JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

BREAKING NEWS | Adjustments to Mask-Wearing Starting October 1, 2022

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 518 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

12 hours ago, Canticles said:

In some congregation, it was Enforced like a rule to wear a mask. Hahahaha

I can understand that because when the GB strongly suggests something, that is exactly what they want you to do.  As publishers it is our job to follow the direction of those taking the lead.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Yeah, that's sad. Actually that's going beyond the things the GB asked.
When they say to publishers: "this is the instruction", they expect everyone to comply.

They did "just" strongly encourage us to wear the mask, but they clearly didn't give it as an instruction or rule. So to make it a rule, is actually putting an extra burden on some who do have a problem with it.

(Even though I do understand the motivation of doing so, given the words used and the world conditions, it still doesn't justify going beyond the letter).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Sepie93 said:

Yeah, that's sad. Actually that's going beyond the things the GB asked.
When they say to publishers: "this is the instruction", they expect everyone to comply.

They did "just" strongly encourage us to wear the mask, but they clearly didn't give it as an instruction or rule. So to make it a rule, is actually putting an extra burden on some who do have a problem with it.

(Even though I do understand the motivation of doing so, given the words used and the world conditions, it still doesn't justify going beyond the letter).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

To me the strongly recommended was more to acknowledge that they understand visitors would possibly come without masks. There wouldn’t be the rule of no mask no entry.  
I’m sure they expected the majority of publishers to comply with the direction as we are trained to do so.
Thus this change acknowledges publishers in general have more freedom to do what they feel comfortable with. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

The elders in our congregation read the letters, they explained the seriousness and its importance, they asked us to analyze the need to encourage one another, they read all of the updates, they checked to make sure we understood the situation, had additional masks ready if any forgot or strangers came without one (to offer them the option) and we posted the required notices on the entrance door (and again inside the Kingdom Hall).

No rules were made. Our elders trusted the submissiveness and loyalty to our organizations "strong recommendations".  Every single regular attendee has always masked up, 100%.  The only time an individual has attended without a mask, it was someone not associated directly with our congregation (a worldly relative).  Those occasions can be counted on one hand.  Even our regular Bible Studies came with mask.

Any publisher who forgot, remembered at the door and either used one of the free masks or quickly went home and got their favorite one.

I have been very proud to have these brothers and sisters in my company.  The attendees (in-person) outnumber the Zoom attendees by about 2 or 3 to one.  On one Sunday meeting about three weeks ago it was 106 in person and about 30 on Zoom.  So there was no need for a "rule", the congregation showed heartfelt response to the encouragement of the GB.

I took the LDC Respirator Training in 2018. One thing that struck me was that the questionnaire asked if I had claustrophobia. I discussed this with the trainer as I do get quite anxious in small spaces. He explained that many with claustrophobia experience it with the masks. I'm fortunate that my claustrophobia doesn't extend to mask wearing, the last 2 1/2 years would have been much more miserable.

I'm generally in favor of continuing to wear masks and will do so as long as COVID remains at medium to high levels in the area. I try to keep an eye on local transmission rates and use a variety of sources including wastewater detection now that many cases are going unreported. However I've worked hard to no longer view masking as a moral issue and not judge others for their choices.

Imagine some of the friends who strongly suffer the claustrophobia when they wear their masks. They're not COVID deniers, don't deny the benefits of masking, will do so when necessary and have taken other steps to mitigate their risk. They just can't comfortably wear a mask for hours without strong discomfort and anxiety, a feeling of continually suffocating. I hope our friends like this benefit from the updated guidelines.

Another factor, one likely considered when we were given a choice to wear masks on the platform, is how much some people depend on watching someone speak to aid their understanding of what is being said. Not fully reading lips, but depending on both sight and hearing to understand. Several weeks ago, at the height of the local wave I kept my mask on for a part on stage. Comments were made to my wife and she even mentioned how harder it was for her to focus on what I was saying without seeing my mouth. So the mask came back off for the next part on stage. Those who choose not to mask at the Kingdom Hall after Oct 1st may be better able to communicate and be encouraging to others.

We did everything John mentioned above, but we had a few elders who didn't wear a masks. It's not on the other elders to request why. We have to assume everyone is doing what they should, especially since this was a strong recommendation - not a requirement. I'm certain these few elders and their family are going to be happy that this is all going away in a few weeks. I know I am! Woohoo!

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

21 minutes ago, trottigy said:

We did everything John mentioned above, but we had a few elders who didn't wear a masks. It's not on the other elders to request why. We have to assume everyone is doing what they should, especially since this was a strong recommendation - not a requirement. I'm certain these few elders and their family are going to be happy that this is all going away in a few weeks. I know I am! Woohoo!

Makes you wonder how they felt when the RC video chose "mask wearing" as a point of concern.  Most of the concerns were covered in the short video but the point was made about listening to the GB.  We all  learn by different means.

10 hours ago, jwhess said:

The elders in our congregation read the letters, they explained the seriousness and its importance, they asked us to analyze the need to encourage one another, they read all of the updates, they checked to make sure we understood the situation, had additional masks ready if any forgot or strangers came without one (to offer them the option) and we posted the required notices on the entrance door (and again inside the Kingdom Hall).

