JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

BREAKING NEWS | Adjustments to Mask-Wearing Starting October 1, 2022

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 519 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

11 minutes ago, Adam! said:

Let's see how this goes as we approach winter where colds and infections generally rise. 

I think those in the UK who are eligible for their Covid booster this winter will take it if they are going to be going to theocratic events mask less.

I know a lot of people who straight up said they're not getting anymore boosters. There's only so many of those one can take. With Omicron you can get it over and over again regardless of vax status, and the risk of long-covid is the same for everyone. I would like to keep my sense of taste and smell and not have to deal with brain fog.

8 minutes ago, Loyal said:

Even though the guidelines may not make sense from a human point of view, we need to obey!

Your way of thinking is correct, but in my opinion it doesn't apply in this case. This is not a guideline that the brothers are obliged to follow. This is the end of a restriction, brothers and sisters who want to continue to wear a mask can do so. This kind of thinking is correct and positive when we receive guidance in which we are forced to follow something we don't understand, but we still follow it because we trust Jehovah's organization.

I'm personally happy by this but I empathize with those who will be a bit discouraged by this news. I know quite a few that just recently started attending meetings in person again, despite their health concerns relating to Covid. It was tough for them to socialize at the KH with masks on but they made an effort...now it's gonna be a real struggle, even impossible. Hopefully most don't go back to Zoom. I pray Jehovah gives them peace of mind. 

32 minutes ago, halfspanishlee said:

We can still wear a mask if we want to but you dont have to now is that right? 

This announcement takes effect in October, so we're not there yet. But you're right; we can still wear a mask if we're worried about accidentally infecting others.

The wearing of masks was implemented because it protects others from us, not because it protects us from others.

The children will be happy to not have to wear them. I have mixed feelings about it as actuaIly I do find masks uncomfortable, but I do see the value of using them, particularly the high protection masks. But if this prevents some from staying at home and on Zoom because of needing to wear a mask, then it’s a good step in the right direction. 

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

1 hour ago, runner92 said:

I know a lot of people who straight up said they're not getting anymore boosters. There's only so many of those one can take. With Omicron you can get it over and over again regardless of vax status, and the risk of long-covid is the same for everyone. I would like to keep my sense of taste and smell and not have to deal with brain fog.

I always have problems with taste and smell, but with brain fog, its not thick yet.

I am happy about this.  I still wear a mask 99% of the time shopping.  I will probably start to scale back with that as well.  I've had 3 jabs so I may just go and get the 4th now.  Coming up to summer here downunder it will be a blessing not to have to wear masks.

Jehovah knows best how COVID virus impacts us. 
Common cold was and is inseparably part of living during last days.

Perhaps COVID is getting weaker and weaker through mutations, and becoming exactly like common cold.

The expert said that such viruses, by their very nature tend to become less virulent over time, but there is no set timeframe for how long that would take. “We normally see that viruses become less virulent as they circulate more easily and there is no reason to think we will have a more virulent version of SARS-CoV-2," she noted. Gilbert said the virus that causes Covid-19 will eventually become like the coronaviruses which circulate widely and cause the common cold.

Our Father Jehovah, would never put us in danger, therefore lets trust  current directions as Jehovah is well aware how the COVID mutation takes course. Still if someone does not feel comfortable there is option to wear mask. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Yes, you can still wear one if you want to. At this moment, it is "strongly encouraged" to wear one. So someone would be free to reject this and go to the meeting without a mask, but most friends will wear one.

From October 1, this "strong encouragement" will cease and its up to yourself.

I have a strong feeling that most friends will not wear it. Today at our meeting for service, nobody, except for one brother, used the mask

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Doak said:

Sua maneira de pensar está correta, mas na minha opinião não se aplica neste caso. Esta não é uma diretriz que os irmãos são obrigados a seguir. Este é o fim de uma restrição, irmãos e irmãs que quiserem continuar usando máscara podem fazê-lo. Esse tipo de pensamento é correto e positivo quando recebemos orientações em que somos obrigados a seguir algo que não entendemos, mas mesmo assim seguimos porque confiamos na organização de Jeová.

I understand what you mean and I thank you I said this to calm the spirits of some, because the ad begins with the phrase "The governing body has decided" so let's accept this decision with affection. Jehovah has taken very good care of us. 

Let's hope that, when this change takes place, some don't start treating those who choose to keep wearing a mask as "not following direction"  
Yeah.. True..
I was thinking about the same..

But also the other way around: the friends who will still wear it, to see the brothers who won't as "risky or not thinking about others".

This is a beautiful chance to practice the "you don't need to have an opinion about everything"-idea

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

1 hour ago, halfspanishlee said:

Currently if is "strongly recommended". After October 1, 2022 that will no longer be the recommendation.  I imagine that we will take the sign off the KH door.  More information to follow.