safely packed groceries can be sprayed with Sanitizer 

DSC_2525_540x.jpg

hero_grocery_shelf_life_getty_0.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Being over-cautious is better than being under-cautious.

Also why have we been told to wash our hands regularly if touching surfaces doesn't spread it?

One of the UK government health campaign adverts being shown at the moment shows a man coming home with the shopping, his first action is to wash his hands as they may be contaminated with the virus.