No rules were made. Our elders trusted the submissiveness and loyalty to our organizations "strong recommendations".  Every single regular attendee has always masked up, 100%.  The only time an individual has attended without a mask, it was someone not associated directly with our congregation (a worldly relative).  Those occasions can be counted on one hand.  Even our regular Bible Studies came with mask.

Any publisher who forgot, remembered at the door and either used one of the free masks or quickly went home and got their favorite one.

I have been very proud to have these brothers and sisters in my company.  The attendees (in-person) outnumber the Zoom attendees by about 2 or 3 to one.  On one Sunday meeting about three weeks ago it was 106 in person and about 30 on Zoom.  So there was no need for a "rule", the congregation showed heartfelt response to the encouragement of the GB.

Exactly the same. Everyone was with mask

On 9/7/2022 at 9:10 PM, Woanders said:

The children will be happy to not have to wear them. I have mixed feelings about it as actuaIly I do find masks uncomfortable, but I do see the value of using them, particularly the high protection masks. But if this prevents some from staying at home and on Zoom because of needing to wear a mask, then it’s a good step in the right direction. 

Have some stayed away from the meetings because of the need to wear a mask at the K.H?

I must admit many find them uncomfortable, yet still attend the meetings. I don't know anyone in my congregation who is staying on Zoom so as to avoid having to wear a mask at the K.H

1 hour ago, friendlyone said:

Have some stayed away from the meetings because of the need to wear a mask at the K.H?

Not in my congregation (as far as I know), but yes in neighbouring or other congregations there are some who for one reason or another can’t or won’t wear masks. Here on the forums too. I just don’t want to name names. :) 

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

On 9/9/2022 at 2:03 AM, Canticles said:

I can't speak for every government's covid restrictions, so perhaps these congregations were in compliance with local government direction. 

Or perhaps these congregations went beyond what was written.  I can't say. I wasn't there. 

On 9/7/2022 at 11:30 AM, Loyal said:

More information will be provided in a future announcement to all congregations.

The letter to the elders is now available. The announcement will be made this week. No surprises...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 minutes ago, Loopy said:

Grrr! 🤣 We won’t have the announcement tomorrow night 😢 cause our C A is this Sunday 

It says what you expect it to say. Be safe, be loving, make your own decision, respect others decisions. Its really that simple.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

It says what you expect it to say. Be safe, be loving, make your own decision, respect others decisions. Its really that simple.

And adjust the wording on the sign on the KH door.

New wording is provided.

Edited by jwhess

We had the announcement read at our meeting tonight. It’s interesting the announcement  mentioned that if we have COVID, or cold or the flu or symptoms, or have been exposed to someone positive from COVID to stay at home and Zoom. Well many tonight were on Zoom without cameras, while a few families are away on holidays, which left the hall mainly with those who had parts on the meeting. Our daughter came down horribly sick with the flu last night, missed school today, and I sprained my knee from heavy weightlifting, so we had to Zoom in.

But like the announcement said no one should feel, or be made to feel bad, about their mask or non-mask wearing decisions at the KH.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

In our are, children go to school every day without a mask.  Adults go to work every day without a mask.  People of all ages are shopping at the stores without masks.  Most of the witnesses I know and have met in the stores, restaurants and other venues have not been wearing mask (not all but most).  So why should it make any difference to their possible Covid infection?

We have hand sanitizer at the hall, we have training on how to cough into your elbow, we are told to stay home if sick or if exposed.  What more can we do as an organization.  If some individuals want to wear a mask at meetings, good, they are present.  If others do not want to wear one while at the hall, good they are there.  The point is to be there masked or not.  Similar to the angel instructing Gideon, "Go with the strength you have"...Just GO.

On 9/10/2022 at 11:11 PM, Shawnster said:

I can't speak for every government's covid restrictions, so perhaps these congregations were in compliance with local government direction. 

Here in Spain when we resumed meetings at the KH, masks were not encouraged but compulsory due to local laws. That changed at some point when the restriction was raised, but everyone has gone on wearing one at the hall.

We are very used to masks. Since the beginning of the pandemic you couldn't leave your home without wearing one. No mask meant not going to work, not going shopping, not going anywhere. Don't wear a mask and you will basically starve at home (unless someone wearing one brings you food). Even today when most restrictions are raised, you cannot use public transportation or be admitted into a doctor or a drugstore without a mask. I often think of this when I read all the trouble the friends in America cause with masks. If they had been in Spain they would have starved to death, or given in and worn a mask.

Of course from October 1st I think very few, if any, will wear it anymore at the hall.

1 hour ago, carlos said:

often think of this when I read all the trouble the friends in America cause with masks.

Interestingly brother recently Splane quoted….and I quote:
One expert in world politics recently observed: “There is no advanced industrial democracy in the world more politically divided, or politically dysfunctional, than the United States today.”

In Satans world it seems more freedom leads to more disunity. 
Strange how the US and UK start with the word United.

1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."