JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Broadcasting - April 2021

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1124 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

5 hours ago, Intercore said:

It was so nice to see my friends and enjoy the whole video about Lithuania :)

I loved the scenery of the countryside especially the Baltic Sea. And the kiosk that the brothers set up near the cruise terminal! I can’t wait to visit my brothers and sisters in Lithuania 

39 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

Good video. The food could been worse in Lithuania compare in Scandinavia when they serve goat heads and many parts of Asia fish heads. UUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!! Pass the chocolate!!!

Duo de Bombons Texturizados | Harald

Be my guest, brother Glenn :)

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

10 hours ago, cricket246 said:

I love anime and that is absolutely beautiful!!!!

It was nice to see something different like that. I’m sure those that love anime will love it 😊

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

13 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Hi Paulo!

It's nice to see more Portuguese friends around here :)

I second that!

benvindo 😊

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

I don't know how you view it, but I got some confusion regarding the illustration of the athlete that made everything good (meals, training, clothes, etc...) and still the result wasn't good enough. I didn't understand how it was applied...

I got the main point, we shoudn't get personal excuses regarding how good we do, based on the text, because we easily can say "I'm doing my best, because I shoudn't compare myself to others" - We should still compare ourselves to ourselves best habillities and circunstances. I just didn't understand the comparison with the athlete because he really did his best. He couldn't win because he his not as fast as others.... There is nothing he could do better...

36 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

I don't know how you view it, but I got some confusion regarding the illustration of the athlete that made everything good (meals, training, clothes, etc...) and still the result wasn't good enough. I didn't understand how it was applied...

I got the main point, we shoudn't get personal excuses regarding how good we do, based on the text, because we easily can say "I'm doing my best, because I shoudn't compare myself to others" - We should still compare ourselves to ourselves best habillities and circunstances. I just didn't understand the comparison with the athlete because he really did his best. He couldn't win because he his not as fast as others.... There is nothing he could do better...

With the scripture emphasizing the need to check ourselves and not in comparison to others, the runner illustration seemed to be in comparison to the other runner.

I thought about it and realized that the individual runner  had trained and prepared to a degree that he thought was "best" for him.  He thought the skill, experience and training was "good enough".  He was in a race.  We today are in a race.  I don't compete against my brothers individually, but we have set a goal of attaining the prize of life..  

In the runners case, Paul said in his illustration that only one wins the prize.  1 Cor 9:24..."Do you not know that the runners in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win it."  So in Br. Herd's illustration...we may feel that our skill, experience and training are "good enough" but if it is not sufficient to get us to the prize...then was it really our "best" or "good enough"?

1 hour ago, jayrtom said:

There is nothing he could do better...

Always good in any training, athlete, running illustrations to keep in mind (1 Peter 5:10) . . .But after you have suffered a little while, the God of all undeserved kindness, who called you to his everlasting glory in union with Christ, will himself finish your training. He will make you firm, he will make you strong, he will firmly ground you."

5 hours ago, jwhess said:

So in Br. Herd's illustration...we may feel that our skill, experience and training are "good enough" but if it is not sufficient to get us to the prize...then was it really our "best" or "good enough"?

I agree with your points but this is where I culdn't quite get (I'm going to lisnten again in English to avoid any "lost in translation" issues :) )

Most athlets don't get the prize because it was really impossible to achieve that. I believe the opponent to Usain Bolt had the run of his life but he ciuldn't beat Bolt no matter what... PArticularly in this example we know that no contemporary to Bolt could beat him no matter the ammount of training he did...

1 minute ago, jayrtom said:

I agree with your points but this is where I culdn't quite get (I'm going to lisnten again in English to avoid any "lost in translation" issues :) )

Most athlets don't get the prize because it was really impossible to achieve that. I believe the opponent to Usain Bolt had the run of his life but he ciuldn't beat Bolt no matter what... PArticularly in this example we know that no contemporary to Bolt could beat him no matter the ammount of training he did...

Personally, I feel the idea is to not compare ourselves to others but ourselves. Yes, Blakes was a good runner, and he could likewise boast of being a good runner. But Usain was a better runner. 

The lesson IMHO is to not compare our abilities with others but ourselves. We could boast of doing our best like Blakes, but perhaps, we could still do better like Usain if we exert ourselves a bit more. Hence, are we doing our best?