JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Can we download 4k(UHD) videos of the new Daniel drama??

I think my Roku ultra makes it better on my 65inch 4k Oled TV than 720p. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

1 hour ago, AH173 said:

I think my Roku ultra makes it better on my 65inch 4k Oled TV than 720p. 

If it's not recorded in 4k, though, then it can't be played in 4k.

This is not to diminish your comment, Ashley.  I have no doubt it looks awesome on your TV 

9 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

I have no doubt it looks awesome on your TV 

It looks like the Boulder was going to come outta my screen! :rockon:

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

It would be great although I don't have a TV (but 27" iMac). As @Thesauron said I agree it's more like a low priority. I think brothers/sister in less developed economic countries need help with JW Boxes and projectors (and it would be great to see all Assembly Halls refitted with large screens… 🤩)

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

4K editing is way more demanding, so I am not surprised that brothers stick to lower (acceptable) resolution for the sake of production. 

But I would love to see at least 1080, instead of 720 as a highest resolution.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

My Nvidia Shield does a nice job up- converting it to 4k (looks sharper than the Roku built into my TV). However, it would be nice to have 5.1 sound. With that said, I'm happy with what Jehovah provides.

The trailer to the Daniel movie definitely gives my subwoofer a workout!

Screenshot below is from watching live over zoom.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

12c5d718fc761d89e69c505b23f65fe5.jpg

4K editing is way more demanding, so I am not surprised that brothers stick to lower (acceptable) resolution for the sake of production. 
But I would love to see at least 1080, instead of 720 as a highest resolution.
I have a feeling a lot of the video itself starts in 4k, but to save cost and bandwidth, the branch distributes it in 720P.

One thing from the past, when the first Caleb and Sophia video was released at the convention on DVD, there was a 720P version of it on the DVD as a file to play on your computer.

It was a much higher bit rate than what they ended up putting on the website, which it had better picture quality.

In the end, it's quality of the content that matters the most.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, Jarred said:

However, it would be nice to have 5.1 sound.

I have 5.1 Surround sound and subwoofer and mainly noticed that emphasis was on front speakers. (not much of effects.., there was a bit, but nothing extraordinary.) although the movie itself is amazing. I watched it on 75inch Sony 4K and image quality wasn't bad at all. Loved it. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

27 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

I have 5.1 Surround sound and subwoofer and mainly noticed that emphasis was on front speakers. (not much of effects.., there was a bit, but nothing extraordinary.) although the movie itself is amazing. I watched it on 75inch Sony 4K and image quality wasn't bad at all. Loved it. 

Many TVs seem to have an in-built capacity to sharpen and beauify the overall image quality

I shoot in 4K all the time …. It doesn’t cost anymore to shoot in it than any other size of file. I just downsize to whatever the client wants it in. It just gives me a whole lot more pixels to play with.

They have good equipment anyway.

They have high powered computers and video cards..

The major issue would be downloading massive files to millions of people and most people couldn’t take advantage of 4K anyway… just a waste of server costs.

‘It is all about counting the costs.

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Yes, the option to d/l higher resolution could be available - and how many people would needlessly d/l the higher resolution wasting bandwidth and d/l costs?

720p is fine for most people ... an increase to 1080p would be nice but 4k is not really needed - even though I can watch it on my monitor

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

When we download we get to choose the resolution up to 720p. They could do the same for 1080p and 4k. However the human eye has a hard time telling the difference from more than a few feet away. https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00008601

I could tell with 720p specially with larger screens becoming more common. A lot of scenes looked fuzzy for me. 1080p I think would be a great middle ground, but I know they have server costs.

I thought a good compromise might be have a 1080p or 4k on only movies that way the extra bandwidth is limited to the dramas. Maybe even make that resolution download only so costs dont go up on streaming.

7 hours ago, jwhess said:

When we digitalized our film (16 mm and dvd) in the old days, it was maximum 480p.  At least we made it up to 720p.

I remember when the electronics stores were pushing TV and monitors with  "interlaced" video like 1080i...🙂

We had a 1080i tube tv with component hookups it was interesting. How long have videos for jw broadcast been 720p? 2013?

I remember when shops began selling HD TVs.  The demo model on show would show a split screen video.  One side was the new improved HD, the other the old SD.  But to make more of an impression, I could tell that the SD side was deliberately blurred to make the HD look even sharper.  I think they done that because many people could not see a difference.

It may be because NTSC is 480p and PAL is 576.  The difference between 480 and 720 is 50% increase, whereas between 576 and 720 is only 25% increase.  So 720p was not so much of an increase.  1080p is almost double the resolution of 576.  (and 4K is just a marketing ploy.  4k sounds like it is 4 times better than 1080p, when actually is only 2 times at 2160p)

On a spiritual note.  While we enjoy the special effects, and the brothers are doing an excellent job at this, it is not why they produce the videos.  They are not looking for awards.  It is primarily a teaching aid.  It is not just a video about Daniel's life.  It is a video about his Faith, and how we can imitate that faith and apply can copy it in our lives.  We are about to go through the greatest faith testing time ever.  It is not the awesome FXs that going to save us.  1080p or 4K videos will not make a difference.  It will be our faith that will get us through.

57 minutes ago, lord-360 said:

We had a 1080i tube tv with component hookups it was interesting. How long have videos for jw broadcast been 720p? 2013?

I think it was sometime before 2013, but I can’t know the exact date.

The another interesting “upgrade” to our videos’ resolution in the recent years was that the 480p videos are now provided in 540p. (However, the term “480p” has not changed, even though these videos are actually provided in 540p now.) This happened sometime in 2018.

35 minutes ago, On the huh said:

I remember when shops began selling HD TVs.  The demo model on show would show a split screen video.  One side was the new improved HD, the other the old SD.  But to make more of an impression, I could tell that the SD side was deliberately blurred to make the HD look even sharper.  I think they done that because many people could not see a difference.

It may be because NTSC is 480p and PAL is 576.  The difference between 480 and 720 is 50% increase, whereas between 576 and 720 is only 25% increase.  So 720p was not so much of an increase.  1080p is almost double the resolution of 576.  (and 4K is just a marketing ploy.  4k sounds like it is 4 times better than 1080p, when actually is only 2 times at 2160p)

On a spiritual note.  While we enjoy the special effects, and the brothers are doing an excellent job at this, it is not why they produce the videos.  They are not looking for awards.  It is primarily a teaching aid.  It is not just a video about Daniel's life.  It is a video about his Faith, and how we can imitate that faith and apply can copy it in our lives.  We are about to go through the greatest faith testing time ever.  It is not the awesome FXs that going to save us.  1080p or 4K videos will not make a difference.  It will be our faith that will get us through.

Are you sure? Daniel saw visual aids -the visions- with more than, I believe, 8k resolution! 😀

When we download we get to choose the resolution up to 720p. They could do the same for 1080p and 4k. However the human eye has a hard time telling the difference from more than a few feet away. https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00008601
On 720p on my 55inch and 65inch there is a lot of pixelation and it's very noticeable. I agree it was probably shot in 4k but downsized to save on bandwidth. But Netflix and Disney Plus etc send 4k via some much lower bandwidth so maybe they can use some dynamic resolution technology in the future instead of streaming a whole file.

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

When we digitalized our film (16 mm and dvd) in the old days, it was maximum 480p.  At least we made it up to 720p.

I remember when the electronics stores were pushing TV and monitors with  "interlaced" video like 1080i...
Ya I had a Sony xbr 36" CRT with 1080i via composite and was blown away.

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk