JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

BREAKING NEWS | Adjustments to Mask-Wearing Starting October 1, 2022

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 525 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

1 hour ago, Loyal said:

Even though the guidelines may not make sense from a human point of view, we need to obey!

In this case the only sign of obedience is not complaining.  If people want to wear a mask, that's fine.  The announcement is masks will no longer be strongly encouraged.  The announcement did not say masks will be forbidden 

27 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Let's hope that, when this change takes place, some don't start treating those who choose to keep wearing a mask as "not following direction" :( 

Yeah. It will be a conscious issue, not a directive. So that won’t apply in this case. 

Edited by Bob

Now we know why the sister in the Convention video was selling jewelry. "When you look good, you feel good, with or without a mask"

:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I must say, I'm so far very impressed with the fine attitudes the friends here are showing to this announcement. I understand that emotions are strong because we've been in a state of real threat for so long. That very obviously has changed; the severe threat has dissipated. Jehovah is telling us the storm has passed.

However, it can be difficult to adjust our feelings to changing circumstances. I quite expected many to display a fearful attitude but that hasn't been the case so far. You friends are correctly seeing things Jehovah's way: trust the brothers - which is exactly what we've been saying all along! So kudos to you friends for displaying the right attitude!

39 minutes ago, McKay said:

However, it can be difficult to adjust our feelings to changing circumstances. I quite expected many to display a fearful attitude but that hasn't been the case so far. You friends are correctly seeing things Jehovah's way: trust the brothers - which is exactly what we've been saying all along! So kudos to you friends for displaying the right attitude!

Well, if you’re anything like me, this portion of the announcement is long overdue (slight amount of sarcasm) 😝

But in all seriousness, people have identified with their personalize masks and have gotten used to them and depend on them. 

But since masks are not BANNED then there is no reason to fear - we can still wear one.

I know the announcement isn’t in effect yet and there is more to come, as it stands, it’s a personal choice. 

Atm, every single person in our hall wears a mask, including some of the sisters who give their talks. Most of us attend in person. 

But it’s nice to have the choice as we head into summer. It’s unbearable with a mask. I think during winter, it felt right to wear a mask, not just for covid but for any other bugs. No one caught covid at the meeting. 

But I think the main thing that we must all do is stay home if we are sick!

3 hours ago, halfspanishlee said:

We can still wear a mask if we want to but you dont have to now is that right? 

Correct. Masks have been strongly encouraged since April.  They were never required.  Entry was not prohibited to people without masks, nor were they requested to mask up 

So happy… moving to Personal choice, and personal responsibility. I think assemblies would have had low attendance with masks required (I mean strongly encouraged). Plus it would have been silly to have them on, then everyone goes into the lunch room and takes them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know for a fact (by observation and discussion) that many at our hall went about their personal lives without masks.  At work or employment, shopping, eating at restaurants, attending school meetings and so on.  They were very faithful in putting their masks on for the meeting.  Now, when the new procedures are announced, I am sure they will remove their masks with no more anxiety than any "normal" day in our pandemic world at present.

11 minutes ago, jwhess said:

I know for a fact (by observation and discussion) that many at our hall went about their personal lives without masks.  At work or employment, shopping, eating at restaurants, attending school meetings and so on.  They were very faithful in putting their masks on for the meeting.  Now, when the new procedures are announced, I am sure they will remove their masks with no more anxiety than any "normal" day in our pandemic world at present.

Yeah I haven’t worn a mask in public or at work, shopping, etc since June 2021 when the mandate was lifted by our Governor.

So it’s no problem for me. 

Edited by Bob

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/#newsAlerts

BREAKING NEWS | Adjustments to Mask-Wearing Starting October 1, 2022

The Governing Body has decided that as of October 1, 2022, mask-wearing will no longer be strongly encouraged at congregation meetings or at other theocratic events. This direction also applies to all special full-time servants. More information will be provided in a future announcement to all congregations.

As usual, I imagined there would be comments alluding to how strange it is.

Come on brothers, have some common sense. The Governing Body is always forward moving, it's never stuck in the past. As I explained before, the guidelines regarding covid were a temporary response to a temporary situation.

Now we're at the phase of living with covid, we don't have to wear masks from that date, and I expect the option for some to personally choose to wear one will be there.

We can't be stuck in the past, we must move on. Scientific advancement regarding vaccine production and the view of herd immunity in this area has allowed us to avoid placing these types of restrictions on gatherings.

We followed the Governing Body's direction about wearing masks so willingly, can we perhaps be as willing to remove them? 

Direction has always changed and we must change with it in obedience to Jehovah and the Faithful Slave 😊

13 hours ago, Hope said:

To add to my comment - I always have been wearing lipstick but now I'm happy it won't be smeared! 💋

There´s always the option of no-smear lipstick :D I use it daily

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

1 hour ago, Jay D said:

We followed the Governing Body's direction about wearing masks so willingly, can we perhaps be as willing to remove them? 

Direction has always changed and we must change with it in obedience to Jehovah and the Faithful Slave 😊

With pleasure I will have no mask on 

11 hours ago, Loyal said:

in the convention video the great crowd came out of the great tribulation without masks, let's take it to the positive side 😄😄😄

Also the group in the basement/attic had no masks either :) 

Edited by Sofia

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

I guess the instruction is that one can choose to not wear them, doesn't mean one HAS TO remove them, though..

because in Korea, in some areas, the virus is still strong..

But as the words indicate, wearing a mask isn't strongly encouraged (in Korean, when translated into English, it was along the lines of, don't necessarily have to wear a mask or something like that) 

Ain't that one MUST take them off completely. 

Edited by Hotteok

11 hours ago, jwhess said:

I second this comment. I generally don’t wear a mask when grocery shopping or working out at the gym. At first thought, I will probably go mask wearing at the KH like when I go to a restaurant, go in with it on, and then sit down and take it off. But then again, that will probably last about a day or two. 😏

On 9/7/2022 at 9:33 PM, Qapla said:

Let's hope that, when this change takes place, some don't start treating those who choose to keep wearing a mask as "not following direction" :( 

Let's hope not, as that happened with a few other personal choices relating to the pandemic, on the flip side of the coin, the same principle happened!

On 9/7/2022 at 9:33 PM, Qapla said:

That is inevitable, it would happen in my opinion. Some might even feel those wearing mask are too rigid.... Probably imperfection at work. I really love an Atmosphere where peoples choices are respected

On 9/7/2022 at 11:31 PM, Shawnster said:

Correct. Masks have been strongly encouraged since April.  They were never required.  Entry was not prohibited to people without masks, nor were they requested to mask up 

In some congregation, it was Enforced like a rule to wear a mask. Hahahaha